High Memory Usage 2.53.3 64 bit

I noticed today while running FaceBook and trying to turn off=C2=A0 Messe=
nger
Active Status the screen went slightly blurry, the "X" in upper right cor=
ner
turned RED and the pointer became a spinning=C2=A0 circle. Everything fro=
ze.=C2=A0 I was
able to open Task Manager via the "Control-Alt-Delete" and checked
SeanMonkey.=C2=A0 Memory was just running up the scale.=C2=A0 Was a littl=
e over1GB when
opened Task Manager and was increase like crazy.=C2=A0 In about 30 second=
s it was
almost to 3GB.=C2=A0 I then 'stopped' SeaMonkey.

I tried this again - same results.=C2=A0 Then I disabled Java Script.=C2=A0=
 Tried again
- same results.

Anyone else experience this with FaceBook?=C2=A0 Sending SM into a loop?=C2=
=A0 SeaMonkey
or FaceBook or (heaven forbid) my problem?

--=20
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed

0
UTF
9/10/2020 12:06:26 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13597 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Yes. Same with YouTube, LinkedIn, Gmail, Twitter, etc. :(

On 9/9/2020 5:06 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:
> I noticed today while running FaceBook and trying to turn off  Messenger
> Active Status the screen went slightly blurry, the "X" in upper right corner
> turned RED and the pointer became a spinning  circle. Everything froze.  I was
> able to open Task Manager via the "Control-Alt-Delete" and checked
> SeanMonkey.  Memory was just running up the scale.  Was a little over1GB when
> opened Task Manager and was increase like crazy.  In about 30 seconds it was
> almost to 3GB.  I then 'stopped' SeaMonkey.
>
> I tried this again - same results.  Then I disabled Java Script.  Tried again
> - same results.
>
> Anyone else experience this with FaceBook?  Sending SM into a loop?  SeaMonkey
> or FaceBook or (heaven forbid) my problem?--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs
(e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font
(Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
9/10/2020 3:00:47 AM
On 9/9/20 8:06 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:
> I noticed today while running FaceBook and trying to turn off  Messenger
> Active Status the screen went slightly blurry, the "X" in upper right corner
> turned RED and the pointer became a spinning  circle. Everything froze.  I was
> able to open Task Manager via the "Control-Alt-Delete" and checked
> SeanMonkey.  Memory was just running up the scale.  Was a little over1GB when
> opened Task Manager and was increase like crazy.  In about 30 seconds it was
> almost to 3GB.  I then 'stopped' SeaMonkey.
>
> I tried this again - same results.  Then I disabled Java Script.  Tried again
> - same results.
>
> Anyone else experience this with FaceBook?  Sending SM into a loop?  SeaMonkey
> or FaceBook or (heaven forbid) my problem?

Sometimes, it can be the web site causing this. I found the Yahoo home
page causing SeaMonkey memory usage to go beyond 1Gb.

--
Netscape -> Mozilla Suite -> SeaMonkey. User. Since 1997.
0

I typically keep 8-10 tabs open, which a t the end of a day
typically means SM2.49.5 uses about 1-1.2 GB RAM.
With SM2.53.3 this balloons to 2.5-3GB - much higher.
There are also perceivable delays to switch between tabs.

I am not complaining - i have been using the Mozilla suite since before
its 1.0
release and am very thankful to the developers who have kept SeaMonkey
alive.
Perhaps if I (and other users) spent more time with betas, things would be
better but the trend is worrying.

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote on 2020-09-10 02:06:
> I noticed today while running FaceBook and trying to turn off  Messenger
> Active Status the screen went slightly blurry, the "X" in upper right corner
> turned RED and the pointer became a spinning  circle. Everything froze.  I was
> able to open Task Manager via the "Control-Alt-Delete" and checked
> SeanMonkey.  Memory was just running up the scale.  Was a little over1GB when
> opened Task Manager and was increase like crazy.  In about 30 seconds it was
> almost to 3GB.  I then 'stopped' SeaMonkey.
>
> I tried this again - same results.  Then I disabled Java Script.  Tried again
> - same results.
>
> Anyone else experience this with FaceBook?  Sending SM into a loop?  SeaMonkey
> or FaceBook or (heaven forbid) my problem?

0
bdelmee
9/14/2020 9:33:11 AM
I have exactly the same experience (just on 64-bit Windows).
Slowdowns start to happen around Seamonkey reaching 2GB of RAM usage and
they extend for me not only to tab switching but all, site scrolling,
mail sending etc.
"about:memory" + GC seems to help a little bit but honestly the only
option that really helps me is brutal kill of process and my beloved
"restore previous session" functionality - that does the trick for few
next hours.

bdelmee wrote:
> Unfortunately this is my experience, too (on 64-bit linux)
>
> I typically keep 8-10 tabs open, which a t the end of a day
> typically means SM2.49.5 uses about 1-1.2 GB RAM.
> With SM2.53.3 this balloons to 2.5-3GB - much higher.
> There are also perceivable delays to switch between tabs.
>
> I am not complaining - i have been using the Mozilla suite since before
> its 1.0
> release and am very thankful to the developers who have kept SeaMonkey
> alive.
> Perhaps if I (and other users) spent more time with betas, things would be
> better but the trend is worrying.
>

> 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote on 2020-09-10 02:06:
>> I noticed today while running FaceBook and trying to turn off  Messenger
>> Active Status the screen went slightly blurry, the "X" in upper right
>> corner
>> turned RED and the pointer became a spinning  circle. Everything
>> froze.  I was
>> able to open Task Manager via the "Control-Alt-Delete" and checked
>> SeanMonkey.  Memory was just running up the scale.  Was a little
>> over1GB when
>> opened Task Manager and was increase like crazy.  In about 30 seconds
>> it was
>> almost to 3GB.  I then 'stopped' SeaMonkey.
>>
>> I tried this again - same results.  Then I disabled Java Script.
>> Tried again
>> - same results.
>>
>> Anyone else experience this with FaceBook?  Sending SM into a loop?
>> SeaMonkey
>> or FaceBook or (heaven forbid) my problem?

0
Szymon
9/16/2020 8:29:20 AM
You can't do a normal quit? Sometimes I can do that if it lets me and
still save my sessions.

On 9/16/2020 1:29 AM, Szymon Stryczek wrote:
> I have exactly the same experience (just on 64-bit Windows).
> Slowdowns start to happen around Seamonkey reaching 2GB of RAM usage and
> they extend for me not only to tab switching but all, site scrolling,
> mail sending etc.
> "about:memory" + GC seems to help a little bit but honestly the only
> option that really helps me is brutal kill of process and my beloved
> "restore previous session" functionality - that does the trick for few
> next hours.
>

> bdelmee wrote:
>> Unfortunately this is my experience, too (on 64-bit linux)
>>
>> I typically keep 8-10 tabs open, which a t the end of a day
>> typically means SM2.49.5 uses about 1-1.2 GB RAM.
>> With SM2.53.3 this balloons to 2.5-3GB - much higher.
>> There are also perceivable delays to switch between tabs.
>>
>> I am not complaining - i have been using the Mozilla suite since
>> before its 1.0
>> release and am very thankful to the developers who have kept SeaMonkey
>> alive.
>> Perhaps if I (and other users) spent more time with betas, things
>> would be
>> better but the trend is worrying.
>>

>> 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote on 2020-09-10 02:06:
>>> I noticed today while running FaceBook and trying to turn off  Messenger
>>> Active Status the screen went slightly blurry, the "X" in upper right
>>> corner
>>> turned RED and the pointer became a spinning  circle. Everything
>>> froze.  I was
>>> able to open Task Manager via the "Control-Alt-Delete" and checked
>>> SeanMonkey.  Memory was just running up the scale.  Was a little
>>> over1GB when
>>> opened Task Manager and was increase like crazy.  In about 30 seconds
>>> it was
>>> almost to 3GB.  I then 'stopped' SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> I tried this again - same results.  Then I disabled Java Script.
>>> Tried again
>>> - same results.
>>>
>>> Anyone else experience this with FaceBook?  Sending SM into a loop?
>>> SeaMonkey
>>> or FaceBook or (heaven forbid) my problem?
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs
(e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font
(Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
9/16/2020 11:43:14 PM
I use the "restart Application Button" add-on here for this.

Dave

> Ant wrote:
> You can't do a normal quit? Sometimes I can do that if it lets me and
> still save my sessions.
>
> On 9/16/2020 1:29 AM, Szymon Stryczek wrote:
>> I have exactly the same experience (just on 64-bit Windows).
>> Slowdowns start to happen around Seamonkey reaching 2GB of RAM usage
>> and they extend for me not only to tab switching but all, site
>> scrolling, mail sending etc.
>> "about:memory" + GC seems to help a little bit but honestly the only
>> option that really helps me is brutal kill of process and my beloved
>> "restore previous session" functionality - that does the trick for few
>> next hours.
>>

>> bdelmee wrote:
>>> Unfortunately this is my experience, too (on 64-bit linux)
>>>
>>> I typically keep 8-10 tabs open, which a t the end of a day
>>> typically means SM2.49.5 uses about 1-1.2 GB RAM.
>>> With SM2.53.3 this balloons to 2.5-3GB - much higher.
>>> There are also perceivable delays to switch between tabs.
>>>
>>> I am not complaining - i have been using the Mozilla suite since
>>> before its 1.0
>>> release and am very thankful to the developers who have kept
>>> SeaMonkey alive.
>>> Perhaps if I (and other users) spent more time with betas, things
>>> would be
>>> better but the trend is worrying.

0
David
9/17/2020 1:02:32 AM
What is the difference between than regular exit (I use its default
ctrl-q hotkeys)?

On 9/16/2020 6:02 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> I use the "restart Application Button" add-on here for this.
>
> Dave
>
>> Ant wrote:
>> You can't do a normal quit? Sometimes I can do that if it lets me and
>> still save my sessions.
>>
>> On 9/16/2020 1:29 AM, Szymon Stryczek wrote:
>>> I have exactly the same experience (just on 64-bit Windows).
>>> Slowdowns start to happen around Seamonkey reaching 2GB of RAM usage
>>> and they extend for me not only to tab switching but all, site
>>> scrolling, mail sending etc.
>>> "about:memory" + GC seems to help a little bit but honestly the only
>>> option that really helps me is brutal kill of process and my beloved
>>> "restore previous session" functionality - that does the trick for few
>>> next hours.
....--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs
(e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font
(Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
9/17/2020 9:11:13 AM
The restart application button closes SeaMonkey and then launches it
again.  With the hot key you must start SeaMonkey manually.

Dave

> Ant wrote:
> What is the difference between than regular exit (I use its default
> ctrl-q hotkeys)?
>
> On 9/16/2020 6:02 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> I use the "restart Application Button" add-on here for this.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>>> Ant wrote:
>>> You can't do a normal quit? Sometimes I can do that if it lets me and
>>> still save my sessions.

> ...--
> Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
> COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
> heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs
> (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font
> (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
>    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
>   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
>  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
>     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
>      ( )

0
David
9/17/2020 11:56:54 AM
Ah. I wonder what command it is using to tell it to automatically
relaunch. Does it work when SM is stuck and automatically tell its
startup's prompt to force exit the stuckage and relaunch? I get those
once in a while with seamonkey.exe process stuck even though I quit SM
earlier.

On 9/17/2020 4:56 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> The restart application button closes SeaMonkey and then launches it
> again.  With the hot key you must start SeaMonkey manually.
>
> Dave
>
>> Ant wrote:
>> What is the difference between than regular exit (I use its default
>> ctrl-q hotkeys)?
>>
>> On 9/16/2020 6:02 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>>> I use the "restart Application Button" add-on here for this.
Ant
9/17/2020 7:32:48 PM
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to either of your questions.  The one
I am using is:

Restart Application Button 53.0
By Baris Derin

Restart Application Button lets you restart your Firefox and SeaMonkey
application by a quick toolbar button click.

This is in my list of extensions and it should be easy to find it and
try it for your problems.

Dave