Driver for Video

(and I got the spelling right this time!!)

On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv, but
I needed a new codec so went to https://www.windows7codecs.com/ and
clicked on the Download button and got this message

"https://www.windows7codecs.com/G:\Temp\windows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.exe.part
could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."

and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had been
quarantined ....

"Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine
because it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."

My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB
(over four attempts)!

Should I be worried??

If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone have
a suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB of)
video files??

TIA

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
12/26/2019 2:19:01 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13315 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Daniel wrote:
> (and I got the spelling right this time!!)
>
> On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv, but
> I needed a new codec so went to https://www.cows7codecs.com/ and
> clicked on the Download button and got this message
>
> "https://www.cows-cows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.XXX.part
> could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."
>
> and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had been
> quarantined ....
>
> "Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine
> because it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."
>
> My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB
> (over four attempts)!
>
> Should I be worried??
>
> If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone have
> a suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB of)
> video files??
>
> TIA

Dump what ever you are trying to use for videos and get either or both
MPC and VLC.
MPC is small and fast. VLC can do almost anything with vids.
Also, it's never a good idea to post a link to malware.
Expecially not to an executable.

0
Paul
12/26/2019 3:17:46 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 26/12/19 14:17:
> Daniel wrote:
>> (and I got the spelling right this time!!)
>>
>> On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv, but
>> I needed a new codec so went to https://www.cows7codecs.com/ and
>> clicked on the Download button and got this message
>>
>> "https://www.cows-cows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.XXX.part
>> could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."
>>
>> and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had been
>> quarantined ....
>>
>> "Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine
>> because it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."
>>
>> My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB
>> (over four attempts)!
>>
>> Should I be worried??
>>
>> If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone have
>> a suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB of)
>> video files??
>>
>> TIA
>
> Dump what ever you are trying to use for videos and get either or both
> MPC and VLC.
> MPC is small and fast. VLC can do almost anything with vids.

When I posted, I was on Win7, but I'm on Linux now, so I'll give that a
try later.

> Also, it's never a good idea to post a link to malware.
> Expecially not to an executable.

Sorry, Paul. What 'link to malware'??

The first link I posted was to where I was supposed to get the codec
from and the second link was part of the error message I got!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
12/26/2019 8:01:40 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote on 12/26/2019 04:17 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> (and I got the spelling right this time!!)
>>
>> On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv, but
>> I needed a new codec so went to https://www.cows7codecs.com/ and
>> clicked on the Download button and got this message
>>
>> "https://www.cows-cows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.XXX.part
>> could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."
>>
>> and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had been
>> quarantined ....
>>
>> "Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine
>> because it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."
>>
>> My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB
>> (over four attempts)!
>>
>> Should I be worried??
>>
>> If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone have
>> a suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB of)
>> video files??
>>
>> TIA
>
> Dump what ever you are trying to use for videos and get either or both MPC and VLC.
> MPC is small and fast. VLC can do almost anything with vids.
> Also, it's never a good idea to post a link to malware.
> Expecially not to an executable.

Daniel, do you know of a /codec.pack/ for *fedora* ?

--
Gérard Vinkesteijn Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190526051124
0
GerardJan
12/26/2019 9:09:52 AM

Daniel wrote:
> (and I got the spelling right this time!!)
>
> On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv, but I
> needed a new codec so went to https://www.windows7codecs.com/ and clicked on
> the Download button and got this message
>
> "https://www.windows7codecs.com/G:\Temp\windows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.exe.part
> could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."
>
> and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had been
> quarantined ....
>
> "Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine because
> it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."
>
> My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB (over four
> attempts)!
>
> Should I be worried??
>
> If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone have a
> suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB of) video files??
>
> TIA

It was probably a false positive. The site is legit.

I am using K-Lite code pack Full for ages. mpc-hc works a little smoother for
me in most cases. As a backup vlc for the others. Nothing else needed.

https://www.codecguide.com/klcp_beta.htm

FRG
0
Frank
12/26/2019 2:15:01 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/12/19 01:15:

> Daniel wrote:
>> (and I got the spelling right this time!!)
>>
>> On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv,
>> but I needed a new codec so went to https://www.windows7codecs.com/
>> and clicked on the Download button and got this message
>>
>> "https://www.windows7codecs.com/G:\Temp\windows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.exe.part
>> could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."
>>
>> and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had
>> been quarantined ....
>>
>> "Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine
>> because it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."
>>
>> My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB
>> (over four attempts)!
>>
>> Should I be worried??
>>
>> If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone
>> have a suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB
>> of) video files??
>>
>> TIA
>>

> It was probably a false positive. The site is legit.
>
> I am using K-Lite code pack Full for ages. mpc-hc works a little
> smoother for me in most cases. As a backup vlc for the others. Nothing
> else needed.
>
> https://www.codecguide.com/klcp_beta.htm
>
> FRG

Thanks for your reply, Frank-Rainer

I'll try again .... and then probably try VLC!
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
12/27/2019 8:35:01 AM
Daniel wrote on 26/12/19 13:19:
> (and I got the spelling right this time!!)
>
> On my Win7 system I was trying to watch some videos of format *.mkv, but
> I needed a new codec so went to https://www.windows7codecs.com/ and
> clicked on the Download button and got this message
>
> "https://www.windows7codecs.com/G:\Temp\windows.7.codec.pack.v4.2.5.setup.exe.part
> could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred."
>
> and my AVG anti-virus started up and opened a screen saying it had been
> quarantined ....
>
> "Threat secured.  We have moved qWtOEP1H.exe.part to your Quarantine
> because it was infected with Win32:Malware-gen."
>
> My SM Download Manager shows that I've downloaded 10.6 MB of 44.3MB
> (over four attempts)!
>
> Should I be worried??
>
> If I should be thankful that AVG saved me from myself, does anyone have
> a suggestion as to how/what I can do so I can watch these (15GB of)
> video files??
>
> TIA

Thanks, Guys!

I've installed vlc in my Windows 7 system and it works, thanks.

I've just used the Mageia Control Centre to download its vlc. Haven't
tried it yet, but expect it to work, also!!

;-)