Difference in outcome - Blaah.com vs Blaah.com/ ?

What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
type them into the Location bar?

Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?

Just curious.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
5/2/2009 11:01:44 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13173 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

13 Replies
403 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

DoctorBill wrote:
> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
> type them into the Location bar?
> 
> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
> 
> Just curious.
> 
> DoctorBill

DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
the main site.

How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a 
building/street address (1596 First St), compared to putting it in the 
mail box of a company on a floor of the building (10th Fl, 1596 First St).

Something like that.

Daniel
0
Daniel
5/3/2009 12:07:12 AM
On 05/02/09 17:07, Daniel wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>> type them into the Location bar?
>> 
>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>> 
>> Just curious.
>> 
>> DoctorBill
> 
> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
> the main site.

Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that SeaMonkey requests just
what was asked for, and the *server* decides what to send by default.

It's actually up to the server to decide the difference.

> 
> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a 
> building/street address (1596 First St), compared to putting it in the 
> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (10th Fl, 1596 First St).
> 
> Something like that.
> 
> Daniel
0
Mark
5/3/2009 12:24:59 AM
Daniel wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>> type them into the Location bar?
>>
>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> DoctorBill
> 
> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
> the main site.
> 
> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a 
> building/street address (1596 First St), compared to putting it in the 
> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (10th Fl, 1596 First St).
> 
> Something like that.
> 
> Daniel

So if I wanted to go to my online Bank for instance, it would always be 
better to type in mybank.com/ than to put in mybank.com w/o the 
forwardslash - i.e. I would get the site to show up faster maybe?

Is it worth anything at all to remember to put the forwardslash in the 
location bar ?

Some links (say on products like cobyusa.com) show without the slash, 
while others show a link with it.

I always wondered if I'd get different results w/o versus with.
Yes....I could always "experiment".....but I always seem to be in a hurry.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
5/3/2009 12:39:44 AM
Daniel replied On 5/2/2009 7:07 PM

> DoctorBill wrote:
>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>> type them into the Location bar?
>>
>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> DoctorBill
> 
> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
> the main site.
> 
> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a 
> building/street address (1596 First St), compared to putting it in the 
> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (10th Fl, 1596 First St).
> 
> Something like that.
> 
> Daniel

Daniel,

This is a real good explanation of the question about the different 
formats for the URL.

In either case SeaMonkey and other web browsers will look for the 
default home page file which can have the following extensions: index 
..htm, .html, .shtml.

In the case without the "/" and on an Apache web server if the 
configuration file contains an instruction to not index the directory, 
if the index.html file is not found the server will return either a 
Forbidden error, or Page Not Found.

In the case with the "/" the web browser will drill down the list of 
directories until it finds an index file, if none is found return a Page 
Not Found error.

How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a
building/street address (Mr John Adams,1596 First St), compared to 
putting it in the
mail box of a company on a floor of the building (Mr John Adams,10th Fl, 
Suite 101, 1596 First St).

Michael

0
Michael
5/3/2009 1:50:04 AM
On 05/02/09 18:50, Michael Gordon wrote:
> Daniel replied On 5/2/2009 7:07 PM
> 
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>>> type them into the Location bar?
>>>
>>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>>
>>> Just curious.
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>> 
>> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
>> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
>> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
>> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
>> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
>> the main site.
>> 
>> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a 
>> building/street address (1596 First St), compared to putting it in the 
>> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (10th Fl, 1596 First St).
>> 
>> Something like that.
>> 
>> Daniel
> 
> Daniel,
> 
> This is a real good explanation of the question about the different 
> formats for the URL.
> 
> In either case SeaMonkey and other web browsers will look for the 
> default home page file which can have the following extensions: index 
> .htm, .html, .shtml.

Are you sure SeaMonkey will decide that? I'm pretty sure that decision
is made by the web server.

> 
> In the case without the "/" and on an Apache web server if the 
> configuration file contains an instruction to not index the directory, 
> if the index.html file is not found the server will return either a 
> Forbidden error, or Page Not Found.
> 
> In the case with the "/" the web browser will drill down the list of 
> directories until it finds an index file, if none is found return a Page 
> Not Found error.

Oh boy...

> 
> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a
> building/street address (Mr John Adams,1596 First St), compared to 
> putting it in the
> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (Mr John Adams,10th Fl, 
> Suite 101, 1596 First St).
> 
> Michael
> 
0
Mark
5/3/2009 4:23:23 AM
In <news:urednVQCT5LMZWHUnZ2dnUVZ_q-dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
Michael Gordon <mgordon2@cableone.net> wrote:

> This is a real good explanation of the question about the different 
> formats for the URL.
> 
> In either case SeaMonkey and other web browsers will look for the 
> default home page file which can have the following extensions: index 
> .htm, .html, .shtml.

The browser won't do that.  By default, servers are configured to look
for index.htm, index.html, &c., but if a server is configured not to
look for them, the browser won't do that on its own.

E.g., <http://temp.remarqs.net/> (or <http://temp.remarqs.net>) should
give a 403 error even though <http://temp.remarqs.net/index.htm>
exists;  the browser shouldn't go looking for the index.htm file.

> In the case without the "/" and on an Apache web server if the 
> configuration file contains an instruction to not index the
> directory, if the index.html file is not found the server will return
> either a Forbidden error, or Page Not Found.

The server should give the 403 error whether or not there was a
trailing / in the request.

> In the case with the "/" the web browser will drill down the list of 
> directories until it finds an index file, if none is found return a
> Page Not Found error.

If indexing is turned off, how could the browser get the list of
subdirectories to drill though?  And if indexing is turned on, the
browser will just display the directory's index.

-- 
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

0
UTF
5/3/2009 6:25:17 AM
Sat, 02 May 2009 15:01:44 -0800, /DoctorBill/:

> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
> type them into the Location bar?
> 
> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?

There's no difference.  In both cases the browser will request the 
root / path.

-- 
Stanimir
0
Stanimir
5/3/2009 1:00:21 PM
Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 05/02/09 17:07, Daniel wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>>> type them into the Location bar?
>>>
>>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>>
>>> Just curious.
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
>> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
>> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
>> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
>> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
>> the main site.
> 
> Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that SeaMonkey requests just
> what was asked for, and the *server* decides what to send by default.
> 
> It's actually up to the server to decide the difference.
> 

No, I am not sure, it's just that when I set up my website, that's the 
file my ISP told me to set up.

I suppose others might do it differently.

Daniel
0
Daniel
5/4/2009 12:25:43 AM
On 05/03/09 17:25, Daniel wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>> On 05/02/09 17:07, Daniel wrote:
>>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>>>> type them into the Location bar?
>>>>
>>>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>>>
>>>> Just curious.
>>>>
>>>> DoctorBill
>>> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
>>> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
>>> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
>>> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
>>> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
>>> the main site.
>> 
>> Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that SeaMonkey requests just
>> what was asked for, and the *server* decides what to send by default.
>> 
>> It's actually up to the server to decide the difference.
>> 
> 
> No, I am not sure, it's just that when I set up my website, that's the 
> file my ISP told me to set up.
> 
> I suppose others might do it differently.
> 
> Daniel

They told you to use that file name because it is the file the *server*
is going to send by default. It has nothing to do with SeaMonkey.
0
Mark
5/4/2009 12:50:18 AM
On 5/3/2009 5:50 PM, Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 05/03/09 17:25, Daniel wrote:
>> Mark Hansen wrote:
>>> On 05/02/09 17:07, Daniel wrote:
>>>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>>>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>>>>> type them into the Location bar?
>>>>>
>>>>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>>>>
>>>>> Just curious.
>>>>>
>>>>> DoctorBill
>>>> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
>>>> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
>>>> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
>>>> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
>>>> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
>>>> the main site.
>>> Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that SeaMonkey requests just
>>> what was asked for, and the *server* decides what to send by default.
>>>
>>> It's actually up to the server to decide the difference.
>>>
>> No, I am not sure, it's just that when I set up my website, that's the 
>> file my ISP told me to set up.
>>
>> I suppose others might do it differently.
>>
>> Daniel
> 
> They told you to use that file name because it is the file the *server*
> is going to send by default. It has nothing to do with SeaMonkey.

Some servers will send index.html.  Others send home.html.  If you have
both, different servers might choose differently between them.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Go to Mozdev at <http://www.mozdev.org/> for quick access to
extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much
more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.
0
David
5/4/2009 3:28:58 PM
On 5/2/2009 6:50 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
> Daniel replied On 5/2/2009 7:07 PM
> 
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
>>> type them into the Location bar?
>>>
>>> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
>>>
>>> Just curious.
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>> DoctorBill, part of your answer may be that when you put whatever.com 
>> into your location bar, SeaMonkey actually goes looking for a file 
>> called index.html (which is the file, as I understand it, that sets out 
>> the layout of the page) at whatever.com, whereas if you entered 
>> whatever.com/, it would go looking for an index.html at a sub-level of 
>> the main site.
>>
>> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a 
>> building/street address (1596 First St), compared to putting it in the 
>> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (10th Fl, 1596 First St).
>>
>> Something like that.
>>
>> Daniel
> 
> Daniel,
> 
> This is a real good explanation of the question about the different 
> formats for the URL.
> 
> In either case SeaMonkey and other web browsers will look for the 
> default home page file which can have the following extensions: index 
> .htm, .html, .shtml.
> 
> In the case without the "/" and on an Apache web server if the 
> configuration file contains an instruction to not index the directory, 
> if the index.html file is not found the server will return either a 
> Forbidden error, or Page Not Found.
> 
> In the case with the "/" the web browser will drill down the list of 
> directories until it finds an index file, if none is found return a Page 
> Not Found error.
> 
> How about comparing it to putting a letter in the mail box of a
> building/street address (Mr John Adams,1596 First St), compared to 
> putting it in the
> mail box of a company on a floor of the building (Mr John Adams,10th Fl, 
> Suite 101, 1596 First St).
> 
> Michael
> 

I just tried a test on my own Web site.  I deleted the index.html in the
top-level directory.  I have 17 subdirectories, each with its own
index.html.  I selected the URI to my Web site:
<http://www.rossde.com/>.  I got a list of the contents of my top-level
directory.  Although not index.html, the list is titled "Index" (as
described by Q).  The server is a version of Apache.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Go to Mozdev at <http://www.mozdev.org/> for quick access to
extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much
more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.
0
David
5/4/2009 3:52:30 PM
On 5/2/2009 4:01 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> What is the difference between whatever.com vs whatever.com/ when you 
> type them into the Location bar?
> 
> Is one faster than the other or difference in where it goes...?
> 
> Just curious.
> 
> DoctorBill

Read RFC 3986 at <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3986.txt>.  It
indicates that, while the Web domain -- www.rossde.com in my case --
ends with a virgule (slash, /), the virgule is actually part of the path
(the directory and file name).

The path is required but might be empty (blank).  Thus it is appropriate
to use a virgule at the end of the domain when index.html, home.html,
etc is implied; this use signals an empty path.  On the other hand, the
RFC seems also to indicate that, with an empty path, the vigule may be
omitted.

Any Web server that is not compliant with RFC 3986 is defective.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Go to Mozdev at <http://www.mozdev.org/> for quick access to
extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much
more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.
0
David
5/4/2009 3:53:07 PM
DoctorBill wrote:

>=20
> So if I wanted to go to my online Bank for instance, it would always =
be=20
> better to type in mybank.com/ than to put in mybank.com w/o the=20
> forwardslash - i.e. I would get the site to show up faster maybe?

No.  Whether you give "http://mybank.com" or "http://mybank.com/" (or
"mybank.com" vs. "mybank.com/"), the browser sends the _exact_ same
request to the server.

(There can be a difference between "http://mybank.com/something" and
"http://mybank.com/something/".)

Daniel
--=20
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft =
Exchange.) [F]


0
Barclay
5/20/2009 8:20:14 PM
Reply: