Extension support switch

Hello,

Is any of these new advanced Seamonkey versions like 2.53 and above going to drop XPI support
and move to WebEx like happened to Firefox ?

Just asked because I am worried about being prevented from using some of my current extensions.

Thanks in advance,

RF
0
Rubens
7/16/2019 7:48:55 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13291 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Rubens wrote on 07/16/2019 09:48 AM:
> Hello,
>

> Is any of these new advanced Seamonkey versions like 2.53 and above going to
> drop XPI support
> and move to WebEx like happened to Firefox ?

I don't think so

--
Gerard-Jan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein

Fedora 30
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816
0
GerardJan
7/16/2019 8:59:42 AM
Rubens schrieb:
> Hello,
>

> Is any of these new advanced Seamonkey versions like 2.53 and above
> going to drop XPI support
> and move to WebEx like happened to Firefox ?

Firefox still uses XPI files to install extensions.  It just no longer
supports the old XPCOM/XUL (aka legacy, aka classic) extensions. Judging
from the StatusMeetings Wiki page, most legacy extensions will cease to
work in SeaMonkey 2.54 due to Gecko API removals, WebExtensions will be
added in time for 2.57 (the next release after 2.53), non-bootstrapped
legacy extensions will be removed in 2.58, and support for legacy
extensions in general will be removed down the line.  One of the
developers can correct me (or better yet, clarify the Wiki page) if I'm
misinterpreting it.  In any case, I'm certain it'll be a long time
before we have to worry about it; after all, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 itself is
almost a year old, and so it'll probably be years at minimum until a
version that doesn't support legacy extensions is released.
0
Keith
7/23/2019 1:00:19 AM
Keith Bowes wrote on 23/07/2019 03:00:
> Rubens schrieb:
>> Hello,
>>

>> Is any of these new advanced Seamonkey versions like 2.53 and above go=
ing to drop XPI support
>> and move to WebEx like happened to Firefox ?
>>
>=20
> Firefox still uses XPI files to install extensions.=C2=A0 It just no lo=
nger supports the old XPCOM/XUL (aka legacy, aka classic) extensions. Jud=
ging from the StatusMeetings Wiki page, most legacy extensions will cease=
 to work in SeaMonkey 2.54 due to Gecko API removals, WebExtensions will =
be added in time for 2.57 (the next release after 2.53), non-bootstrapped=
 legacy extensions will be removed in 2.58, and support for legacy extens=
ions in general will be removed down the line.=C2=A0 One of the developer=
s can correct=20
> me (or better yet, clarify the Wiki page) if I'm misinterpreting it.=C2=
=A0 In any case, I'm certain it'll be a long time before we have to worry=
 about it; after all, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 itself is almost a year old, and s=
o it'll probably be years at minimum until a version that doesn't support=
 legacy extensions is released.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, much appreciated.

Then I guess the only move left beyond 2.49 while keeping my legacy exten=
sions is the 2.53. I will test it.

0
Rubens