How to install and use Seamonkey on my linux machine ?

My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".

My first attempt to install is ;

raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe dans
la base
de données. Cela signifie en général que le paquet est manquant, qu'il
est devenu obsolète
ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
E: Le paquet « seamonkey » n'a pas de version susceptible d'être installée

(in english it's:
Reading package lists ... Done
Building the dependency tree
Reading status information ... Done
No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in the
database
of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become obsolete
or that it is only available from another source
E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be installed)

So I downloaded
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.49.4&os=linux&lang=en-US
from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
I copied this file into the linux directory:
/home/raymond/ADDON/
I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2

This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
With a great number of files.

I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README file
containing the next steps to be done.
But there is no such a file.

What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
lubuntu18.4 system ?
0
Ray_Net
8/7/2019 4:20:25 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13171 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 8/7/19, Ray_Net <TBRRaymond.SchmitTBR@tbrscarlet.be> wrote:
> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>
> My first attempt to install is ;
>
> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des d=C3=A9pendances
> Lecture des informations d'=C3=A9tat... Fait
> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe dans
> la base
> de donn=C3=A9es. Cela signifie en g=C3=A9n=C3=A9ral que le paquet est man=
quant, qu'il
> est devenu obsol=C3=A8te
> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
> E: Le paquet =C2=AB seamonkey =C2=BB n'a pas de version susceptible d'=C3=
=AAtre install=C3=A9e

> (in english it's:
> Reading package lists ... Done
> Building the dependency tree
> Reading status information ... Done
> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in the
> database
> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become obsol=
ete
> or that it is only available from another source
> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be installed)
>
> So I downloaded
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=3Dseamonkey-2.49.4&os=3Dlinux&lang=
=3Den-US
> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
> I copied this file into the linux directory:
> /home/raymond/ADDON/
> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>
> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
> With a great number of files.
>
> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README file
> containing the next steps to be done.
> But there is no such a file.
>
> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
> lubuntu18.4 system ?

My guess is that it's already installed.  (for the raymond userid)  It
looks like all you have to do to run seamonkey is
/home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/run-mozilla.sh

Regards
Lee
0
Lee
8/7/2019 5:54:12 PM
Lee wrote on 07-08-19 19:54:
> On 8/7/19, Ray_Net <TBRRaymond.SchmitTBR@tbrscarlet.be> wrote:
>> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>>
>> My first attempt to install is ;
>>
>> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
>> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
>> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
>> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
>> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe dans
>> la base
>> de données. Cela signifie en général que le paquet est manquant, qu'il
>> est devenu obsolète
>> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
>> E: Le paquet « seamonkey » n'a pas de version susceptible d'être installée
>>
>> (in english it's:
>> Reading package lists ... Done
>> Building the dependency tree
>> Reading status information ... Done
>> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in the
>> database
>> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become obsolete
>> or that it is only available from another source
>> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be installed)
>>
>> So I downloaded
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.49.4&os=linux&lang=en-US
>> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
>> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>> I copied this file into the linux directory:
>> /home/raymond/ADDON/
>> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
>> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>>
>> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
>> With a great number of files.
>>
>> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README file
>> containing the next steps to be done.
>> But there is no such a file.
>>
>> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
>> lubuntu18.4 system ?
> My guess is that it's already installed.  (for the raymond userid)  It
> looks like all you have to do to run seamonkey is
> /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/run-mozilla.sh
>
> Regards
> Lee
The result is:

raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/run-mozilla.sh
run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute .
raymond@raymond-ME051:~$

More info: In the seamonkey directory it looks like that the libraries
are sources and not objects.
See herafter the result of the "dir" command:

raymond@raymond-ME051:~/ADDON/seamonkey$ dir
application.ini            libldap60.so      libsoftokn3.so
blocklist.xml            libldif60.so      libssl3.so
chrome                liblgpllibs.so    libxul.so
chrome.manifest            libmozavcodec.so  license.txt
components            libmozavutil.so   omni.ja
crashreporter            libmozgtk.so      platform.ini
crashreporter.ini        libmozsandbox.so  plugin-container
crashreporter-override.ini  libmozsqlite3.so  precomplete
defaults            libnspr4.so       removed-files
dependentlibs.list        libnss3.so          run-mozilla.sh
dictionaries            libnssckbi.so     seamonkey
extensions            libnssdbm3.chk    seamonkey-bin
fonts                libnssdbm3.so     searchplugins
gtk2                libnssutil3.so    Throbber-small.gif
icons                libplc4.so          updater
icudt58l.dat            libplds4.so       updater.ini
isp                libprldap60.so    update-settings.ini
libfreeblpriv3.chk        libsmime3.so
libfreeblpriv3.so        libsoftokn3.chk
raymond@raymond-ME051:~/ADDON/seamonkey$

0
Ray_Net
8/7/2019 7:47:57 PM
On 8/7/19, Ray_Net <TBRRaymond.SchmitTBR@tbrscarlet.be> wrote:
> Lee wrote on 07-08-19 19:54:
>> On 8/7/19, Ray_Net <TBRRaymond.SchmitTBR@tbrscarlet.be> wrote:
>>> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>>>
>>> My first attempt to install is ;
>>>
>>> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
>>> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
>>> Construction de l'arbre des d=C3=A9pendances
>>> Lecture des informations d'=C3=A9tat... Fait
>>> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe dan=
>>> la base
>>> de donn=C3=A9es. Cela signifie en g=C3=A9n=C3=A9ral que le paquet est m=
anquant, qu'il
>>> est devenu obsol=C3=A8te
>>> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
>>> E: Le paquet =C2=AB seamonkey =C2=BB n'a pas de version susceptible d'=
=C3=AAtre
>>> install=C3=A9e
>>>
>>> (in english it's:
>>> Reading package lists ... Done
>>> Building the dependency tree
>>> Reading status information ... Done
>>> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in the
>>> database
>>> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become
>>> obsolete
>>> or that it is only available from another source
>>> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be installe=
d)

>>> So I downloaded
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=3Dseamonkey-2.49.4&os=3Dlinux&lan=
g=3Den-US
>>> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
>>> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>>> I copied this file into the linux directory:
>>> /home/raymond/ADDON/
>>> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
>>> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
>>> With a great number of files.
>>>
>>> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README fil=
>>> containing the next steps to be done.
>>> But there is no such a file.
>>>
>>> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
>>> lubuntu18.4 system ?
>> My guess is that it's already installed.  (for the raymond userid)  It
>> looks like all you have to do to run seamonkey is
>> /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/run-mozilla.sh
>>
>> Regards
>> Lee
>
> The result is:
>
> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/run-mozilla.sh
> run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute .
> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$

I just tried it & got the same thing :(  This works for me
$ cd ~/ADDON/seamonkey/
$ ./seamonkey
1565210325356   addons.xpi-utils        WARN    Disabling foreign
installed add-on modern@themes.mozilla.org in app-global

Hopefully someone that understands the *nix flavour of SM can say how
to fix the warning.  And also how to install it for everyone vs.
installing in your home directory

& on a related note:
SM 2.49.5 is real close to being released.  The Release Candidate 2 build i=
s at
  https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/candidates/2.49.5-candidates/bu=
ild2/

I'd use that instead of 2.49.4

Regards
Lee
0
Lee
8/7/2019 8:59:50 PM
On 8/7/19 12:20 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>
> My first attempt to install is ;
>
> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe dans
> la base
> de données. Cela signifie en général que le paquet est manquant, qu'il
> est devenu obsolète
> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
> E: Le paquet « seamonkey » n'a pas de version susceptible d'être installée
>
> (in english it's:
> Reading package lists ... Done
> Building the dependency tree
> Reading status information ... Done
> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in the
> database
> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become
> obsolete
> or that it is only available from another source
> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be installed)
>
> So I downloaded
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.49.4&os=linux&lang=en-US
> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
> I copied this file into the linux directory:
> /home/raymond/ADDON/
> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>
> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
> With a great number of files.
>
> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README file
> containing the next steps to be done.
> But there is no such a file.
>
> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
> lubuntu18.4 system ?

Here is how I did it for the 64-bit contributed build.

Saved the file from <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#contrib>
to my Downloads folder.

Went to the Downloads folder in File Manager

Right clicked the file and selected "Extract to..."

Selected Home/Apps (a folder I created for Firefox, SeaMonkey and
Thunderbird installations) in the Select Extract Destination dialog.

Clicked the Select button in the upper right of that dialog window.

The I went to Home/Apps in the File Manager, selected the
seamonkey-2.49.4.en-US.linux-x86_64 folder.

Right clicked and selected "Rename" from the context menu and changed
the name of the folder to seamonkey.

If you follow those steps and click on the folder you will see another
folder named seamonkey. That is where the executable, other folders and
files are located. I don't know why Ubuntu does it that way.

Next I opened the Terminal and typed Apps/seamonkey/seamonkey/seamonkey
-p to launch the profile manager. You can probably leave off the -p if
you don't have any other profiles on your system.

Then I created a desktop launcher to get around having to open the
terminal each time I wanted to open SeaMonkey.

HTH

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/
On 8/7/19 12:20 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>
> My first attempt to install is ;
>
> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe dans
> la base
> de données. Cela signifie en général que le paquet est manquant, qu'il
> est devenu obsolète
> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
> E: Le paquet « seamonkey » n'a pas de version susceptible d'être installée
>
> (in english it's:
> Reading package lists ... Done
> Building the dependency tree
> Reading status information ... Done
> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in the
> database
> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become
> obsolete
> or that it is only available from another source
> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be installed)
>
> So I downloaded
> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.49.4&os=linux&lang=en-US
> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
> I copied this file into the linux directory:
> /home/raymond/ADDON/
> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>
> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
> With a great number of files.
>
> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README file
> containing the next steps to be done.
> But there is no such a file.
>
> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
> lubuntu18.4 system ?

Here are a couple links for creating a launcher on the desktop.

<https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux>

<https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-desktop-file-linux/>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/
MTOLRP
0
WaltS48
8/8/2019 12:07:43 AM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 8/7/19 12:20 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>>
>> My first attempt to install is ;
>>
>> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
>> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
>> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
>> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
>> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe
>> dans la base
>> de données. Cela signifie en général que le paquet est manquant,
>> qu'il est devenu obsolète
>> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
>> E: Le paquet « seamonkey » n'a pas de version susceptible d'être
>> installée
>>
>> (in english it's:
>> Reading package lists ... Done
>> Building the dependency tree
>> Reading status information ... Done
>> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in
>> the database
>> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become
>> obsolete
>> or that it is only available from another source
>> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be
>> installed)
>>
>> So I downloaded
>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.49.4&os=linux&lang=en-US
>> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
>> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>> I copied this file into the linux directory:
>> /home/raymond/ADDON/
>> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
>> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>>
>> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
>> With a great number of files.
>>
>> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README file
>> containing the next steps to be done.
>> But there is no such a file.
>>
>> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
>> lubuntu18.4 system ?
>
> Here are a couple links for creating a launcher on the desktop.
>
> <https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux>
>

> <https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-desktop-file-linux/>

use the ubuntizilla repository
0
Ronnie
8/8/2019 1:37:10 AM
Lee wrote:

> Hopefully someone that understands the *nix flavour of SM can say how
> to fix the warning.  And also how to install it for everyone vs.
> installing in your home directory

When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,
but if you want to manually do it from the tarball as you have then:

1. Move seamonkey dir to /opt
sudo mv  ./ADDON/seamonkey /opt/

2. Fix ownership to root
sudo chown -R  root:root  /opt/seamonkey

3. Create symbolic link
sudo ln -s  /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey

4. Install app icon
sudo cp /opt/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey-mozilla-build.png

5. Create system wide shortcut:
/usr/share/applications/seamonkey-mozilla-build.desktop

Contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Mozilla Build of Seamonkey
GenericName=Internet Suite
Comment=Web Browser, Email/News Client, HTML Editor, IRC Client
Exec=seamonkey %u
Icon=seamonkey-mozilla-build
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
StartupWMClass=SeaMonkey
Type=Application
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Email;WebDevelopment;IRCClient;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;x-scheme-handler/mailto;

###### I create my own custom one with right-click menu actions
~/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop

Contents:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0

Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Seamonkey
Name=Welcome to SeaMonkey - SeaMonkey
Exec=seamonkey
StartupNotify=false
Icon=eamonkey-mozilla-build
Actions=NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;Mail;Compose;Contacts;

[Desktop Action NewWindow]
Name=Open a New Window
Exec=seamonkey -new-window

[Desktop Action NewPrivateWindow]
Name=Open a New Private Window
Exec=seamonkey -private-window

[Desktop Action Mail]
Name=Mail Client
Exec=seamonkey -mail

[Desktop Action Compose]
Name=Compose New Message
Exec=seamonkey -compose

[Desktop Action Contacts]
Name=Contacts
Exec=seamonkey -addressbook

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
8/8/2019 5:10:39 AM
Jonathan N. Little wrote on 08-08-19 07:10:
> Lee wrote:
>
>> Hopefully someone that understands the *nix flavour of SM can say how
>> to fix the warning.  And also how to install it for everyone vs.
>> installing in your home directory
>>
> When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,
> but if you want to manually do it from the tarball as you have then:
>
> 1. Move seamonkey dir to /opt
> sudo mv  ./ADDON/seamonkey /opt/
>
> 2. Fix ownership to root
> sudo chown -R  root:root  /opt/seamonkey
>
> 3. Create symbolic link
> sudo ln -s  /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey
>
> 4. Install app icon
> sudo cp /opt/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png
> /usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey-mozilla-build.png
>
> 5. Create system wide shortcut:
> /usr/share/applications/seamonkey-mozilla-build.desktop
>
> Contents:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Mozilla Build of Seamonkey
> GenericName=Internet Suite
> Comment=Web Browser, Email/News Client, HTML Editor, IRC Client
> Exec=seamonkey %u
> Icon=seamonkey-mozilla-build
> Terminal=false
> X-MultipleArgs=false
> StartupWMClass=SeaMonkey
> Type=Application
> Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Email;WebDevelopment;IRCClient;
> MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;x-scheme-handler/mailto;
>
> ###### I create my own custom one with right-click menu actions
> ~/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
>
> Contents:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
>
> Type=Application
> StartupWMClass=Seamonkey
> Name=Welcome to SeaMonkey - SeaMonkey
> Exec=seamonkey
> StartupNotify=false
> Icon=eamonkey-mozilla-build
> Actions=NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;Mail;Compose;Contacts;
>
> [Desktop Action NewWindow]
> Name=Open a New Window
> Exec=seamonkey -new-window
>
> [Desktop Action NewPrivateWindow]
> Name=Open a New Private Window
> Exec=seamonkey -private-window
>
> [Desktop Action Mail]
> Name=Mail Client
> Exec=seamonkey -mail
>
> [Desktop Action Compose]
> Name=Compose New Message
> Exec=seamonkey -compose
>
> [Desktop Action Contacts]
> Name=Contacts
> Exec=seamonkey -addressbook

For me, this is very very complicated.
You said "

When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,

"
Could you or someone tell ma how to install SeaMonkey in my lubuntu18.04
usng the easy way.
Because "sudo apt-get install seamonkey " this is NOT working.
I had done before "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" and Thunderbird was
installed very simply - just ONE command.
0
Ray_Net
8/8/2019 7:38:06 AM
Ronnie wrote on 08-08-19 03:37:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 8/7/19 12:20 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
>>> My linux machine run under "lubuntu 18.4".
>>>
>>> My first attempt to install is ;
>>>
>>> raymond@raymond-ME051:~$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey
>>> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
>>> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
>>> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
>>> Aucune version du paquet seamonkey n'est disponible, mais il existe
>>> dans la base
>>> de données. Cela signifie en général que le paquet est manquant,
>>> qu'il est devenu obsolète
>>> ou qu'il n'est disponible que sur une autre source
>>> E: Le paquet « seamonkey » n'a pas de version susceptible d'être
>>> installée
>>>
>>> (in english it's:
>>> Reading package lists ... Done
>>> Building the dependency tree
>>> Reading status information ... Done
>>> No version of the seamonkey package is available, but it exists in
>>> the database
>>> of data. This usually means that the package is missing, has become
>>> obsolete
>>> or that it is only available from another source
>>> E: The "seamonkey" package does not have a version that can be
>>> installed)
>>>
>>> So I downloaded
>>> https://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.49.4&os=linux&lang=en-US
>>> from the page https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
>>> This action gives me this file: seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>>> I copied this file into the linux directory:
>>> /home/raymond/ADDON/
>>> I go to this directory and I type in a LXTerminal this command:
>>> tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> This action creates the directory /home/raymond/ADDON/seamonkey/
>>> With a great number of files.
>>>
>>> I have read that normally into this directory i should see a README
>>> file
>>> containing the next steps to be done.
>>> But there is no such a file.
>>>
>>> What should I do now to pursue the seamonkey installation on my
>>> lubuntu18.4 system ?
>>
>> Here are a couple links for creating a launcher on the desktop.
>>
>> <https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux>
>>

>> <https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-desktop-file-linux/>
>>

> use the ubuntizilla repository
Could you tell me all the needed commands I must do, using that way ?
0
Ray_Net
8/8/2019 7:47:15 AM
Ray_Net wrote on 08-08-19 09:38:
> [...]
>> Name=Open a New Private Window
>> Exec=seamonkey -private-window
>>
>> [Desktop Action Mail]
>> Name=Mail Client
>> Exec=seamonkey -mail
>>
>> [Desktop Action Compose]
>> Name=Compose New Message
>> Exec=seamonkey -compose
>>
>> [Desktop Action Contacts]
>> Name=Contacts
>> Exec=seamonkey -addressbook
>>

> For me, this is very very complicated.
> You said "
>
> When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,
>
> "
> Could you or someone tell ma how to install SeaMonkey in my
> lubuntu18.04 usng the easy way.
> Because "sudo apt-get install seamonkey " this is NOT working.
> I had done before "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" and Thunderbird
> was installed very simply - just ONE command.

I found the way of running it:
Go into the ADDON/seamonkey directory
and type: ./seamonkey-bin

Unfortunately when I goes to a site seamonkey crashed.
I tried seamonkey because the already installed FireFox crashed with the
same page :-(
0
Ray_Net

8/8/2019 9:27:59 AM
On 2019-08-08, Ray_Net wrote:

> Jonathan N. Little wrote on 08-08-19 07:10:
>> Lee wrote:
[...]
>> When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,
>> but if you want to manually do it from the tarball as you have then:
[...]
> For me, this is very very complicated.
> You said "
>
> When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,
>
> "
> Could you or someone tell ma how to install SeaMonkey in my
> lubuntu18.04 usng the easy way.
> Because "sudo apt-get install seamonkey " this is NOT working.
> I had done before "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" and Thunderbird
> was installed very simply - just ONE command.

It does not work because you don't have any repository with that
package. Thunderbird, on the other hand, must be available from the
repositories you have currently configured in your system.

The list of package repositories used by the package manager in your
system is at /etc/apt/sources.list. In order to add ubuntuzilla, you
need to add a line to this file (as superuser/root), pointing to the
ubuntuzilla repositories:

    deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main

and then you need to import a GPG public key and update the package
list. After this, you should be able to install seamonkey-mozilla-build.

The commands are in [1], which also links to a "GUI tutorial"[2].

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/#installation
[2] https://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ubuntuzilla

(Apologies for any mistake, I don't frequently use debian, ubuntu or
other systems with apt. I hope the ubuntuzilla I found is the correct
one.)

--
Nuno Silva
0

Have you tried the contrib version?

<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#contrib>

32 bits seamonkey doesn't work on 64 bits linux (I don't know why)...

Just untar seamonkey and just run :

seamonkey-buildversion/s
eamonkey/seamonkey &

--

Sorry for possible mistakes in English!
http://pasdenom.info/
On 8/8/19 8:05 AM, Yamo' wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried the contrib version?
>
> <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#contrib>
>
> 32 bits seamonkey doesn't work on 64 bits linux (I don't know why)...

It needs the 32-bit dependencies installed in the 64-bit Linux.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/
MTOLRP
0
WaltS48
8/8/2019 2:56:17 PM
On 8/8/19 3:38 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
> [...]
>> Actions=NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;Mail;Compose;Contacts;
>>
>> [Desktop Action NewWindow]
>> Name=Open a New Window
>> Exec=seamonkey -new-window
>>
>> [Desktop Action NewPrivateWindow]
>> Name=Open a New Private Window
>> Exec=seamonkey -private-window
>>
>> [Desktop Action Mail]
>> Name=Mail Client
>> Exec=seamonkey -mail
>>
>> [Desktop Action Compose]
>> Name=Compose New Message
>> Exec=seamonkey -compose
>>
>> [Desktop Action Contacts]
>> Name=Contacts
>> Exec=seamonkey -addressbook
>>

> For me, this is very very complicated.
> You said "
>
> When using the ubuntuzilla it does just that and simplifies the process,
>
> "
> Could you or someone tell ma how to install SeaMonkey in my lubuntu18.04

I gave you the easy way. Forget Linux repositories and get it direct
from the manufacturer.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/
MTOLRP
0
WaltS48
8/8/2019 2:58:13 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Ray_Net wrote on 08-08-19 09:47:
>> Ronnie wrote on 08-08-19 03:37:

>>> use the ubuntizilla repository
>> Could you tell me all the needed commands I must do, using that way ?
> I found the way of running it:
> Go into the ADDON/seamonkey directory
> and type: ./seamonkey-bin
>
> Unfortunately when I goes to a site seamonkey crashed.
> I tried seamonkey because the already installed FireFox crashed with
> the same page :-(

Ubuntuzilla is pretty easy...

https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/#installation
0
Ronnie
8/8/2019 5:04:09 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 8/8/19 8:05 AM, Yamo' wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried the contrib version?
>>
>> <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#contrib>
>>
>> 32 bits seamonkey doesn't work on 64 bits linux (I don't know why)...
>>

> It needs the 32-bit dependencies installed in the 64-bit Linux.

I relly hope that ewong manages to upload build 3 which is the current and
hopefully final build soon so that this can be laid at rest. the new download
page will have an entry for x64 64 bit.
In the mean time if you need a new install just grab candidate 2 in the
language of your choice.

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/candidates/2.49.5-candidates/build2/linux-x86_64/

There is noting worng with it. The difference to 3 is neglectable.
0
Frank
8/8/2019 5:25:19 PM
Yamo' wrote on 08-08-19 14:05:
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried the contrib version?
>
> <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#contrib>
>
> 32 bits seamonkey doesn't work on 64 bits linux (I don't know why)...
>

> Just untar seamonkey and just run :
>
> seamonkey-buildversion/s
> eamonkey/seamonkey &

My pc is old and it's a 32 bits one.
0
Ray_Net
8/8/2019 7:20:32 PM
On 8/8/19 3:20 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
> Yamo' wrote on 08-08-19 14:05:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried the contrib version?
>>
>> <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#contrib>
>>
>> 32 bits seamonkey doesn't work on 64 bits linux (I don't know why)...
>>

>> Just untar seamonkey and just run :
>>
>> seamonkey-buildversion/s
>> eamonkey/seamonkey &
>>

> My pc is old and it's a 32 bits one.

Then install a 32-bit version in the language of your choice from
<http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#official> snd follow my

Or just wait until 2.49.5 is out. I think it will be soon.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/
MTOLRP
0
WaltS48
8/8/2019 9:04:55 PM
Ray_Net wrote:

> Could you or someone tell ma how to install SeaMonkey in my lubuntu18.04
> usng the easy way.
> Because "sudo apt-get install seamonkey " this is NOT working.

4 lines...

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all
main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mozilla.list'

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 2667CA5C

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build

--
Take care,

Jonathan