HTML like &apos appearing in rss feeds

Is there a way to stop &apos etc appearing in RSS feed titles? It makes
them rather difficult to read.

I think the fault lies with the originator. But maybe there is an addon?

For example:

UK home to 10 of the world's most prestigious universities

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/rss
0
Richmond
6/16/2017 6:27:01 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12571 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 6/16/2017 11:27 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Is there a way to stop &apos etc appearing in RSS feed titles? It makes
> them rather difficult to read.
>
> I think the fault lies with the originator. But maybe there is an addon?
>
> For example:
>
> UK home to 10 of the world's most prestigious universities

> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/rss

Yes, that usually is caused when the originator of the message (the RSS
message in this case) uses HTML markup inconsistently.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
*  Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
*  Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
*  If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
*  If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??
0
David
6/17/2017 4:40:53 AM
On 17/06/2017 4:27 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Is there a way to stop &apos etc appearing in RSS feed titles? It makes
> them rather difficult to read.
>
> I think the fault lies with the originator. But maybe there is an addon?
>
> For example:
>
> UK home to 10 of the world&apos;s most prestigious universities

> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/rss

Richmond, when I've seen that type of thing ("world&apos;s" when they
want "world's"), I've ASSUMEd it was because the sending has tried to
force me to use a Type font that I don't have installed, or a character
(e.g. ') which my preferred font does not support.

So yes, the fault does lie with the originator trying to force you to
use their font ... or not realising what they are trying to do.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.48 Build identifier: 20170329183526
0
Daniel
6/17/2017 5:02:49 AM
Daniel <daniel@albury.net.spam.au> writes:

> Richmond, when I've seen that type of thing ("world&apos;s" when they want
> "world's"), I've ASSUMEd it was because the sending has tried to force me to
> use a Type font that I don't have installed, or a character (e.g. ') which my
> preferred font does not support.
>
> So yes, the fault does lie with the originator trying to force you to use
> their font ... or not realising what they are trying to do.

I think their fault is that they have used html in a place where it is
not supposed to be used. The subject header is supposed to encode into 7
bit ascii encoding.

Like it says here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/454833/system-net-mail-and-utf-8bxxxxx-headers

I have the font installed, because it is displaying the correct
character in the body of the message.

Here is another example:

Queen says country &apos;resolute in the face of adversity&apos; after

In the body it says:

The usual Queen’s Birthday celebrations have been overshadowed by a “sombre national mood”

(You need utf-8 capable nntp client to see that properly).
0
Richmond
6/17/2017 8:11:10 AM
Here is another link:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33914422/how-can-i-get-effect-of-html-into-emails-subject-line

I think all it needs is an addon to translate &apos; into '. That would
be a compromise, I don't see other examples often, although I expect
&amp; would turn up now and then.
0
Richmond