Enigmail 2.0.9 forgotten pass phrase

Back in October, 2018 I set up Enigmail on SeaMonkey 2.49.4 here.  Today
I received my first encrypted email and found that I have forgotten my
pass phrase.  I am still able to send encrypted and signed emails, but I
cannot read the encrypted replies.

My recollection from when I installed the plug-in and first started
signing emails is that I had to enter the pass phrase and it was saved
at that point in Password Manager.  As the pass phrase is needed to
access the private key required for the signing I am almost certain of this.

Looking in Password Manager I am having no luck locating this entry.  Is
the Enigmail plug-in storing it somewhere else?  Any pointers from
anyone else on this?

My only alternatives are to recall my pass phrase or revoke my current
key and generate a new pair.

Dave
0
David
1/4/2019 4:45:41 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13134 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 1/4/2019 8:45 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> Back in October, 2018 I set up Enigmail on SeaMonkey 2.49.4 here.  Today
> I received my first encrypted email and found that I have forgotten my
> pass phrase.  I am still able to send encrypted and signed emails, but I
> cannot read the encrypted replies.
>
> My recollection from when I installed the plug-in and first started
> signing emails is that I had to enter the pass phrase and it was saved
> at that point in Password Manager.  As the pass phrase is needed to
> access the private key required for the signing I am almost certain of this.
>
> Looking in Password Manager I am having no luck locating this entry.  Is
> the Enigmail plug-in storing it somewhere else?  Any pointers from
> anyone else on this?
>
> My only alternatives are to recall my pass phrase or revoke my current
> key and generate a new pair.
>
> Dave

I believe the passphrase for signing should be the same as for
decrypting.  Thus, if you can still sign, you should be able to decrypt.
 At least, that is the way PGP works.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump still insists that Mexico will eventually pay for
his border wall.  If he really believes that, why does he not pay
for it out of his personal billions of dollars and then personally
collect from Mexico?
0
David
1/4/2019 8:25:41 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 1/4/2019 8:45 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> Back in October, 2018 I set up Enigmail on SeaMonkey 2.49.4 here.  Today
>> I received my first encrypted email and found that I have forgotten my
>> pass phrase.  I am still able to send encrypted and signed emails, but I
>> cannot read the encrypted replies.
>>
>> My recollection from when I installed the plug-in and first started
>> signing emails is that I had to enter the pass phrase and it was saved
>> at that point in Password Manager.  As the pass phrase is needed to
>> access the private key required for the signing I am almost certain of this.
>>
>> Looking in Password Manager I am having no luck locating this entry.  Is
>> the Enigmail plug-in storing it somewhere else?  Any pointers from
>> anyone else on this?
>>
>> My only alternatives are to recall my pass phrase or revoke my current
>> key and generate a new pair.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> I believe the passphrase for signing should be the same as for
> decrypting.  Thus, if you can still sign, you should be able to decrypt.
>  At least, that is the way PGP works.

I believe you are correct.  The problem is that I have forgotten the
pass phrase.  I must have had Password Manager memorize it, as I can
still send encrypted messages.  Unfortunately I am being prompted for
the pass phrase when I need to receive an encrypted message even though
I don't have to enter it to send one.

I don't know how the Password Manager has stored the pass phrase.  If I
did I should be able to copy/paste from the manager into the prompt and
then get it saved properly.

Any idea how it is saved?

Dave
0
David
1/4/2019 8:40:22 PM
David H. Durgee wrote:

> I believe you are correct.  The problem is that I have forgotten the
> pass phrase.  I must have had Password Manager memorize it, as I can
> still send encrypted messages.  Unfortunately I am being prompted for
> the pass phrase when I need to receive an encrypted message even though
> I don't have to enter it to send one.
>
> I don't know how the Password Manager has stored the pass phrase.  If I
> did I should be able to copy/paste from the manager into the prompt and
> then get it saved properly.
>
> Any idea how it is saved?

Assuming PM has saved it -- and that's a big "if" -- you should be able
to read it from the Password Manager
<chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul>.

Of course, there will be dozens or even hundreds of listings, depending
on how much you've used the PM. But you can shorten the list by entering
a keyword in the search window. For example, if I enter "gmail," I get
only ten hits, of which nine are cases where I've used my gmail address
as a username and the tenth one is my gmail mailbox password. Then you
just right-click the listing and choose "copy password" (or you can
click the "Show Passwords" button at lower right and write down what you
see on a Post-It®).

The key here will be to identify some useful keyword that will limit the
number of hits. Otherwise you'll be there all day scrolling through the
hits.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
1/4/2019 9:20:19 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David H. Durgee wrote:
>
>> I believe you are correct.  The problem is that I have forgotten the
>> pass phrase.  I must have had Password Manager memorize it, as I can
>> still send encrypted messages.  Unfortunately I am being prompted for
>> the pass phrase when I need to receive an encrypted message even though
>> I don't have to enter it to send one.
>>
>> I don't know how the Password Manager has stored the pass phrase.  If I
>> did I should be able to copy/paste from the manager into the prompt and
>> then get it saved properly.
>>
>> Any idea how it is saved?
>
> Assuming PM has saved it -- and that's a big "if" -- you should be able
> to read it from the Password Manager
> <chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul>.
>
> Of course, there will be dozens or even hundreds of listings, depending
> on how much you've used the PM. But you can shorten the list by entering
> a keyword in the search window. For example, if I enter "gmail," I get
> only ten hits, of which nine are cases where I've used my gmail address
> as a username and the tenth one is my gmail mailbox password. Then you
> just right-click the listing and choose "copy password" (or you can
> click the "Show Passwords" button at lower right and write down what you
> see on a Post-It®).
>
> The key here will be to identify some useful keyword that will limit the
> number of hits. Otherwise you'll be there all day scrolling through the
> hits.

That was exactly what I was hoping someone could tell me, what the
Enigmail plug-in would have keyed its pass phrase with.  Then when I get
the prompt again I will copy/paste it from PM.  I take it the keyword
cannot be part of the pass phrase itself, but must be part of the
username or site.

The funny thing is now I am starting to see things working without
prompting me for the pass phrase.  Strange.

So perhaps this was a glitch of some sort that caused me to be prompted
instead of automated.

Dave
0
David
1/5/2019 2:23:00 AM
David H. Durgee wrote:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> David H. Durgee wrote:
>>
>>> I believe you are correct.  The problem is that I have forgotten the
>>> pass phrase.  I must have had Password Manager memorize it, as I can
>>> still send encrypted messages.  Unfortunately I am being prompted for
>>> the pass phrase when I need to receive an encrypted message even though
>>> I don't have to enter it to send one.
>>>
>>> I don't know how the Password Manager has stored the pass phrase.  If I
>>> did I should be able to copy/paste from the manager into the prompt and
>>> then get it saved properly.
>>>
>>> Any idea how it is saved?
>>
>> Assuming PM has saved it -- and that's a big "if" -- you should be able
>> to read it from the Password Manager
>> <chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul>.
>>
>> Of course, there will be dozens or even hundreds of listings, depending
>> on how much you've used the PM. But you can shorten the list by entering
>> a keyword in the search window. For example, if I enter "gmail," I get
>> only ten hits, of which nine are cases where I've used my gmail address
>> as a username and the tenth one is my gmail mailbox password. Then you
>> just right-click the listing and choose "copy password" (or you can
>> click the "Show Passwords" button at lower right and write down what you
>> see on a Post-It®).
>>
>> The key here will be to identify some useful keyword that will limit the
>> number of hits. Otherwise you'll be there all day scrolling through the
>> hits.
>>

> That was exactly what I was hoping someone could tell me, what the
> Enigmail plug-in would have keyed its pass phrase with.  Then when I get
> the prompt again I will copy/paste it from PM.  I take it the keyword
> cannot be part of the pass phrase itself, but must be part of the
> username or site.
>
> The funny thing is now I am starting to see things working without
> prompting me for the pass phrase.  Strange.
>
> So perhaps this was a glitch of some sort that caused me to be prompted
> instead of automated.
>
> Dave

A further follow-up on this topic.  My problem appears timing related.
When I attempted to look at enigmail messages this morning I again got
the pop-up requesting me to enter my pass phrase.  This lead me to a
suspicion I confirmed just a little while ago.

I have found that I have no problems sending a signed or encrypted
email, only dealing with incoming ones.  So I sent an enigmail message
to their testing robot address.  After sending the message, which did
NOT prompt me for the pass phrase, I found that I can now access
received enigmail messages.  I also was getting prompted for the pass
phrase when looking at sent enigmail messages which I now can view after
sending the test messages.

So there appears to be something involving timing, which I assume points
to a problem with the plug-in.  I guess I will need to address this on
their forum/newsgroup/whatever.

Dave
0
David