Highly Confusing "Print To File" - Where does it go ?

I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)

I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
"Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
NO choices are given to place - just File Name....

Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.

Searching for the file name gets me no-where !

Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
Sorry for that !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/10/2020 9:43:17 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13325 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

DoctorBill wrote:
> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>
> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>
> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>
> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
> Sorry for that !
>
> DoctorBill

I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.

If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the
location and rename the file.

You don't have that?
0
WaltS48
1/10/2020 10:56:52 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>
> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>
> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>
> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
> Sorry for that !
>
> DoctorBill

No telling where it gets printed to on your machine or what it's name
is.  Print another one and watch very carefully where it goes and what
it is named.
Or, use search everything to find it... if you know it's name.

0
Paul
1/10/2020 10:59:57 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows
>> (7).....(?)
>>
>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.
>
> If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the
> location and rename the file.
>
> You don't have that?

No !   Here are my options in the Print Box that comes up....

My Brother Laser Printer
FAX
hp 1310 BubbleJet Printer
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Send to OneNote 2016

Then off to the right is a "Print to File" box

That's it.  No idea what the last two are.....

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 12:16:14 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows
>> (7).....(?)
>>
>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> No telling where it gets printed to on your machine or what it's name
> is.  Print another one and watch very carefully where it goes and what
> it is named.
> Or, use search everything to find it... if you know it's name.

There is nothing to watch !  Bam ! - done - nothing to see.

I tried searching with the file name - nothing shows up !  Not sure
anything WAS saved !

According to a Google Search - a WHOLE LOT of folks do ot understand what
this "Save To File" does !  Few answers to their questions make sense,
either.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 12:18:56 AM
DoctorBill:

>I tried searching with the file name - nothing shows up !  Not sure
>anything WAS saved !

I find your description of the problem highly confusing. ;) Assuming you
are using the possibilities of SM and are unsure, what the filename and
the location of the file, SM is printing to, is, you can do this:

Open about:config in the browser part of SM and there type in the Search
field print_to_filename.

In my case the result is

Preference Name
    print.print_to_filename
Value
    /home/hafi/mozilla.pdf

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
1/11/2020 12:37:37 AM
On 2020-01-10, WaltS48 wrote:

> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>>
>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.
>
> If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the
> location and rename the file.
>
> You don't have that?

I think what you (WaltS48) are describing is a different feature, the
"print to file" option in the GTK print dialog, which (at least here) is
shown as if it were a printer itself (in the list of printers or
printing methods which are available).

What DoctorBill is describing sounds like the "Print to file" checkbox
in the Windows print dialog. This option, instead of sending the data to
the printer, will store it in a file.

In my experience, the "File:" prompt will accept a full path, that is,
starting from a "drive letter" and with directories, say,
A:\dir\example.dat.

Screenshots:
- Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdialogboxxp.png
- GTK 3: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/printdialog.png

--
Nuno Silva
0
On 1/10/20 7:16 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that=

>>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows=20
>>> (7).....(?)
>>>
>>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her=

>>> "Claims Activity" link.=C2=A0=C2=A0 That goes to a HUGE List (she had=
 cancer)=20
>>> which
>>> has a "Print" button.=C2=A0 Clicking THAT sends me to the print Optio=
ns.
>>> One "Option" is=C2=A0 - PRINT TO FILE.
>>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>>
>>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of=

>>> Gobble-De-Gook !=C2=A0 One opinion after another !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Mostly=
 rubbish.

>>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?=C2=A0 I know it is OFF =
TOPIC.
>>> Sorry for that !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.
>>
>> If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the=20
>> location and rename the file.
>>
>> You don't have that?
>=20
> No !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Here are my options in the Print Box that comes up....=

>=20
> My Brother Laser Printer
> FAX
> hp 1310 BubbleJet Printer
> Microsoft XPS Document Writer
> Send to OneNote 2016
>=20
> Then off to the right is a "Print to File" box
>=20
> That's it.=C2=A0 No idea what the last two are.....
>=20
> DoctorBill
>=20

I was hoping to avoid screenshots, but this is what I see using=20
SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Ubuntu Linux.

<https://imgur.com/8o3M050>

If I click where the mouse pointer is (~/mozilla.pdf,) I get the file=20
manager window where I can choose a location to save the file and rename =
it.

It may be different in SeaMonkey on Windows 10.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/11/2020 12:51:11 AM
Hartmut Figge wrote:
> DoctorBill:
>
>> I tried searching with the file name - nothing shows up !  Not sure
>> anything WAS saved !
>
> I find your description of the problem highly confusing. ;) Assuming you
> are using the possibilities of SM and are unsure, what the filename and
> the location of the file, SM is printing to, is, you can do this:
>
> Open about:config in the browser part of SM and there type in the Search
> field print_to_filename.
>
> In my case the result is
>
> Preference Name
>      print.print_to_filename
> Value
>      /home/hafi/mozilla.pdf
>
> Hartmut

I don't get that when I do as you said.
'print_to_filename' is not in my "about:config" using "SEARCH".
I looked with search - then I looked by scrolling.
there are only MANY of....
print.printer_then names of the two printers I use.

NO "print_to_filename" anywhere.

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 12:51:51 AM
On 2020-01-10, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>>
>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> No telling where it gets printed to on your machine or what it's name
> is.  Print another one and watch very carefully where it goes and what
> it is named.
> Or, use search everything to find it... if you know it's name.

In a quick test here, when I gave it only a filename, the file was
created in the same directory as seamonkey.exe.

If you start Seamonkey using a shortcut, I would start by looking in the
"starting directory" for that shortcut (see "Start in" in the shortcut
properties: https://i.stack.imgur.com/rvcI1.png )

--
Nuno Silva
0
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/10/20 7:16 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.
>>>
>>> If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the
>>> location and rename the file.
>>>
>>> You don't have that?
>>
>> No !   Here are my options in the Print Box that comes up....
>>
>> My Brother Laser Printer
>> FAX
>> hp 1310 BubbleJet Printer
>> Microsoft XPS Document Writer
>> Send to OneNote 2016
>>
>> Then off to the right is a "Print to File" box
>>
>> That's it.  No idea what the last two are.....
>>
>> DoctorBill
>>

> I was hoping to avoid screenshots, but this is what I see using
> SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Ubuntu Linux.
>
> <https://imgur.com/8o3M050>
>
> If I click where the mouse pointer is (~/mozilla.pdf,) I get the file
> manager window where I can choose a location to save the file and rename
> it.
>
> It may be different in SeaMonkey on Windows 10.

I don't get anything like the image in your screenshot.
Guess I'll have to do some screenshots myself....

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 12:54:25 AM
Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2020-01-10, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>>>
>>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>>
>>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>>
>>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>>> Sorry for that !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.
>>
>> If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the
>> location and rename the file.
>>
>> You don't have that?
>
> I think what you (WaltS48) are describing is a different feature, the
> "print to file" option in the GTK print dialog, which (at least here) is
> shown as if it were a printer itself (in the list of printers or
> printing methods which are available).
>
> What DoctorBill is describing sounds like the "Print to file" checkbox
> in the Windows print dialog. This option, instead of sending the data to
> the printer, will store it in a file.
>
> In my experience, the "File:" prompt will accept a full path, that is,
> starting from a "drive letter" and with directories, say,
> A:\dir\example.dat.
>
> Screenshots:
> - Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdialogboxxp.png
> - GTK 3: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/printdialog.png

OK....Yes - I am talking about the first screenshot that you labeled
"windows" - THAT is what I see.
The second one "GTK"  - ??????

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 12:57:03 AM
On 1/10/20 7:44 PM, Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2020-01-10, WaltS48 wrote:
>=20
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that=

>>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7)...=
=2E.(?)

>>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her=

>>> "Claims Activity" link.=C2=A0=C2=A0 That goes to a HUGE List (she had=
 cancer) which
>>> has a "Print" button.=C2=A0 Clicking THAT sends me to the print Optio=
ns.
>>> One "Option" is=C2=A0 - PRINT TO FILE.
>>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>>
>>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of=

>>> Gobble-De-Gook !=C2=A0 One opinion after another !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Mostly=
 rubbish.

>>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?=C2=A0 I know it is OFF =
TOPIC.
>>> Sorry for that !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> I see File: ~/mozilla.pdf in my print dialog.
>>
>> If I click that, I get a File Manager dialog where I can select the
>> location and rename the file.
>>
>> You don't have that?
>=20
> I think what you (WaltS48) are describing is a different feature, the
> "print to file" option in the GTK print dialog, which (at least here) i=
> shown as if it were a printer itself (in the list of printers or
> printing methods which are available).
>=20
> What DoctorBill is describing sounds like the "Print to file" checkbox
> in the Windows print dialog. This option, instead of sending the data t=
> the printer, will store it in a file.
>=20
> In my experience, the "File:" prompt will accept a full path, that is,
> starting from a "drive letter" and with directories, say,
> A:\dir\example.dat.
>=20
> Screenshots:
> - Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images=
/printdialogboxxp.png
> - GTK 3: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/printdialog.png
>=20

I'll have to check on Windows in the next couple of days.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/11/2020 12:58:28 AM
Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2020-01-10, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>>>
>>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>>
>>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>>
>>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>>> Sorry for that !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> No telling where it gets printed to on your machine or what it's name
>> is.  Print another one and watch very carefully where it goes and what
>> it is named.
>> Or, use search everything to find it... if you know it's name.
>
> In a quick test here, when I gave it only a filename, the file was
> created in the same directory as seamonkey.exe.
>
> If you start Seamonkey using a shortcut, I would start by looking in the
> "starting directory" for that shortcut (see "Start in" in the shortcut
> properties: https://i.stack.imgur.com/rvcI1.png )

..
BINGO !  THAT is where it is !  No file extension, though !
Tried opening with Open Office - got mostly ascii characters ????
No File type ?   Acrobat cannot open it, either.
The TYPE just says "File".

 From my ignorance - do I have to install some kind of File Handling
Program
to do this ?  Google search says this is OLD OLD stuff from many years ago.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 1:06:28 AM
Hartmut Figge wrote on 11/01/20 11:37:
> DoctorBill:
>
>> I tried searching with the file name - nothing shows up !  Not sure
>> anything WAS saved !
>
> I find your description of the problem highly confusing. ;) Assuming you
> are using the possibilities of SM and are unsure, what the filename and
> the location of the file, SM is printing to, is, you can do this:
>
> Open about:config in the browser part of SM and there type in the Search
> field print_to_filename.
>
> In my case the result is
>
> Preference Name
>      print.print_to_filename
> Value
>      /home/hafi/mozilla.pdf
>
> Hartmut

Are you suggesting, Hartmut, that then, if DocBill were to Double-click
on that value (/home/hafi/mozilla.pdf in your case), DocBill should be
able to send the file wherever he wanted .... say
C:\DocBill\Documents\TestResults.pdf ??

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/11/2020 1:13:29 AM
Daniel:
>Hartmut Figge wrote on 11/01/20 11:37:

>> Preference Name
>>      print.print_to_filename
>> Value
>>      /home/hafi/mozilla.pdf
>>
>> Hartmut
>>
>Are you suggesting, Hartmut, that then, if DocBill were to Double-click
>on that value (/home/hafi/mozilla.pdf in your case), DocBill should be
>able to send the file wherever he wanted .... say
>C:\DocBill\Documents\TestResults.pdf ??

No. The goal was to determine filename and path of the file SM would be
printing to. Seeing the reply of Bill I have checked in in a new
profile. The pref is indeed not there.

It is created the first time the print dialog is opened.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
1/11/2020 1:21:46 AM
On 1/10/20 7:54 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:

F TOPIC.

>>> No !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Here are my options in the Print Box that comes up..=
=2E.

>>> My Brother Laser Printer
>>> FAX
>>> hp 1310 BubbleJet Printer
>>> Microsoft XPS Document Writer
>>> Send to OneNote 2016
>>>
>>> Then off to the right is a "Print to File" box
>>>
>>> That's it.=C2=A0 No idea what the last two are.....
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>>

>> I was hoping to avoid screenshots, but this is what I see using=20
>> SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Ubuntu Linux.
>>
>> <https://imgur.com/8o3M050>
>>
>> If I click where the mouse pointer is (~/mozilla.pdf,) I get the file =

>> manager window where I can choose a location to save the file and=20
>> rename it.
>>
>> It may be different in SeaMonkey on Windows 10.
>>
>=20
> I don't get anything like the image in your screenshot.
> Guess I'll have to do some screenshots myself....
>=20
> DoctorBill
>=20

No need. I saw Nuno's in another post.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/11/2020 1:31:59 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Hartmut Figge wrote on 11/01/20 11:37:
>> DoctorBill:
>>
>>> I tried searching with the file name - nothing shows up !  Not sure
>>> anything WAS saved !
>>
>> I find your description of the problem highly confusing. ;) Assuming you
>> are using the possibilities of SM and are unsure, what the filename and
>> the location of the file, SM is printing to, is, you can do this:
>>
>> Open about:config in the browser part of SM and there type in the Search
>> field print_to_filename.
>>
>> In my case the result is
>>
>> Preference Name
>>      print.print_to_filename
>> Value
>>      /home/hafi/mozilla.pdf
>>
>> Hartmut
>>
> Are you suggesting, Hartmut, that then, if DocBill were to Double-click
> on that value (/home/hafi/mozilla.pdf in your case), DocBill should be
> able to send the file wherever he wanted .... say
> C:\DocBill\Documents\TestResults.pdf ??

..
I tried to put a PATH into the Filename - like
C:/blahblah
and THAT went to the C - root directory - but was unreadable by Open
office,
NotePad and Acrobat.   It is a strange kind of file..... (?)
I then tried giving it an extension .prn.   Same result even with a .prn
ext.

I am thinking that I NEED to find a program that shows up in the PRINT Box
as a printer but just saves what is picked on a web page (in my case a
list of
Healthcare claims) to some USABLE type of file - to be opened by some
program.
I suppose that is called a "VIRTUAL Printer"....

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 1:45:39 AM
Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Daniel:
>> Hartmut Figge wrote on 11/01/20 11:37:
>
>>> Preference Name
>>>       print.print_to_filename
>>> Value
>>>       /home/hafi/mozilla.pdf
>>>
>>> Hartmut
>>>
>> Are you suggesting, Hartmut, that then, if DocBill were to Double-click
>> on that value (/home/hafi/mozilla.pdf in your case), DocBill should be
>> able to send the file wherever he wanted .... say
>> C:\DocBill\Documents\TestResults.pdf ??
>
> No. The goal was to determine filename and path of the file SM would be
> printing to. Seeing the reply of Bill I have checked in in a new
> profile. The pref is indeed not there.
>
> It is created the first time the print dialog is opened.
>
> Hartmut

A Ha !  Question - can I insert (edit) into the Config file what you
said should be there ?

i.e.  print_to_filename   blah   blah  blah   etc  in that Print_printer
blah blah area ?

Would that "program" into SM's config what I need ?

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 1:49:04 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>
> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>
> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>
> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
> Sorry for that !
>
> DoctorBill

SO - THIS  IS  a problem involving SeaMonkey's Config File ?
What I read in my Google Searching was correct ! ?

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 1:50:55 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>
> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>
> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>
> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
> Sorry for that !
>
> DoctorBill

Note - I Googled what "MicroSoft XPS Document Writer" is all about.

THAT is what you can use to "Print to File", but it saves in a
Non-Usable file
type that ONLY XPS Document Writer can open.  Can't modify it or convert it.
Typical MS proprietary BS - wizzing in the corners of their territory.

One Note 2016 seems to be an enigma.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 1:55:20 AM
DoctorBill:
>Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Daniel:

>>> Are you suggesting, Hartmut, that then, if DocBill were to Double-click
>>> on that value (/home/hafi/mozilla.pdf in your case), DocBill should be
>>> able to send the file wherever he wanted .... say
>>> C:\DocBill\Documents\TestResults.pdf ??
>>
>> No. The goal was to determine filename and path of the file SM would be
>> printing to. Seeing the reply of Bill I have checked in in a new
>> profile. The pref is indeed not there.
>>
>> It is created the first time the print dialog is opened.
>
>A Ha !  Question - can I insert (edit) into the Config file what you
>said should be there ?
>
>i.e.  print_to_filename   blah   blah  blah   etc  in that Print_printer
>blah blah area ?
>
>Would that "program" into SM's config what I need ?

The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that opens
the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename and
path. Look at the replies of Walt.

I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
1/11/2020 2:01:27 AM
Hartmut Figge wrote:
> DoctorBill:
>> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>>> Daniel:

>>> No. The goal was to determine filename and path of the file SM would be
>>> printing to. Seeing the reply of Bill I have checked in in a new
>>> profile. The pref is indeed not there.
>>>
>>> It is created the first time the print dialog is opened.
>>
>> A Ha !  Question - can I insert (edit) into the Config file what you
>> said should be there ?
>>
>> i.e.  print_to_filename   blah   blah  blah   etc  in that Print_printer
>> blah blah area ?
>>
>> Would that "program" into SM's config what I need ?
>
> The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that opens
> the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename and
> path. Look at the replies of Walt.
>
> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>
> Hartmut

..
NO...it does not do that.  That is why I asked about it.
I described what it does when I posted this.
Nun Salva posted what I see.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdialogboxxp.png

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 2:16:54 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> DoctorBill:

>>> A Ha !  Question - can I insert (edit) into the Config file what you
>>> said should be there ?
>>>
>>> i.e.  print_to_filename   blah   blah  blah   etc  in that Print_printer
>>> blah blah area ?
>>>
>>> Would that "program" into SM's config what I need ?
>>
>> The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that opens
>> the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename and
>> path. Look at the replies of Walt.
>>
>> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>>
>> Hartmut
>>
> .
> NO...it does not do that.  That is why I asked about it.
> I described what it does when I posted this.
> Nun Salva posted what I see.
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdialogboxxp.png

My Bad ! Sorry !      It doesn't even look that good !
I did a screensave and put together what I see.
https://i.postimg.cc/W4k58sw3/Save-to-File-Problem.jpg
Hope this clears it up somewhat....

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 2:29:16 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows
>> (7).....(?)
>>
>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer)
>> which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> Note - I Googled what "MicroSoft XPS Document Writer" is all about.
>
> THAT is what you can use to "Print to File", but it saves in a
> Non-Usable file
> type that ONLY XPS Document Writer can open.  Can't modify it or
> convert it.
> Typical MS proprietary BS - wizzing in the corners of their territory.
>
> One Note 2016 seems to be an enigma.
>
> DoctorBill

Using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Windows 10.

I click File > Print.
The Print dialog opens with my default Brother HL-2040 series printer
selected.
I select "Print to file".
I click "OK".
I get a "Save Print Output As" window where I can select a folder where
I want to save the file. Currently it is the Downloads folder.
The "File name:" field is empty. I can type anything in there that I
want to call the file.
There is a "Save as type" drop down list under that with "Printer Files
(*prn) already selected.
If I click the selection I get an "All Files (*)" choice.
Selecting that I see all the files in my Downloads folder.

If I click on my printer name, there is a drop down with other print
formats I can select in this order.

Fax
Microsoft Print to PDF
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
One Note
Send to OneNote 2016

If I was printing to a file I would chose Microsoft Print to PDF,
because it will automatically select and add the .pdf file type to
whatever I name the file in the "File name:" field.

You may have to install the Adobe Reader DC application to open and read
the PDF files if you don't have a way to open them.

<https://get.adobe.com/reader/>

Make sure you get the right version for your operating system and
disable the installation of McAfee Safe Connect.

0
WaltS48
1/11/2020 2:39:41 AM
On 1/10/20 9:01 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> DoctorBill:
>> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>>> Daniel:

>>> No. The goal was to determine filename and path of the file SM would be
>>> printing to. Seeing the reply of Bill I have checked in in a new
>>> profile. The pref is indeed not there.
>>>
>>> It is created the first time the print dialog is opened.
>>
>> A Ha !  Question - can I insert (edit) into the Config file what you
>> said should be there ?
>>
>> i.e.  print_to_filename   blah   blah  blah   etc  in that Print_printer
>> blah blah area ?
>>
>> Would that "program" into SM's config what I need ?
>
> The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that opens
> the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename and
> path. Look at the replies of Walt.
>
> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>
> Hartmut

Not really.

I replied to another post with step by step instructions on how it works
for me using SeaMonkey on Windows 10, with the suggestion to select
"Microsoft Print to PDF" which should automatically add the .pdf file
type. All he has to do is type a file name into the "File name:" field.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/11/2020 2:48:40 AM
On 1/10/20 9:29 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>>> DoctorBill:

 blah=C2=A0=C2=A0 etc=C2=A0 in that=20

>>> The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that op=
ens
>>> the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename =
and
>>> path. Look at the replies of Walt.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>>>
>>> Hartmut
>>>
>> .
>> NO...it does not do that.=C2=A0 That is why I asked about it.
>> I described what it does when I posted this.
>> Nun Salva posted what I see.
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdial=
ogboxxp.png=20

>=20
> My Bad ! Sorry !=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 It doesn't even look tha=
t good !
> I did a screensave and put together what I see.
> https://i.postimg.cc/W4k58sw3/Save-to-File-Problem.jpg
> Hope this clears it up somewhat....
>=20

Well, for one I don't think you select a printer when you want to use=20
Print to file.

I don't see the Microsoft Print to PDF selection in that drop down.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/11/2020 2:54:08 AM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/10/20 9:01 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> DoctorBill:

>>> A Ha !  Question - can I insert (edit) into the Config file what you
>>> said should be there ?
>>>
>>> i.e.  print_to_filename   blah   blah  blah   etc  in that Print_printer
>>> blah blah area ?
>>>
>>> Would that "program" into SM's config what I need ?
>>
>> The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that opens
>> the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename and
>> path. Look at the replies of Walt.
>>
>> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>>
>> Hartmut
>>

> Not really.
>
> I replied to another post with step by step instructions on how it works
> for me using SeaMonkey on Windows 10, with the suggestion to select
> "Microsoft Print to PDF" which should automatically add the .pdf file
> type. All he has to do is type a file name into the "File name:" field.

..
Right now I am on win 7 machine.
I'll note this down for my win 10 machine.
Thanks.

Note I am going to Post a finding from the TOP post - I found a solution !

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 2:55:57 AM
WaltS48 wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows
>>> (7).....(?)
>>>
>>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer)
>>> which
>>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>>
>>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>>
>>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>>> Sorry for that !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> Note - I Googled what "MicroSoft XPS Document Writer" is all about.
>>
>> THAT is what you can use to "Print to File", but it saves in a
>> Non-Usable file
>> type that ONLY XPS Document Writer can open.  Can't modify it or
>> convert it.
>> Typical MS proprietary BS - wizzing in the corners of their territory.
>>
>> One Note 2016 seems to be an enigma.
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> Using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Windows 10.
>
> I click File > Print.
> The Print dialog opens with my default Brother HL-2040 series printer
> selected.
> I select "Print to file".
> I click "OK".
> I get a "Save Print Output As" window where I can select a folder where
> I want to save the file. Currently it is the Downloads folder.
> The "File name:" field is empty. I can type anything in there that I
> want to call the file.
> There is a "Save as type" drop down list under that with "Printer Files
> (*prn) already selected.
> If I click the selection I get an "All Files (*)" choice.
> Selecting that I see all the files in my Downloads folder.
>
> If I click on my printer name, there is a drop down with other print
> formats I can select in this order.
>
> Fax
> Microsoft Print to PDF
> Microsoft XPS Document Writer
> One Note
> Send to OneNote 2016
>
> If I was printing to a file I would chose Microsoft Print to PDF,
> because it will automatically select and add the .pdf file type to
> whatever I name the file in the "File name:" field.
>
> You may have to install the Adobe Reader DC application to open and read
> the PDF files if you don't have a way to open them.
>
> <https://get.adobe.com/reader/>
>
> Make sure you get the right version for your operating system and
> disable the installation of McAfee Safe Connect.

..
As I said in another answer to your post ABOVE - I am using win 7 here.
I will note this for use on my Win 10 machine.

I found an answer.....see my post from the First Post here !

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 2:57:51 AM
WaltS48:
>On 1/10/20 9:01 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

>> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>
>Not really.
>
>I replied to another post with step by step instructions on how it works
>for me using SeaMonkey on Windows 10, with the suggestion to select
>"Microsoft Print to PDF" which should automatically add the .pdf file
>type. All he has to do is type a file name into the "File name:" field.

i'm suspecting now that clicking on the "Print" button on Fidelity skips
SM altogether and goes directly to the OS.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
1/11/2020 3:05:49 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>
> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>
> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>
> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
> Sorry for that !
>
> DoctorBill
..
This is Posted AFTER I fingered out how to do what I want on THIS
Windows 7 machine.
Most of the answers did not apply to what I am experiencing HERE.

So - I looked up "Virtual Printers" on Google and found "Dopdf" - a FREE
program to write
pdf files whan you check "Print to File".   I downloaded it and
installed it.

When I went to my Wife's Health Insurance Web Site and went to the
Claims Page,
I invoked the list of claims and clicked "Print This" and got the
Windows 7 Print Menu.
I chose as the printer "doPDF" which was now on the list of printers.
I clicked "Save to File" and got that same LINE - 'File Name'...... to
fill in.
I entered C:/mywifesclaimfile and hit enter.

The List I wanted was saved as a pdf to the C:/  (root)  directory.

IT WORKED !      Probably work the same way on Windows 10.....

So.....I fingered all this out myself.    Just had to educate myself (I
have a PhD in Biochemistry) so I know how to do research - that's what a
PhD Degree means.....

Thanks for the journey together guys !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 3:06:22 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows
>> (7).....(?)
>>
>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
> .
> This is Posted AFTER I fingered out how to do what I want on THIS
> Windows 7 machine.
> Most of the answers did not apply to what I am experiencing HERE.
>
> So - I looked up "Virtual Printers" on Google and found "Dopdf" - a FREE
> program to write
> pdf files whan you check "Print to File".   I downloaded it and
> installed it.
>
> When I went to my Wife's Health Insurance Web Site and went to the
> Claims Page,
> I invoked the list of claims and clicked "Print This" and got the
> Windows 7 Print Menu.
> I chose as the printer "doPDF" which was now on the list of printers.
> I clicked "Save to File" and got that same LINE - 'File Name'...... to
> fill in.
> I entered C:/mywifesclaimfile and hit enter.
>
> The List I wanted was saved as a pdf to the C:/  (root)  directory.
>
> IT WORKED !      Probably work the same way on Windows 10.....
>
> So.....I fingered all this out myself.    Just had to educate myself (I
> have a PhD in Biochemistry) so I know how to do research - that's what a
> PhD Degree means.....
>
> Thanks for the journey together guys !
>
> DoctorBill

For What It's Worth -

YOWSA ! - I loaded "DoPDF" onto my Windows 10 machine and now it appears
in the PRINT
Dialog Box as a printer.   (it is a stand alone program also).
Went to my Banking Site and got to all my Checking Account Activity for
a whole year.
It had a "Print This" box above the list - so I checked it.
Got the Print Dialog Box, chose DoPDF" and checked the "Print to File" box.
Went thru new (to me) Windows 10 rig-a-marole and had to give it a name
and destination
(is very different than Windows 7) ......
Long story short - I now have A WHOLE YEAR of my checking Account on a
pdf file.
You can pick the File quality too !
Nice.

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 3:33:58 AM
On 2020-01-11, DoctorBill wrote:

> Nuno Silva wrote:
[...]
>> I think what you (WaltS48) are describing is a different feature, the
>> "print to file" option in the GTK print dialog, which (at least here) is
>> shown as if it were a printer itself (in the list of printers or
>> printing methods which are available).
>>
>> What DoctorBill is describing sounds like the "Print to file" checkbox
>> in the Windows print dialog. This option, instead of sending the data to
>> the printer, will store it in a file.
>>
>> In my experience, the "File:" prompt will accept a full path, that is,
>> starting from a "drive letter" and with directories, say,
>> A:\dir\example.dat.
>>
>> Screenshots:
>> - Windows:
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdialogboxxp.png
>> - GTK 3: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/printdialog.png
>>
> OK....Yes - I am talking about the first screenshot that you labeled
> "windows" - THAT is what I see.
> The second one "GTK"  - ??????

(The GTK dialog is the one that appears in GNU/Linux systems.)

--
Nuno Silva
0
On 10/01/20 21:43, DoctorBill wrote:
> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)

No. It's a Windows thing.

> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....

If you select that checkbox, Windows will prompt you for a filename when
printing. Maybe in new versions it uses a better GUI but it used to be
just a text entry dialog box. However it will just send the same data
stream that it would have sent to the printer port to the file, whereas
you probably want a PDF or PostScript file.

For that you have to install a specific virtual printer, and from the
thread I see you found out how to do that for PDF in Windows 7 (and 8.0,
and earlier), using DoPDF -- alternatives exist; Windows 10 has a
built-in 'Microsoft Print to PDF' virtual printer. For PostScript you
can use a generic PostScript printer to 'FILE:'.

The XPS printer that you see listed is a similar thing for the XPS
format, a Microsoft competitor to PDF.

/df

--
London
UK
On 2020-01-11, DoctorBill wrote:

[...]
> .
> I tried to put a PATH into the Filename - like
> C:/blahblah
> and THAT went to the C - root directory - but was unreadable by Open
> office,
> NotePad and Acrobat.   It is a strange kind of file..... (?)
> I then tried giving it an extension .prn.   Same result even with a
> .prn ext.

(What is saved by the "print to file" option is what would be sent to
the printer - the file will be in the format/language used by the
printer driver, which can be closed/proprietary/undocumented.)

--
Nuno Silva
0
On 1/10/20 10:33 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> [...]

>=20
> YOWSA ! - I loaded "DoPDF" onto my Windows 10 machine and now it appear=
s=20
> in the PRINT
> Dialog Box as a printer.=C2=A0=C2=A0 (it is a stand alone program also)=
=2E
> Went to my Banking Site and got to all my Checking Account Activity for=
=20
> a whole year.
> It had a "Print This" box above the list - so I checked it.
> Got the Print Dialog Box, chose DoPDF" and checked the "Print to File" =
box.
> Went thru new (to me) Windows 10 rig-a-marole and had to give it a name=
=20
> and destination
> (is very different than Windows 7) ......
> Long story short - I now have A WHOLE YEAR of my checking Account on a =

Great news!

Just curious. What do you use to open and read those files?

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/11/2020 1:12:52 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/10/20 10:33 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:

>>> .
>>> This is Posted AFTER I fingered out how to do what I want on THIS
>>> Windows 7 machine.
>>> Most of the answers did not apply to what I am experiencing HERE.
>>>
>>> So - I looked up "Virtual Printers" on Google and found "Dopdf" - a
>>> FREE program to write
>>> pdf files whan you check "Print to File".   I downloaded it and
>>> installed it.
>>>
>>> When I went to my Wife's Health Insurance Web Site and went to the
>>> Claims Page,
>>> I invoked the list of claims and clicked "Print This" and got the
>>> Windows 7 Print Menu.
>>> I chose as the printer "doPDF" which was now on the list of printers.
>>> I clicked "Save to File" and got that same LINE - 'File Name'......
>>> to fill in.
>>> I entered C:/mywifesclaimfile and hit enter.
>>>
>>> The List I wanted was saved as a pdf to the C:/  (root)  directory.
>>>
>>> IT WORKED !      Probably work the same way on Windows 10.....
>>>
>>> So.....I fingered all this out myself.    Just had to educate myself
>>> (I have a PhD in Biochemistry) so I know how to do research - that's
>>> what a PhD Degree means.....
>>>
>>> Thanks for the journey together guys !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> For What It's Worth -
>>
>> YOWSA ! - I loaded "DoPDF" onto my Windows 10 machine and now it
>> appears in the PRINT
>> Dialog Box as a printer.   (it is a stand alone program also).
>> Went to my Banking Site and got to all my Checking Account Activity
>> for a whole year.
>> It had a "Print This" box above the list - so I checked it.
>> Got the Print Dialog Box, chose DoPDF" and checked the "Print to File"
>> box.
>> Went thru new (to me) Windows 10 rig-a-marole and had to give it a
>> name and destination
>> (is very different than Windows 7) ......
>> Long story short - I now have A WHOLE YEAR of my checking Account on a
>> pdf file.
>> You can pick the File quality too !
>> Nice.
>>
>> DoctorBill
>>

> Great news!
>
> Just curious. What do you use to open and read those files?

..
They are pdf - so I use Adobe Acrobat.
I supposedly will also convert to other file formats. Haven't tried THAT
yet.
It is also a standalone program.....?

Just what I wanted.  Something to "get" a list in the nice List Format, but
be able to see it BEFORE unleashing it onto the printer.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/11/2020 2:37:38 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows
>> (7).....(?)

Some applications provide their own options for exporting to PDF.  From
a quick search it looks like Google's Chrome browser has such an option
integrated with it's "Print" menu (I don't have it installed to check),
so that's probably what claims that it's a browser-specific feature are
based on.

The "print to file" option you describe is a Windows feature.  As others
have mentioned, that basically just saves the data which would have been
sent to the printer, which is usually in a printer-specific proprietary
format and not really much use for anything.

>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>> "Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>> has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>> One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>
>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>> Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>>
>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>> Sorry for that !
>>
>> DoctorBill
> .
> This is Posted AFTER I fingered out how to do what I want on THIS
> Windows 7 machine.
> Most of the answers did not apply to what I am experiencing HERE.

It looks like there was initially a lot of confusion with differences
between Linux and Windows!  The "Print" dialog of the GTK library used
by some popular Linux applications provides a "Print to File" option to
output to a PDF or Postscript file.  I think Windows 10 has a PDF
virtual printer built in, which is seen by any application which can
print as being just another printer.  Windows 7 doesn't have one built
in (I'm not sure about Windows 8/8.1).

> So - I looked up "Virtual Printers" on Google and found "Dopdf" - a FREE
> program to write
> pdf files whan you check "Print to File".   I downloaded it and
> installed it.

Yep, that's the kind of thing you need for printing to PDF on Windows.
Another I've used is CutePDF.

I've also used PDFCreator in the past, but that one's probably best
avoided now - last time I looked it was making the bundled adware and
browser toolbars more and more difficult to avoid.

> When I went to my Wife's Health Insurance Web Site and went to the
> Claims Page,
> I invoked the list of claims and clicked "Print This" and got the
> Windows 7 Print Menu.
> I chose as the printer "doPDF" which was now on the list of printers.
> I clicked "Save to File" and got that same LINE - 'File Name'...... to
> fill in.

With these virtual printers, it's not usually necessary to select "Save
to File" since that's what it does anyway.  The virtual printer driver
itself will prompt for the filename, usually with the normal file save
dialog which makes it easier to browse directories, and often provides
other options to control the output format.

> I entered C:/mywifesclaimfile and hit enter.
>
> The List I wanted was saved as a pdf to the C:/  (root)  directory.
>
> IT WORKED !      Probably work the same way on Windows 10.....

It would be similar, but I think Windows 10 already includes a PDF
virtual printer so may not be necessary to install one first.  You
probably still can though, if another one provides features you want
which aren't included in the built-in one.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
1/11/2020 3:03:51 PM
DoctorBill wrote on 11-01-20 03:29:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>>> DoctorBill:

>>> The only thing you need to do is to click on File > Print. :) that
>>> opens
>>> the print dialog, creates the pref and allows you to choose filename
>>> and
>>> path. Look at the replies of Walt.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming here that in Win the print dialog is similar to Linux.
>>>
>>> Hartmut
>>>
>> .
>> NO...it does not do that.  That is why I asked about it.
>> I described what it does when I posted this.
>> Nun Salva posted what I see.
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlgbox/images/printdialogboxxp.png
>>

> My Bad ! Sorry !      It doesn't even look that good !
> I did a screensave and put together what I see.
> https://i.postimg.cc/W4k58sw3/Save-to-File-Problem.jpg
> Hope this clears it up somewhat....

This is a Windows issue, not an SM issue.
"Print to file" option/method is very old and often used in the years
1980's
First you select the printer AND AFTER you click on "print to file".
This is just to say: I want to convert my data to commands to sent to my
"In your example to "Brother HL-2230 series""
BUT instead of sending those converted data to your printer, you just
write those converted data RAW to a binary file.
the only thing you can do with this file is something like in a dos-box:
copy (Name of file.prn) /b lpt1
with your "Brother HL-2230 series" printer connected to the PRT port
(lpt1) of your computer.
If you connect another printer, per example "hp psc 1310 series (Copy
1)" you will just print à page with full of garbage :-)

More infos; here:
<https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-print-to-file.911205/>

0
Ray_Net
1/11/2020 4:40:28 PM
On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 13:43:17 -0800, DoctorBill <NoNoNo@gmail.com> in
mozilla.support.seamonkey wrote:

>I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
>this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)
>
>I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
>"Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
>has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
>One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
>Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>
>Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
>Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.
>
>Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>
>Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
>Sorry for that !
>
>DoctorBill

Nothing Off-topic about your question.

i just tried it with win 64 on Seamonkey 2.49.3

worked like a charm!  created a pdf file of images from my tab
(about:memory) and wrote it where i said to put it.

Originally wanted to put it in "recent documents" which most likely would
have been under my win user name under subdirectory
"USERS/name/documents"

default file name was the tab title + .pdf and the file opened with my pdf
reader associated with portable document files......

Hope you got yours straight.

0
jrp
1/11/2020 8:04:01 PM
Op 11-1-2020 om 16:03 schreef mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> So - I looked up "Virtual Printers" on Google and found "Dopdf" - a
>> FREE program to write
>> pdf files whan you check "Print to File".   I downloaded it and
>> installed it.
>
> Yep, that's the kind of thing you need for printing to PDF on Windows.
> Another I've used is CutePDF.
>
> I've also used PDFCreator in the past, but that one's probably best
> avoided now - last time I looked it was making the bundled adware and
> browser toolbars more and more difficult to avoid.

Just read the question and the answers.

I use pdf995.
Exist of two little software programs and is free.
No need for check Print to file, it just gives an extra choice in you
printer choice.
So between the Canon and the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, etc.

http://www.pdf995.com/

I think it works the same as DoPDF.

Rink

0
Rink
1/11/2020 8:22:37 PM
On 1/10/2020 7:33 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that=

>>> this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows=20
>>> (7).....(?)
>>>
>>> I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her=

>>> "Claims Activity" link.=C2=A0=C2=A0 That goes to a HUGE List (she had=
 cancer) which
>>> has a "Print" button.=C2=A0 Clicking THAT sends me to the print Optio=
ns.
>>> One "Option" is=C2=A0 - PRINT TO FILE.
>>> Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
>>> NO choices are given to place - just File Name....
>>>
>>> Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of=

>>> Gobble-De-Gook !=C2=A0 One opinion after another !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Mostly=
 rubbish.

>>> Searching for the file name gets me no-where !
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction ?=C2=A0 I know it is OFF =
TOPIC.
>>> Sorry for that !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>> .
>> This is Posted AFTER I fingered out how to do what I want on THIS=20
>> Windows 7 machine.
>> Most of the answers did not apply to what I am experiencing HERE.
>>
>> So - I looked up "Virtual Printers" on Google and found "Dopdf" - a FR=
EE=20
>> program to write
>> pdf files whan you check "Print to File".=C2=A0=C2=A0 I downloaded it =
and=20
>> installed it.
>>
>> When I went to my Wife's Health Insurance Web Site and went to the=20
>> Claims Page,
>> I invoked the list of claims and clicked "Print This" and got the=20
>> Windows 7 Print Menu.
>> I chose as the printer "doPDF" which was now on the list of printers.
>> I clicked "Save to File" and got that same LINE - 'File Name'...... to=
=20
>> fill in.
>> I entered C:/mywifesclaimfile and hit enter.
>>
>> The List I wanted was saved as a pdf to the C:/=C2=A0 (root)=C2=A0 dir=
ectory.

>> IT WORKED !=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Probably work the same way o=
n Windows 10.....

>> So.....I fingered all this out myself.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Just had to e=
ducate myself (I=20
>> have a PhD in Biochemistry) so I know how to do research - that's what=
 a=20
>> PhD Degree means.....
>>
>> Thanks for the journey together guys !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>=20
> For What It's Worth -
>=20
> YOWSA ! - I loaded "DoPDF" onto my Windows 10 machine and now it appear=
s=20
> in the PRINT
> Dialog Box as a printer.   (it is a stand alone program also).
> Went to my Banking Site and got to all my Checking Account Activity for=
=20
> a whole year.
> It had a "Print This" box above the list - so I checked it.
> Got the Print Dialog Box, chose DoPDF" and checked the "Print to File" =
box.
> Went thru new (to me) Windows 10 rig-a-marole and had to give it a name=
=20
> and destination
> (is very different than Windows 7) ......
> Long story short - I now have A WHOLE YEAR of my checking Account on a =

> pdf file.
> You can pick the File quality too !
> Nice.
>=20
> DoctorBill
>=20

Windows 7
SeaMonkey 2.49.5
doPDF 10.6.121

I have been using doPDF for five years now, since version 7.3.398.  I do
NOT select "Print to file" on the SeaMonkey print dialogue.  Instead, I
use doPDF's own navigation dialogue to select a location and a name for
the output PDF file.

A few caveats when using doPDF in Windows:

*  Whatever name doPDF gives the resulting file, I find I must change it
slightly.  Otherwise, doPDF reverts to placing the result in
<C:\Users\[myid}\Documents\Bookmarks.pdf>, where [myid] is my Windows
user ID.

*  When updating doPDF to a version with a different primary version
number -- for example, from 9.6.245 to 10.0.103 -- it is necessary to
remove the old version before installing the new version.  It is also
desirable to clean out preference variables (about:config) from Mozilla
applications where those variables contain the old primary version number=
=2E

*  Installing doPDF causes unnecessary plugins to be installed in
Microsoft Office applications.  Not only can this not be prevented, but
also attempts to remove those plugins afterwards will fail.  The plugins
can be removed from the Office applications, but they cannot be removed
from your PC.  They are unnecessary because printing from an Office
application will bring up a print dialogue that includes doPDF.

--=20
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.

0
David