Heads-up: Enigmail Dropped Support for SeaMonkey

From the enigmail list:

> Subject: [Enigmail] [Ann] Dropped Support for SeaMonkey
> From: Patrick Brunschwig <patrick@enigmail.net>
> Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 19:07:19 +0100
> To: Enigmail user discussion list <enigmail-users@enigmail.net>
> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.enigmail.general
>
> I have decided to stop supporting SeaMonkey with Enigmail. When Enigmail
> was created, it was an add-on for the Mozilla Suite (which was later
> renamed to SeaMonkey). I have therefore always continued supporting it,
> and didn't take this decision lightly. However, I think the time has
> come to say good-bye to SeaMonkey.
>
> Here are my reasons:
>
> * The number of SeaMonkey users has significantly shrunk over the last
>   years. The same is true for Enigmail-users with SeaMonkey. We remain
>   at only around 850 users (which is less than 0.5% of all users of
>   Enigmail).
>
> * SeaMonkey is close, but not identical to Thunderbird. There are a
>   number of SeaMonkey-specific defects and workarounds in Enigmail. I
>   don't think that the remaining number of users justifies that I
>   continue to invest time into it.
>
> * The official "stable" version of SeaMonkey has not received any
>   updates since SeaMonkey July 27, 2018 (which is comparable to Firefox
>   52). Since then there have been about 7 updates to Firefox/
>   Thunderbird with quite a number of security-related fixes. I therefore
>   consider SeaMonkey no longer safe.
>

> Good-Bye SeaMonkey, you have been a good friend.
>
> -Patrick

NoOp
2/8/2019 8:45:05 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13060 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

NoOp wrote:
> From the enigmail list:
>
>> Subject: [Enigmail] [Ann] Dropped Support for SeaMonkey

<snipped depressing news>

Crap! 20yr+ history with Seamonkey|Mozilla|Communicator and a business
mail account that requires encryption...sigh, Thunderbird...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
2/9/2019 3:02:29 AM
On 2/8/2019 7:02 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> From the enigmail list:
>>
>>> Subject: [Enigmail] [Ann] Dropped Support for SeaMonkey
>
> <snipped depressing news>
>
> Crap! 20yr+ history with Seamonkey|Mozilla|Communicator and a business
> mail account that requires encryption...sigh, Thunderbird...

I create my message in a text, Word, or PDF file and then encrypt it
with PGP.  I attached the encrypted file to a plain-text E-mail message
that contains nothing relevant to the real message.

--
David E. Ross

Trump again proves he is a major source of fake news.  He wants
to cut off disaster funds to repair the damage caused by the
Woolsey Fire in southern California because he claims the state
fails to manage its forests properly.  The Woolsey Fire was NOT
a forest fire.  Starting in an industrial tract, it did not burn
through any forests.

See <http://www.rossde.com/fire.html>.
0
David
2/9/2019 3:34:21 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 2/8/2019 7:02 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> From the enigmail list:

>> <snipped depressing news>
>>
>> Crap! 20yr+ history with Seamonkey|Mozilla|Communicator and a business
>> mail account that requires encryption...sigh, Thunderbird...
>>

> I create my message in a text, Word, or PDF file and then encrypt it
> with PGP.  I attached the encrypted file to a plain-text E-mail message
> that contains nothing relevant to the real message.

Different application, server generated data...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
2/9/2019 5:14:48 AM
I would wait with any hasty decisions. Not sure if they will be able to put
enigmail out with TB 68. Classic add-on support is now more or less completely
trashed in the tree.

FRG

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> <snipped depressing news>
>>>
>>> Crap! 20yr+ history with Seamonkey|Mozilla|Communicator and a business
>>> mail account that requires encryption...sigh, Thunderbird...
>>>

>> I create my message in a text, Word, or PDF file and then encrypt it
>> with PGP.  I attached the encrypted file to a plain-text E-mail message
>> that contains nothing relevant to the real message.
>>

> Different application, server generated data...

0
Frank
2/9/2019 9:53:37 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> I would wait with any hasty decisions. Not sure if they will be able to
> put enigmail out with TB 68. Classic add-on support is now more or less
> completely trashed in the tree.
>
> FRG
>
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I create my message in a text, Word, or PDF file and then encrypt it
>>> with PGP.  I attached the encrypted file to a plain-text E-mail message
>>> that contains nothing relevant to the real message.
>>>

>> Different application, server generated data...

Great.  I just installed Enigmail in October and now they are dropping
support.  I trust they are not going to take out SeaMonkey specific
patches that are already in and simply not continue to make further changes.

Would it be possible once the dust has settled for the SeaMonkey support
team to attempt to keep the interface Enigmail uses compatible with them
as opposed to them matching with SM?  Given the current situation I know
that is asking quite a bit, but then again I don't know what the future
will hold and what will be needed to do so.

Dave
0
David
2/9/2019 3:20:32 PM
I added the ChromeUtils.import which is needed for EDR60 compatibility to 2.53
but won't do this for 2.49.x. Too many prerequisites. Might be all what is
needed for now unless he takes parts out of Enigmail.

FRG

David H. Durgee wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> I would wait with any hasty decisions. Not sure if they will be able to
>> put enigmail out with TB 68. Classic add-on support is now more or less
>> completely trashed in the tree.
>>
>> FRG
>>
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> Different application, server generated data...
>>>

> Great.  I just installed Enigmail in October and now they are dropping
> support.  I trust they are not going to take out SeaMonkey specific
> patches that are already in and simply not continue to make further changes.
>
> Would it be possible once the dust has settled for the SeaMonkey support
> team to attempt to keep the interface Enigmail uses compatible with them
> as opposed to them matching with SM?  Given the current situation I know
> that is asking quite a bit, but then again I don't know what the future
> will hold and what will be needed to do so.
>
> Dave

0
Frank
2/10/2019 12:10:33 AM
Could he do so without breaking support for Thunderbird and other
platforms?  Perhaps someone should contact him about not actively
removing code that SeaMonkey and others platforms might require and
simply leaving it as is?  The working around any future problems would
then be on the hands of the supporters of the other platforms.

Dave

> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote: I added the ChromeUtils.import which is needed for EDR60 compatibility
> to 2.53 but won't do this for 2.49.x. Too many prerequisites. Might be
> all what is needed for now unless he takes parts out of Enigmail.
>
> FRG
>
> David H. Durgee wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>> I would wait with any hasty decisions. Not sure if they will be able to
>>> put enigmail out with TB 68. Classic add-on support is now more or less
>>> completely trashed in the tree.
>>>
>>> FRG

>> Great.  I just installed Enigmail in October and now they are dropping
>> support.  I trust they are not going to take out SeaMonkey specific
>> patches that are already in and simply not continue to make further
>> changes.
>>
>> Would it be possible once the dust has settled for the SeaMonkey support
>> team to attempt to keep the interface Enigmail uses compatible with them
>> as opposed to them matching with SM?  Given the current situation I know
>> that is asking quite a bit, but then again I don't know what the future
>> will hold and what will be needed to do so.
>>
>> Dave

0
David