Advertising Blocker in SeaMonkey 2.49.4

I am sure that there must be some way to stop adds from showing up on my
computer.  I have searched the internet for a program that will put an
end to my add problem with no joy.  Some of what I read was above my
technical ability to follow.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Frog
0
Frog
6/27/2019 6:45:18 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13175 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Frog composed on 2019-06-27 14:45 (UTC-0400):

> I am sure that there must be some way to stop adds from showing up on my
> computer.  I have searched the internet for a program that will put an
> end to my add problem with no joy.  Some of what I read was above my
> technical ability to follow.  Any suggestions appreciated.

The vast majority of ads can be avoided using CSS. Some examples are at:
<https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/forks>
>From there
<https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/archive/86d2c2463ff3fc6b8834da2efdec18bbb0533840.zip>
can be extracted into your profile's chrome directory (create it if you don't
already have it) and used as-is as a place to start.

Compelling sites that don't work in SeaMonkey due to this type of blocking, or UA
incompetence, I open instead in Firefox or Chromium.

Sites you frequent you might wish to customize, e.g. via add-on:
https://userstyles.org/

No method is perfect, but they help a lot.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
0
Felix
6/27/2019 7:53:31 PM
Felix Miata wrote:
> Frog composed on 2019-06-27 14:45 (UTC-0400):
>
>> I am sure that there must be some way to stop adds from showing up on my
>> computer.  I have searched the internet for a program that will put an
>> end to my add problem with no joy.  Some of what I read was above my
>> technical ability to follow.  Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> The vast majority of ads can be avoided using CSS. Some examples are at:
> <https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/forks>
>>From there
> <https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/archive/86d2c2463ff3fc6b8834da2efdec18bbb0533840.zip>
> can be extracted into your profile's chrome directory (create it if you don't
> already have it) and used as-is as a place to start.
>
> Compelling sites that don't work in SeaMonkey due to this type of blocking, or UA
> incompetence, I open instead in Firefox or Chromium.
>
> Sites you frequent you might wish to customize, e.g. via add-on:
> https://userstyles.org/
>
> No method is perfect, but they help a lot.

I use uBlock Origin (currently 1.16.4.11) and NoScript (5.1.9) and ads are
mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/

FRG
0
Frank
6/27/2019 8:31:33 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2019 22:31:
> Felix Miata wrote:
>> Frog composed on 2019-06-27 14:45 (UTC-0400):
>>
>>> I am sure that there must be some way to stop adds from showing up on=
 my
>>> computer.=C2=A0 I have searched the internet for a program that will =
put an
>>> end to my add problem with no joy.=C2=A0 Some of what I read was abov=
e my
>>> technical ability to follow.=C2=A0 Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> The vast majority of ads can be avoided using CSS. Some examples are a=
t:
>> <https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/forks>
>>> From there
>> <https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/archive/86d2c2463=
ff3fc6b8834da2efdec18bbb0533840.zip>
>> can be extracted into your profile's chrome directory (create it if yo=
u don't
>> already have it) and used as-is as a place to start.
>>
>> Compelling sites that don't work in SeaMonkey due to this type of bloc=
king, or UA
>> incompetence, I open instead in Firefox or Chromium.
>>
>> Sites you frequent you might wish to customize, e.g. via add-on:
>> https://userstyles.org/
>>
>> No method is perfect, but they help a lot.
>>
>=20
> I use uBlock Origin (currently 1.16.4.11) and NoScript (5.1.9) and ads =
are mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/
>=20
> FRG

I have been using AdBlock Plus for years with excellent resiults:   https=
://adblockplus.org/en/

Also, its "Element Hiding Helper" accessory is quite useful:  https://adb=
lockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

RF

0
Rubens
6/28/2019 10:35:23 AM

Rubens wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2019 22:31:
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>
>> I use uBlock Origin (currently 1.16.4.11) and NoScript (5.1.9) and ads are
>> mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/
>>
>> FRG
>
> I have been using AdBlock Plus for years with excellent resiults:
> https://adblockplus.org/en/
>
> Also, its "Element Hiding Helper" accessory is quite useful:
> https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper
>
> RF

Had trouble with the last classic ABP builds in 2.53. Currently uBlock is the
better and only choice becasuse it is still occasionally updated.
0
Frank
6/28/2019 11:14:44 AM
On 6/27/2019 1:31 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> I use uBlock Origin (currently 1.16.4.11) and NoScript (5.1.9) and ads
> are mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/

Thank you for letting us know that there is a newer UO build from
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Firefox-WebExtensions#future-of-ubolegacy.
:) Too bad, we have to do this manually though. :(
--
"If someone makes you angry, I think the thing to do is tie them down to
the ground, cover them in honey, and then release a swarm of killer ants
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
6/28/2019 12:01:40 PM
  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:a8SdnRTpapHwcIjAnZ2dnUU7-TnNnZ2d@mozilla.org">Frank-Rainer
          (UTC-0400):
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/forks">&lt;https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/forks&gt;</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/archive/86d2c2463ff3fc6b8834da2efdec18bbb0533840.zip">&lt;https://gist.github.com/spyesx/42fe84c0ef757d1c38a4/archive/86d2c2463ff3fc6b8834da2efdec18bbb0533840.zip&gt;</a>
          <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://userstyles.org/">https://userstyles.org/</a>
        and ads are mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://pi-hole.net/">https://pi-hole.net/</a>
        FRG
      I have been using AdBlock Plus for years with excellent
      resiults:   <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://adblockplus.org/en/">https://adblockplus.org/en/</a>
      Also, its "Element Hiding Helper" accessory is quite useful:
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper">https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper</a>
      RF
      good.<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/">https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/</a><br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="166">--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed</pre>
0
UTF
6/28/2019 3:37:40 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 28/06/2019 13:14:

> Rubens wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2019 22:31:
>>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>>
>>> I use uBlock Origin (currently 1.16.4.11) and NoScript (5.1.9) and ads are mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/
>>>
>>> FRG
>>
>> I have been using AdBlock Plus for years with excellent resiults: https://adblockplus.org/en/
>>
>> Also, its "Element Hiding Helper" accessory is quite useful: https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper
>>
>> RF
>>

> Had trouble with the last classic ABP builds in 2.53. Currently uBlock is the better and only choice becasuse it is still occasionally updated.

Unfortunately I have to stick to 2.49.4 because of the Lightning extension, so for me ABP still works perfectly but will test UB later.
0
Rubens
6/29/2019 11:36:13 PM

Rubens wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 28/06/2019 13:14:
>>

> Unfortunately I have to stick to 2.49.4 because of the Lightning extension, so
> for me ABP still works perfectly but will test UB later.

Bills 2.53 includes Lightning. Any problems with it?

FRG
0
Frank
6/30/2019 10:08:10 AM
On 6/27/19, Frog <frog@pond.com> wrote:
> I am sure that there must be some way to stop adds from showing up on my
> computer.  I have searched the internet for a program that will put an
> end to my add problem with no joy.  Some of what I read was above my
> technical ability to follow.  Any suggestions appreciated.

If you just want to block ads - adblock plus

I don't like the creepy stalker-like behavior of "surveillance
capitalism" or running untrusted code on my computer, so uMatrix
(after changing the defaults[1]) and uBlock Origin.

A host file can be a nice backup, but they're a pain to troubleshoot.
If you want to go the hostfile path I'd suggest using privoxy instead
(see  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/04/msg01116.html)

Lee

1.  uMatrix defaults changed to
- allow only 1st party css, frame & image
- add additional host files:
   https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lightswitch05/hosts/master/ads-and-tra=
cking-extended.txt
=E2=80=8B   https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/host=
Lee
6/30/2019 10:08:53 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 28/06/2019 13:14:

> Rubens wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2019 22:31:
>>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>>
>>> I use uBlock Origin (currently 1.16.4.11) and NoScript (5.1.9) and ads are mostly gone. Or set up Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/
>>>
>>> FRG
>>
>> I have been using AdBlock Plus for years with excellent resiults: https://adblockplus.org/en/
>>
>> Also, its "Element Hiding Helper" accessory is quite useful: https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper
>>
>> RF
>>

> Had trouble with the last classic ABP builds in 2.53. Currently uBlock is the better and only choice becasuse it is still occasionally updated.

Thank you for the hint. Just installed uBlock Origin and got amazed by its performance. So far I didn't see any ads in all sites I visit frequently.
0
Rubens