Errors with YouTube

Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.
0
EE
3/22/2020 6:56:42 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13415 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 3/22/2020 11:56 AM, EE wrote:
> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.

I haven't had any issues in my SeaMonkey with YouTube.com. I even use
uBlock Origin, disabled send referrers, etc. Try SeaMonkey;'s safe mode
a new profile?
--
...!.. COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2!
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
3/22/2020 9:30:41 PM
EE wrote:
> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.

IMO, youtube became more sensitive to UA's a week or two ago.
My UA works for youtube and most places.
Yes, that's the entire string.

It does not work with money places though (bank, cards, etc.) and I have
to revert to a full name and number.  Some sniffers demand more.

0
Paul
3/22/2020 9:36:32 PM
On 3/22/2020 11:56 AM, EE wrote:
> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
Cookies for the requested Web site only
Popups blocked
Images for all domains domains enabled
HTML5 Media enabled

No problem with YouTube today.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Would the United States be more prepared to deal with COVID-19
if President Trump had not cut the budgets of the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC)?  His administration also eliminated the
Directorate for Global Health and Security and Bio-Defense,
the agency within the National Security Council tasked to
provide early warnings about epidemics and pandemics.

https://www.avg.com

0
David
3/22/2020 10:59:42 PM
David E. Ross wrote on 3/22/20 11:59 PM:
> On 3/22/2020 11:56 AM, EE wrote:
>> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
>> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
>> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
>> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
>> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
>> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
>> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.
>>

> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
> Cookies for the requested Web site only
> Popups blocked
> Images for all domains domains enabled
> HTML5 Media enabled
>
> No problem with YouTube today.

no problem, try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntzQiaFzOQ&list=RD-KRSpM8Rejs&index=4

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
SeaMonkey/2.53.1 beta 1
Build identifier: 20191230001009

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
3/23/2020 7:42:52 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> EE wrote:
>> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when
>> I tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
>> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing
>> with Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called
>> "tampering.js", the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done
>> something with its interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had
>> no problem with Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.
>
> IMO, youtube became more sensitive to UA's a week or two ago.
> My UA works for youtube and most places.
> Yes, that's the entire string.
>
> It does not work with money places though (bank, cards, etc.) and I have
> to revert to a full name and number.  Some sniffers demand more.

I noticed the UA problem when it started and set up an override that
works.  Blocking that javascript solved the new problem with SeaMonkey.
Had to get rid of an extension with Pale Moon in addition to that, though.
0
EE
3/23/2020 7:09:58 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 3/22/2020 11:56 AM, EE wrote:
>> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
>> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
>> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
>> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
>> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
>> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
>> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.
>>

> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
> Cookies for the requested Web site only
> Popups blocked
> Images for all domains domains enabled
> HTML5 Media enabled
>
> No problem with YouTube today.

The weird thing was that I see no copy of the problem javascript being
sent to the 3 browsers where I had no problems, only with the 2 with the
problem (except now that item is blocked).

0
EE
3/23/2020 7:12:32 PM
On 3/23/2020 12:12 PM, EE wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 3/22/2020 11:56 AM, EE wrote:
>>> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
>>> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
>>> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
>>> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
>>> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
>>> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
>>> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.
>>>

>> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>> Cookies for the requested Web site only
>> Popups blocked
>> Images for all domains domains enabled
>> HTML5 Media enabled
>>
>> No problem with YouTube today.
>>
> The weird thing was that I see no copy of the problem javascript being
> sent to the 3 browsers where I had no problems, only with the 2 with the
> problem (except now that item is blocked).

I do not understand.  Have you disabled JavaScript in the problem case?
Or is YouTube complaining about JavaScript despite the fact that it is
enabled?

So far today, I have viewed possibly 7 music videos on YouTube.
JavaScript is enabled, but so is AdBlock Plus.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Would the United States be more prepared to deal with COVID-19
if President Trump had not cut the budgets of the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC)?  His administration also eliminated the
Directorate for Global Health and Security and Bio-Defense,
the agency within the National Security Council tasked to
provide early warnings about epidemics and pandemics.

https://www.avg.com

0
David
3/23/2020 7:37:38 PM
EE wrote:
> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.

I just checked, and I'm not having any problems with YouTube. I'm
running 2.53.1, and I have both NoScript and uBlock Origin installed.
With NoScript, I do have to enable Google, Youtube, ytimg and
googlevideo, but I don't have to enable fonts.gstatic.com.  And I notice
that after I start running a video, I can disable google.com again.

For Google proper, I have an about:config entry for
general.useragent.override.google.com set to

	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/68.0

  where I'm not advertising that I'm using Seamonkey.  That one is to
fix an annoyance-grade display issue with Google's search page, where it
won't locate the cursor in the correct place. Google apparently does
that with all Firefox-derived UA strings that show the name of the true
browser.  I've seen people indicate strangeness with other Google sites,
where it may be necessary to do similar tweaking of UA strings, but I
haven't experienced that myself. I definitely don't need to do that for
YouTube.

Normally, I would suggest clearing cache and cookies, but if you're also
seeing that behavior in PaleMoon, it's possible that the source is
elsewhere.

Smith

0
NFN
3/24/2020 3:48:04 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 3/23/2020 12:12 PM, EE wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>>>

>>> Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>>> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>>> Cookies for the requested Web site only
>>> Popups blocked
>>> Images for all domains domains enabled
>>> HTML5 Media enabled
>>>
>>> No problem with YouTube today.
>>>
>> The weird thing was that I see no copy of the problem javascript being
>> sent to the 3 browsers where I had no problems, only with the 2 with the
>> problem (except now that item is blocked).
>>

> I do not understand.  Have you disabled JavaScript in the problem case?
> Or is YouTube complaining about JavaScript despite the fact that it is
> enabled?
>
> So far today, I have viewed possibly 7 music videos on YouTube.
> JavaScript is enabled, but so is AdBlock Plus.

I blocked that javascript with uBlock Origin by adding its address to my
personal filter list.

0
EE
3/24/2020 5:14:04 PM
On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 2:56:56 PM UTC-4, EE wrote:

I've been unable to post replies or comments for around four days using Sea=
monkey 2.53.1. I also can't like videos. The left sidebar that shows subscr=
iptions and other things comes and goes.  In looking around the youtube web=
site on what are probably less frequently frequented pages other things wor=
k and then don't too.

However, I seem to be able to post etc using Firefox 74.0.

Is this perhaps a UA issue?

0
qbr576
4/1/2020 6:18:36 PM
On 4/1/2020 11:18 AM, qbr576@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 2:56:56 PM UTC-4, EE wrote:
>
> I've been unable to post replies or comments for around four days using Seamonkey 2.53.1. I also can't like videos. The left sidebar that shows subscriptions and other things comes and goes.  In looking around the youtube website on what are probably less frequently frequented pages other things work and then don't too.
>
> However, I seem to be able to post etc using Firefox 74.0.
>
> Is this perhaps a UA issue?

I have no problems with its default "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64;
x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1" user agent,
but do noticed YouTube.com is very slow and uses a lot of memories in
old SeaMonkey versions especially if I open multiple tabs. :( I also use
uBlock Origin as well.

Do you still have this problem with a brand new SM profile?
--
...!.. COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2! Psalm 91!
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/1/2020 9:20:06 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 5:20:04 PM UTC-4, Ant wrote:
> On 4/1/2020 11:18 AM, qbr576@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 2:56:56 PM UTC-4, EE wrote:
> >=20
> > I've been unable to post replies or comments for around four days using=
 Seamonkey 2.53.1. I also can't like videos. The left sidebar that shows su=
bscriptions and other things comes and goes.  In looking around the youtube=
 website on what are probably less frequently frequented pages other things=
 work and then don't too.
> >=20
> > However, I seem to be able to post etc using Firefox 74.0.
> >=20
> > Is this perhaps a UA issue?
>=20
> I have no problems with its default "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64;=
=20
> x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1" user agent,=
=20
> but do noticed YouTube.com is very slow and uses a lot of memories in=20
> old SeaMonkey versions especially if I open multiple tabs. :( I also use=
=20
> uBlock Origin as well.
>=20
> Do you still have this problem with a brand new SM profile?

Yes. Not quite the same on a day to day basis, but similar problems with a =
brand new SM profile. Although, interestingly, youtube seems to know about =
my subscriptions with a new empty profile. However, the endless not loading=
 circle appears for both notifications and my user info. When I'm at gmail,=
 clicking on my user thing (in the upper right hand corner) does offer me a=
n opportunity to sign out.

According to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent m=
y UA is, Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firef=
ox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1 Lightning/5.8.1
0
qbr576
4/2/2020 10:06:29 AM
I'm getting this as well, if I open developer console and check the network=
 tab every like, removelike, dislike, comment_action, user menu, add to wat=
ch later, subscribe etc returns 401 unauthorized. I don't know why, these p=
roblems started around april first. I just upgraded to 2.53.1 to see if it =
would resolve the issue, but no.

I've also tried signing out (which does work on video upload screen, also u=
ser menu works there) and signing back in, but that didn't help as well.

Comparing the requests witch chrome's, they doesn't seem much different. Go=
ing to dig further.
0
viliam
4/4/2020 10:11:48 AM
viliam.kubis@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm getting this as well, if I open developer console and check the network tab every like, removelike, dislike, comment_action, user menu, add to watch later, subscribe etc returns 401 unauthorized. I don't know why, these problems started around april first. I just upgraded to 2.53.1 to see if it would resolve the issue, but no.
>
> I've also tried signing out (which does work on video upload screen, also user menu works there) and signing back in, but that didn't help as well.
>
> Comparing the requests witch chrome's, they doesn't seem much different. Going to dig further.

Google is rolling out a new design using polymer V2 using Custom Elements and
Shadow Dom. Firefox supports it since around 65 but it is really optimized for
Chrome only. No ETA yet for SeaMonkey. It is on the list.

https://polymer-library.polymer-project.org/2.0/docs/about_20

FRG
0
Frank
4/4/2020 10:20:01 AM
Setting user agent to firefox 60 doesn't help, also firefox 61, 62, and from 63 onwards we get window.customElements is undefined - and the whole page is broken.
0
viliam
4/4/2020 10:23:10 AM
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 12:20:15 PM UTC+2, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> > I'm getting this as well, if I open developer console and check the net=
work tab every like, removelike, dislike, comment_action, user menu, add to=
 watch later, subscribe etc returns 401 unauthorized. I don't know why, the=
se problems started around april first. I just upgraded to 2.53.1 to see if=
 it would resolve the issue, but no.
> >=20
> > I've also tried signing out (which does work on video upload screen, al=
so user menu works there) and signing back in, but that didn't help as well=
..
> >=20
> > Comparing the requests witch chrome's, they doesn't seem much different=
.. Going to dig further.
> >=20
>=20
> Google is rolling out a new design using polymer V2 using Custom Elements=
 and=20
> Shadow Dom. Firefox supports it since around 65 but it is really optimize=
d for=20
> Chrome only. No ETA yet for SeaMonkey. It is on the list.
>=20
> https://polymer-library.polymer-project.org/2.0/docs/about_20
>=20
> FRG

Oh, thank you! :) So youtube in chrome until then only? Or maybe if we forc=
e one of the old designs somehow? It was possible in the past. Let me look =
it up.
0
viliam
4/4/2020 10:25:19 AM
Setting general.useragent.override.youtube.com to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT =
10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.4 Firefox/68.9 PaleMoon/=
28.8.0" temporarily works, althrough youtube displays "we'll stop supportin=
g this browser soon". This gives you back one of the old layouts, almost th=
e same you get with ?disable_polymer=3Dtrue query parameter. But you have t=
o append that every time, I think there's an extension for that, but I didn=
't try.
0
viliam
4/4/2020 10:36:46 AM

viliam.kubis@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 12:20:15 PM UTC+2, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>> I'm getting this as well, if I open developer console and check the network tab every like, removelike, dislike, comment_action, user menu, add to watch later, subscribe etc returns 401 unauthorized. I don't know why, these problems started around april first. I just upgraded to 2.53.1 to see if it would resolve the issue, but no.
>>>
>>> I've also tried signing out (which does work on video upload screen, also user menu works there) and signing back in, but that didn't help as well.
>>>
>>> Comparing the requests witch chrome's, they doesn't seem much different. Going to dig further.
>>>

>> Google is rolling out a new design using polymer V2 using Custom Elements and
>> Shadow Dom. Firefox supports it since around 65 but it is really optimized for
>> Chrome only. No ETA yet for SeaMonkey. It is on the list.
>>
>> https://polymer-library.polymer-project.org/2.0/docs/about_20
>>
>> FRG
>
> Oh, thank you! :) So youtube in chrome until then only? Or maybe if we force one of the old designs somehow? It was possible in the past. Let me look it up.

Firefox should support it too but as usual it is google and so works better
with Chrome. I am using Edge Chromium for such sites. github recently also
regressed this and is on the train to a "better" web for a minority (or the
majority which does not care about browsers and privacy).

FRG
0
Frank
4/4/2020 11:08:10 AM
On 3/22/2020 11:56 AM, EE wrote:
> Starting yesterday evening, I suddenly got only an error message when I
> tried to play YouTube videos.  The message was something about the
> connection not working, and try again later.  I had the same thing with
> Pale Moon.  After blocking an external javascript called "tampering.js",
> the videos were fine again.  Has YouTube done something with its
> interface to try to block certain browsers?  I had no problem with
> Vivaldi, Slimjet, or Safari.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
	SeaMonkey/2.49.5

Today, I went to YouTube and played several versions of Schumann's
"Piano Concerto in A minor".