Cannot access google search engine

Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the =
google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with ve=
rsion 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. W=
hen one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify vario=
us pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfie=
d with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine=
..=20
Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Roger
PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.
0
rogihilton
5/11/2018 6:36:32 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12822 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Roger
> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

Could you show us the exact url you use for Google?  I have never heard
of this problem.  I suppose this could be a cookie problem, or you have
some wacky extension.

--
spammus ergo sum
0
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Roger
> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

Sounds like a browser highjacker and not a virus.
Does starting SM with add-ons disabled make any difference?
Do you use a proxy?
What do adware scans like Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, etc, show?

0
Paul
5/11/2018 9:09:15 PM
On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:09:45 UTC+1, Paul in Houston, TX  wrote:
> rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> > Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to =
the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started wit=
h version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appear=
s. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify v=
arious pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never sati=
sfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search en=
gine.
> > Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Roger
> > PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.
>=20
> Sounds like a browser highjacker and not a virus.
> Does starting SM with add-ons disabled make any difference?
> Do you use a proxy?
> What do adware scans like Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, etc, show?

I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=3Dhttp://www.google.com/%3Fhl%3=
Den&hl=3Den&q=3DEgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgFy

running malwarebytes and adware did not remove it. However, switching off t=
he router and turning it back on looked, at first, as though it had solved =
the problem but after a little time this plague reappeared.
0
rogihilton
5/11/2018 9:44:26 PM
On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:44:27 UTC+1, rogih...@gmail.com  wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:09:45 UTC+1, Paul in Houston, TX  wrote:
> > rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access t=
o the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started w=
ith version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appe=
ars. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify=
 various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never sa=
tisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search =
engine.
> > > Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> > > Thanks
> > > Roger
> > > PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.
> >=20
> > Sounds like a browser highjacker and not a virus.
> > Does starting SM with add-ons disabled make any difference?
> > Do you use a proxy?
> > What do adware scans like Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, etc, show?
>=20
> I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
> http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=3Dhttp://www.google.com/%3Fhl=
%3Den&hl=3Den&q=3DEgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgFy
>=20
> running malwarebytes and adware did not remove it. However, switching off=
 the router and turning it back on looked, at first, as though it had solve=
d the problem but after a little time this plague reappeared.

I don't use a proxy. I'm about to check the addons.
0
rogihilton
5/11/2018 9:46:16 PM
On 5/11/18 2:36 PM, rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Roger
> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

I entered google.com into the address bar and it went to
<https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl>. No need for me to identify many
pictures.

I could also go into Edit > Preferences > Internet Search and switch my
search engine to Google.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
On 5/11/2018 2:36 PM, rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Roger
> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

Are you sure it's malware? I went about 0 for 20 trying to get through
those picture grids in PaleMoon. Now I just cut and paste the URL into
Firefox and there are no problems.

Anyway here are two possibilities:

If the restore points are fairly recent, I'd try system restore. Pick a
point earlier than when the problem first appeared, and if it doesn't
get results, pick the next oldest point, if one exists. You can always
revert back to where you are now.

OR....

Try one of the online scanners, such as McAfee Stinger or Trend-Micro
Housecall.
0
Roger
5/12/2018 1:57:25 AM
Roger Fink wrote:
> On 5/11/2018 2:36 PM, rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
>> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the
>> google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with
>> version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears.
>> When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various
>> pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with
>> the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
>> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Roger
>> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.
>>

> Are you sure it's malware? I went about 0 for 20 trying to get through those
> picture grids in PaleMoon. Now I just cut and paste the URL into Firefox and
> there are no problems.
>
> Anyway here are two possibilities:
>
> If the restore points are fairly recent, I'd try system restore. Pick a point
> earlier than when the problem first appeared, and if it doesn't get results,
> pick the next oldest point, if one exists. You can always revert back to where
> you are now.
>
> OR....
>
> Try one of the online scanners, such as McAfee Stinger or Trend-Micro Housecall.

twitter.com/Gertjan_Vink: install mcafee

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.3
Build identifier: 20180403170715

Fedora 20 Linux
0
GerardJan
5/12/2018 4:11:19 AM
I experienced a similar issue once when I was assigned an IP by my cable
provider which was probably previously used to send spam or was blacklisted.

I would also check the router. Might have been highjacked.

FRG

WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/11/18 2:36 PM, rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
>> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the
>> google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with
>> version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears.
>> When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify
>> various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never
>> satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search
>> engine.
>> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Roger
>> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.
>>

> I entered google.com into the address bar and it went to
> <https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl>. No need for me to identify many pictures.
>
> I could also go into Edit > Preferences > Internet Search and switch my search
> engine to Google.

0
Frank
5/12/2018 9:00:47 AM
On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:46:17 UTC+1, rogih...@gmail.com  wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:44:27 UTC+1, rogih...@gmail.com  wrote:
 to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started=
 with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still ap=
pears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identi=
fy various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never =
satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the searc=
h engine.
> > >=20
> > > Sounds like a browser highjacker and not a virus.
> > > Does starting SM with add-ons disabled make any difference?
> > > Do you use a proxy?
> > > What do adware scans like Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, etc, show?
> >=20
> > I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
> > http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=3Dhttp://www.google.com/%3F=
hl%3Den&hl=3Den&q=3DEgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgF=
> >=20
> > running malwarebytes and adware did not remove it. However, switching o=
ff the router and turning it back on looked, at first, as though it had sol=
ved the problem but after a little time this plague reappeared.
>=20
> I don't use a proxy. I'm about to check the addons.

On checking the web I see a topic called the Google redirect virus. Anybody=
 ever dealt with it for the SM browser? Instructions are given for a number=
 of other browsers but not specfically SM.
0
rogihilton
5/12/2018 9:43:51 AM
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Roger
> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

Why do you think that is being done by a virus?  That does not sound
like typical virus behaviour.

0
EE
5/12/2018 2:36:10 PM
On 5/11/18, rogihilton@gmail.com <rogihilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:09:45 UTC+1, Paul in Houston, TX  wrote:
>> rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to
>> > the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started
>> > with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still
>> > appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to
>> > identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it
>> > is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from
>> > accessing the search engine.
>> > Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
>> > Thanks
>> > Roger
>> > PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.
>>
>> Sounds like a browser highjacker and not a virus.
>> Does starting SM with add-ons disabled make any difference?
>> Do you use a proxy?
>> What do adware scans like Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, etc, show?
>
> I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
> http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=http://www.google.com/%3Fhl%3Den&hl=en&q=EgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgFy

Which is what you almost always get when using the tor browser:
  Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer
  network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the
  requests, and not a robot.

Maybe you have an extension/addon that auto-updated and is now going
slightly berserk?  Try using a brand new profile in Seamonkey & see if
that makes any difference.  Or you could install wireshark & see what
traffic SeaMonkey is sending when it starts up.

Regards,
Lee
0
Lee
5/12/2018 5:18:17 PM
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49 but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are excluded from accessing the search engine.
> Any pointers to its eradication would be much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Roger
> PS It does not affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

What was the result of starting in safe mode?
Or turning off or deleting all add-ons?
Or creating a new profile?
0
Paul
5/12/2018 6:07:45 PM
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote on 12/05/18 19:43:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:46:17 UTC+1, rogih...@gmail.com  wrote:

>>> I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
>>> http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=http://www.google.com/%3Fhl%3Den&hl=en&q=EgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgFy
>>>
>>> running malwarebytes and adware did not remove it. However, switching off the router and turning it back on looked, at first, as though it had solved the problem but after a little time this plague reappeared.
>>
>> I don't use a proxy. I'm about to check the addons.
>
> On checking the web I see a topic called the Google redirect virus. Anybody ever dealt with it for the SM browser? Instructions are given for a number of other browsers but not specfically SM.

rog, does that site give instruction for Firefox?? If so, the browser
used in SeaMonkey is almost the same as Firefox.

I think, in Firefox, the Preferences are found on the Options drop-down,
where as, in SeaMonkey, the Preferences are found on the Edit drop-down.

Alternately, in the SeaMonkey browser, enter "about:config" (without the
inverted commas) and search for the required preference.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
5/13/2018 9:06:50 AM
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 22:46:17 UTC+1, rogih...@gmail.com  wrote:

>>> I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
>>> http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=http://www.google.com/%3Fhl%3Den&hl=en&q=EgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgFy
>>>
>>> running malwarebytes and adware did not remove it. However, switching off the router and turning it back on looked, at first, as though it had solved the problem but after a little time this plague reappeared.
>>
>> I don't use a proxy. I'm about to check the addons.
>
> On checking the web I see a topic called the Google redirect virus. Anybody ever dealt with it for the SM browser? Instructions are given for a number of other browsers but not specfically SM.

I have just looked at an awful tech-help site (it plays unwanted videos
and moves to another page when I try to stop that) and they say:

> In Firefox click the three horizontal bars near the top-right and choose Add-ons, or press Ctrl-Shift-A. Now click on Extensions in the left-hand menu and click Remove next to those you want to delete.

Seamonkey is closest to Firefox and you already know how to do the
Seamonkey equivalent.  They also suggest checking your 'home' page but
it does not look as though you have a problem there.

Another tech-site suggests installing various software from "untrusted"
sources (it provides the links) to fix the problem, but I personally
don't trust advice like that.
https://sensorstechforum.com/remove-google-redirect-virus/ might help,
further down the page they have a Symantec download.

It appears that your problem is a serious danger to your data and you
need to fix it smartish.
- How did it get past your virus scanner in the first place?
- What router are you using?  Some of them are insecure.
As a temporary measure (you do need to fix this), try using something
like https://duckduckgo.com/ as a search engine.  You can either call it
explicitly or change your settings to call it implicitly.

--
spammus ergo sum
0
Lee wrote:
> On 5/11/18, rogihilton@gmail.com <rogihilton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like a browser highjacker and not a virus.
>>> Does starting SM with add-ons disabled make any difference?
>>> Do you use a proxy?
>>> What do adware scans like Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, etc, show?
>>
>> I used http://www.google.com and it is replaced by the url
>> http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/index?continue=http://www.google.com/%3Fhl%3Den&hl=en&q=EgRZ8w_6GLCY2NcFIhkA8aeDSycOov1rnFpdManh62LuwUAjCHW7MgFy
>
> Which is what you almost always get when using the tor browser:
>    Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer
>    network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the
>    requests, and not a robot.
>
> Maybe you have an extension/addon that auto-updated and is now going
> slightly berserk?  Try using a brand new profile in Seamonkey & see if
> that makes any difference.  Or you could install wireshark & see what
> traffic SeaMonkey is sending when it starts up.
>
> Regards,
> Lee

Lee is the name of my blue jeans
isn't that funny ?

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.3
Build identifier: 20180403170715

Fedora 20 Linux
0
GerardJan
5/13/2018 9:27:51 AM
IRRITATING SPAMMER wrote:
> <snip>
>
> It appears that your problem is a serious danger to your data and you
> need to fix it smartish.
> - How did it get past your virus scanner in the first place?
> - What router are you using?  Some of them are insecure.
> As a temporary measure (you do need to fix this), try using something
> like https://duckduckgo.com/ as a search engine. You can either call
> it explicitly or change your settings to call it implicitly.

I've been using duckduckgo for several years with no problems. Can't
tell any difference from Google.  Mozilla reference caused the switch.
bj
0
chicagofan
5/13/2018 11:17:34 AM
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 12:17:38 UTC+1, chicagofan  wrote:
> IRRITATING SPAMMER wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > It appears that your problem is a serious danger to your data and you=
=20
> > need to fix it smartish.
> > - How did it get past your virus scanner in the first place?
> > - What router are you using?  Some of them are insecure.
> > As a temporary measure (you do need to fix this), try using something=
=20
> > like https://duckduckgo.com/ as a search engine. You can either call=20
> > it explicitly or change your settings to call it implicitly.
> >

> I've been using duckduckgo for several years with no problems. Can't=20
> tell any difference from Google.  Mozilla reference caused the switch.
> bj

No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon as=
 google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never sa=
tisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner. Nothing=
 they found and cleaned has helped so far.
0
rogihilton
5/13/2018 11:13:45 PM
On 5/13/18 7:13 PM, rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 May 2018 12:17:38 UTC+1, chicagofan  wrote:
>> IRRITATING SPAMMER wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> It appears that your problem is a serious danger to your data and you
>>> need to fix it smartish.
>>> - How did it get past your virus scanner in the first place?
>>> - What router are you using?  Some of them are insecure.
>>> As a temporary measure (you do need to fix this), try using something
>>> like https://duckduckgo.com/ as a search engine. You can either call
>>> it explicitly or change your settings to call it implicitly.
>>>

>> I've been using duckduckgo for several years with no problems. Can't
>> tell any difference from Google.  Mozilla reference caused the switch.
>> bj
>
> No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon as google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never satisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner. Nothing they found and cleaned has helped so far.

Why do you want to use Google?

DuckDuckGo is the default search engine for SeaMonkey and works quite
well without tracking you.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
5/13/2018 11:29:17 PM
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:

> Anybody any clues on how to get rid of this virus. It blocks access
> to the google search engine, although it allows access to Bing. It
> started with version 2.48 today on startup. I have updated to 2.49
> but it still appears. When one enters the google search engine url
> you get asked to identify various pictures to make sure you are not a
> robot. However, it is never satisfied with the answers and so you are
> excluded from accessing the search engine. Any pointers to its
> eradication would be much appreciated. Thanks Roger PS It does not
> affect Firefox or Edge browsers.

Must be something that Google's doing because they suspect you're a bot.
(They're wrong, of course, but this wouldn't be the first time...).
Repeated Captcha failure would probably be because you're blocking
cookies set by the Captcha website.

Anyway, what's your user agent string? There must be something there
that Google doesn't like, but not in the Firefox or Edge UA strings.

What happens if you spoof Firefox?

It doesn't mind my SeaMonkey string:
	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
	Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
5/13/2018 11:43:14 PM
On 5/13/18, rogihilton@gmail.com <rogihilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 May 2018 12:17:38 UTC+1, chicagofan  wrote:
>> IRRITATING SPAMMER wrote:
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > It appears that your problem is a serious danger to your data and you
>> > need to fix it smartish.
>> > - How did it get past your virus scanner in the first place?
>> > - What router are you using?  Some of them are insecure.
>> > As a temporary measure (you do need to fix this), try using something
>> > like https://duckduckgo.com/ as a search engine. You can either call
>> > it explicitly or change your settings to call it implicitly.
>> >

>> I've been using duckduckgo for several years with no problems. Can't
>> tell any difference from Google.  Mozilla reference caused the switch.
>> bj
>
> No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon as
> google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never
> satisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
> Nothing they found and cleaned has helped so far.

Safe mode doesn't reset your prefs.  Try it with a brand new profile.

Lee
0
Lee
5/14/2018 4:35:48 AM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/13/18 7:13 PM, rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:

>>> I've been using duckduckgo for several years with no problems. Can't
>>> tell any difference from Google.  Mozilla reference caused the switch.
>>> bj
>>
>> No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon as
>> google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never
>> satisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner. Nothing
>> they found and cleaned has helped so far.
>>

> Why do you want to use Google?
>
> DuckDuckGo is the default search engine for SeaMonkey and works quite well
> without tracking you.

I use google.nl and it tracks me via www.xs4all.nl the best provider in europe
no regret

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.3
Build identifier: 20180403170715

Fedora 20 Linux
0
GerardJan
5/14/2018 4:44:45 AM
Lee wrote:
> On 5/13/18, rogihilton@gmail.com <rogihilton@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've been using duckduckgo for several years with no problems. Can't
>>> tell any difference from Google.  Mozilla reference caused the switch.
>>> bj
>>
>> No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon as
>> google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never
>> satisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
>> Nothing they found and cleaned has helped so far.
>
> Safe mode doesn't reset your prefs.  Try it with a brand new profile.
>
> Lee

My "research" on the subject indicated the problem could even be a
rootkit.  The fact that resetting the router helped for a few minutes
leads me to suspect that the problem may not even be on the PC.  That is
why I asked what the router was.

--
spammus ergo sum
0
On 5/14/18, IRRITATING SPAMMER <ekodpr@alice.it> wrote:
> Lee wrote:

>>> No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon
>>> as
>>> google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never
>>> satisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
>>> Nothing they found and cleaned has helped so far.
>>
>> Safe mode doesn't reset your prefs.  Try it with a brand new profile.
>>
>> Lee
>
> My "research" on the subject indicated the problem could even be a
> rootkit.

It could be a lot of things. But a rootkit that affects SeaMonkey and
not Firefox?  doubtful

>  The fact that resetting the router helped for a few minutes
> leads me to suspect that the problem may not even be on the PC.

Resetting the router could have caused the router to be assigned a new
IP address from the ISP..  One that hasn't been making an absurd
number of requests to google.

Lee
0
Lee
5/14/2018 9:00:32 PM
On Monday, 14 May 2018 18:51:09 UTC+1, IRRITATING SPAMMER  wrote:
> Lee wrote:

> >> No difference to this hijacker/virus when starting in safe mode. As soon as
> >> google.com is entered it blocks with Capitcha questions which are never
> >> satisfied. I use Kaspersky antivirus and Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
> >> Nothing they found and cleaned has helped so far.
> >
> > Safe mode doesn't reset your prefs.  Try it with a brand new profile.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> My "research" on the subject indicated the problem could even be a
> rootkit.  The fact that resetting the router helped for a few minutes
> leads me to suspect that the problem may not even be on the PC.  That is
> why I asked what the router was.
>
> --
> spammus ergo sum

I am using an HG635 super router from TalkTalk which I think is made by Huawei
0
rogihilton
5/17/2018 10:14:26 AM
rogihilton@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, 14 May 2018 18:51:09 UTC+1, IRRITATING SPAMMER  wrote:

>>> Safe mode doesn't reset your prefs.  Try it with a brand new profile.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

>> My "research" on the subject indicated the problem could even be a
>> rootkit.  The fact that resetting the router helped for a few minutes
>> leads me to suspect that the problem may not even be on the PC.  That is
>> why I asked what the router was.
>>
>> --
>> spammus ergo sum
>
> I am using an HG635 super router from TalkTalk which I think is made by Huawei

(sorry, I've been busy)
https://www.cnet.com/news/expert-huawei-routers-are-riddled-with-vulnerabilities/#
is rather discouraging and - quite honestly - unhelpful.  One would hope
the company offer firmware updates, you might want to check for them.

https://modemly.com/Huawei-HG635-TalkTalk-router-setup is interesting.
Ideally you would need a cable connection to update the configuration
but that is obviously not the case here.  How many neighbours do you
have, neighbours with wifi range?  Hacker neighbours.

http://resetrouter.info/router/Huawei/HG635-TalkTalk pretty much says
the same things.  I'd glance at both before acting.

I would *not* Filter MAC Addresses or in particular, Disable Broadcast
SSID.  I have had MAC address filtering turned on in the past and it is
just too inconvenient.

Best of luck.

--
spammus ergo sum