how do i backup my profile

I installed SeaMonkey when I bought my PC in 2011.  Like others, I am
having problems with SeaMonkey now.  I have so many questions, so I'll
ask one at a time.

I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."

How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords
intact.

BTW, I'm running Windows 10, 12 GB of RAM, and an I7 CPU.

Thanx
0
Jim
10/9/2020 12:16:54 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13631 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 10/8/2020 5:16 PM, Jim wrote:
> I installed SeaMonkey when I bought my PC in 2011.  Like others, I am
> having problems with SeaMonkey now.  I have so many questions, so I'll
> ask one at a time.
>
> I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
> seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
> The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
> profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."
>
> How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords
> intact.
>
> BTW, I'm running Windows 10, 12 GB of RAM, and an I7 CPU.
>
> Thanx

For 2.49.4:

1.  On the menu bar, select [Help > Troubleshooting Information].

2.  On the Troubleshooting Information window, under Application Basics,
select the Open Folder button to the right of Profile Folder.

3.  Note the name of the folder just below the Windows Explorer title bar.

4.  To the left of the name of the folder in Windows Explorer, select
the up arrow.

5.  Copy the the folder to someplace else on your PC.

Repeat the above if you have multiple profiles.  I would do this every
time I updated SeaMonkey.

I have now frozen my SeaMonkey version at 2.49.5; that is, I no longer
update.  That is because later versions are not compatible with
extension I use.  There are no equivalent compatible extensions and no
inherent capabilities in SeaMonkey that provide the same functionality.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump told us the
virus would disappear by April.  Later, he said it would be gone
when the weather turned hot.

In Ventura County (population less than 850,000), there were
2,134 new COVID-19 infections in September as the temperature
reached 117F.  That month, there were also 36 deaths, a persistent
daily death rate through the entire month of 1.2%.

At one time, Trump claimed COVID-19 was a Democrat hoax.  Now
Trump has the virus.  Schadenfreude!

I don't think COVID-19 will disappear until after Trump disappears.
0
David
10/9/2020 4:40:01 AM
Jim wrote:
> I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
> seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
> The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
> profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."
>
> How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords
> intact.

Assuming Windows (any version, even 2000 or XP):

Use the Explorer and enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla into the address bar.  Copy
the Seamonkey folder to another location, such as your downloads folder.
  If you need to recover a backup, simply reverse, copying from
Downloads back to %APPDATA%\Mozilla .

Done

Because Mozilla data is not intended to be interacted with directly at
file level, it's located in a hidden folder, and you won't find the
folder by simple browsing unless you set the Explorer to show hidden
files and folders.  However, the %APPDATA% construct ignores hidden folders.

One aside -- unless you are in the habit of doing full-image backups,
it's likely that you're not getting backups of your Seamonkey profile.
If your backup tool supports environment variables, you should make sure
you include %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey in what is getting backed up.
If your backup tool won't let you do that, then I suggest the same
procedure as above, where you copy the Seamonkey folder to a location
that is normally included in backups.

Smith

0
NFN
10/9/2020 3:21:49 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 10/9/20 5:21 PM:
> Jim wrote:
>> I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
>> seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
>> The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
>> profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."
>>
>> How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords intact.
>
> Assuming Windows (any version, even 2000 or XP):
>
> Use the Explorer and enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla into the address bar.  Copy the
> Seamonkey folder to another location, such as your downloads folder.  If you
> need to recover a backup, simply reverse, copying from Downloads back to
> %APPDATA%\Mozilla .
>
> Done
>

> Because Mozilla data is not intended to be interacted with directly at file
> level, it's located in a hidden folder, and you won't find the folder by simple
> browsing unless you set the Explorer to show hidden files and folders.  However,
> the %APPDATA% construct ignores hidden folders.
>
> One aside -- unless you are in the habit of doing full-image backups, it's
> likely that you're not getting backups of your Seamonkey profile. If your backup
> tool supports environment variables, you should make sure you include
> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey in what is getting backed up. If your backup tool
> won't let you do that, then I suggest the same procedure as above, where you
> copy the Seamonkey folder to a location that is normally included in backups.
>
> Smith

copy .mailrc backupdevice/.mailrc

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
SeaMonkey/2.53.3
Build identifier: 20200606200440

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
10/9/2020 3:33:30 PM
GerardJan wrote on 10/9/20 5:33 PM:
> NFN Smith wrote on 10/9/20 5:21 PM:
>> Jim wrote:
>>> I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
>>> seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
>>> The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
>>> profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."
>>>
>>> How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords intact.
>>
>> Assuming Windows (any version, even 2000 or XP):
>>
>> Use the Explorer and enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla into the address bar.  Copy the
>> Seamonkey folder to another location, such as your downloads folder.  If you
>> need to recover a backup, simply reverse, copying from Downloads back to
>> %APPDATA%\Mozilla .
>>
>> Done
>>

>> Because Mozilla data is not intended to be interacted with directly at file
>> level, it's located in a hidden folder, and you won't find the folder by
>> simple browsing unless you set the Explorer to show hidden files and folders.
>> However, the %APPDATA% construct ignores hidden folders.
>>
>> One aside -- unless you are in the habit of doing full-image backups, it's
>> likely that you're not getting backups of your Seamonkey profile. If your
>> backup tool supports environment variables, you should make sure you include
>> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey in what is getting backed up. If your backup tool
>> won't let you do that, then I suggest the same procedure as above, where you
>> copy the Seamonkey folder to a location that is normally included in backups.
>>
>> Smith
>>
> copy .mailrc backupdevice/.mailrc

sorry, i meant this:
copy .mozilla backupdevice/.mozilla

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
SeaMonkey/2.53.3
Build identifier: 20200606200440

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
10/9/2020 3:34:41 PM
Jim wrote:
> I installed SeaMonkey when I bought my PC in 2011.  Like others, I am
> having problems with SeaMonkey now.  I have so many questions, so I'll
> ask one at a time.
>
> I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
> seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
> The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
> profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."
>
> How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords
> intact.
>
> BTW, I'm running Windows 10, 12 GB of RAM, and an I7 CPU.

As well as backing up the profile, also take note of the following
paragraph near the top of the release notes if you use a master password:
> Important only if you upgrade from 2.49.5 or an earlier version: Due to changes in the user profile, if you have set a master password, you will have to remove it before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.4. After a successful upgrade, don't forget to manually remove the files key3.db and cert8.db in your profile afterwards, as they include credentials and passwords no longer protected by a master password. You can find the path to your profile folder entering the special about:support URL in a SeaMonkey browser window.
> You can remove your master password by providing an empty password in the "Change Master Password" dialog. Do not use the "Reset Password" function. You will lose all stored passwords this way.

key3.db and cert8.db might not exist after SeaMonkey has updated the
profile.  Check the numbers in those file names - DO NOT delete key4.db
and cert9.db, since those are the versions in the new format.

After starting SeaMonkey for the first time and allowing it to convert
the profile, you can set the master password again.  It just needs to be
cleared before upgrading and running the new version for the first time
so that it can do the conversion.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
10/9/2020 6:57:42 PM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 09-10-20 20:57:

> key3.db and cert8.db might not exist after SeaMonkey has updated the
> profile.  Check the numbers in those file names - DO NOT delete
> key4.db and cert9.db, since those are the versions in the new format.

I am under 2.53.3 and I have all those 4 files ...
0
Ray_Net
10/9/2020 10:07:12 PM
Ray_Net wrote on 10/10/20 12:07 AM:
> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 09-10-20 20:57:
>>
>> key3.db and cert8.db might not exist after SeaMonkey has updated the profile.
>> Check the numbers in those file names - DO NOT delete key4.db and cert9.db,
>> since those are the versions in the new format.
>>
> I am under 2.53.3 and I have all those 4 files ...

Dear Ray,
I am using the /Bourne shell/

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
SeaMonkey/2.53.3
Build identifier: 20200606200440

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
10/10/2020 6:29:56 AM
On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 8:17:01 PM UTC-4, Jim wrote:
> I installed SeaMonkey when I bought my PC in 2011. Like others, I am
> having problems with SeaMonkey now. I have so many questions, so I'll
> ask one at a time.
>
> I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they
> seemed to be getting worse. I see that SM has released version 2.53.4.
> The instructions warn: "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your
> profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."
>
> How do I do that? I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords
> intact.
>
> BTW, I'm running Windows 10, 12 GB of RAM, and an I7 CPU.
>
> Thanx
additonally , to backup extensions use  FEBE or mozbak extension  , others https://alternativeto.net/software/febe/
0
rmpbklyn