Does SeaMonkey keep its browsing history forever until I tell it to clear it?

Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
-- 
:) New Yr.
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
1/2/2019 9:32:19 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13063 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

21 Replies
45 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 23

On 1/2/2019 1:32 AM, Ant wrote:
> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
> 

It keeps history until the places.sqlite database reaches its maximum
size.  I do not remember what that size is, but I do know that the
database also contains your bookmarks.  Once the maximum size is
reached, the oldest history entries are deleted.

This was one Mozilla developer's idea of creating a benefit for users,
despite the fact that many users objected before it was implemented.  A
bug report requested the old capability to expire a history entry after
some user-set number of days, but that was rejected.  See Bug #660646 at
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=660646>.

The .xpi extension "Expire history by days" restores the old capability,
but that was for pre-Webextension versions of Firefox.  I have a version
of that extension that was converted for use with SeaMonkey.  It still
works for SeaMonkey 2.49.4.  If you want a copy, reply in this newsgroup
thread.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump still insists that Mexico will eventually pay for
his border wall.  If he really believes that, why does he not pay
for it out of his personal billions of dollars and then personally
collect from Mexico?
0
David
1/2/2019 4:19:14 PM
On 02/01/2019 10:32, Ant wrote:

> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(

places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages ?
0
Mason83
1/3/2019 11:31:19 PM
On 1/2/2019 10:32 AM, Ant wrote:
> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(


<https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190104_901_history.png>

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
1/4/2019 7:46:24 AM
On 1/3/2019 3:31 PM, Mason83 wrote:
> On 02/01/2019 10:32, Ant wrote:
> 
>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
> 
> places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages ?

Hmm, my SM's about:config shows different user set values like 90842.
-- 
:) New Yr.
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
1/4/2019 5:52:01 PM
On 1/3/2019 11:46 PM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> On 1/2/2019 10:32 AM, Ant wrote:
>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
> 
> 
> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190104_901_history.png> 

I was talking about browsing history, not form and search history. I 
have that feature option disabled.
-- 
:) New Yr.
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
1/4/2019 5:53:18 PM
Ant wrote:
> On 1/3/2019 3:31 PM, Mason83 wrote:
>> On 02/01/2019 10:32, Ant wrote:
>>
>>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
>>
>> places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages ?
> 
> Hmm, my SM's about:config shows different user set values like 90842.

What's different from what? Mine has 126118, and it's bold as if I 
changed the default, but I can't recall ever setting it.

I suppose if you set it to zero that would clear it, eh?

-- 
War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
--
Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
1/4/2019 6:11:17 PM
On 1/4/2019 9:53 AM, Ant wrote:
> On 1/3/2019 11:46 PM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>> On 1/2/2019 10:32 AM, Ant wrote:
>>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
>>
>>
>> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190104_901_history.png> 
> 
> I was talking about browsing history, not form and search history. I 
> have that feature option disabled.
> 
Do you not want a copy of "Expire history by days"?

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump still insists that Mexico will eventually pay for
his border wall.  If he really believes that, why does he not pay
for it out of his personal billions of dollars and then personally
collect from Mexico?
0
David
1/4/2019 8:26:45 PM
Ant wrote:
> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
Go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Cache

Under Set Cache Options will be displayed the amount of space SeaMonkey 
will use to store your history. It will overwrite that data when the 
limit is reached.


To control what and when Browsing History is cleared goto:

Go to Privacy and Security
Select Private Data
Check Always Clear My Private Data when I close SeaMonkey (If you wish)

Then select the data you wish to clear when you close SeaMonkey.



-- 
Stan Gondek
Multi Path Communications
https://www.m-p-c.com
0
stango
1/5/2019 12:21:11 AM
stango wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
> Go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Cache
>
> Under Set Cache Options will be displayed the amount of space SeaMonkey
> will use to store your history. It will overwrite that data when the
> limit is reached.
>
>
> To control what and when Browsing History is cleared goto:
>
> Go to Privacy and Security
> Select Private Data
> Check Always Clear My Private Data when I close SeaMonkey (If you wish)
>
> Then select the data you wish to clear when you close SeaMonkey.
>
>
>
If you never clear it it will remain in cache.



-- 
Stan Gondek
Multi Path Communications
https://www.m-p-c.com
0
stango
1/5/2019 1:43:11 AM
On 1/4/2019 12:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 1/4/2019 9:53 AM, Ant wrote:
>> On 1/3/2019 11:46 PM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>>> On 1/2/2019 10:32 AM, Ant wrote:
>>>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
>>>
>>>
>>> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190104_901_history.png>
>>
>> I was talking about browsing history, not form and search history. I
>> have that feature option disabled.
>>
> Do you not want a copy of "Expire history by days"?

Yes for browsing history.
-- 
"An ant hole may collapse an embankment." --Japanese
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
1/5/2019 11:10:04 AM
On 1/5/2019 3:10 AM, Ant wrote:
> On 1/4/2019 12:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 1/4/2019 9:53 AM, Ant wrote:
>>> On 1/3/2019 11:46 PM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>>>> On 1/2/2019 10:32 AM, Ant wrote:
>>>>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190104_901_history.png>
>>>
>>> I was talking about browsing history, not form and search history. I
>>> have that feature option disabled.
>>>
>> Do you not want a copy of "Expire history by days"?
> 
> Yes for browsing history.
> 

It is at
<http://www.rossde.com/test/expire_history_by_days-1.2.0-sm.xpi>.  Note
that this will NOT work in a Webextensions environment.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump still insists that Mexico will eventually pay for
his border wall.  If he really believes that, why does he not pay
for it out of his personal billions of dollars and then personally
collect from Mexico?
0
David
1/5/2019 3:58:58 PM
On 1/5/2019 7:58 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Do you not want a copy of "Expire history by days"?
>>
>> Yes for browsing history.
> 
> It is at
> <http://www.rossde.com/test/expire_history_by_days-1.2.0-sm.xpi>.  Note
> that this will NOT work in a Webextensions environment.

Thanks. I used to use the one from PrefBar, but it didn't work anymore. :(
-- 
"People, chained by monotony, afraid to think, clinging to 
certainties... they live like ants." --Bela Lugosi
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
1/5/2019 6:01:26 PM
On 04.01.2019 18:53, Ant wrote:
> I was talking about browsing history,



Argh,

sory!

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
1/10/2019 7:16:09 PM
On 05.01.2019 16:58, David E. Ross wrote:
> It is at
> <http://www.rossde.com/test/expire_history_by_days-1.2.0-sm.xpi>.  Note
> that this will NOT work in a Webextensions environment.
> 



Hi,

in the "Classic Add-ons Archive (2004-2018)"(for more information see
<https://unofficialseamonkeynews.wordpress.com/?s=ca-archive>)
you find a version 1.3.1, which installs fine after conversion, but the 
day number input line is missing in the options, seems not to work.

I also Installed a converted 1.2.1 from that source for my unzipped 
"installer of  unofficial (by wg9s) en-US SeaMonkey 2.53 (Windows NT 
6.1; WOW64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Build 20190108130001 
(Default Classic Theme, German Language Pack INACTIVE) on German WIN7 
64bit". Shows days input line, but seems to do nothing (I selected 30 
days, but older entries remained, also after a relaunch.

Same disappointing result with extension from rossde.com

Any thoughts?

Ant, what are your results?

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
1/10/2019 7:56:50 PM
On 1/10/2019 11:56 AM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> On 05.01.2019 16:58, David E. Ross wrote:
>> It is at
>> <http://www.rossde.com/test/expire_history_by_days-1.2.0-sm.xpi>.  Note
>> that this will NOT work in a Webextensions environment.
>>
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> in the "Classic Add-ons Archive (2004-2018)"(for more information see
> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.wordpress.com/?s=ca-archive>)
> you find a version 1.3.1, which installs fine after conversion, but the 
> day number input line is missing in the options, seems not to work.
> 
> I also Installed a converted 1.2.1 from that source for my unzipped 
> "installer of  unofficial (by wg9s) en-US SeaMonkey 2.53 (Windows NT 
> 6.1; WOW64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Build 20190108130001 
> (Default Classic Theme, German Language Pack INACTIVE) on German WIN7 
> 64bit". Shows days input line, but seems to do nothing (I selected 30 
> days, but older entries remained, also after a relaunch.
> 
> Same disappointing result with extension from rossde.com
> 
> Any thoughts?
> 
> Ant, what are your results?
> 
> CU
> 
> Rainer
> 
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
	SeaMonkey/2.49.4

Do you mean that the "Expire visits older than these days" option does
not work for you with my Expire history by days [converted] 1.2.0?  I
have this installed in two profiles.  In one profile, I have the value
30; in the other, I have 45.  In each, history entries for Web pages I
have not visited in the specified number of days no longer appear.

Note that my version of the converted extension is 1.2.0.  I believe
that conversion of later versions do indeed not work.

-- 
David E. Ross

Trump again proves he is a major source of fake news.  He wants
to cut off disaster funds to repair the damage caused by the
Woolsey Fire in southern California because he claims the state
fails to manage its forests properly.  The Woolsey Fire was NOT
a forest fire.  Starting in an industrial tract, it did not burn
through any forests.

See <http://www.rossde.com/fire.html>.
0
David
1/10/2019 9:07:30 PM
On 10.01.2019 22:07, David E. Ross wrote:
> Do you mean that the "Expire visits older than these days" option does
> not work for you with my Expire history by days [converted] 1.2.0?


Hi David,

so it is, also with your version. I created my test profile in November 
2018, and none of the entries "Last visited " fom November 2018 has gone 
with my "Expire" entry "30 days".

I will try same profile with 2.49, may be something in History handling 
changed after SM 2.19

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
1/11/2019 5:30:44 AM
On 1/11/2019 6:30 AM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> I will try same profile with 2.49


Also does not work:
<https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190111_901_expirehistory_screenshot.png>

Entries for pages last visited November 2018 stay, even after some 
Browsing on different sites and 2 relaunches of SM.

In between I lost all History entries, but that is something different, 
has nothing to do with the Add-On. I already observedthis loss several 
times when I switched between 2.49 and 2.53 with the same profile.

How fast does the add-on delete old entries when you reduce "Days undtil 
...." entry?

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
1/11/2019 6:29:39 AM
The functionality was removed from Gecko. Unless the add-on does query the 
database directly it won't work. There is a bug open about this in SeaMonkey 
but the guy who wanted to re-add this dropped out submitting a few non-working 
early patches. If the add-on works correctly it would wonder me.

FRG

Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> On 1/11/2019 6:30 AM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>> I will try same profile with 2.49
> 
> 
> Also does not work:
> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190111_901_expirehistory_screenshot.png> 
> 
> 
> Entries for pages last visited November 2018 stay, even after some Browsing on 
> different sites and 2 relaunches of SM.
> 
> In between I lost all History entries, but that is something different, has 
> nothing to do with the Add-On. I already observedthis loss several times when 
> I switched between 2.49 and 2.53 with the same profile.
> 
> How fast does the add-on delete old entries when you reduce "Days undtil ..." 
> entry?
> 
> CU
> 
> Rainer
0
Frank
1/11/2019 6:56:54 AM
On 1/10/2019 10:56 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> The functionality was removed from Gecko. Unless the add-on does query the 
> database directly it won't work. There is a bug open about this in SeaMonkey 
> but the guy who wanted to re-add this dropped out submitting a few non-working 
> early patches. If the add-on works correctly it would wonder me.
> 
> FRG
> 
> Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>> On 1/11/2019 6:30 AM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
>>> I will try same profile with 2.49
>>
>>
>> Also does not work:
>> <https://unofficialseamonkeynews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/190111_901_expirehistory_screenshot.png> 
>>
>>
>> Entries for pages last visited November 2018 stay, even after some Browsing on 
>> different sites and 2 relaunches of SM.
>>
>> In between I lost all History entries, but that is something different, has 
>> nothing to do with the Add-On. I already observedthis loss several times when 
>> I switched between 2.49 and 2.53 with the same profile.
>>
>> How fast does the add-on delete old entries when you reduce "Days undtil ..." 
>> entry?
>>
>> CU
>>
>> Rainer

I installed Expire history by days [converted] 1.2.0 on 9 Feb 2016 in
two of my SeaMonkey 2.40 profiles.  I then reinstalled it on 6 Oct 2018
when I discovered that the converted 1.2.1 did not work.

In one profile, the number of days set is 30.  In that profile, I have
no history entries older than 30 days.  This is not because I reached
the 10 MB limit on the size of places.sqlite.  Using SpeedyFor 2.0.23, I
vacuumed all sqlite files in that profile, after which places.sqlite
required only 3.1 MB.

In the other profile, the number of days set is 45.  In that profile,
for some strange reason, the oldest history entry is 48 days old.  After
running SpeedyFox, places.sqlite in that profile required only 1.0 MB.

Conclusion:  Expire history by days [converted] 1.2.0 seems to work in a
profile for a setting of 30 days but leaves extra history entries for a
setting of 45 days.  I will test further.

-- 
David E. Ross

Trump again proves he is a major source of fake news.  He wants
to cut off disaster funds to repair the damage caused by the
Woolsey Fire in southern California because he claims the state
fails to manage its forests properly.  The Woolsey Fire was NOT
a forest fire.  Starting in an industrial tract, it did not burn
through any forests.

See <http://www.rossde.com/fire.html>.
0
David
1/11/2019 8:00:36 PM
On 11.01.2019 21:00, David E. Ross wrote:
> I will test further


That would be great!


CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
1/12/2019 5:57:31 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 1/3/2019 3:31 PM, Mason83 wrote:
>>> On 02/01/2019 10:32, Ant wrote:
>>>
>>>> Or is there a limit? I cannot seem to find the answer online. :(
>>>
>>> places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages ?
>>
>> Hmm, my SM's about:config shows different user set values like 90842.
> 
> What's different from what? Mine has 126118, and it's bold as if I 
> changed the default, but I can't recall ever setting it.
> 
> I suppose if you set it to zero that would clear it, eh?
> 
If a setting is not a default, it will be in bold font, whether you set 
it or the application itself set it.

0
EE
1/15/2019 5:45:09 PM
Reply: