Combining Bookmarks folders

I'm trying to combine two Bookmarks folders to ensure I have a single
listing of all the websites whos content I have been interested in over
the years.

I've added the second bookmarks file to the first bookmarks file which
has given me a listing with lots of doubled up sub-directories, e.g. two
"General" directories, two "Financial" directories, two "Mozilla"
directories, etc., etc..

If I, now, export the file as a HTML file (Tools->Export HTML...) would
I then be able to edit that file in LibreOffice, or some such, delete
all the twins, combine what's left and the import it back into SeaMonkey
(Tools->Import HTML ..).

If not, could someone offer another suggestion?

Thanks.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
3/12/2018 1:03:15 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12993 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 3/12/2018 at 9:03 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
> I'm trying to combine two Bookmarks folders to ensure I have a single
> listing of all the websites whos content I have been interested in over
> the years.
>
> I've added the second bookmarks file to the first bookmarks file which
> has given me a listing with lots of doubled up sub-directories, e.g. two
> "General" directories, two "Financial" directories, two "Mozilla"
> directories, etc., etc..
>
> If I, now, export the file as a HTML file (Tools->Export HTML...) would
> I then be able to edit that file in LibreOffice, or some such, delete
> all the twins, combine what's left and the import it back into SeaMonkey
> (Tools->Import HTML ..).
>
> If not, could someone offer another suggestion?
>
> Thanks.

Why not just edit it in SeaMonkey's bookmarks manager?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
3/12/2018 2:29:12 PM
Daniel wrote:
> I'm trying to combine two Bookmarks folders to ensure I have a single
> listing of all the websites whos content I have been interested in over
> the years.
>
> I've added the second bookmarks file to the first bookmarks file which
> has given me a listing with lots of doubled up sub-directories, e.g. two
> "General" directories, two "Financial" directories, two "Mozilla"
> directories, etc., etc..
>
> If I, now, export the file as a HTML file (Tools->Export HTML...) would
> I then be able to edit that file in LibreOffice, or some such, delete
> all the twins, combine what's left and the import it back into SeaMonkey
> (Tools->Import HTML ..).
>
> If not, could someone offer another suggestion?
>
> Thanks.

Why not remove the duplicates with the Bookmark Manager?

0
EE
3/12/2018 3:59:57 PM
Ed Mullen wrote on 13/03/18 01:29:
> On 3/12/2018 at 9:03 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
>> I'm trying to combine two Bookmarks folders to ensure I have a single
>> listing of all the websites whos content I have been interested in
>> over the years.
>>
>> I've added the second bookmarks file to the first bookmarks file which
>> has given me a listing with lots of doubled up sub-directories, e.g.
>> two "General" directories, two "Financial" directories, two "Mozilla"
>> directories, etc., etc..
>>
>> If I, now, export the file as a HTML file (Tools->Export HTML...)
>> would I then be able to edit that file in LibreOffice, or some such,
>> delete all the twins, combine what's left and the import it back into
>> SeaMonkey (Tools->Import HTML ..).
>>
>> If not, could someone offer another suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Why not just edit it in SeaMonkey's bookmarks manager?

I started doing that, Ed, but there are lots and lots of sub-folders
with lots of locations/websites in each. Probable 300 in original folder
and similar in the other!

Don't I remember some add-on that would go through the Bookmarks folder
and indicate any double-ups?? Maybe that's what EE is about to tell me!!
Nope, so still looking!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
3/13/2018 6:25:38 AM
On 3/13/2018 at 2:25 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
> Ed Mullen wrote on 13/03/18 01:29:
>> On 3/12/2018 at 9:03 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
>>> I'm trying to combine two Bookmarks folders to ensure I have a single
>>> listing of all the websites whos content I have been interested in
>>> over the years.
>>>
>>> I've added the second bookmarks file to the first bookmarks file
>>> which has given me a listing with lots of doubled up sub-directories,
>>> e.g. two "General" directories, two "Financial" directories, two
>>> "Mozilla" directories, etc., etc..
>>>
>>> If I, now, export the file as a HTML file (Tools->Export HTML...)
>>> would I then be able to edit that file in LibreOffice, or some such,
>>> delete all the twins, combine what's left and the import it back into
>>> SeaMonkey (Tools->Import HTML ..).
>>>
>>> If not, could someone offer another suggestion?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Why not just edit it in SeaMonkey's bookmarks manager?
>>
> I started doing that, Ed, but there are lots and lots of sub-folders
> with lots of locations/websites in each. Probable 300 in original folder
> and similar in the other!
>
> Don't I remember some add-on that would go through the Bookmarks folder
> and indicate any double-ups?? Maybe that's what EE is about to tell me!!
> Nope, so still looking!

Google is your friend?

<https://www.google.com/search?q=seamonkey%20bookmark%20duplicate&gws_rd=ssl>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
3/13/2018 1:31:02 PM
Daniel wrote:
> Don't I remember some add-on that would go through the Bookmarks folder
> and indicate any double-ups?? Maybe that's what EE is about to tell me!!
> Nope, so still looking!

CheckPlaces was able to do that, but the last time I tried it with
SeaMonkey it was slow as molasses.  Funny thing, it works fine with Pale
Moon.  If you want to try it, it is here:
http://daniel-lange.com/archives/71-SyncPlaces,-SortPlaces-...-preserving-these-and-other-excellent-Firefox-add-ons.html

0
EE
3/13/2018 6:40:50 PM
EE wrote on 14/03/18 05:40:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Don't I remember some add-on that would go through the Bookmarks
>> folder and indicate any double-ups?? Maybe that's what EE is about to
>> tell me!! Nope, so still looking!
>
> CheckPlaces was able to do that, but the last time I tried it with
> SeaMonkey it was slow as molasses.  Funny thing, it works fine with Pale
> Moon.  If you want to try it, it is here:
> http://daniel-lange.com/archives/71-SyncPlaces,-SortPlaces-...-preserving-these-and-other-excellent-Firefox-add-ons.html

Thank you, EE, worth a try!

Hmm, reading the descriptions of add-ons on that page, it seems
"Sortplaces" might do what I want!!

Now to run it through the Firefox to SeaMonkey converter!! (Maybe!!)