How to set up home page?

My wife's old computer died, and she has a new one. The question is, how
does she set up a home page in her new computer(also W10)? Her old home
page consisted of hundreds of bookmarks, which she saved on a disc from
her old computer.
Larry
0
Larry
3/17/2020 7:58:49 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13414 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 17.03.2020 20:58, Larry S. wrote:
> My wife's old computer died, and she has a new one. The question is, how
> does she set up a home page in her new computer(also W10)? Her old home
> page consisted of hundreds of bookmarks, which she saved on a disc from
> her old computer.

Assuming that by "home page" you mean an HTML file that was displayed
when you clicked the "Home" button in the bookmarks toolbar just copy
that file to the new computer, open it with SeaMonkey, go to
Edit/Preferences/Browser and click the "Use current page" button. That
will configure the home button load your file.

0
mike
3/17/2020 8:06:53 PM
mike wrote:
> On 17.03.2020 20:58, Larry S. wrote:
>> My wife's old computer died, and she has a new one. The question is, how
>> does she set up a home page in her new computer(also W10)? Her old home
>> page consisted of hundreds of bookmarks, which she saved on a disc from
>> her old computer.
>
> Assuming that by "home page" you mean an HTML file that was displayed
> when you clicked the "Home" button in the bookmarks toolbar just copy
> that file to the new computer, open it with SeaMonkey, go to
> Edit/Preferences/Browser and click the "Use current page" button. That
> will configure the home button load your file.

There's actually a little more.  I'm not sure how Larry was getting this
before, but as noted here, it appears that the home page has been set to
use a bookmarks.html file. If the old computer died, hopefully, he's got
backups to restore from.

Beyond that, there's two ways of creating a bookmarks.html file. You can
do a one-off create with the Bookmarks Manager (Tools -> Export
bookmarks to HTML), or you can do it automatically. There used to be a
control that you could get through via Edit -> Preferences, and that's
how I know that it exists, but I've forgotten where it is, and on a
quick check, I can't find where that setting is.  However, it's
something that actually controlled through the prefs.js file, and if you
go to about:config, you can set browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to
True, and that allows an automatic export of your bookmarks every time
you close down Seamonkey.

With that in place, I have multiple browsers and multiple profiles, and
I've found it useful to set each profile to use the exported
bookmarks.html file as a home page, and as a result, no matter what
browser and profile I'm using, I always have a current list of my
bookmarks immediately available. I've also gone one step further, in
that I periodically copy the bookmarks.html file to a shared location on
my LAN, where I can do the same thing with browsers and profiles on
other computers that are connected to the LAN.

Smith

0
NFN
3/18/2020 3:23:40 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
> mike wrote:
>> On 17.03.2020 20:58, Larry S. wrote:
>>> My wife's old computer died, and she has a new one. The question is, how
>>> does she set up a home page in her new computer(also W10)? Her old home
>>> page consisted of hundreds of bookmarks, which she saved on a disc from
>>> her old computer.
>>
>> Assuming that by "home page" you mean an HTML file that was displayed
>> when you clicked the "Home" button in the bookmarks toolbar just copy
>> that file to the new computer, open it with SeaMonkey, go to
>> Edit/Preferences/Browser and click the "Use current page" button. That
>> will configure the home button load your file.
>>

> There's actually a little more.  I'm not sure how Larry was getting this
> before, but as noted here, it appears that the home page has been set to
> use a bookmarks.html file. If the old computer died, hopefully, he's got
> backups to restore from.
>
> Beyond that, there's two ways of creating a bookmarks.html file. You can
> do a one-off create with the Bookmarks Manager (Tools -> Export
> bookmarks to HTML), or you can do it automatically. There used to be a
> control that you could get through via Edit -> Preferences, and that's
> how I know that it exists, but I've forgotten where it is, and on a
> quick check, I can't find where that setting is.  However, it's
> something that actually controlled through the prefs.js file, and if you
> go to about:config, you can set browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to
> True, and that allows an automatic export of your bookmarks every time
> you close down Seamonkey.
>
> With that in place, I have multiple browsers and multiple profiles, and
> I've found it useful to set each profile to use the exported
> bookmarks.html file as a home page, and as a result, no matter what
> browser and profile I'm using, I always have a current list of my
> bookmarks immediately available. I've also gone one step further, in
> that I periodically copy the bookmarks.html file to a shared location on
> my LAN, where I can do the same thing with browsers and profiles on
> other computers that are connected to the LAN.
>
> Smith

If the bookmarks were backed up as HTML, just dragging and dropping them
onto the browser window should open that file as a page.  Then all you
need to do is set the current page as the home page.

0
EE