From Mozilla to SeaMonkey

How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?

Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?

I�ll appreciate any help in this matter.

Monica//
0
Monica
4/13/2007 8:09:17 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13598 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Monica wrote:
> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>
> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>
> I�ll appreciate any help in this matter.
>
> Monica//

all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored
in an area called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will
pick up and start using your Moz profile, with no problems.

Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a
drive and if you like it then you can let it take over your
Moz profile.

For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over
the profile. I had no problems whatsoever.

Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are basically the same thing,
except SM is more advanced.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
4/13/2007 9:13:49 PM
On 13/04/2007 4:09 PM, _Monica_ spoke thusly:

http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#fromMoz

> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?

It would be pointless. :-)
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 13/04/2007 4:09 PM, _Monica_ spoke thusly:
>
>> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
>> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>

> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#fromMoz
>
>> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>

> It would be pointless. :-)

OK, that did it! I�ll be moving shortly.

Thanks,
Monica//
0
Monica
4/13/2007 11:11:53 PM
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored in an area
> called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will pick up and start
> using your Moz profile, with no problems.
>
> Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a drive and if
> you like it then you can let it take over your Moz profile.
>
> For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over the
> profile. I had no problems whatsoever.

Yeah; I've done the same, more or less.  Actually, I do a lot of web
testing, and I often find it useful to have a number of different profiles,
each set up differently.  One overrides fonts, another overrides colors,
a third overrides both.  And I use any of the profiles with either mozilla
or seamonkey.  That way, I don't need a complete set of profiles for each
browser.

I don't know if there's a way to make firefox use the same profiles that
mozilla and seamonkey use.  It would be useful.  And even more useful would
be a way to make all my installed browsers use the same set of profiles.
But I suppose there's no hope of that.

(My Mac currently has 9 browsers installed.  My linux box has only 5, but
I'm thinking of adding some more.)
0
John
4/14/2007 3:40:32 AM
Monica wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> On 13/04/2007 4:09 PM, _Monica_ spoke thusly:
>>
>>> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
>>> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>>

>> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#fromMoz
>>
>>> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>>

>> It would be pointless. :-)
>
> OK, that did it! I�ll be moving shortly.
>
> Thanks,
> Monica//

For most people I know who have upgraded to Seamonkey, the hardest part
was breaking the habbit of which icon to click to launch it :)

--
SeaMonkey 1.1.1
Multizilla 1.8.3.0h

(Windows 2000/Fedora Core 6)
0
Trel
4/14/2007 3:42:47 AM
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 13/04/2007 4:09 PM, _Monica_ spoke thusly:
>> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
>> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>
> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#fromMoz
>
>> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>
> It would be pointless. :-)

Probably true for most people. But if you do much web testing,
you should probably keep mozilla around, since there are still
lots of people using it.

(My collection of machines includes one somewhat oldish RedHat
box that firefox and seamonkey refuse to run on, but mozilla
works just fine. I know some companies that are running similar
old machines and don't want to upgrade them, so I keep the machine
around for regression testing. But I suppose this isn't for everyone.)
0
John
4/14/2007 3:45:51 AM
John Chambers wrote:
> I don't know if there's a way to make firefox use the same profiles that
> mozilla and seamonkey use.  It would be useful.

no, FF can't can't use the same profile as SM or Moz.
They're incompatible with each other.  Only SM, Mozilla
Suite, and Netscape 7.x can share, because they're all Suite
programs.  They're compatible with each other.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
4/14/2007 6:07:43 AM
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Monica wrote:
>
>> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
>> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>>
>> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>>
>> I�ll appreciate any help in this matter.
>>
>> Monica//
>

> all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored in an area
> called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will pick up and start
> using your Moz profile, with no problems.
>
> Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a drive and if
> you like it then you can let it take over your Moz profile.
>
> For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over the
> profile. I had no problems whatsoever.
>
> Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are basically the same thing, except SM is
> more advanced.

Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are stored
I�m afraid.

Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrat�r\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt

The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache

Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this newsgroup
sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org

I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this mess. I
don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go directly to
SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I really need to
know exactly in what order to do things not to screw up even more.

Monica//
0
Monica
4/14/2007 7:46:23 AM
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> John Chambers wrote:
>> I don't know if there's a way to make firefox use the same profiles that
>> mozilla and seamonkey use.  It would be useful.
>
> no, FF can't can't use the same profile as SM or Moz. They're
> incompatible with each other.  Only SM, Mozilla Suite, and Netscape 7.x
> can share, because they're all Suite programs.  They're compatible with
> each other.

Peter, I've often thought about this (sharing suite profile with FF/TB).
Wouldn't FF just use those lines of the prefs.js file that applied to
it, TB use those that applied to it, and SM use those that applied to it.

FF could use the same addressbook.html as SM and TB use the same
abook.mab as SM without any problems!

Daniel
0
Daniel
4/14/2007 11:12:03 AM
Monica wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Monica wrote:
>>
>>> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
>>> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>>>
>>> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>>>
>>> I�ll appreciate any help in this matter.
>>>
>>> Monica//
>>

>> all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored in an area
>> called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will pick up and start
>> using your Moz profile, with no problems.
>>
>> Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a drive and
>> if you like it then you can let it take over your Moz profile.
>>
>> For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over the
>> profile. I had no problems whatsoever.
>>
>> Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are basically the same thing, except SM is
>> more advanced.
>>
> Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
> previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
> has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are stored
> I�m afraid.
>
> Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
> Settings\Administrat�r\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt
>
> The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
> C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache
>
> Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this newsgroup
> sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
> 7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org
>
> I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this mess. I
> don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go directly to
> SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I really need to
> know exactly in what order to do things not to screw up even more.
>
> Monica//

Monica, easiest way to sort this out is to do a complete new install of
SM. Let it make a new profile where it wants things to be, then manually
collect the bits and pieces of your other profiles and copy them over
the top of your new SM profile files.

SM will make a prefs.js that it needs...leave it alone. The files you're
interested in are inbox (the emails you've received), sent (the emails
you've sent), abook.mab (email addresses), bookmarks.html (websites) and
two files with a string of numbers and the letter s or m, eg 45654898.s.
I think thats all.

Daniel
0
Daniel
4/14/2007 11:29:21 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Monica wrote:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored in an area
>>> called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will pick up and start
>>> using your Moz profile, with no problems.
>>>
>>> Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a drive and
>>> if you like it then you can let it take over your Moz profile.
>>>
>>> For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over the
>>> profile. I had no problems whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are basically the same thing, except SM
>>> is more advanced.
>>>
>> Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
>> previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
>> has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are
>> stored I�m afraid.
>>
>> Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Administrat�r\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt
>>
>> The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
>> C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache
>>
>> Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this
>> newsgroup sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
>> 7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org
>>
>> I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this mess.
>> I don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go
>> directly to SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I
>> really need to know exactly in what order to do things not to screw up
>> even more.
>>
>> Monica//
>

> Monica, easiest way to sort this out is to do a complete new install of
> SM.
Should I first uninstall Mozilla?

  Let it make a new profile where it wants things to be, then manually
> collect the bits and pieces of your other profiles and copy them over
> the top of your new SM profile files.
>
> SM will make a prefs.js that it needs...leave it alone.
Does that mean I have to make/choose all my preferences again?

  The files you're
> interested in are inbox (the emails you've received), sent (the emails
> you've sent), abook.mab (email addresses), bookmarks.html (websites) and
> two files with a string of numbers and the letter s or m, eg 45654898.s.
I find one string with "s",  but none with an "m". There one with a "w"
though, is that the other one I should copy?

Thanks,
Monica//
> I think thats all.
>
> Daniel
0
Monica
4/14/2007 6:15:31 PM
Monica wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Monica wrote:
>>
>>> How do I go from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.1?
>>> What can I transfer from the old to the new suite?
>>>
>>> Would it be wise to keep Mozilla for a while?
>>>
>>> I�ll appreciate any help in this matter.
>>>
>>> Monica//
>>

>> all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored in an area
>> called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will pick up and start
>> using your Moz profile, with no problems.
>>
>> Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a drive and
>> if you like it then you can let it take over your Moz profile.
>>
>> For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over the
>> profile. I had no problems whatsoever.
>>
>> Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are basically the same thing, except SM is
>> more advanced.
>>
> Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
> previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
> has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are stored
> I�m afraid.
>
> Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
> Settings\Administrat�r\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt
>
> The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
> C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache
>
> Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this newsgroup
> sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
> 7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org
>
> I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this mess. I
> don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go directly to
> SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I really need to
> know exactly in what order to do things not to screw up even more.
>
> Monica//

before you install SM, use Moz and create a new profile for
SM.  Now, install SM, and let it use this new profile.  When
you get SM up and running, create all your email accounts, etc.

Now, close SM, and copy your password file of an 8 digit
number that ends in an x [such as 12345678.s] and key3.db.
Copy your bookmarks.html file.  Now, under mail, copy over
all the files except the *.msf ones.  Now, reopen SM.  And
everything should be over. Now, setup SM they way you want it.

Don't uninstall Moz at this time.  Just leave it for now.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
4/14/2007 10:26:47 PM
Daniel wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> John Chambers wrote:
>>> I don't know if there's a way to make firefox use the same profiles that
>>> mozilla and seamonkey use.  It would be useful.
>>
>> no, FF can't can't use the same profile as SM or Moz. They're
>> incompatible with each other.  Only SM, Mozilla Suite, and Netscape
>> 7.x can share, because they're all Suite programs.  They're compatible
>> with each other.
>>

> Peter, I've often thought about this (sharing suite profile with FF/TB).
> Wouldn't FF just use those lines of the prefs.js file that applied to
> it, TB use those that applied to it, and SM use those that applied to it.
>
> FF could use the same addressbook.html as SM and TB use the same
> abook.mab as SM without any problems!
>
> Daniel

whats an addressbook.html? I don't have that?

Granted, FF and TB can use some files such as abook.mab,
bookmarks.html, password file and key3.db.  But not all
files.  It can't use the same prefs.js file

As a matter of fact for TB, you can point to the same
location for your mail, and let them share the same mail
directories.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
4/14/2007 10:58:16 PM
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Monica wrote:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> all your settings, prefs, bookmarks, mail, etc, are stored in an area
>>> called the Profile.  When you install SM, it will pick up and start
>>> using your Moz profile, with no problems.
>>>
>>> Or, you can create a separate profile for SM, take SM for a drive and
>>> if you like it then you can let it take over your Moz profile.
>>>
>>> For me, I just went ahead and installed and let it take over the
>>> profile. I had no problems whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are basically the same thing, except SM
>>> is more advanced.
>>>
>> Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
>> previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
>> has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are
>> stored I�m afraid.
>>
>> Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Administrat�r\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt
>>
>> The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
>> C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache
>>
>> Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this
>> newsgroup sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
>> 7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org
>>
>> I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this mess.
>> I don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go
>> directly to SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I
>> really need to know exactly in what order to do things not to screw up
>> even more.
>>
>> Monica//
>

> before you install SM, use Moz and create a new profile for SM.  Now,
> install SM, and let it use this new profile.  When you get SM up and
> running, create all your email accounts, etc.
>
> Now, close SM, and copy your password file of an 8 digit number that
> ends in an x [such as 12345678.s] and key3.db. Copy your bookmarks.html
> file.  Now, under mail, copy over all the files except the *.msf ones.
> Now, reopen SM.  And everything should be over. Now, setup SM they way
> you want it.
>
> Don't uninstall Moz at this time.  Just leave it for now.

What would happen if I, instead of doing the above, would uninstall the
two old Netscape profiles? My thoughts with that are since there are
only two files (cache and news.mozilla.org) in those old Netscape
profiles that for some obscure reasons are currently being used by my
Mozilla profile, would that make Mozilla use its "own" cache. It should
also be possible to subscribed to this newsgroup by using my Mozilla
profile.

I�m trying to see if I can possibly get a "normal" Mozilla profile going
for SM to pick up, with everything in it so that I don�t have to set all
new settings, preferences, mail accounts and so on.

Monica//
0
Monica
4/14/2007 11:17:07 PM
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>>
>>> no, FF can't can't use the same profile as SM or Moz. They're
>>> incompatible with each other.  Only SM, Mozilla Suite, and Netscape
>>> 7.x can share, because they're all Suite programs.  They're
>>> compatible with each other.
>>>

>> Peter, I've often thought about this (sharing suite profile with
>> FF/TB). Wouldn't FF just use those lines of the prefs.js file that
>> applied to it, TB use those that applied to it, and SM use those that
>> applied to it.
>>
>> FF could use the same addressbook.html as SM and TB use the same
>> abook.mab as SM without any problems!
>>
>> Daniel
>
> whats an addressbook.html? I don't have that?
>
> Granted, FF and TB can use some files such as abook.mab, bookmarks.html,
> password file and key3.db.  But not all files.  It can't use the same
> prefs.js file
>
> As a matter of fact for TB, you can point to the same location for your
> mail, and let them share the same mail directories.

O.K., in my reply to Monica I did change addressbook.html to
bookmarks.html, so, hopefully I don't confuse her.

alright, so the TB profile would just consist of the prefs.js file,
which points the program to the SM profile. Can a similar arrangement
work for FF??

Daniel
0
Daniel
4/14/2007 11:37:31 PM
Monica wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Monica wrote:

>>> Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
>>> previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
>>> has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are
>>> stored I�m afraid.
>>>
>>> Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
>>> Settings\Administrat�r\Application
>>> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt
>>>
>>> The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
>>> C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache
>>>
>>> Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this
>>> newsgroup sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
>>> 7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org
>>>
>>> I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this
>>> mess. I don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go
>>> directly to SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I
>>> really need to know exactly in what order to do things not to screw
>>> up even more.
>>>
>>> Monica//
>>

>> Monica, easiest way to sort this out is to do a complete new install
>> of SM.
> Should I first uninstall Mozilla?

Either way, SeaMonkey will install where it want, then find your Moz/NS
profile info. Just typing Moz/NS makes me wonder if you had NS (with its
profile) then installed Moz and used the NS profile as a starter for
Moz, you would now have the stale NS profile and the active Moz profile,
so SM may pick up the the stale NS profile and not the active Moz
profile, but if this happens, give us a shout, we can get you there!!

>  Let it make a new profile where it wants things to be, then manually
>> collect the bits and pieces of your other profiles and copy them over
>> the top of your new SM profile files.
>>
>> SM will make a prefs.js that it needs...leave it alone.
> Does that mean I have to make/choose all my preferences again?

If you are setting up a new profile, Yes!

>  The files you're
>> interested in are inbox (the emails you've received), sent (the emails
>> you've sent), abook.mab (email addresses), bookmarks.html (websites)
>> and two files with a string of numbers and the letter s or m, eg
>> 45654898.s.
> I find one string with "s",  but none with an "m". There one with a "w"
> though, is that the other one I should copy?

"m"..."w"  so I was inverted at the time.

Yes, that is the one. Well done.

> Thanks,
> Monica//
>> I think thats all.
>>
>> Daniel
0
Daniel
4/14/2007 11:44:05 PM
Monica wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Monica wrote:

>>> Thanks for your advice, I�m ready to move to SM now. However, my
>>> previous move to Mozilla 1.7.12 from Netscape 7.2 (from Netscape 7.1)
>>> has screwed things up a bit as far as where different things are
>>> stored I�m afraid.
>>>
>>> Here it goes; My current working profile sits in C:\Documents and
>>> Settings\Administrat�r\Application
>>> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Monica\xxxxxxxx.slt
>>>
>>> The "Cache" that�s in use though sits in one of my previous profiles:
>>> C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.2\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache
>>>
>>> Even worse is (no idea how this could have happened)that this
>>> newsgroup sits in C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape
>>> 7.1\xxxxxxxx.slt\News\news.mozilla.org
>>>
>>> I would be very grateful if you guys could help me sort out this
>>> mess. I don�t want those old profiles any more, and I am ready to go
>>> directly to SeaMonkey and delete Mozilla as well (trust you guys). I
>>> really need to know exactly in what order to do things not to screw
>>> up even more.
>>>
>>> Monica//
>>

>> before you install SM, use Moz and create a new profile for SM.  Now,
>> install SM, and let it use this new profile.  When you get SM up and
>> running, create all your email accounts, etc.
>>
>> Now, close SM, and copy your password file of an 8 digit number that
>> ends in an x [such as 12345678.s] and key3.db. Copy your
>> bookmarks.html file.  Now, under mail, copy over all the files except
>> the *.msf ones.  Now, reopen SM.  And everything should be over. Now,
>> setup SM they way you want it.
>>
>> Don't uninstall Moz at this time.  Just leave it for now.
>>
> What would happen if I, instead of doing the above, would uninstall the
> two old Netscape profiles? My thoughts with that are since there are
> only two files (cache and news.mozilla.org) in those old Netscape
> profiles that for some obscure reasons are currently being used by my
> Mozilla profile, would that make Mozilla use its "own" cache. It should
> also be possible to subscribed to this newsgroup by using my Mozilla
> profile.
>
> I�m trying to see if I can possibly get a "normal" Mozilla profile going
> for SM to pick up, with everything in it so that I don�t have to set all
> new settings, preferences, mail accounts and so on.
>
> Monica//

Monica....safety first...make sure your new set-up works before deleting
the old set-up.

If you let SM set up its own profile, you will have a new cache, then
copy over all the important file, as Peter suggests (I keep forgetting
about key3.db), then, subscribe to news.mozilla.org, and then, when you
are sure you can get into your Bank account, etc., then you can dump the
old stuff.

Daniel
0
Daniel
4/14/2007 11:50:09 PM
Daniel wrote:
> alright, so the TB profile would just consist of the prefs.js file,
> which points the program to the SM profile. Can a similar arrangement
> work for FF??
>
> Daniel

you can change the bookmarks file location with:
browser.bookmarks.file

and the cache with: browser.cache.disk.parent_directory

and I think thats about it.  But FF wouldn't read SM cache,
but it can with the bookmarks.  I have mine set up like that.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
0
Peter
4/14/2007 11:50:28 PM
Daniel wrote:
> Monica wrote:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> before you install SM, use Moz and create a new profile for SM.  Now,
>>> install SM, and let it use this new profile.  When you get SM up and
>>> running, create all your email accounts, etc.
>>>
>>> Now, close SM, and copy your password file of an 8 digit number that
>>> ends in an x [such as 12345678.s] and key3.db. Copy your
>>> bookmarks.html file.  Now, under mail, copy over all the files except
>>> the *.msf ones.  Now, reopen SM.  And everything should be over. Now,
>>> setup SM they way you want it.
>>>
>>> Don't uninstall Moz at this time.  Just leave it for now.
>>>
>> What would happen if I, instead of doing the above, would uninstall
>> the two old Netscape profiles? My thoughts with that are since there
>> are only two files (cache and news.mozilla.org) in those old Netscape
>> profiles that for some obscure reasons are currently being used by my
>> Mozilla profile, would that make Mozilla use its "own" cache. It
>> should also be possible to subscribed to this newsgroup by using my
>> Mozilla profile.
>>
>> I�m trying to see if I can possibly get a "normal" Mozilla profile
>> going for SM to pick up, with everything in it so that I don�t have to
>> set all new settings, preferences, mail accounts and so on.
>>
>> Monica//
>

> Monica....safety first...make sure your new set-up works before deleting
> the old set-up.
>
> If you let SM set up its own profile, you will have a new cache, then
> copy over all the important file, as Peter suggests (I keep forgetting
> about key3.db), then, subscribe to news.mozilla.org, and then, when you
> are sure you can get into your Bank account, etc., then you can dump the
> old stuff.
>
> Daniel

OK, it sounds like I ought to keep Mozilla (and the old Netscpae
profiles :-( ) for now after all.

One question though, why is it that I can�t just copy and use the
prefs.file from Mozilla to SM since they are supposedly compatible?

Monica//
0
Monica
4/15/2007 7:16:18 AM
Monica wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Monica wrote:

>>> What would happen if I, instead of doing the above, would uninstall
>>> the two old Netscape profiles? My thoughts with that are since there
>>> are only two files (cache and news.mozilla.org) in those old Netscape
>>> profiles that for some obscure reasons are currently being used by my
>>> Mozilla profile, would that make Mozilla use its "own" cache. It
>>> should also be possible to subscribed to this newsgroup by using my
>>> Mozilla profile.
>>>
>>> I�m trying to see if I can possibly get a "normal" Mozilla profile
>>> going for SM to pick up, with everything in it so that I don�t have
>>> to set all new settings, preferences, mail accounts and so on.
>>>
>>> Monica//
>>

>> Monica....safety first...make sure your new set-up works before
>> deleting the old set-up.
>>
>> If you let SM set up its own profile, you will have a new cache, then
>> copy over all the important file, as Peter suggests (I keep forgetting
>> about key3.db), then, subscribe to news.mozilla.org, and then, when
>> you are sure you can get into your Bank account, etc., then you can
>> dump the old stuff.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> OK, it sounds like I ought to keep Mozilla (and the old Netscpae
> profiles :-( ) for now after all.
>
> One question though, why is it that I can�t just copy and use the
> prefs.file from Mozilla to SM since they are supposedly compatible?
>
> Monica//

As far as the profile is concerned, I don't think there would be much
problem, but prefs.js sets up a lot more than just the profile location.
So you might end up thinking you are using a particular file in the SM
location, but because you copied the Moz prefs.js, you might actually be
using a file in the Moz program location. Then, when you do delete your
Moz program, because, you're not using it any more.......

Daniel

0
Daniel
4/15/2007 10:36:49 AM
Monica wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Monica wrote:

>>> What would happen if I, instead of doing the above, would uninstall
>>> the two old Netscape profiles? My thoughts with that are since there
>>> are only two files (cache and news.mozilla.org) in those old Netscape
>>> profiles that for some obscure reasons are currently being used by my
>>> Mozilla profile, would that make Mozilla use its "own" cache. It
>>> should also be possible to subscribed to this newsgroup by using my
>>> Mozilla profile.
>>>
>>> I�m trying to see if I can possibly get a "normal" Mozilla profile
>>> going for SM to pick up, with everything in it so that I don�t have
>>> to set all new settings, preferences, mail accounts and so on.
>>>
>>> Monica//
>>

>> Monica....safety first...make sure your new set-up works before
>> deleting the old set-up.
>>
>> If you let SM set up its own profile, you will have a new cache, then
>> copy over all the important file, as Peter suggests (I keep forgetting
>> about key3.db), then, subscribe to news.mozilla.org, and then, when
>> you are sure you can get into your Bank account, etc., then you can
>> dump the old stuff.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> OK, it sounds like I ought to keep Mozilla (and the old Netscpae
> profiles :-( ) for now after all.
>
> One question though, why is it that I can�t just copy and use the
> prefs.file from Mozilla to SM since they are supposedly compatible?
>
> Monica//

As far as the profile is concerned, I don't think there would be much
problem, but prefs.js sets up a lot more than just the profile location.
So you might end up thinking you are using a particular file in the SM
location, but because you copied the Moz prefs.js, you might actually be
using a file in the Moz program location. Then, when you do delete your
Moz program, because, you're not using it any more.......

Daniel
0
Daniel
4/15/2007 10:49:24 AM
Don't know why I sent this twice.

Daniel

0
Daniel

Importing Seamonkey to Seamonkey.
I'm sure it's simple. but I can't figure out how to import all settings, address book, bookmarks. accounts from one drive to another on the same Mac. I'm switching boot from one drive to another. Can you help? Thanks. John Sipos Broadcast talk journalist 727-432-1322 John Sipos wrote: > I'm sure it's simple. but I can't figure out how to import all settings, > address book, bookmarks. accounts from one drive to another on the same > Mac. I'm switching boot from one drive to another. Can you help? Thanks. > > John Sipos &...

Seamonkey support
I called support for help in transferring email from one hard drive to another after a crash. It took all day, after being disconnected twice and leaving my credit card info on one of those, I was finally able to reach the second live person. I explained that I needed to transfer my email from the previous account to the new one, gave cc info again and was walked through the process to restore the needed files. When I told the person I needed the steps for my second email address, I was told that it would be another $39.95. He refused to help without another charge. luckil...

SeaMonkey
Name: Robert Nolan Email: robert_nolan_at_hotmail.com Product: Other (please state) Summary: SeaMonkey Comments: SeaMonkey does not give me the option to import bookmarks from Opera. Bugzilla does not let me log in to submit comments like this. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051219 SeaMonkey/1.0b ...

Seamonkey
Is it appropriate to ask Seamonkey-related questions here? If so, how do I import bookmarks from Firefox and email accounts from Thunderbird? Thanks. -- Pete Holsberg Columbus, NJ -- To be able under all circumstances to practice five things constitutes perfect virtue; these five things are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness. Confucius Pete Holsberg wrote: > Is it appropriate to ask Seamonkey-related questions here? > > If so, how do I import bookmarks from Firefox and email accounts from > Thunderbird? > > Thanks....

SeaMonkey
I am trying to build a new website with SeaMonkey. All has worked well and I have built 15 pages, however, I have started to see that sometimes when I open some pages, there are several images that have disappeared from their relevant box. This problem seems to have started, after being advised to have all my images in the html folder in SeaMonkey, so I dragged them over from my file in my computer and dropped them into the same file as my web pages. Now sometimes I have a full page of images (Photos) and sometimes a number of them are missing. Please help me. Marcel ...

Seamonkey
Is there any way to export to Seamonkey the emails and account setting I have in TB? J On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:43:44 -0500, Jeffinputnam wrote: > Is there any way to export to Seamonkey the emails and account setting I > have in TB? > > J Go to your TB profile which will be somewhere like C:\Documents and Settings\Yourname\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default.bci (Best to make a copy of it at this point) then copy the folder called MAIL the go to your SB profile at C:\Documents and Settings\Yourname\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\anumber....

Seamonkey
Is there any hacks to get Seamonkey to work with Calendar? ...

seamonkey
jim. jim wrote: > jim. ckeck if can reply jim wrote: > jim wrote: >> jim. > ckeck if can reply That's ok, Jim, this is what the test group if for....conducting tests. When/If you find you are having problems, go to the mozilla.support.seamonkey group and ask for help! -- Seasons greeting, one and all.... and may next year be a better one! Daniel Daniel wrote: > jim wrote: >> jim wrote: >>> jim. >> ckeck if can reply > > That's ok, Jim, this is what the test group if for....conducting tests. > > Whe...

Seamonkey
I've been playing with SeaMonkey V2 beta. It had an irritating problem with its newsreader personality (trailing dot buffer parsing I'd guess). Anyway, Dennis has posted the latest version 1.1.18. It doesn't have this problem. When trying to incorporate some addons, the process is not nearly so obvious as in the Version 2 or FF3.5 but at least the parsing fault is missing. Trying to add NoScript. No problem Trying to add Adblock plus. Message = 'No install script found' The ABP site lists ABP for Seamonkey for Version 2. No mention of earlier(s) Surely cannot be...

SeaMonkey
Name: Colin Peel Email: peel_at_univ-perp.fr Product: Other (please state) Summary: SeaMonkey Comments: This latest build is fast, relatively reliable (it gets bogged down on occasions, but less often). On the other hand, it's nuts. You ask it to suppress an article, and it tries to download it. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060130 SeaMonkey/1.5a ...

Bookmarks: XP Seamonkey to Vista Seamonkey
I'm thoroughly confused Have copied the requisite XP file: C\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\gobbledeguk.slt onto a thumbdrive. Installed thumbdrive in new Vista PC. PC sees file. Transferred file. Seamonkey does not see file in current location. Should I be doing an import with Seamonkey directly from the thumb drive? I can't even find the proper place for Owner file, and security says I can't get into Application data file, even though I am the Administrator and the sole user of the PC. Where does Vista/Seamonkey think this fil...

Seamonkey trunk versus Seamonkey branch nightlies
On the ftp site, are there different Seamonkeys try out, for ex. Seamonkey trunk versus Seamonkey branch? Or are they all trunk? Assuming they are mostly trunk nightlies, has the SM trunk been branched at all yet? -- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anti-scammers/ A new epidemic - the Nigerian "romance scam": Nigerian crooks using dating sites, Yahoo chat rooms and Yahoo messenger to con people. Using fake profiles with photos of real models, they "romance" both men and women and then con them. Join the group to learn more. On mailWindowOverlay.xul, Bob w...

SVGView Support in Seamonkey
I acquired an application that uses SVGView support to display large images. I found support for IE but so far, none for Seamonkey. Does anyone know where I can find it? Thanks in advance. On 12/09/2009 08:50 AM, Joe Mueller wrote: > I acquired an application that uses SVGView support to display large > images. I found support for IE but so far, none for Seamonkey. > > Does anyone know where I can find it? > > Thanks in advance. A bit dated, but perhaps these will give you a starting point: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Adobe_SVG_Viewer http://www.mozilla...

On Seamonkey
Some time ago someone on this newsgroup kindly told me about XUL Runner <http://wiki.mozilla.org/XUL:Xul_Runner>. I've just had another quick look at the page I just referred to: seems to be no mention of making XUL Runner a core technology for Firefox and Thunderbird. If XUL Runner did become a core technology for Firefox and Thunderbird then the people using these programs would only need one Gecko runtime loaded into memory no matter how many XUL+XPCOM(*) applications they're running simultaneously. So wouldn't that be just about it for the Seamonkey p...

maildir support in seamonkey
Hello, I'm starting to work on maildir support for seamonkey mailnews (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58308). Would anyone like to help/give some comments/advices? Thanks Best regards Petr Petr Cerny aber hob zu reden an und schrieb: > I'm starting to work on maildir support for seamonkey mailnews Nice! :-D > (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58308). > Would anyone like to help/give some comments/advices? Could you summarize _how_ you intend to implement it? Like, how/where to choose/set/detect maildir usage; which code synerg...

Web resources about - From Mozilla to SeaMonkey - mozilla.support.seamonkey

The Hawaiian Seamonkey
Diving, eating, gardening, loving the Big Island of Hawaii

The SeaMonkey® Project
The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkeyall-in-one internet application suite (see below).Such a software suite was ...

SeaMonkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cross-platform Internet suite . It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite , based on the same source code. Core Mozilla ...

Review: SeaMonkey 1.1.8 for the Mac
SeaMonkey 1.1.8, the Mozilla Foundation's all-in-one Internet application, combines browsing, e-mail, HTML editing, and IRC chat.

SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 arrives for testing
Based on the same Gecko browser engine as Firefox 6, SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 has been released for testing. It offers improvements to WebGL that ...

SeaMonkey Offers Browser, E-Mail, and Chat
... resuscitated a group of Internet tools built by Netscapewhose spin-off, Mozilla, brought out the popular Firefox Web browser. Renamed SeaMonkey ...

SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet suite, releases new beta
The SeaMonkey Project has released SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 3 , a version that makes a lot of new functionality available to a wide audience for the ...

SeaMonkey review
Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML

SeaMonkey 2.33
... advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple, all your Internet needs in one application. The SeaMonkey ...

Seamonkey 1.1 Released
stuuf writes "Version 1.1 of the Seamonkey Internet Application Suite is now available, with quite a few improvements over the 1.0 series. Some ...