Internet Shortcuts?

I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
0
Thomas
11/27/2019 1:48:52 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13297 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Thomas Pamin wrote:
> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?

Is an add on disabling URL shortcuts?
Try restarting SM with add ons disabled and see.

0
Paul
11/27/2019 9:24:46 PM
Thomas Pamin wrote:

> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?

WFM, SM 2.49.5 on Win7 Pro SP1.

Your spoofed message header doesn't specify your SM version.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
11/27/2019 9:40:25 PM
On 11/27/2019 1:40 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>
>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
>> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
>> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
>> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
>> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>
> WFM, SM 2.49.5 on Win7 Pro SP1.
>
> Your spoofed message header doesn't specify your SM version.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
	SeaMonkey/2.49.5

Works for me, too.

Check the properties of a problem icon to get its size.  I have several
Internet shortcuts, none of which are as large as 300 bytes (BYTES, not
kilobytes or megabytes).

If it is larger than 300 bytes, it is not an Internet shortcut.  In that
case, try opening it in Wordpad (not Word or Notepad).  You might have a
copy of the HTML of the Web page instead of merely a shortcut to it on
the Web.  That might mean you have dragged something other than a link.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Everready
batteries are okay.
0
David
11/27/2019 10:17:15 PM
On 27.11.2019 14:48, Thomas Pamin wrote:
> On one PC now I can't do that.

WFM with with unzipped unofficial (by wg9s) De SeaMonkey 2.53.1 (NT 6.1; Win64;
x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 Build 20191115130006  (Default Classic
Theme) on German WIN7 64bit

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
11/28/2019 5:28:02 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
>> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
>> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
>> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
>> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>
> Is an add on disabling URL shortcuts?
> Try restarting SM with add ons disabled and see.

I tried SM in Safe Mode. No difference.
0
Thomas
11/28/2019 11:31:59 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/27/2019 1:40 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>
>>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
>>> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
>>> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
>>> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
>>> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>>
>> WFM, SM 2.49.5 on Win7 Pro SP1.
>>
>> Your spoofed message header doesn't specify your SM version.
>>

> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> Works for me, too.
>
> Check the properties of a problem icon to get its size.  I have several
> Internet shortcuts, none of which are as large as 300 bytes (BYTES, not
> kilobytes or megabytes).
>
> If it is larger than 300 bytes, it is not an Internet shortcut.  In that
> case, try opening it in Wordpad (not Word or Notepad).  You might have a
> copy of the HTML of the Web page instead of merely a shortcut to it on
> the Web.  That might mean you have dragged something other than a link.

Size is very small, around 154 bytes.
0
Thomas
11/28/2019 11:33:28 AM
Thomas Pamin wrote:
> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?

No solution found so far. I was able to take a shortcut that I had made
on my desktop awhile ago, and change the target to a website I wanted a
new shortcut for. That worked, but I still can't create a new one by
dragging to the desktop.
0
Thomas
11/28/2019 11:35:28 AM
Thomas Pamin wrote on 28-11-19 12:35:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>
> No solution found so far. I was able to take a shortcut that I had
> made on my desktop awhile ago, and change the target to a website I
> wanted a new shortcut for. That worked, but I still can't create a new
> one by dragging to the desktop.
So you can duplicate a correct shortcut and modify it to target the
webpage you want.
0
Ray_Net
11/28/2019 9:41:27 PM
Thomas Pamin wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>
> No solution found so far. I was able to take a shortcut that I had made
> on my desktop awhile ago, and change the target to a website I wanted a
> new shortcut for. That worked, but I still can't create a new one by
> dragging to the desktop.

Is SM set as your default browser?

0
Paul
11/29/2019 1:40:58 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote on 28-11-19 12:35:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>>
>> No solution found so far. I was able to take a shortcut that I had
>> made on my desktop awhile ago, and change the target to a website I
>> wanted a new shortcut for. That worked, but I still can't create a new
>> one by dragging to the desktop.
> So you can duplicate a correct shortcut and modify it to target the
> webpage you want.

Yes I can do that.
0
Thomas
11/29/2019 11:44:50 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>>
>> No solution found so far. I was able to take a shortcut that I had made
>> on my desktop awhile ago, and change the target to a website I wanted a
>> new shortcut for. That worked, but I still can't create a new one by
>> dragging to the desktop.
>
> Is SM set as your default browser?

Yes it is.
0
Thomas
11/29/2019 11:45:05 AM
Thomas Pamin wrote:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>>
>>> No solution found so far. I was able to take a shortcut that I had made
>>> on my desktop awhile ago, and change the target to a website I wanted a
>>> new shortcut for. That worked, but I still can't create a new one by
>>> dragging to the desktop.
>>
>> Is SM set as your default browser?
>>
> Yes it is.

Most likely it's a registry issue.
Can you create (drag and drop) any desktop shortcuts that work,
like from a Word Doc, Excel, graphics, etc?
Do IE11 drag & drop desktop shortcuts open with IE11?

Do the url shortcuts look correct with no added spaces, etc?

0
Paul
11/29/2019 4:49:44 PM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

>>> Is SM set as your default browser?
>>>
>> Yes it is.
>
> Most likely it's a registry issue.
> Can you create (drag and drop) any desktop shortcuts that work,
> like from a Word Doc, Excel, graphics, etc?
> Do IE11 drag & drop desktop shortcuts open with IE11?
>
> Do the url shortcuts look correct with no added spaces, etc?

I will check on this tomorrow.
0
Tom
11/30/2019 12:17:15 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

>>> Is SM set as your default browser?
>>>
>> Yes it is.
>
> Most likely it's a registry issue.
> Can you create (drag and drop) any desktop shortcuts that work,
> like from a Word Doc, Excel, graphics, etc?
> Do IE11 drag & drop desktop shortcuts open with IE11?
>
> Do the url shortcuts look correct with no added spaces, etc?

I can make shortcuts with other applications. It looks like it's only SM
that has the problem. URL shortcuts look normal, except for SM. When I
drag a site from SM, under Properties the file is called a "URL File",
at 0 bytes. The other normal shortcuts I have are called "Shortcut Files
(.lnk)."
0
Thomas
11/30/2019 11:18:54 AM
Thomas Pamin wrote:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:

>>> Yes it is.
>>
>> Most likely it's a registry issue.
>> Can you create (drag and drop) any desktop shortcuts that work,
>> like from a Word Doc, Excel, graphics, etc?
>> Do IE11 drag & drop desktop shortcuts open with IE11?
>>
>> Do the url shortcuts look correct with no added spaces, etc?
>>
> I can make shortcuts with other applications. It looks like it's only SM
> that has the problem. URL shortcuts look normal, except for SM. When I
> drag a site from SM, under Properties the file is called a "URL File",
> at 0 bytes. The other normal shortcuts I have are called "Shortcut Files
> (.lnk)."

Possible file or registry corruption.
Back up the system first, clone, image, etc.

If it were me I would run a surface scan of the hdd if a spinner.
Next I would run  SFC /SCANNOW  and then try SM.
If no good then I would reinstall SM over itself.
If still no good then I would save all SM personal data and
do an uninstall and reinstall.

0
Paul
11/30/2019 4:43:29 PM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 30-11-19 17:43:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

>>> Most likely it's a registry issue.
>>> Can you create (drag and drop) any desktop shortcuts that work,
>>> like from a Word Doc, Excel, graphics, etc?
>>> Do IE11 drag & drop desktop shortcuts open with IE11?
>>>
>>> Do the url shortcuts look correct with no added spaces, etc?
>>>
>> I can make shortcuts with other applications. It looks like it's only SM
>> that has the problem. URL shortcuts look normal, except for SM. When I
>> drag a site from SM, under Properties the file is called a "URL File",
>> at 0 bytes. The other normal shortcuts I have are called "Shortcut Files
>> (.lnk)."
>
> Possible file or registry corruption.
> Back up the system first, clone, image, etc.
>
> If it were me I would run a surface scan of the hdd if a spinner.
> Next I would run  SFC /SCANNOW  and then try SM.
> If no good then I would reinstall SM over itself.
> If still no good then I would save all SM personal data and
> do an uninstall and reinstall.

Why not after copy of the SM profile when SM is not running then an
uninstall and reinstall.?
0
Ray_Net
11/30/2019 10:10:14 PM
Ray_Net wrote on 30-11-19 23:10:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 30-11-19 17:43:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:

>>> I can make shortcuts with other applications. It looks like it's
>>> only SM
>>> that has the problem. URL shortcuts look normal, except for SM. When I
>>> drag a site from SM, under Properties the file is called a "URL File",
>>> at 0 bytes. The other normal shortcuts I have are called "Shortcut
>>> Files
>>> (.lnk)."
>>
>> Possible file or registry corruption.
>> Back up the system first, clone, image, etc.
>>
>> If it were me I would run a surface scan of the hdd if a spinner.
>> Next I would run  SFC /SCANNOW  and then try SM.
>> If no good then I would reinstall SM over itself.
>> If still no good then I would save all SM personal data and
>> do an uninstall and reinstall.
>>

> Why not after copy of the SM profile when SM is not running then an
> uninstall and reinstall.? ...Directly without all the preceding steps
> you explained.

0
Ray_Net
11/30/2019 10:12:23 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Ray_Net wrote on 30-11-19 23:10:
>> Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 30-11-19 17:43:

>>> Possible file or registry corruption.
>>> Back up the system first, clone, image, etc.
>>>
>>> If it were me I would run a surface scan of the hdd if a spinner.
>>> Next I would run  SFC /SCANNOW  and then try SM.
>>> If no good then I would reinstall SM over itself.
>>> If still no good then I would save all SM personal data and
>>> do an uninstall and reinstall.
>>>

>> Why not after copy of the SM profile when SM is not running then an
>> uninstall and reinstall.? ...Directly without all the preceding steps
>> you explained.

If it were me I would try to determine the condition of the HDD and
possible Windows (not SM) DLL corruption first.

0
Paul
11/30/2019 10:36:38 PM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 30-11-19 23:36:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> Ray_Net wrote on 30-11-19 23:10:

>>> Why not after copy of the SM profile when SM is not running then an
>>> uninstall and reinstall.? ...Directly without all the preceding steps
>>> you explained.
>
> If it were me I would try to determine the condition of the HDD and
> possible Windows (not SM) DLL corruption first.

Yes, I have perfectly understood but why not doing my single steps
before ?...
0
Ray_Net
12/1/2019 9:00:05 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

>>> Most likely it's a registry issue.
>>> Can you create (drag and drop) any desktop shortcuts that work,
>>> like from a Word Doc, Excel, graphics, etc?
>>> Do IE11 drag & drop desktop shortcuts open with IE11?
>>>
>>> Do the url shortcuts look correct with no added spaces, etc?
>>>
>> I can make shortcuts with other applications. It looks like it's only SM
>> that has the problem. URL shortcuts look normal, except for SM. When I
>> drag a site from SM, under Properties the file is called a "URL File",
>> at 0 bytes. The other normal shortcuts I have are called "Shortcut Files
>> (.lnk)."
>
> Possible file or registry corruption.
> Back up the system first, clone, image, etc.
>
> If it were me I would run a surface scan of the hdd if a spinner.
> Next I would run  SFC /SCANNOW  and then try SM.
> If no good then I would reinstall SM over itself.
> If still no good then I would save all SM personal data and
> do an uninstall and reinstall.

So far I reinstalled SM over itself. That didn't solve it. I can go to
any folder on my PC and right click to "Send to Desktop (create
shortcut)". That works fine.
0
Thomas
12/1/2019 11:08:09 AM
Thomas Pamin wrote:
> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?

IMO, the file association got messed up probably by some other program.
I would download and install FileTypesMan and run it.
It is a handy little tool that I use every now and then.
https://filetypesman.en.softonic.com/
Set it to be blank on User Choice
OR
change .url to open with seamonkey.exe.
One of the two should work.
SeaMonkey shortcuts are .url.
IE shortcuts are .website.
I just tried changing my SM shortcuts to open with Notepad
and get the text screen that you are getting.

Create a Restore Point or export / back up the registry first of course.
You can edit the registry directly but FileTypesMan is easier.

0
Paul
12/1/2019 5:27:42 PM
Thomas Pamin wrote on 01-12-19 12:08:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:

>>> I can make shortcuts with other applications. It looks like it's
>>> only SM
>>> that has the problem. URL shortcuts look normal, except for SM. When I
>>> drag a site from SM, under Properties the file is called a "URL File",
>>> at 0 bytes. The other normal shortcuts I have are called "Shortcut
>>> Files
>>> (.lnk)."
>>
>> Possible file or registry corruption.
>> Back up the system first, clone, image, etc.
>>
>> If it were me I would run a surface scan of the hdd if a spinner.
>> Next I would run  SFC /SCANNOW  and then try SM.
>> If no good then I would reinstall SM over itself.
>> If still no good then I would save all SM personal data and
>> do an uninstall and reinstall.
>>
> So far I reinstalled SM over itself. That didn't solve it. I can go to
> any folder on my PC and right click to "Send to Desktop (create
> shortcut)". That works fine.
May be I am wrong, but re-installed SM over itself did not change the
registry.
Uninstall then re-install will create new registry entries.
0
Ray_Net
12/1/2019 9:11:22 PM
On 12/1/2019 3:08 AM, Thomas Pamin wrote:
> So far I reinstalled SM over itself. That didn't solve it. I can go to
> any folder on my PC and right click to "Send to Desktop (create
> shortcut)". That works fine.

A shortcut to a Windows folder or file is NOT the same as an Internet
shortcut.

A shortcut to a Windows folder or file is merely a pointer to the actual
folder or file.  On my PC, they tend to run over 400 bytes.

An Internet shortcut is a text file containing the URI of a Web page
along with a pointer to its cached icon file.  On my PC, they tend to
run under 300 bytes.

What versions of Windows and SeaMonkey are you using?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.
0
David
12/1/2019 9:30:11 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 12/1/2019 3:08 AM, Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> So far I reinstalled SM over itself. That didn't solve it. I can go to
>> any folder on my PC and right click to "Send to Desktop (create
>> shortcut)". That works fine.
>>

> A shortcut to a Windows folder or file is NOT the same as an Internet
> shortcut.
>
> A shortcut to a Windows folder or file is merely a pointer to the actual
> folder or file.  On my PC, they tend to run over 400 bytes.
>
> An Internet shortcut is a text file containing the URI of a Web page I have3
> along with a pointer to its cached icon file.  On my PC, they tend to
> run under 300 bytes.
>
> What versions of Windows and SeaMonkey are you using?

I'm using up-to-date Win 10 and SM 2.49.5. I have 3 other PC's with this
same setup that I have no problems with dragging to get shortcuts.
0
Tom
12/1/2019 11:00:01 PM
Tom Pamin wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 12/1/2019 3:08 AM, Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>> So far I reinstalled SM over itself. That didn't solve it. I can go to
>>> any folder on my PC and right click to "Send to Desktop (create
>>> shortcut)". That works fine.
>>>

>> A shortcut to a Windows folder or file is NOT the same as an Internet
>> shortcut.
>>
>> A shortcut to a Windows folder or file is merely a pointer to the actual
>> folder or file.  On my PC, they tend to run over 400 bytes.
>>
>> An Internet shortcut is a text file containing the URI of a Web page I
>> have3 along with a pointer to its cached icon file.  On my PC, they
>> tend to
>> run under 300 bytes.
>>
>> What versions of Windows and SeaMonkey are you using?
>>
> I'm using up-to-date Win 10 and SM 2.49.5. I have 3 other PC's with this
> same setup that I have no problems with dragging to get shortcuts.

Your UI string shows NT 6.1 so I had assumed Win 7.
I cannot help you with Win 10.  :(

0
Paul
12/1/2019 11:43:00 PM
Thomas Pamin wrote:
> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before the
> url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut. On one
> PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a shortcut
> on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut arrow. That
> means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?

I finally solved this issue. First I did uninstall SM to see if that
would do it. It didn't fix it. I then looked at file associations for
URL files in this PC and my other ones. This PC showed SM for URL files,
while my other PC's showed Internet Browser.

SM did look right to me, but I changed it to Internet Browser to match
my other PC's. That was the solution - it changed things right away, so
now I can drag from SM to my desktop to make an internet shortcut.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
0
Tom
12/2/2019 10:28:34 PM
Tom Pamin wrote:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>
> I finally solved this issue. First I did uninstall SM to see if that
> would do it. It didn't fix it. I then looked at file associations for
> URL files in this PC and my other ones. This PC showed SM for URL files,
> while my other PC's showed Internet Browser.
>
> SM did look right to me, but I changed it to Internet Browser to match
> my other PC's. That was the solution - it changed things right away, so
> now I can drag from SM to my desktop to make an internet shortcut.
> Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks for the update.
Glad it is working again.

0
Paul
12/2/2019 10:37:39 PM
Tom Pamin wrote on 02-12-19 23:28:
> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>
> I finally solved this issue. First I did uninstall SM to see if that
> would do it. It didn't fix it. I then looked at file associations for
> URL files in this PC and my other ones. This PC showed SM for URL
> files, while my other PC's showed Internet Browser.
>
> SM did look right to me, but I changed it to Internet Browser to match
> my other PC's. That was the solution - it changed things right away,
> so now I can drag from SM to my desktop to make an internet shortcut.
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
PERFECT !
Just a question: I am interested to look at my pc about "file
associations for URL files" - Where precisely is located this parameter
? Telle me the steps to find this parameter ...
0
Ray_Net
12/3/2019 7:56:06 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Tom Pamin wrote on 02-12-19 23:28:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>>
>> I finally solved this issue. First I did uninstall SM to see if that
>> would do it. It didn't fix it. I then looked at file associations for
>> URL files in this PC and my other ones. This PC showed SM for URL
>> files, while my other PC's showed Internet Browser.
>>
>> SM did look right to me, but I changed it to Internet Browser to match
>> my other PC's. That was the solution - it changed things right away,
>> so now I can drag from SM to my desktop to make an internet shortcut.
>> Thanks for all the suggestions.
> PERFECT !
> Just a question: I am interested to look at my pc about "file
> associations for URL files" - Where precisely is located this parameter
> ? Telle me the steps to find this parameter ...

Here are two ways that work in Windows 7:

1) Click "Start" or press the Windows key on your keyboard, choose
"Default Programs." Or navigate to \Control Panel\All Control Panel
Items\Default Programs. In both cases, the second option is "Associate a
file type or protocol with a program."

2) In a Windows Explorer window, find a file with the relevant
extension, right-click it, and choose "Open with... Choose default program."

I suspect other versions of Windows may also offer these methods, but I
can't say definitively which do and which don't.

As for "URL files," you won't find any. But if you associate things like
..htm and .html with your preferred browser, that should take care of it.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
12/3/2019 9:08:09 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Tom Pamin wrote on 02-12-19 23:28:
>> Thomas Pamin wrote:
>>> I could always make an internet shortcut by dragging the icon before
>>> the url to the desktop. I could then change the icon of the shortcut.
>>> On one PC now I can't do that. I can drag it, but it does not make a
>>> shortcut on the desktop. It just shows the SM icon with no shortcut
>>> arrow. That means I can't change it's icon. Any ideas?
>>
>> I finally solved this issue. First I did uninstall SM to see if that
>> would do it. It didn't fix it. I then looked at file associations for
>> URL files in this PC and my other ones. This PC showed SM for URL
>> files, while my other PC's showed Internet Browser.
>>
>> SM did look right to me, but I changed it to Internet Browser to match
>> my other PC's. That was the solution - it changed things right away,
>> so now I can drag from SM to my desktop to make an internet shortcut.
>> Thanks for all the suggestions.
> PERFECT !
> Just a question: I am interested to look at my pc about "file
> associations for URL files" - Where precisely is located this parameter
> ? Tell me the steps to find this parameter ...

Just type "file associations" in the search box at the bottom of the
Start Menu. That will bring up all the information you need. There are
links at the bottom of the screen that comes up that will allow you to
choose default apps by file type.
0
Thomas
12/3/2019 12:42:22 PM
Thomas Pamin wrote on 03-12-19 13:42:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> Tom Pamin wrote on 02-12-19 23:28:
>>>
>>> I finally solved this issue. First I did uninstall SM to see if that
>>> would do it. It didn't fix it. I then looked at file associations
>>> for URL files in this PC and my other ones. This PC showed SM for
>>> URL files, while my other PC's showed Internet Browser.
>>>
>>> SM did look right to me, but I changed it to Internet Browser to
>>> match my other PC's. That was the solution - it changed things right
>>> away, so now I can drag from SM to my desktop to make an internet
>>> shortcut. Thanks for all the suggestions.
>> PERFECT !
>> Just a question: I am interested to look at my pc about "file
>> associations for URL files" - Where precisely is located this
>> parameter ? Tell me the steps to find this parameter ...
>
> Just type "file associations" in the search box at the bottom of the
> Start Menu. That will bring up all the information you need. There are
> links at the bottom of the screen that comes up that will allow you to
> choose default apps by file type.
Thank you. I have also "Internet Browser" for .URL
0
Ray_Net