Help with setting up a second computer.

      I recently changed from a dial-up to a fiber connection (thanks
Lee and gwtc for your help and guidance with this task).  I am now
trying to do some house cleaning of my two computer systems (one system
employs Windows XP/SeaMonkey and the other Windows 98SE/Mozilla).  Here
is what I am attempting to do:

1. Copy my Address Book and Bookmarks, resident on the Windows
98SE/Mozilla system, to the Windows XP/SeaMonkey system.  I have a
read/write CD capability on the 98SE system, but a read only CD
capability on my XP system.

Question: Is it possible to transfer this data via CD and (if so) what
files do I copy on the 98SE system in order to make this transfer?  Any
other information or suggestions relative to making this transfer would
be appreciated.

2. I intend to remove/replace Mozilla on my 98SE system with the latest
version of SeaMonkey.  I learned from my limited XP experience that
SeaMonkey employs a single mailbox system...not one for each account.  I
like this system and would like to merge all of my mail boxes on the
98SE computer.

Question: Is this consolidation doable?  If so, what steps do I follow
to make this happen?  You are communicating with a computer amateur, so
don't feel that minute detailed instructions

      I'm not sure I am in the right newsgroup to ask the above
questions.  If not, I'm open for suggestions about where they should be
posted.

      Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.

Frog
0
Frog
9/20/2006 5:10:39 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13642 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On approximately 9/20/2006 10:10 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Frog:
>      I recently changed from a dial-up to a fiber connection (thanks Lee
> and gwtc for your help and guidance with this task).  I am now trying to
> do some house cleaning of my two computer systems (one system employs
> Windows XP/SeaMonkey and the other Windows 98SE/Mozilla).  Here is what
> I am attempting to do:
>
> 1. Copy my Address Book and Bookmarks, resident on the Windows
> 98SE/Mozilla system, to the Windows XP/SeaMonkey system.  I have a
> read/write CD capability on the 98SE system, but a read only CD
> capability on my XP system.
>
> Question: Is it possible to transfer this data via CD and (if so) what
> files do I copy on the 98SE system in order to make this transfer?  Any
> other information or suggestions relative to making this transfer would
> be appreciated.

Yes.  bookmarks.htm[l], and you can export your address books and import
them in SeaMonkey.  You _could_ copy abook.mab, but I had problems with
that, in the Mozilla -> SeaMonkey upgrade, and going through an export
to LDIF and import from LDIF seemed to produce better results.  Some of
the fields in the LDIF files produced by Mozilla and SeaMonkey have
different names, by the way... seems to have dropped some X prefixes.

> 2. I intend to remove/replace Mozilla on my 98SE system with the latest
> version of SeaMonkey.  I learned from my limited XP experience that
> SeaMonkey employs a single mailbox system...not one for each account.  I
> like this system and would like to merge all of my mail boxes on the
> 98SE computer.

For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if you
allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate Inbox per
account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).  It can be
changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings, accessed from the
Server Settings for the POP account.

For IMAP accounts, one is forced to use the folders on the server,
unless you write your own filters to compensate, and you cannot get rid
of the IMAP account name in the folders pane.

> Question: Is this consolidation doable?  If so, what steps do I follow
> to make this happen?  You are communicating with a computer amateur, so
> don't feel that minute detailed instructions

Compact folders under Mozilla so you aren't copying big unused areas.

Find the mail folder files for each account in your profile (ignore the
..msf files).  Rename to unique names (not 5 Inbox files, but Inbox-acc1,
Inbox-acc2, etc.), and copy to the Local Folders in the SeaMonkey
profile (if you really want to consolidate the accounts).  Once all the
folders are on the new machine, start SeaMonkey there, and you'll see
them all.  Then you can use Message / Move  or  File  to select all the
messages in a folder and move them where you want them, deleting any
folders you choose to empty out.

My current preference is to use Global Inbox for its ability to share
Templates, Drafts, Trash, and Unsent Messages, but then use per account
mail filters and adjust "Copies and Folders" so that Inbox and Sent for
each account winds up in a single folders, but not the shared Inbox.
Having both Inbox and Sent in the same folder facilitates viewing
messages by threads.

http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About%20Profiles.html might
have some useful information regarding profiles where to find them, and
what you might find in them, and what can be moved around.  The above
comments serve to augment the information you'll find in this link, to
respond to your particular stated goals.

>      I'm not sure I am in the right newsgroup to ask the above
> questions.  If not, I'm open for suggestions about where they should be
> posted.
>
>      Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.
>
> Frog

Seems like an appropriate newsgroup for such questions to me.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
Frog wrote:
>       I recently changed from a dial-up to a fiber connection (thanks
> Lee and gwtc for your help and guidance with this task).  I am now
> trying to do some house cleaning of my two computer systems (one system
> employs Windows XP/SeaMonkey and the other Windows 98SE/Mozilla).  Here
> is what I am attempting to do:
>
> 1. Copy my Address Book and Bookmarks, resident on the Windows
> 98SE/Mozilla system, to the Windows XP/SeaMonkey system.  I have a
> read/write CD capability on the 98SE system, but a read only CD
> capability on my XP system.
>
> Question: Is it possible to transfer this data via CD and (if so) what
> files do I copy on the 98SE system in order to make this transfer?  Any
> other information or suggestions relative to making this transfer would
> be appreciated.
>
> 2. I intend to remove/replace Mozilla on my 98SE system with the latest
> version of SeaMonkey.  I learned from my limited XP experience that
> SeaMonkey employs a single mailbox system...not one for each account.  I
> like this system and would like to merge all of my mail boxes on the
> 98SE computer.
>
> Question: Is this consolidation doable?  If so, what steps do I follow
> to make this happen?  You are communicating with a computer amateur, so
> don't feel that minute detailed instructions
>
>       I'm not sure I am in the right newsgroup to ask the above
> questions.  If not, I'm open for suggestions about where they should be
> posted.
>
>       Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.
>
> Frog
welcome.  Glad to see you made it to these groups.

Why don't you do this: Zip your entire profile from one computer to
the other.  When you put it onto a CD, then you don't have to
pussy-foot around with marking all the files as unread only.

Your Mozilla profile is compatible with SM so there shouldn't be a
problem.

--
continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible
din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly gets very
quiet.  At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that
the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so
worried that he opens up the freezer door.  The bird meekly climbs
onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the
trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now
on." The man is astounded and amazed at the transformation that has
come over the parrot. Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the
CHICKEN DO?"
0
gwtc
9/20/2006 7:52:28 PM
_Frog_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 1:10 PM:

http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#fromMoz
http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#transferring
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Frog wrote:
>      I recently changed from a dial-up to a fiber connection (thanks Lee
> and gwtc for your help and guidance with this task).  I am now trying to
> do some house cleaning of my two computer systems (one system employs
> Windows XP/SeaMonkey and the other Windows 98SE/Mozilla).  Here is what
> I am attempting to do:
>
> 1. Copy my Address Book and Bookmarks, resident on the Windows
> 98SE/Mozilla system, to the Windows XP/SeaMonkey system.  I have a
> read/write CD capability on the 98SE system, but a read only CD
> capability on my XP system.
>
> Question: Is it possible to transfer this data via CD and (if so) what
> files do I copy on the 98SE system in order to make this transfer?  Any
> other information or suggestions relative to making this transfer would
> be appreciated.
>
> 2. I intend to remove/replace Mozilla on my 98SE system with the latest
> version of SeaMonkey.  I learned from my limited XP experience that
> SeaMonkey employs a single mailbox system...not one for each account.  I
> like this system and would like to merge all of my mail boxes on the
> 98SE computer.
>
> Question: Is this consolidation doable?  If so, what steps do I follow
> to make this happen?  You are communicating with a computer amateur, so
> don't feel that minute detailed instructions
>
>      I'm not sure I am in the right newsgroup to ask the above
> questions.  If not, I'm open for suggestions about where they should be
> posted.
>
>      Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.
>
> Frog

Thanks for all of the responses.

I had received only Glenn's response last night when I decided to
proceed with the task of moving my Address Book.  Here is what I did
(let me know if I did something wrong):
1. I made a CD copy of my 98SE/Mozilla Address Book titled address-book.LDIF
2. I then imported this file from the CD into the XP/SeaMonkey system.
It seems that everything made the transfer just fine.  The imported
data, however, does not appear in SeaMonkey the way I would like to have
it displayed.  I now have three sub Address Book listings (i.e.,
Personal Address Book (a listing of the addresses that were already
resident on the XP/SeaMonkey system), address-book (a listing of the
imported addresses from the 98SE/Mozilla system), and Collected
Addresses (no listings)).  I would like to have all of my addresses
appear under the Personal Address Book listing.  Can anybody tell me how
to combine the entries under Personal Address Book and address-book into
one Personal Address Book listing?

I will likely make another call for help when I tackle the
bookmarks.html transfer.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Frog

0
Frog
9/21/2006 2:39:39 PM
On approximately 9/21/2006 7:39 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Frog:
> Frog wrote:
>>      I recently changed from a dial-up to a fiber connection (thanks
>> Lee and gwtc for your help and guidance with this task).  I am now
>> trying to do some house cleaning of my two computer systems (one
>> system employs Windows XP/SeaMonkey and the other Windows
>> 98SE/Mozilla).  Here is what I am attempting to do:
>>
>> 1. Copy my Address Book and Bookmarks, resident on the Windows
>> 98SE/Mozilla system, to the Windows XP/SeaMonkey system.  I have a
>> read/write CD capability on the 98SE system, but a read only CD
>> capability on my XP system.
>>
>> Question: Is it possible to transfer this data via CD and (if so) what
>> files do I copy on the 98SE system in order to make this transfer?
>> Any other information or suggestions relative to making this transfer
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> 2. I intend to remove/replace Mozilla on my 98SE system with the
>> latest version of SeaMonkey.  I learned from my limited XP experience
>> that SeaMonkey employs a single mailbox system...not one for each
>> account.  I like this system and would like to merge all of my mail
>> boxes on the 98SE computer.
>>
>> Question: Is this consolidation doable?  If so, what steps do I follow
>> to make this happen?  You are communicating with a computer amateur,
>> so don't feel that minute detailed instructions
>>
>>      I'm not sure I am in the right newsgroup to ask the above
>> questions.  If not, I'm open for suggestions about where they should
>> be posted.
>>
>>      Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.
>>
>> Frog
>
> Thanks for all of the responses.
>
> I had received only Glenn's response last night when I decided to
> proceed with the task of moving my Address Book.  Here is what I did
> (let me know if I did something wrong):
> 1. I made a CD copy of my 98SE/Mozilla Address Book titled
> address-book.LDIF
> 2. I then imported this file from the CD into the XP/SeaMonkey system.
> It seems that everything made the transfer just fine.  The imported
> data, however, does not appear in SeaMonkey the way I would like to have
> it displayed.  I now have three sub Address Book listings (i.e.,
> Personal Address Book (a listing of the addresses that were already
> resident on the XP/SeaMonkey system), address-book (a listing of the
> imported addresses from the 98SE/Mozilla system), and Collected
> Addresses (no listings)).  I would like to have all of my addresses
> appear under the Personal Address Book listing.  Can anybody tell me how
> to combine the entries under Personal Address Book and address-book into
> one Personal Address Book listing?
>
> I will likely make another call for help when I tackle the
> bookmarks.html transfer.
>
> Thanks again for all of the responses.
>
> Frog

In the address book window, select all (Ctrl-a) the addresses from the
imported address book's listing (right panel), and drag them into the
Personal Address Book (left panel).  Then you can delete the imported
address book.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
Glenn wrote:
> [...]
>> Personal Address Book (a listing of the addresses that were already
>> resident on the XP/SeaMonkey system), address-book (a listing of the
>> imported addresses from the 98SE/Mozilla system), and Collected
>> Addresses (no listings)).  I would like to have all of my addresses
>> appear under the Personal Address Book listing.  Can anybody tell me
>> how to combine the entries under Personal Address Book and
>> address-book into one Personal Address Book listing?
>>
>> I will likely make another call for help when I tackle the
>> bookmarks.html transfer.
>>
>> Thanks again for all of the responses.
>>
>> Frog
>
> In the address book window, select all (Ctrl-a) the addresses from the
> imported address book's listing (right panel), and drag them into the
> Personal Address Book (left panel).  Then you can delete the imported

Thanks for the quick response.  Your instructions worked like a charm.

I am now off to the bookmarks.  I've only started with this action, but
I already feel unsure of what I'm doing.  Here is my situation:

I found bookmarks.html on my 98SE/Mozilla system, and then started the
export process.  It immediately wants to record this file as
bookmarks.html.  I gather, from what you said in your first message this
thread, that the bookmarks file should be exported as a LDIF file (as I
did when moving the Address Book---LDIF was an option available during
the export process).  LDIF is not an option during the bookmarks export
process.  How do I convert a html file to LDIF?

Frog
0
Frog
9/21/2006 6:40:51 PM
Frog wrote:
> Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/21/2006 7:39 AM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Frog:

>>> Thanks for all of the responses.
>>>
>>> I had received only Glenn's response last night when I decided to
>>> proceed with the task of moving my Address Book.  Here is what I did
>>> (let me know if I did something wrong):
>>> 1. I made a CD copy of my 98SE/Mozilla Address Book titled
>>> address-book.LDIF
>>> 2. I then imported this file from the CD into the XP/SeaMonkey
>>> system. It seems that everything made the transfer just fine.  The
>>> imported data, however, does not appear in SeaMonkey the way I would
>>> like to have it displayed.  I now have three sub Address Book
>>> listings (i.e., Personal Address Book (a listing of the addresses
>>> that were already resident on the XP/SeaMonkey system), address-book
>>> (a listing of the imported addresses from the 98SE/Mozilla system),
>>> and Collected Addresses (no listings)).  I would like to have all of
>>> my addresses appear under the Personal Address Book listing.  Can
>>> anybody tell me how to combine the entries under Personal Address
>>> Book and address-book into one Personal Address Book listing?
>>>
>>> I will likely make another call for help when I tackle the
>>> bookmarks.html transfer.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all of the responses.
>>>
>>> Frog
>>
>> In the address book window, select all (Ctrl-a) the addresses from the
>> imported address book's listing (right panel), and drag them into the
>> Personal Address Book (left panel).  Then you can delete the imported
>> address book.
>>
> Thanks for the quick response.  Your instructions worked like a charm.
>
> I am now off to the bookmarks.  I've only started with this action, but
> I already feel unsure of what I'm doing.  Here is my situation:
>
> I found bookmarks.html on my 98SE/Mozilla system, and then started the
> export process.  It immediately wants to record this file as
> bookmarks.html.  I gather, from what you said in your first message this
> thread, that the bookmarks file should be exported as a LDIF file (as I
> did when moving the Address Book---LDIF was an option available during
> the export process).  LDIF is not an option during the bookmarks export
> process.  How do I convert a html file to LDIF?
>
> Frog

No, that was the address book.  The bookmarks should indeed be
bookmarks.html.

Lee

Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
9/21/2006 6:43:03 PM
Frog wrote:

> I am now off to the bookmarks.  I've only started with this action, but
> I already feel unsure of what I'm doing.  Here is my situation:
>
> I found bookmarks.html on my 98SE/Mozilla system, and then started the
> export process.  It immediately wants to record this file as
> bookmarks.html.  I gather, from what you said in your first message this
> thread, that the bookmarks file should be exported as a LDIF file (as I
> did when moving the Address Book---LDIF was an option available during
> the export process).  LDIF is not an option during the bookmarks export
> process.  How do I convert a html file to LDIF?
>
> Frog
oh good gravey, no.  You don't export it as an ldif.  That was for the
addressbook.  Open the bookmarks manager {under Bookmarks}, then click
on File, Export, and export a copy of the bookmarks.  Or, using your
file manager, locate the file bookmarks.html which is in your SM
profile and make a copy of that. Six of one, half a dozen of the
other.  Either way works.

--
Linguistic Evolution continued . . . In the third year, publik
akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage
where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will
enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a
deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of
silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.  By the
fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by
"z" and "W" by "V". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd
from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors; be aplid
to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli
sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun
vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
0
gwtc
9/21/2006 7:13:43 PM
On approximately 9/21/2006 11:40 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Frog:
> Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/21/2006 7:39 AM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Frog:

>>> Thanks for all of the responses.
>>>
>>> I had received only Glenn's response last night when I decided to
>>> proceed with the task of moving my Address Book.  Here is what I did
>>> (let me know if I did something wrong):
>>> 1. I made a CD copy of my 98SE/Mozilla Address Book titled
>>> address-book.LDIF
>>> 2. I then imported this file from the CD into the XP/SeaMonkey
>>> system. It seems that everything made the transfer just fine.  The
>>> imported data, however, does not appear in SeaMonkey the way I would
>>> like to have it displayed.  I now have three sub Address Book
>>> listings (i.e., Personal Address Book (a listing of the addresses
>>> that were already resident on the XP/SeaMonkey system), address-book
>>> (a listing of the imported addresses from the 98SE/Mozilla system),
>>> and Collected Addresses (no listings)).  I would like to have all of
>>> my addresses appear under the Personal Address Book listing.  Can
>>> anybody tell me how to combine the entries under Personal Address
>>> Book and address-book into one Personal Address Book listing?
>>>
>>> I will likely make another call for help when I tackle the
>>> bookmarks.html transfer.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all of the responses.
>>>
>>> Frog
>>
>> In the address book window, select all (Ctrl-a) the addresses from the
>> imported address book's listing (right panel), and drag them into the
>> Personal Address Book (left panel).  Then you can delete the imported
>> address book.
>>
> Thanks for the quick response.  Your instructions worked like a charm.
>
> I am now off to the bookmarks.  I've only started with this action, but
> I already feel unsure of what I'm doing.  Here is my situation:
>
> I found bookmarks.html on my 98SE/Mozilla system, and then started the
> export process.  It immediately wants to record this file as
> bookmarks.html.  I gather, from what you said in your first message this
> thread, that the bookmarks file should be exported as a LDIF file (as I
> did when moving the Address Book---LDIF was an option available during
> the export process).  LDIF is not an option during the bookmarks export
> process.  How do I convert a html file to LDIF?
>
> Frog

Sorry, no.  The Bookmarks.html file can simply be copied, AFAIK.  The
Address book should be exported as LDIF (which you did, apparently).

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
Frog wrote:
>      I recently changed from a dial-up to a fiber connection (thanks Lee
> and gwtc for your help and guidance with this task).  I am now trying to
> do some house cleaning of my two computer systems (one system employs
> Windows XP/SeaMonkey and the other Windows 98SE/Mozilla).  Here is what
> I am attempting to do:
>
> 1. Copy my Address Book and Bookmarks, resident on the Windows
> 98SE/Mozilla system, to the Windows XP/SeaMonkey system.  I have a
> read/write CD capability on the 98SE system, but a read only CD
> capability on my XP system.
>
> Question: Is it possible to transfer this data via CD and (if so) what
> files do I copy on the 98SE system in order to make this transfer?  Any
> other information or suggestions relative to making this transfer would
> be appreciated.
>
> 2. I intend to remove/replace Mozilla on my 98SE system with the latest
> version of SeaMonkey.  I learned from my limited XP experience that
> SeaMonkey employs a single mailbox system...not one for each account.  I
> like this system and would like to merge all of my mail boxes on the
> 98SE computer.
>
> Question: Is this consolidation doable?  If so, what steps do I follow
> to make this happen?  You are communicating with a computer amateur, so
> don't feel that minute detailed instructions
>
>      I'm not sure I am in the right newsgroup to ask the above
> questions.  If not, I'm open for suggestions about where they should be
> posted.
>
>      Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.
>
> Frog

With your help and guidance, the Address Book and Bookmarks have now
been duplicated on both computers.  Next, I will install SeaMonkey on my
98SE system---wish me luck.  I really do appreciate your willingness to
come to my aid when I way having problems.

Frog
0
Frog
9/21/2006 10:00:38 PM
Frog wrote:
> Frog wrote:
>> Frog
>
> With your help and guidance,
> Frog
who are you replying to? Yourself? :-)

--
[...]
9/21/2006 10:18:40 PM
gwtc wrote:
> Frog wrote:
>> Frog wrote:
>>> Frog
>>
>> With your help and guidance, Frog
> who are you replying to? Yourself? :-)

:)

Actually. I think this is a good way to sum up the thread on its
successful conclusion!

Frog, good luck with SeaMonkey, and should you encounter any problems
with the install on Win 98, you know where to find us!

Lee

Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
9/21/2006 10:22:09 PM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Frog wrote:
>>> With your help and guidance, Frog
>> who are you replying to? Yourself? :-)
>>

> :)
>
> Actually. I think this is a good way to sum up the thread on its
> successful conclusion!
>
> Frog, good luck with SeaMonkey, and should you encounter any problems
> with the install on Win 98, you know where to find us!
>
> Lee

yuppers, I agree, and there are a couple of us who are still using
win98, like me.

--
[...]
9/21/2006 10:52:33 PM
On 06/09/20 14:17, Glenn wrote:
> [Edited]...
>
> For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if you
> allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate Inbox per
> account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).  It can be
> changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings, accessed from the
> Server Settings for the POP account.
> [Edited] ...

Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird, using
the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's performance.
  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in Local Folders
is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is this an oversight
or a deliberate choice in design?
ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will have
to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/23/2006 12:24:58 PM
Kenn Yuill wrote:
> On 06/09/20 14:17, Glenn wrote:
>> [Edited]...
>>
>> For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if you
>> allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate Inbox per
>> account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).  It can be
>> changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings, accessed from the
>> Server Settings for the POP account.
>> [Edited] ...
>
> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird, using
> the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's performance.
>   However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in Local Folders
> is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is this an oversight
> or a deliberate choice in design?
> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will have
> to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?

I may be wrong here, but the Unsent Messages folder IS in Local
Folders in SM AND in TB.  In TB its called Unsent.  So, basically, it
was by design, and I see nothing wrong with it, imo

--
An recent Italian immigrant to New York wanted a job, but the foreman
won't hire him until he passes a little math test.  "Here's your first
question," the foreman said. "Without using numbers, represent the
number 9."  "Without numbers?" the Italian says, "Dat is easy." And he
proceeds to draw three trees.  "What's this?" the boss asks.  "Ave you
got no brain? Tree and tree and tree make nine," says the Italian.
"Fair enough," says the boss. "Here's your second question. Use the
same rules, but this time the number is 99."  The Italian stares into
space for a while, then picks up the picture that he has just drawn
and makes a smudge on each tree. "Ere you go."  The boss scratches his
head and says, "How on earth do you get that to represent 99?"  "Each
of da trees is dirty now. So, it's dirty tree, and dirty tree, and
dirty tree. Dat is 99."  "All right, last question. Same rules again,
but represent the number 100."  The Italian man stares into space some
more, then he picks up the picture again and makes a little mark at
the base of each tree and says, "Ere you go. One hundred."  The boss
looks at the attempt. "You must be nuts if you think that represents a
hundred!" . . . You're going to love this one!!!  But unfortunately,
its to be continued.  You're going to have to wait till tomorrow for
the punch line!
0
gwtc
9/23/2006 5:08:40 PM
On 09/23/2006 07:24 AM, Kenn Yuill wrote:

> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird, using
> the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's performance.
>  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in Local Folders
> is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is this an oversight
> or a deliberate choice in design?

AFAIK, newsgroup accounts use the Local Folders to store things like
sent messages.

> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will have
> to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?

Tools/Mail & Newsgroup Settings /<Your-Account> /Copies & Folders.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net
0
> On 06/09/20 14:17, Glenn wrote:
>> [Edited]...
>>
>> For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if
>> you allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate
>> Inbox per account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).
>> It can be changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings,
>> accessed from the Server Settings for the POP account.
>> [Edited] ...
>
> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird, using
> the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's performance.
>  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in Local Folders
> is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is this an oversight
> or a deliberate choice in design?
> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will have
> to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?

As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent Messages
folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there still get
sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent Messages folder
it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be changed by altering

user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
Glenn wrote:
> On approximately 9/23/2006 5:24 AM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
>> On 06/09/20 14:17, Glenn wrote:
>>> [Edited]...
>>>
>>> For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if
>>> you allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate
>>> Inbox per account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).
>>> It can be changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings,
>>> accessed from the Server Settings for the POP account.
>>> [Edited] ...
>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird, using
>> the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's performance.
>>  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in Local Folders
>> is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is this an oversight
>> or a deliberate choice in design?
>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
>> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
>> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will have
>> to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?
>>

> As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent Messages
> folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there still get
> sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent Messages folder
> it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be changed by altering
>
> user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");

on one hand thats a great tip.  However, if you have several mail
accounts, its useless if you want a unsent messages folder in each
account.  Otherwise, Local Folders will suffice

--
[...]
9/23/2006 9:29:56 PM
On approximately 9/23/2006 2:29 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of gwtc:
> Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/23/2006 5:24 AM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>>> performance.  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages
>>> in Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have
>>> it switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can
>>> provide the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head,
>>> I will have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any
>>> takers?
>>>

>> As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent
>> Messages folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there
>> still get sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent
>> Messages folder it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be
>> changed by altering
>>
>> user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");
>>
> on one hand thats a great tip.  However, if you have several mail
> accounts, its useless if you want a unsent messages folder in each
> account.  Otherwise, Local Folders will suffice

Right.  The primary benefit of moving it is visibility (so you can see
the count of unsent messages), not functionality.  If you usually sit in
one account, having it there helps remind you of pending unsent messages.

Only the OP can state why he wants something different than one unsent
messages file, if that is the goal.  It is not clear if/why he even has
an unsent messages folder in the local account.  Generally there isn't one.

And maybe the OP was just concerned about the From: address if messages
for multiple accounts get mixed in one folder.

So we will wait and see if the OP comes back gain.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
On 09/23/2006 01:17 PM, Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
> On 09/23/2006 07:24 AM, Kenn Yuill wrote:
>>
>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>> performance.  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in
>> Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>
> AFAIK, newsgroup accounts use the Local Folders to store things like
> sent messages.
>
>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
>> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
>> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will
>> have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?
>>

> Tools/Mail & Newsgroup Settings /<Your-Account> /Copies & Folders.

Too bad news.mozilla.org doesn't support cancels :-(
because this was a completely messed up post.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net
0
Mumia
9/23/2006 10:12:00 PM
On 06/09/23 13:08, gwtc wrote:
> Kenn Yuill wrote:
>> On 06/09/20 14:17, Glenn wrote:
>>> [Edited]...
>>>
>>> For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if
>>> you allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate
>>> Inbox per account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).
>>> It can be changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings,
>>> accessed from the Server Settings for the POP account.
>>> [Edited] ...
>>
>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>> performance.   However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages
>> in Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
>> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
>> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will
>> have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?
>>
> I may be wrong here, but the Unsent Messages folder IS in Local Folders
> in SM AND in TB.  In TB its called Unsent.  So, basically, it was by
> design, and I see nothing wrong with it, imo

First of all, this particular account was inherited from Tb, where at
some point a folder for Unsent Messages was created in it along with one
in Local Folders of course.  I prefer a setup where any unsent messages
are kept in the individual account(s) and hoped that a preference could
be created to achieve this, but there is nothing wrong with the current
design since the life of an unsent message is normally short.

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 1:48:37 AM
On 06/09/23 14:17, Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
> On 09/23/2006 07:24 AM, Kenn Yuill wrote:
>>
>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>> performance.  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in
>> Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>
> AFAIK, newsgroup accounts use the Local Folders to store things like
> sent messages.

Yes, I was hoping that a preference could be created to store unsent
messages separately in each account.

>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
>> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
>> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will
>> have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?
>>

> Tools/Mail & Newsgroup Settings /<Your-Account> /Copies & Folders.

AFAICT, there is no setting for unsent messages as above or in Edit|Mail
& Newsgroup Account Settings... for this version 1.0.4 of SeaMonkey.

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 1:59:22 AM
On 06/09/23 17:22, Glenn wrote:
> On approximately 9/23/2006 5:24 AM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
>> On 06/09/20 14:17, Glenn wrote:
>>> [Edited]...
>>>
>>> For POP accounts, SeaMonkey offers both a single mailbox system (if
>>> you allow the Global Inbox setting to be checked) or the separate
>>> Inbox per account system (if you uncheck the Global Inbox setting).
>>> It can be changed back and forth later in the Advanced settings,
>>> accessed from the Server Settings for the POP account.
>>> [Edited] ...
>>
>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>> performance.  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages in
>> Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
>> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
>> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will
>> have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?
>>

> As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent Messages
> folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there still get
> sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent Messages folder
> it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be changed by altering
>
> user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");

A single folder for Unsent Messages is not a *real* problem, just a
personal preference to keep all items from each account completely
separate.  Often, I leave unsent messages in its folder for more than
one session, i.e. in a case where I prefer to write a response but have
to verify a fact or data at a later time.

I have changed the above preference to point to my main account, but
would rather see a preference such as
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.default_sendlater_uri", " <account1> "):
etc., which is not currently recognised in SeaMonkey.

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 2:11:04 AM
On 06/09/23 17:29, gwtc wrote:
> Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/23/2006 5:24 AM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>>> performance.  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages
>>> in Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have
>>> it switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can
>>> provide the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head,
>>> I will have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any
>>> takers?
>>>

>> As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent
>> Messages folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there
>> still get sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent
>> Messages folder it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be
>> changed by altering
>>
>> user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");
>>
> on one hand thats a great tip.  However, if you have several mail
> accounts, its useless if you want a unsent messages folder in each
> account.  Otherwise, Local Folders will suffice

Such a setup may be useless for you, but not everyone -- see previous
response to "Glenn".

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 2:13:43 AM
On approximately 9/23/2006 7:11 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
> On 06/09/23 17:22, Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/23/2006 5:24 AM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>>> performance.  However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages
>>> in Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have
>>> it switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can
>>> provide the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head,
>>> I will have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any
>>> takers?
>>>

>> As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent
>> Messages folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there
>> still get sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent
>> Messages folder it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be
>> changed by altering
>>
>> user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");
>>

> A single folder for Unsent Messages is not a *real* problem, just a
> personal preference to keep all items from each account completely
> separate.  Often, I leave unsent messages in its folder for more than
> one session, i.e. in a case where I prefer to write a response but have
> to verify a fact or data at a later time.

If the message isn't yet complete, that is what Drafts is for; and there
is one Drafts per account (by default, for non-Global Inbox accounts; it
is also much more highly configurable than Unsent Messages).

If the message isn't yet complete, and you call it up from Unsent
Messages to re-edit it, be careful to double check the From: line; I
think that regresses to the default account when you re-edit in that manner.

> I have changed the above preference to point to my main account, but
> would rather see a preference such as
> user_pref("mail.identity.id1.default_sendlater_uri", " <account1> "):
> etc., which is not currently recognised in SeaMonkey.

OK, I thought maybe you were looking for one Unsent Messages per
account, but I figured I'd offer what there is, and go from there.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
On 06/09/23 22:50, Glenn wrote:
> On approximately 9/23/2006 7:11 PM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
>> On 06/09/23 17:22, Glenn wrote:
>>> On approximately 9/23/2006 5:24 AM, came the following characters
>>> from the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> As far as I have observed, SeaMonkey uses only a single Unsent
>>> Messages folder.  Is that a problem for you?   Messages saved there
>>> still get sent as From: the correct address.  Generally the Unsent
>>> Messages folder it uses is the one in Local Folders.  That can be
>>> changed by altering
>>>
>>> user_pref("mail.default_sendlater_uri", " <alter this stuff> ");
>>>

>> A single folder for Unsent Messages is not a *real* problem, just a
>> personal preference to keep all items from each account completely
>> separate.  Often, I leave unsent messages in its folder for more than
>> one session, i.e. in a case where I prefer to write a response but
>> have to verify a fact or data at a later time.
>
> If the message isn't yet complete, that is what Drafts is for; and there
> is one Drafts per account (by default, for non-Global Inbox accounts; it
> is also much more highly configurable than Unsent Messages).
>
> If the message isn't yet complete, and you call it up from Unsent
> Messages to re-edit it, be careful to double check the From: line; I
> think that regresses to the default account when you re-edit in that
> manner.
>
>> I have changed the above preference to point to my main account, but
>> would rather see a preference such as
>> user_pref("mail.identity.id1.default_sendlater_uri", " <account1> "):
>> etc., which is not currently recognised in SeaMonkey.
>
> OK, I thought maybe you were looking for one Unsent Messages per
> account, but I figured I'd offer what there is, and go from there.

I hoped that my attempt above would point to the Unsent Messages folder
for Account 1 in this case, but it does not so I may create some other
variations for my personal satisfaction.
Thanks guys for your responses & suggestions.

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 3:56:34 AM
On approximately 9/23/2006 8:56 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
> On 06/09/23 22:50, Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/23/2006 7:11 PM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> A single folder for Unsent Messages is not a *real* problem, just a
>>> personal preference to keep all items from each account completely
>>> separate.  Often, I leave unsent messages in its folder for more than
>>> one session, i.e. in a case where I prefer to write a response but
>>> have to verify a fact or data at a later time.
>>
>> If the message isn't yet complete, that is what Drafts is for; and
>> there is one Drafts per account (by default, for non-Global Inbox
>> accounts; it is also much more highly configurable than Unsent Messages).
>>
>> If the message isn't yet complete, and you call it up from Unsent
>> Messages to re-edit it, be careful to double check the From: line; I
>> think that regresses to the default account when you re-edit in that
>> manner.
>>
>>> I have changed the above preference to point to my main account, but
>>> would rather see a preference such as
>>> user_pref("mail.identity.id1.default_sendlater_uri", " <account1> "):
>>> etc., which is not currently recognised in SeaMonkey.
>>
>> OK, I thought maybe you were looking for one Unsent Messages per
>> account, but I figured I'd offer what there is, and go from there.
>>

> I hoped that my attempt above would point to the Unsent Messages folder
> for Account 1 in this case, but it does not so I may create some other
> variations for my personal satisfaction.
> Thanks guys for your responses & suggestions.

Perhaps my reply was a bit confusing.  The syntax for the value of the
mail.default_sendlater_uri user_pref does not contain spaces, '<', or
'>' characters.  Follow the style of mailbox references that was already
in place, for that or other mailbox references.  Something like

mailbox://emailaddress/Unsent%20Messages

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
On 06/09/24 00:09, Glenn wrote:
> On approximately 9/23/2006 8:56 PM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
>> On 06/09/23 22:50, Glenn wrote:
>>> On approximately 9/23/2006 7:11 PM, came the following characters
>>> from the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> If the message isn't yet complete, that is what Drafts is for; and
>>> there is one Drafts per account (by default, for non-Global Inbox
>>> accounts; it is also much more highly configurable than Unsent
>>> Messages).
>>>
>>> If the message isn't yet complete, and you call it up from Unsent
>>> Messages to re-edit it, be careful to double check the From: line; I
>>> think that regresses to the default account when you re-edit in that
>>> manner.

>>> OK, I thought maybe you were looking for one Unsent Messages per
>>> account, but I figured I'd offer what there is, and go from there.
>>>

>> I hoped that my attempt above would point to the Unsent Messages
>> folder for Account 1 in this case, but it does not so I may create
>> some other variations for my personal satisfaction.
>> Thanks guys for your responses & suggestions.
>>

> Perhaps my reply was a bit confusing.  The syntax for the value of the
> mail.default_sendlater_uri user_pref does not contain spaces, '<', or
> '>' characters.  Follow the style of mailbox references that was already
> in place, for that or other mailbox references.  Something like
>
> mailbox://emailaddress/Unsent%20Messages

Not at all.  Here is the form of the string that I entered --
    mailbox://abc1def2@pop6.sympatico.ca/Unsent%20Messages
for this preference, which works quite well as I followed the current
syntax.

I should have written above that I will try to create a preference which
would set the folder for Unsent Messages in Account 1 as the repository
for unsent messages from that account, but am doubtful of any success.

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 4:59:44 AM
On approximately 9/23/2006 9:59 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
> On 06/09/24 00:09, Glenn wrote:
>> On approximately 9/23/2006 8:56 PM, came the following characters from
>> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> I hoped that my attempt above would point to the Unsent Messages
>>> folder for Account 1 in this case, but it does not so I may create
>>> some other variations for my personal satisfaction.
>>> Thanks guys for your responses & suggestions.
>>>

>> Perhaps my reply was a bit confusing.  The syntax for the value of the
>> mail.default_sendlater_uri user_pref does not contain spaces, '<', or
>> '>' characters.  Follow the style of mailbox references that was
>> already in place, for that or other mailbox references.  Something like
>>
>> mailbox://emailaddress/Unsent%20Messages
>>

> Not at all.  Here is the form of the string that I entered --
>    mailbox://abc1def2@pop6.sympatico.ca/Unsent%20Messages
> for this preference, which works quite well as I followed the current
> syntax.
>
> I should have written above that I will try to create a preference which
> would set the folder for Unsent Messages in Account 1 as the repository
> for unsent messages from that account, but am doubtful of any success.

The Folder Storage / Folder Configuration feature of the Mnenhy
extension might possibly permit a custom Unsent Messages folder to be
created, if you set it for each folder of the each account.  There is
not, as far as I know, a way to select a set of folders to customize in
Mnenhy (although there is import and export for those settings) so it
could be a bit burdensome and error prone to attempt to keep that
up-to-date if you add and delete folders frequently.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
===========================
On 06/09/24 01:44, Glenn wrote:
> On approximately 9/23/2006 9:59 PM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:
>> On 06/09/24 00:09, Glenn wrote:
>>> On approximately 9/23/2006 8:56 PM, came the following characters
>>> from the keyboard of Kenn Yuill:

>>> Perhaps my reply was a bit confusing.  The syntax for the value of
>>> the mail.default_sendlater_uri user_pref does not contain spaces,
>>> '<', or '>' characters.  Follow the style of mailbox references that
>>> was already in place, for that or other mailbox references.
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> mailbox://emailaddress/Unsent%20Messages
>>>

>> Not at all.  Here is the form of the string that I entered --
>>    mailbox://abc1def2@pop6.sympatico.ca/Unsent%20Messages
>> for this preference, which works quite well as I followed the current
>> syntax.
>>
>> I should have written above that I will try to create a preference
>> which would set the folder for Unsent Messages in Account 1 as the
>> repository for unsent messages from that account, but am doubtful of
>> any success.
>>

> The Folder Storage / Folder Configuration feature of the Mnenhy
> extension might possibly permit a custom Unsent Messages folder to be
> created, if you set it for each folder of the each account.  There is
> not, as far as I know, a way to select a set of folders to customize in
> Mnenhy (although there is import and export for those settings) so it
> could be a bit burdensome and error prone to attempt to keep that
> up-to-date if you add and delete folders frequently.

I am no familiar with this Mnenhy extension, but will investigate it.
Thanks for the tip.

--
Chimo,
         Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
9/24/2006 11:46:06 AM
Kenn Yuill wrote:
> On 06/09/23 13:08, gwtc wrote:
>> Kenn Yuill wrote:

>>> Recently, I opted to use Seamonkey instead of Firefox|Thunderbird,
>>> using the separate Inbox per Account and am quite happy with it's
>>> performance.   However, I notice that the folder for Unsent Messages
>>> in Local Folders is used instead of the one for the open account.  Is
>>> this an oversight or a deliberate choice in design?
>>> ISTR having to edit the Preferences in Thunderbird in order to have it
>>> switch to using the Unsent Messages for the open account  My first
>>> attempt with Seamonkey was unsuccessful, so unless someone can provide
>>> the correct change in Preferences off the top of their head, I will
>>> have to fire up Tb 1.5.0.2 to figure it out.  Are there any takers?
>>>
>> I may be wrong here, but the Unsent Messages folder IS in Local Folders
>> in SM AND in TB.  In TB its called Unsent.  So, basically, it was by
>> design, and I see nothing wrong with it, imo
>>

> First of all, this particular account was inherited from Tb, where at
> some point a folder for Unsent Messages was created in it along with one
> in Local Folders of course.  I prefer a setup where any unsent messages
> are kept in the individual account(s) and hoped that a preference could
> be created to achieve this, but there is nothing wrong with the current
> design since the life of an unsent message is normally short.

in TB, there is only one Unsent Messages folder and that is in the
Local Folders account.

--
The Clever Italian Mathematician . . . continued from yesterday . . .
The boss looks at the attempt. "You must be nuts if you think that
On 06/09/24 13:10, gwtc wrote:
> Kenn Yuill wrote:

>>> I may be wrong here, but the Unsent Messages folder IS in Local
>>> Folders in SM AND in TB.  In TB its called Unsent.  So, basically, it
>>> was by design, and I see nothing wrong with it, imo
>>>

>> First of all, this particular account was inherited from Tb, where at
>> some point a folder for Unsent Messages was created in it along with
>> one in Local Folders of course.  I prefer a setup where any unsent
>> messages are kept in the individual account(s) and hoped that a
>> preference could be created to achieve this, but there is nothing
>> wrong with the current design since the life of an unsent message is
>> normally short.
>>
> in TB, there is only one Unsent Messages folder and that is in the Local
> Folders account.

Yes under normal circumstances, but a second folder for Unsent Messages
was created during the initial setup of one version [likely 1.0.2].
This occurred when I chose a Global Inbox, then went back and deselected
this choice, IIRC.  This folder exists & was NOT created by me.