changing to IMAP from POP3

I have been using POP3 with most of my email accounts since the
beginning.  For some time now I encounter occasional problems where
automated fetching of new email fails silently.  I only become aware of
the problem when I notice a lack of email and manually request new mail
and get the error messages.  Fixing the problem requires a restart of
SeaMonkey.

I have never seen a similar problem with the accounts using IMAP.  I can
access the accounts currently using POP3 via IMAP.  Can I simply change
my server settings for those accounts from POP3 to IMAP, or would this
cause problems?  IN case this makes a difference I am using 64 bit
2.53.2 on 64 bit linux mint 18.3 here.

Dave
0
David
6/26/2020 5:39:57 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13525 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 6/26/2020 10:39 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> I have been using POP3 with most of my email accounts since the
> beginning.  For some time now I encounter occasional problems where
> automated fetching of new email fails silently.  I only become aware of
> the problem when I notice a lack of email and manually request new mail
> and get the error messages.  Fixing the problem requires a restart of
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I have never seen a similar problem with the accounts using IMAP.  I can
> access the accounts currently using POP3 via IMAP.  Can I simply change
> my server settings for those accounts from POP3 to IMAP, or would this
> cause problems?  IN case this makes a difference I am using 64 bit
> 2.53.2 on 64 bit linux mint 18.3 here.

David, I don't think you can change the e-mail server type in an
existing SeaMonkey's email account. I'd just make a new mail account in
SeaMonkey instead of changing the server name in the old account. In my
SeaMonkey, I have two accounts for the same e-mail service with two
different e-mail server addresses for IMAP and POP3.
--
Life is so crazy! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages,
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
6/26/2020 8:10:00 PM
Ant wrote:
> On 6/26/2020 10:39 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> I have been using POP3 with most of my email accounts since the
>> beginning.  For some time now I encounter occasional problems where
>> automated fetching of new email fails silently.  I only become aware of
>> the problem when I notice a lack of email and manually request new mail
>> and get the error messages.  Fixing the problem requires a restart of
>> SeaMonkey.
>>
>> I have never seen a similar problem with the accounts using IMAP.  I can
>> access the accounts currently using POP3 via IMAP.  Can I simply change
>> my server settings for those accounts from POP3 to IMAP, or would this
>> cause problems?  IN case this makes a difference I am using 64 bit
>> 2.53.2 on 64 bit linux mint 18.3 here.
>
> David, I don't think you can change the e-mail server type in an
> existing SeaMonkey's email account. I'd just make a new mail account in
> SeaMonkey instead of changing the server name in the old account. In my
> SeaMonkey, I have two accounts for the same e-mail service with two
> different e-mail server addresses for IMAP and POP3.

I had not noticed that there was no option to change the server type for
an existing mail account.  Joy.

Yes, I could create a new mail account using IMAP, but then I would have
two copies of the inbox.  Unless there is a way to point the new account
to the current folder.  Of course I would need to disable polling on the
old account first, likely invalidating the server settings to be sure.

Of course if the bug that hits were gone there would be no need.

Dave
0
David
6/26/2020 8:43:32 PM
On 6/26/2020 1:43 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 6/26/2020 10:39 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>>> I have been using POP3 with most of my email accounts since the
>>> beginning.  For some time now I encounter occasional problems where
>>> automated fetching of new email fails silently.  I only become aware of
>>> the problem when I notice a lack of email and manually request new mail
>>> and get the error messages.  Fixing the problem requires a restart of
>>> SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> I have never seen a similar problem with the accounts using IMAP.  I can
>>> access the accounts currently using POP3 via IMAP.  Can I simply change
>>> my server settings for those accounts from POP3 to IMAP, or would this
>>> cause problems?  IN case this makes a difference I am using 64 bit
>>> 2.53.2 on 64 bit linux mint 18.3 here.
>>
>> David, I don't think you can change the e-mail server type in an
>> existing SeaMonkey's email account. I'd just make a new mail account in
>> SeaMonkey instead of changing the server name in the old account. In my
>> SeaMonkey, I have two accounts for the same e-mail service with two
>> different e-mail server addresses for IMAP and POP3.
>
> I had not noticed that there was no option to change the server type for
> an existing mail account.  Joy.
>
> Yes, I could create a new mail account using IMAP, but then I would have
> two copies of the inbox.  Unless there is a way to point the new account
> to the current folder.  Of course I would need to disable polling on the
> old account first, likely invalidating the server settings to be sure.

What I did was use POP3 as my primary/local e-mail storage since I don't
really like keeping my personal e-mails on the servers. I use IMAP once
in a while. I move all its remote e-mails to my POP3 account to keep
locally by dragging and dropping between accounts' folders in
SeaMonkey's e-mail client.
--
Life is so crazy! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages,
unlucky #4, 2020, etc.
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
6/27/2020 4:30:31 AM
David H. Durgee wrote:
> I have been using POP3 with most of my email accounts since the
> beginning.  For some time now I encounter occasional problems where
> automated fetching of new email fails silently.  I only become aware of
> the problem when I notice a lack of email and manually request new mail
> and get the error messages.  Fixing the problem requires a restart of
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I have never seen a similar problem with the accounts using IMAP.  I can
> access the accounts currently using POP3 via IMAP.  Can I simply change
> my server settings for those accounts from POP3 to IMAP, or would this
> cause problems?  IN case this makes a difference I am using 64 bit
> 2.53.2 on 64 bit linux mint 18.3 here.
>
> Dave

I wanted to do the same several months ago and was told that it was not
possible, that I needed to create an IMAP account.  My original post was
on 21 Nov 2019 in my timezone, the header is "pop3 vs imap".

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
Ant wrote:
> What I did was use POP3 as my primary/local e-mail storage since I don't
> really like keeping my personal e-mails on the servers. I use IMAP once
> in a while. I move all its remote e-mails to my POP3 account to keep
> locally by dragging and dropping between accounts' folders in
> SeaMonkey's e-mail client.

I do something similar.  I prefer keeping my primary storage on my local
drive, and I have email archives now going back to close to 30 years.
I've also found that searching goes faster/easier on POP (or local
folders) than it does on an IMAP account.

With my POP accounts, I set the mail retention settings to leave
messages on the server for 14 days after download.  From there, if I'm
using other email settings, whether alternate clients or profiles on the
same machine, or other machines, I set up IMAP profiles. Nearly all the
time, having the last 14 days of accumulated mail is enough for what I
need immediately.  If I happen to send any messages from an IMAP
connection, I go to the Sent folder, and then move the copy into the
Inbox, where the message can then be downloaded in my normal POP
profile, for long-term storage.

This method allows me to get the mail access I need from any place I may
want access (including occasional use of a web client, as well as the
mail client on my cell phone), while keeping everything for long-term
storage in my primary POP profile.  The key idea is that I consider my
POP profile to be the authoritative collection, and accesses anywhere
else are merely copies.

Smith

0
NFN