Change in password retention in MailNews?

This one may be a little bit of a personal quirk, but my handling of
email going to my work account and primary personal account is done
where I let the Seamonkey password manager remember my password for SMTP
and LDAP access, but where I don't allow it to remember for POP access.
To me, because I have complex passwords, it's useful to have to enter
those regularly, as a way of ensuring that I never forget them -- and
there are occasions where it is useful to know that I have them
memorized, without having to rely on my external password manager.

I'm used to the idea that a password needs to be entered once per
session, and since I have Seamonkey open all day, entering those
passwords once per day is an acceptable intrusion, if I don't have need
to restart Seamonkey.

However, I'm seeing that after a few hours open, Seamonkey seems to be
forgetting the entered passwords, and where I have to manually re-enter
to check for new mail.  I just upgraded to 2.53.5.1 it's still
happening.  I haven't watched closely, but this seems to have started
happening since 2.53.4.  Is there some change to Seamonkey that would
cause the difference in handling?

I checked my server settings, and I have one set to check for new
messages every 15 minutes and the other every 30 minutes. I've
experimented with lowering both to 5 minute intervals, and I'm still
seeing the same effect. I'm not sure how frequently I have to re-enter
passwords, but over the course of about 9 hours, I have to re-enter at
least twice.

Should I just accept things, and let Seamonkey remember my POP passwords?

Smith
0
NFN
11/21/2020 7:23:20 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13678 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 11/21/2020 1:23 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
> This one may be a little bit of a personal quirk, but my handling of=20
> email going to my work account and primary personal account is done=20
> where I let the Seamonkey password manager remember my password for SMT=
P=20
> and LDAP access, but where I don't allow it to remember for POP access.=
=20
> To me, because I have complex passwords, it's useful to have to enter=20
> those regularly, as a way of ensuring that I never forget them -- and=20
> there are occasions where it is useful to know that I have them=20
> memorized, without having to rely on my external password manager.
>=20
> I'm used to the idea that a password needs to be entered once per=20
> session, and since I have Seamonkey open all day, entering those=20
> passwords once per day is an acceptable intrusion, if I don't have need=
=20
> to restart Seamonkey.
>=20
> However, I'm seeing that after a few hours open, Seamonkey seems to be =

> forgetting the entered passwords, and where I have to manually re-enter=
=20
> to check for new mail.=C2=A0 I just upgraded to 2.53.5.1 it's still=20
> happening.=C2=A0 I haven't watched closely, but this seems to have star=
ted=20
> happening since 2.53.4.=C2=A0 Is there some change to Seamonkey that wo=
uld=20
> cause the difference in handling?
>=20
> I checked my server settings, and I have one set to check for new=20
> messages every 15 minutes and the other every 30 minutes. I've=20
> experimented with lowering both to 5 minute intervals, and I'm still=20
> seeing the same effect. I'm not sure how frequently I have to re-enter =

> passwords, but over the course of about 9 hours, I have to re-enter at =

> least twice.
>=20
> Should I just accept things, and let Seamonkey remember my POP password=
s?
>=20
> Smith

I noticed similar behavior beginning in 2.53.4.  I'm now entering IMAP=20
passwords several times a day instead of when first opening SeaMonkey Mai=
l.

Lem Johnson

0
Lemuel