Can I stop all the "Flipping & Flopping" on FoxNews ?

I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT

Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
11/13/2020 12:46:59 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13678 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 11/12/2020 4:46 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT
>
> Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
> so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.
>
> DoctorBill

Try disabling JavaScript (which is NOT Java).  I have PrefBar 7.1.1
installed with SeaMonkey 2.49.5.  PrefBar has two JavaScript controls.
One is plain "javaScript", which globally enables or disables
JavaScript; this one should be setup when you install PrefBar.  The
other is "prefbartabjavascript", which enables or disables JavaScript
only for the current tab; this one needs to be moved from Available to
Enabled if you Customize PrefBar.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

With only 4.2% of the world's population, the United
States has had 18.8% of the world's deaths from COVID-19.
Thank you President Trump.  You are FIRED!!  Good-bye
and good riddance.
0
David
11/13/2020 1:50:00 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/12/2020 4:46 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
>> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT
>>
>> Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
>> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
>> so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.
>>
>> DoctorBill
>>

> Try disabling JavaScript (which is NOT Java).  I have PrefBar 7.1.1
> installed with SeaMonkey 2.49.5.  PrefBar has two JavaScript controls.

Or consider managing scripting with NoScript.

I haven't seen foxnews, but most media sites have a significant number
of sites serving scripts.  Some scripting sites are essential for seeing
content, especially the site's own scripting host, content delivery
networks (often with "cdn" in the name), and external sites used for
defense against DDoS attacks such as cloudfront and cloudflare -- those
are all things you generally want/need to keep enabled.  Beyond that,
there's numerous hosts that are used for tracking and ad delivery.

I tend to be aggressive about blocking scripting hosts, and whitelisting
when necessary to get what I want.  For sites that I trust, I will
permanently whitelist, but there's a lot of sites that I will whitelist
only when it's necessary to get to what I want.  And in some cases,
blocking is enough that it's disruptive to graphical content, either
completely suppressing things like photographs, or where graphical
content is distorted (e.g., thumbnails that are expanded to much larger
size) or odd layout.  For me, that's mostly OK, because often, I don't
really care about the photos, anyway.

However, with blocking, I also don't see a lot of animated content, and
that's usually enough to block most EU cookie notifications. On the
latter, I assume sites are setting cookies, and I don't really care,
because I have Seamonkey set to flush cookies at the end of a session,
anyway.

Doing the amounts of temporary whitelisting I do is probably not for
most people, but for many users, with a little tinkering it is possible
to come up with a mix of what's allowed and what's permanently blocked,
in way that you find satisfactory.

For foxnews, I suggest starting off with blocking everything, and then
enabling hosts one at a time, especially the ones that aren't obviously
ad or tracking related.

However, with the NoScript approach enabling/blocking is something that
is global, and your permissions grants or denials apply to all sites,
not just one site.

Thus, if you block google-analytics (which I've found is safe to do),
that blocks for all sites.  On the other hand, there's several Google
scripting sites that you may need to leave unblocked, such as Google Tag
Manager, Google's API and AJAX servers and Gstatic (which serves fonts
and other static content).

Smith
0
NFN
11/13/2020 3:08:38 PM
Can I stop all the "Flipping & Flopping" on FoxNews ?

> Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:46 -0800 DoctorBill wrote:
> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT
 !

> Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
> so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.

Fox webpages will continue to flip-flop, code changed as they see fit,
and there is very little to stop it if you wish to read Fox News or
other Fox websites.

Try avoiding Fox Crap! There are options. There are several hosts on
Fox with major credibility, and they are being setup to be trashed,
soon. Fox controls what you see, and how you see it. Indoctrination!

Avoid the 49cent hamburger that makes you sick!

Recent pubs expose the true owner, politics, and power of Fox. It is
part of the MSM, the cabal if you wish, the global politics, not free
press reporting. Part of the CNN(Counterfeit News Network) global
group of power brokers, indirectly. They use you every time you visit
their website. Then they track you and use you later.

To You, The Best of luck in deciphering this mess! And keep me
informed directly if you wish!

=2D-
The Best To You & Yours,
M. Ross All Rights Reserved

My Life Is My Permit, My Right To Keep And Bear Arms!
Read book: "Votescam" by James and Kenneth Collier, circa 1992; I am
from Miami Fla., I was there in the 1950s-1976 period. Votescam True!

=2D--end-of-message---
0
MRoss
11/13/2020 4:17:28 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT

Can you give an exact URL to a page and explain what you expect to see
on it (e.g. a news story about xyz), and compare with what you see
instead (e.g. a video starts playing after five seconds, or the text
jumps to the top of the screen)

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
0
On 13/11/2020 15:08, NFN Smith wrote:
>...>
>
> I tend to be aggressive about blocking scripting hosts, and whitelisting
> when necessary to get what I want.  For sites that I trust, I will
> permanently whitelist, but there's a lot of sites that I will whitelist
> only when it's necessary to get to what I want.  ...
+1
> However, with the NoScript approach enabling/blocking is something that
> is global, and your permissions grants or denials apply to all sites,
> not just one site.

Classic NoScript as used with SM has a policy function (ABE:
<https://noscript.net/faq#faqsec8>) which can be used to enable scripts
selectively; not yet implemented for the WebExtensions version.

For instance, if you don't globally enable www.google.com, many sites
that use that domain instead of recaptcha.net to test our knowledge of
US street furniture through JavaScript will fail to allow you to log in.
Using ABE you can selectively enable www.google.com for such sites.

/df

--
London
UK
On 11/12/20 7:46 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THA=
y !
>=20
> Is there some way to stop that ?=C2=A0 Ad Blocking just causes more "Pl=
ease
> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.=C2=A0=C2=A0 A good web site is now TRASHE=
D UP with
> so many ads, it is worthless !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Everything else is trash.
>=20
> DoctorBill

Tested in my SM 2.53.4 with no extensions and didn't see any this & that =

I do have all the user tracking settings enabled, prompt selected for=20
Location Aware Browsing, and both Safe Browsing settings enabled in=20
Preferences > Privacy & Security.

The Stop button would occasionally turn red, and I would see activity in =

the upper left video where the ads play.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

0
WaltS48
11/14/2020 12:39:16 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT
>
> Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
> so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.
>
> DoctorBill

Turn off JS on Fox News.
I never see any ads or videos or any sort of pop ups.

0
Paul
11/14/2020 3:01:18 AM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT
>> constantly !
>>
>> Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
>> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
>> so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> Turn off JS on Fox News.
> I never see any ads or videos or any sort of pop ups.

Details of how to do so?

--
Frosted Flake
0
On 11/14/2020 4:18 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & T=
HAT
>>> constantly !
>>>
>>> Is there some way to stop that ?=C2=A0 Ad Blocking just causes more "=
Please
>>> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.=C2=A0=C2=A0 A good web site is now TRAS=
HED UP with
>>> so many ads, it is worthless !=C2=A0=C2=A0 Everything else is trash.
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> Turn off JS on Fox News.
>> I never see any ads or videos or any sort of pop ups.
>>
> Details of how to do so?

JS =3D JavaScript (which is NOT Java)

See my 12 November reply in this thread.

--=20
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

With only 4.2% of the world's population, the United
States has had 18.7% of the world's deaths from COVID-19.
Thank you President Trump.  You are FIRED!!  Good-bye
and good riddance.

0
David
11/15/2020 3:29:51 AM
Frosted Flake wrote:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT
>>> constantly !
>>>
>>> Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
>>> Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
>>> so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> Turn off JS on Fox News.
>> I never see any ads or videos or any sort of pop ups.
>>
> Details of how to do so?

My solution is similar to David Ross'.
A disable js extension.
uBlock Origin ad blocker.
BluHell firewall.
and a button to turn off html5.
Many different ones are directly available for SM or can be converted
from FF to SM.  Find ones that work well and you that you like.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=javascript
0
Paul