Blog Feed Subscriptions - What Qualifies?

I just loaded 2.3 as it was included with a Linux distro.

On my Samsung NB30 netbook it appears to work as fine as
the prior versions ... other than a little screen overlap
(probably unrelated to SM 2.3) ... so far.

One new feature does not appear to be working:

In E-mail I tried to add a couple of different Blog feeds
and they both were rejected.  Is this a known bug or is
there some unprompted protocol for what "Feed URL" will
and will not be accepted, please?

Thanks!

-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 3:00:23 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13134 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

12 Replies
4972 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

doc@kd4e.com wrote:
> I just loaded 2.3 as it was included with a Linux distro.
>
> On my Samsung NB30 netbook it appears to work as fine as
> the prior versions ... other than a little screen overlap
> (probably unrelated to SM 2.3) ... so far.
>
> One new feature does not appear to be working:
>
> In E-mail I tried to add a couple of different Blog feeds
> and they both were rejected. Is this a known bug or is
> there some unprompted protocol for what "Feed URL" will
> and will not be accepted, please?
>
> Thanks!
>

As far as I know it should work, do you have those "couple different 
blog feed" urls and willing to describe how you went about trying to add 
them.

I don't discount entirely this breaking, but I want to try and verify 
the base assumptions here.

-- 
~Justin Wood (Callek)
0
Justin
8/24/2011 7:21:02 AM
>Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> As far as I know it should work, do you have those "couple different
> blog feed" urls and willing to describe how you went about trying to add
> them.
>
> I don't discount entirely this breaking, but I want to try and verify
> the base assumptions here.

I tried to follow the instructions.

I was in Mail & Newsgroups and had just added several accounts.

File - New - Account - Blogs and News Feeds

.... then "Next"

Account Name:  "NSEA"

.... then "Finish"

Then I clicked on the new account entry "NSEA" and
selected "Account Settings"

Then I selected "Manage Subscriptions"

Then "Add"

Then I entered the direct URL:
<http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php>

The error said that it could not be found.

WDYT?


-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 1:59:26 PM

doc@kd4e.com wrote:

>> I clicked on the new account entry "NSEA" and
> selected "Account Settings"
> 
> Then I selected "Manage Subscriptions"
> 
> Then "Add"
> 
> Then I entered the direct URL:
> <http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php>
> 
> The error said that it could not be found.
> 
> WDYT?

I think it can't be found :

> nevils-station.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

Philip Taylor
0
Philip
8/24/2011 2:03:37 PM
Now it has miraculously re-appeared.  DNS problems ?
Philip Taylor
--------
Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> I think it can't be found :
> 
>> nevils-station.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog5.php


0
Philip
8/24/2011 2:07:42 PM
I have no idea!  :-)

So the setup requires the URL to respond within a few seconds?

Is there a way to change that timing so that it is more patient?

Or, even better, a way to turn off the timer so that one may
enter URLs even when off-line.

 > Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> Now it has miraculously re-appeared.  DNS problems ?
> Philip Taylor
> --------
> Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>
>> I think it can't be found :
>>
>>> nevils-station.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.
>
>> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog5.php


-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 2:24:02 PM
This one also fails:

http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/


> So the setup requires the URL to respond within a few seconds?
>
> Is there a way to change that timing so that it is more patient?
>
> Or, even better, a way to turn off the timer so that one may
> enter URLs even when off-line.
>
>  > Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>> Now it has miraculously re-appeared. DNS problems ?
>> Philip Taylor
>> --------
>> Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>>
>>> I think it can't be found :
>>>
>>>> nevils-station.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
>>>> again.
>>
>>> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog5.php


-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 2:37:55 PM
I just noticed that I did not have a good connection.

I fixed that and now am getting an error that this
"is not a valid feed".

I am looking at the Blog page on another computer so I know
that it is working fine.

http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php

It is a b2evolution blog - is there a restricted list of
blog types that are recognized?

This one is Wordpress and also fails (re-tested with a good
connection):
http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/

Perhaps I need to format the URL differently?


>> So the setup requires the URL to respond within a few seconds?
>>
>> Is there a way to change that timing so that it is more patient?
>>
>> Or, even better, a way to turn off the timer so that one may
>> enter URLs even when off-line.
>>
>> > Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>>> Now it has miraculously re-appeared. DNS problems ?
>>> Philip Taylor
>>> --------
>>> Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>>>
>>>> I think it can't be found :
>>>>
>>>>> nevils-station.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
>>>>> again.
>>>
>>>> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog5.php
>
>

-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 3:13:33 PM
Can someone post what they have found to be a "valid feed"
so that I may determine if the problem is local or in the
2.3 code, please?

 > doc@kd4e.com wrote:
> I just noticed that I did not have a good connection.
>
> I fixed that and now am getting an error that this
> "is not a valid feed".
>
> I am looking at the Blog page on another computer so I know
> that it is working fine.
>
> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php
>
> It is a b2evolution blog - is there a restricted list of
> blog types that are recognized?
>
> This one is Wordpress and also fails (re-tested with a good
> connection):
> http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/
>
> Perhaps I need to format the URL differently?
>
>
>>> So the setup requires the URL to respond within a few seconds?
>>>
>>> Is there a way to change that timing so that it is more patient?
>>>
>>> Or, even better, a way to turn off the timer so that one may
>>> enter URLs even when off-line.
>>>
>>> > Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>>>> Now it has miraculously re-appeared. DNS problems ?
>>>> Philip Taylor
>>>> --------
>>>> Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I think it can't be found :
>>>>>
>>>>>> nevils-station.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
>>>>>> again.
>>>>
>>>>> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog5.php


-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 4:53:41 PM
On 08/24/2011 09:53 AM, doc@kd4e.com wrote:
> Can someone post what they have found to be a "valid feed"
> so that I may determine if the problem is local or in the
> 2.3 code, please?
....

Try:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
right hand side of the page just below "Powered By mozilla"

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news-atom

Most recent was the announcement regarding the 2.3.1 release.

0
NoOp
8/24/2011 6:06:15 PM
doc@kd4e.com schrieb:
 > This one also fails:
 >
 > http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/

Hi,

I think your problem is, that you directly try to subscribe to the blogs 
via the Messenger/Feed component, but you specify the URL of the 
web-page, which is delivering the normal HTTP/HTML version of the web page.
(=What you see in the browser.)

It will be usually another script on the server, or the same script but 
with another option, which will deliver the actual RSS.

What you should do (unless you want to guess the needed URLs) is:

- Open the URLs you posted in the browser.
- Select the/one RSS feed by the orange feed symbol in the address
   location bar.
- A "preview" of the feed will be displayed, the URL now in the
   address bar is the actual URL you are looking for.
- Add it to your Feed account from there.
   (Or copy&paste it from here.)

Examples:

HTML:
http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php
Feed:
http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php?tempskin=_rss2

HTML:
http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/
Feed:
http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/feed/

BR&HTH
Philipp
0
ISO
8/24/2011 6:09:53 PM
Excellent!  Thanks!

I wonder if it would be value-added to provide a Hint in this
area of 2.3 since it is a new feature?

Either insert a Hint icon or pop it up when a URL fails - to
explain briefly (with an example) how to use the feature.

> I think your problem is, that you directly try to subscribe to the blogs
> via the Messenger/Feed component, but you specify the URL of the
> web-page, which is delivering the normal HTTP/HTML version of the web page.
> (=What you see in the browser.)
>
> It will be usually another script on the server, or the same script but
> with another option, which will deliver the actual RSS.
>
> What you should do (unless you want to guess the needed URLs) is:
>
> - Open the URLs you posted in the browser.
> - Select the/one RSS feed by the orange feed symbol in the address
> location bar.
> - A "preview" of the feed will be displayed, the URL now in the
> address bar is the actual URL you are looking for.
> - Add it to your Feed account from there.
> (Or copy&paste it from here.)
>
> Examples:
>
> HTML:
> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php
> Feed:
> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php?tempskin=_rss2
>
> HTML:
> http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/
> Feed:
> http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/feed/
>
> BR&HTH
> Philipp


-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 6:18:44 PM
Uh Oh ...

There is no "Done" button so one is left to guess that to
exit the Manage Subscriptions area one clicks on the {x}
in the upper right corner of the pop-up window.

That crashed SM 2.3.

When restarted the new entry was there and working.

> Excellent!  Thanks!
>
> I wonder if it would be value-added to provide a Hint in this
> area of 2.3 since it is a new feature?
>
> Either insert a Hint icon or pop it up when a URL fails - to
> explain briefly (with an example) how to use the feature.
>
>> I think your problem is, that you directly try to subscribe to the blogs
>> via the Messenger/Feed component, but you specify the URL of the
>> web-page, which is delivering the normal HTTP/HTML version of the web
>> page.
>> (=What you see in the browser.)
>>
>> It will be usually another script on the server, or the same script but
>> with another option, which will deliver the actual RSS.
>>
>> What you should do (unless you want to guess the needed URLs) is:
>>
>> - Open the URLs you posted in the browser.
>> - Select the/one RSS feed by the orange feed symbol in the address
>> location bar.
>> - A "preview" of the feed will be displayed, the URL now in the
>> address bar is the actual URL you are looking for.
>> - Add it to your Feed account from there.
>> (Or copy&paste it from here.)
>>
>> Examples:
>>
>> HTML:
>> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php
>> Feed:
>> http://nevils-station.com/blogs/blog6.php?tempskin=_rss2
>>
>> HTML:
>> http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/
>> Feed:
>> http://www.green-trust.org/wordpress/feed/
>>
>> BR&HTH
>> Philipp
>
>

-- 

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
Have an http://ultrafidian.com day
I don't google I SEARCH!  STARTPAGE.com
Shop Freedom-Friendly http://kd4e.com/of.html
0
doc
8/24/2011 6:32:12 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

blogs, blog, blogs
What is a blog? How would I go about creating one in asp.net? Does anyone have any resources they could shed some light on? thanks Hi, take a look at the following links: All About Blogs and RSS Syndicating Your Web Site's Content with RSS and ASP.NET RSS Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. See also The History of Weblogs. Scotthttp://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/...

Subscribing to the feed using SeaMonkey News & Blogs
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --------------enigD5B3E8CDCEA28F75898467BE Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! I tried to add an RSS feed to SeaMonkey N&B (from menu Bookmarks -> Subscribe to this page -> Subscribe to this feed using: News & Blogs) but without any reaction. Add RSS feed to Google Reader from the same site works (Subscribe to this feed using: Google) as well as manually add rss feeds to SeaMonkey N&B (mailnews window -> B&N Feeds -> Manage subscripti...

superreview requested: [Bug 240393] port Firefox Live Bookmarks / RSS reader to SeaMonkey (RSS-feed integration with bookmarks) : [ Attachment 292077] Link toolbar, tabbrowser feed detection, feed men
neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> has asked jag (Peter Annema) <jag@tty.nl> for superreview: Bug 240393: port Firefox Live Bookmarks / RSS reader to SeaMonkey (RSS-feed integration with bookmarks) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240393 Attachment 292077: Link toolbar, tabbrowser feed detection, feed menu and icon https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=292077&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> Note that the UI is subtly different from Callek's patch, mainly because I didn't want to ...

Seamonkey support
I called support for help in transferring email from one hard drive to another after a crash. It took all day, after being disconnected twice and leaving my credit card info on one of those, I was finally able to reach the second live person. I explained that I needed to transfer my email from the previous account to the new one, gave cc info again and was walked through the process to restore the needed files. When I told the person I needed the steps for my second email address, I was told that it would be another $39.95. He refused to help without another charge. luckil...

support/what support
Name: William Johnson Email: william0992atsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: support/what support Comments: your support? department for Firefox issues is nothing but a circular maze of unbelievably confusing information that is of no use for the layman and I would dump this piece of trash if I didn't need it for certain websites. I don't know how to reprogram the many bugs or fix the many websites broken by this thing and its "error console" with no directions as to what to do with it. What is it's purpose if there is no help function for it? ...

About feeds subscription
Name: Stephen Chung Email: cosmiadotleatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: About feeds subscription Comments: Thanks for Firefox developed by you. Firefox is best browser I've ever used in many aspects, but when it comes to feeds subscription, Firefox doesn't do as well as I expected. Unlike mail, websites usually don't provide full article in the feeds. If I use RSS reader like Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird, I will have to open a new browser to read the full article, even though Firefox starts fast, it wastes time indeed. So the best way to subscribe feed...

Does dotText support using multople blogs under a subdomain like blogs.mydomain.com?
I have a set of blogs under an app on a .net host (the app is in a subdirectory off the root called "blogs" I have a subdomain called blogs.theoblogical.org pointing to that app doText runs, but I now have to create a separate subdirectory under the blogs directory and put a default.aspx file in it. I used to ba able to simply add a new entry to blog config and a new blog would work under my aggregate blog (but before, I had a URL like http://theoblogical.org/dt as my aggregate directory. I changed my blog_config table entries that were pointing to theoblogical.org/d...

superreview denied: [Bug 240393] port Firefox Live Bookmarks / RSS reader to SeaMonkey (RSS-feed integration with bookmarks) : [ Attachment 290956] Part 1: Feed Discovery (v3)
neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> has denied Justin Wood (irc: Callek) <bugspam.Callek@gmail.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 240393: port Firefox Live Bookmarks / RSS reader to SeaMonkey (RSS-feed integration with bookmarks) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240393 Attachment 290956: Part 1: Feed Discovery (v3) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=290956&action=edit ...

superreview canceled: [Bug 240393] port Firefox Live Bookmarks / RSS reader to SeaMonkey (RSS-feed integration with bookmarks) : [ Attachment 287698] Link toolbar and tabbrowser feed detection
neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> has canceled neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net>'s request for superreview: Bug 240393: port Firefox Live Bookmarks / RSS reader to SeaMonkey (RSS-feed integration with bookmarks) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240393 Attachment 287698: Link toolbar and tabbrowser feed detection https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=287698&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> Note that the UI is subtly different from Callek's patch, mainly because I didn't wan...

No support for SeaMonkey @ Yahoo
Yahoo upgrading mail service in the near future. Looks like SeaMonkey will not be supported (as usual). Here's a quote from their page: "You can upgrade now to the newest Yahoo! Mail if your browser is Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 4, or Chrome 5 or newer." -- Ed http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1zhwu/ Powered by SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ "Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." -Anne O'Hare McCormick (1882-1954) W3BNR wrote: > Yahoo upgrading mail...

Blogs and News Feeds
I have several feeds setup. How do I change the URI of a feed? How do I even see the URI? How do I put two feeds under one name? I did this once but I can't remember how. One of my children has two blogs; I was able to put RSS feeds for both under one name WITHOUT having any subfolder. Yes, I have seached in what passes for Help and in Mozillazine. I can't find answers to any of these questions. -- David E. Ross <http://www.rossde.com/>. Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive bureaucracy has obviously never worked for ...

Seamonkey blog and comments
Hello, The SeaMonkey blog ( https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/ ) shows comments, of which only a few are visible to me. It is because I need to log on to see all comments ? Is there a need to wait for moderation ? Another point : is there a pointer somewhere on how to get a login / password (to add comments)? Thanks to the blog admins and contributors ! Dom, ...

Feed Subscription Icon
Name: Craig Overend Email: craig.overend_at_gmail.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: Feed Subscription Icon Comments: Middle clicking doesn't load the subscribe in a new tab as expected. Does nothing... Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

subscription feed reset
Awhile back I asked to have our subscription feed reset. I don't believe this was ever done. Can I please have this done? Thanks Tom, I can't find a record of an email from you - did you send it spond at novell dot com? -- Shaun Pond Shaun Pond wrote: > Tom, > > I can't find a record of an email from you - did you send it spond at > novell dot com? > yep, sent it on 8/7. I can send the info again if you'd like. Tom, please do, I don't have it... -- Shaun Pond Tom, feed is reset -- Shaun Pond ...

Web resources about - Blog Feed Subscriptions - What Qualifies? - mozilla.support.seamonkey

List of countries by number of broadband Internet subscriptions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following is a list of countries by fixed (wired) broadband Internet subscriptions and penetration rate, compiled by the International Telecommunication ...

Test Users Allow Developers To Vet Facebook Subscription Payments Process
Facebook is now allowing developers that are implementing subscription payments to use test users in order to ensure that the entire process ...

Subscriptions - The Post and Courier - Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment
postandcourier.com delivers the latest breaking news and information on the latest top stories, weather, business, entertainment, politics, and ...

Introducing subscriptions and local currency pricing
Today, we’re announcing two updates to our payments product: subscriptions and local currency pricing. New ways to monetize with subscriptions ...

Facebook updates payments terms to reflect addition of subscriptions, Credits phase out and more
Facebook has updated its payment terms for both users and developers following Tuesday’s announcement that it would support monthly subscription ...

Scripting News: I had to get a NYT Digital Subscription to figure out what's wrong.
Yesterday I posted a tweet with some feedback for the NY Times marketers. Getting a NYT Digital Subscription should open up something new and ...

Ultimate Guitar Tabs HD - Subscription for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Ultimate Guitar Tabs HD - Subscription on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.


Loot Crate - Epic Geek and Gamer Subscription - YouTube
Get Loot Crate: http://bit.ly/grabsomeloot - EPIC saves 10%! Real Loot Crate subscribers were invited to give their honest and unscripted opinions ...

YouTube Planning Paid Subscription Channels For $US1.99 A Month
YouTube plans to offer paid subscription channels in the next few weeks, sources with knowledge of the matter said.

Resources last updated: 11/22/2015 10:09:40 AM