Efficient searching Seamonkey -- reoganizing tool?

Over the last decade bookmarks.html has grown to >1.8MB
[When examined via ^U - it has ~6k lines]

SeaMonkey can search for sub-string(s) in a bookmark.
*BUT* it does not return any information about (sub)heading it is under
making it difficult to locate logically related material.

Has anyone created a tool reorganize existing bookmarks in a
hierarchical structure. I would like to see no more than 20
subheadings|bookmarks under the next higher level?
Other suggestions?

TIA

0
Richard
5/12/2019 2:29:11 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13155 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Richard Owlett wrote:

> Over the last decade bookmarks.html has grown to >1.8MB
> [When examined via ^U - it has ~6k lines]
>
> SeaMonkey can search for sub-string(s) in a bookmark.
> *BUT* it does not return any information about (sub)heading it is under
> making it difficult to locate logically related material.
>
> Has anyone created a tool reorganize existing bookmarks in a
> hierarchical structure. I would like to see no more than 20
> subheadings|bookmarks under the next higher level?
> Other suggestions?

SeaMonkey already has that feature, has had it for years, if you choose
to use it.

In a browser window, Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks or CTRL-B.

In the Bookmarks Manager, File | New Folder creates a folder. Name it
and drag and drop bookmarks into it. You can create subfolders, too, if
you like, but too many nested levels is inconvenient to use.

When bookmarking a new site, don't just do Bookmarks | Bookmark This
Page (CTRL-SHIFT-D), do Bookmarks | File Bookmark (CTRL-D) and choose
the appropriate folder.

As for automating the process, no, it won't do that. And your car won't
pick a restaurant and drive you there either, not yet anyway. ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
5/12/2019 4:36:14 PM
Richard Owlett wrote:
> Over the last decade bookmarks.html has grown to >1.8MB
> [When examined via ^U - it has ~6k lines]
>
> SeaMonkey can search for sub-string(s) in a bookmark.
> *BUT* it does not return any information about (sub)heading it is under making
> it difficult to locate logically related material.
>
> Has anyone created a tool reorganize existing bookmarks in a hierarchical
> structure. I would like to see no more than 20 subheadings|bookmarks under the
> next higher level?
> Other suggestions?
>
> TIA

Use folders to categorize your bookmarks.  That makes them easier to find.

0
EE
5/12/2019 6:16:11 PM
EE:

>Use folders to categorize your bookmarks.  That makes them easier to find.

The point is finding those folders when searching.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
5/12/2019 6:26:23 PM
On 05/12/2019 01:26 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> EE:
>
>> Use folders to categorize your bookmarks.  That makes them easier to find.
>
> The point is finding those folders when searching.
>
> Hartmut

( *ROFL* ) ** [Avogadro's number)**(6.23*10**23)    ;/ !

I agree with everyone so far.
I'm looking for a solution [short of a time machine] to properly
organize my bookmarks.

I have an absolute minimum of ~200 folders.
I do not believe my current nesting level exceeds ~4.
I have an unknown number of links at the *SAME* level as my top level
folders :<

Caveat Lector
Think I just discovered part of the problem,
Some editors may be trying to be *TOOOOO* helpful :<

When searching for significant HTML sub-strings they get lost.
A significant sub-set of significant sub-strings include
<H1
<H2
<H3
<DT
<DL
among unspecified/unknown others.

I am now suspecting a flaw dating back to "GOOD OLD DAYS" of Netscape.
YES I date from that era ;/

[ 026's forever ;]

Thank you

0
Richard
5/12/2019 7:19:17 PM
Richard Owlett:

>I'm looking for a solution [short of a time machine] to properly
>organize my bookmarks.

Well, you have one solution for this directly before your nose. *fg*

Export your bookmarks as HTML, make a backup, import them in the
composer of SM, manipulate them e.g. by moving with the mouse.

There is one problem with importing the new list. You did make a backup
of your bookmarks.html, hm?

Before importing the newly arranged bookmarks I would recommend deleting
all of them in your SM. Then, after importing, you may have to move some
contents.

I had that pleasure lately when moving from 2.56a1 to 2.53. Not sure if
the behaviour is a bug.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut