Adobe Acrobat Plugin

I recently was forced to update my Adobe Acrobat Reader from v11 to
v2019.021 (Reader DC) because I encountered an important .pdf file which
wouldn't open in the older version.

I also have the Adobe Acrobat Plugin v19.21 activated on SeaMonkey v2.49.5.

Ever since installing the Acrobat Reader update, I've been having
intermittent problems opening .pdf files in SeaMonkey. Sometimes the
page will say "done", but the display will be blank. Sometimes
re-loading the page corrects the problem, but not always. If I save the
page to my desktop as a .pdf file, Acrobat Reader will open it in its
own window.

I went into Preferences->Helper Applications and changed the settings to
"Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Now when I click on a .pdf file in a web
page, the file opens properly but in a separate Acrobat Reader window. I
would much prefer to have it open as before in the SeaMonkey window. How
do I do that? Thanks!

John
--
Q: What's the quickest way to get a mailbox full of spam?
A: Post a message in any newsgroup using a real email address.

Therefore, please reply in this newsgroup. Thank you.
0
notme
1/10/2020 2:08:52 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13531 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 1/9/20 9:08 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
> I recently was forced to update my Adobe Acrobat Reader from v11 to
> v2019.021 (Reader DC) because I encountered an important .pdf file which
> wouldn't open in the older version.
>
> I also have the Adobe Acrobat Plugin v19.21 activated on SeaMonkey v2.49.5.
>
> Ever since installing the Acrobat Reader update, I've been having
> intermittent problems opening .pdf files in SeaMonkey. Sometimes the
> page will say "done", but the display will be blank. Sometimes
> re-loading the page corrects the problem, but not always. If I save the
> page to my desktop as a .pdf file, Acrobat Reader will open it in its
> own window.
>
> I went into Preferences->Helper Applications and changed the settings to
> "Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Now when I click on a .pdf file in a web
> page, the file opens properly but in a separate Acrobat Reader window. I
> would much prefer to have it open as before in the SeaMonkey window. How
> do I do that? Thanks!
>
> John

Do you have the PDF viewer extension installed?

It should appear in the Actions column of Helper Applications and you
can select it.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/10/2020 2:27:02 AM

WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/9/20 9:08 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
>> I recently was forced to update my Adobe Acrobat Reader from v11 to
>> v2019.021 (Reader DC) because I encountered an important .pdf file
>> which wouldn't open in the older version.
>>
>> I also have the Adobe Acrobat Plugin v19.21 activated on SeaMonkey
>> v2.49.5.
>>
>> Ever since installing the Acrobat Reader update, I've been having
>> intermittent problems opening .pdf files in SeaMonkey. Sometimes the
>> page will say "done", but the display will be blank. Sometimes
>> re-loading the page corrects the problem, but not always. If I save
>> the page to my desktop as a .pdf file, Acrobat Reader will open it in
>> its own window.
>>
>> I went into Preferences->Helper Applications and changed the settings
>> to "Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Now when I click on a .pdf file in a
>> web page, the file opens properly but in a separate Acrobat Reader
>> window. I would much prefer to have it open as before in the SeaMonkey
>> window. How do I do that? Thanks!
>>
>> John
>
> Do you have the PDF viewer extension installed?
>
> It should appear in the Actions column of Helper Applications and you
> can select it.

No, I was not aware of this extension. It only has been downloaded 46
times and has no reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.

It wasn't required before, so why would it be required now? There ought
to be a better way.

John
--
Q: What's the quickest way to get a mailbox full of spam?
A: Post a message in any newsgroup using a real email address.

Therefore, please reply in this newsgroup. Thank you.
0
notme
1/10/2020 9:13:15 PM
On 1/10/20 4:13 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 1/9/20 9:08 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
>>> I recently was forced to update my Adobe Acrobat Reader from v11 to
>>> v2019.021 (Reader DC) because I encountered an important .pdf file
>>> which wouldn't open in the older version.
>>>
>>> I also have the Adobe Acrobat Plugin v19.21 activated on SeaMonkey
>>> v2.49.5.
>>>
>>> Ever since installing the Acrobat Reader update, I've been having
>>> intermittent problems opening .pdf files in SeaMonkey. Sometimes the
>>> page will say "done", but the display will be blank. Sometimes
>>> re-loading the page corrects the problem, but not always. If I save
>>> the page to my desktop as a .pdf file, Acrobat Reader will open it in
>>> its own window.
>>>
>>> I went into Preferences->Helper Applications and changed the settings
>>> to "Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Now when I click on a .pdf file in
>>> a web page, the file opens properly but in a separate Acrobat Reader
>>> window. I would much prefer to have it open as before in the
>>> SeaMonkey window. How do I do that? Thanks!
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Do you have the PDF viewer extension installed?
>>
>> It should appear in the Actions column of Helper Applications and you
>> can select it.
>>
> No, I was not aware of this extension. It only has been downloaded 46
> times and has no reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
>
> It wasn't required before, so why would it be required now? There ought
> to be a better way.
>
> John

It is not required. Looks like it has 140 users to me.

<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>

The better way for me is to use Firefox which doesn't allow the Adobe
Acrobat Plugin anymore and has a built-in PDF viewer.

I hope someone comes along with a solution to your problem.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/10/2020 10:20:54 PM
On 10/01/20 22:20, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/10/20 4:13 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
>>

>> WaltS48 wrote:

This is the sort  of file that the Mozilla pdf.js viewer probably won't
be able to handle.

Install an up-to-date version of the pdf.js viewer extension, as below,
which will handle most PDFs in a browser window or tab as if they were
real HTML; use its "Open in another viewer" function if it doesn't show
the PDF properly: that allows you to open a downloaded PDF in Acrobat
Reader or whichever PDF tool you select.

>> No, I was not aware of this extension. It only has been downloaded 46
>> times and has no reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.

That's just the SM version. The FF version was long ago adopted into the
browser package.

> It is not required. Looks like it has 140 users to me.
>
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>
>

> The better way for me is to use Firefox which doesn't allow the Adobe
> Acrobat Plugin anymore and has a built-in PDF viewer.
>
> ...... ie, the same add-on that is linked above in its SM version, but
shipped with the browser.

/df

--
London
UK
On 1/9/2020 6:08 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
> I recently was forced to update my Adobe Acrobat Reader from v11 to
> v2019.021 (Reader DC) because I encountered an important .pdf file which
> wouldn't open in the older version.
>
> I also have the Adobe Acrobat Plugin v19.21 activated on SeaMonkey v2.49.5.
>
> Ever since installing the Acrobat Reader update, I've been having
> intermittent problems opening .pdf files in SeaMonkey. Sometimes the
> page will say "done", but the display will be blank. Sometimes
> re-loading the page corrects the problem, but not always. If I save the
> page to my desktop as a .pdf file, Acrobat Reader will open it in its
> own window.
>
> I went into Preferences->Helper Applications and changed the settings to
> "Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Now when I click on a .pdf file in a web
> page, the file opens properly but in a separate Acrobat Reader window. I
> would much prefer to have it open as before in the SeaMonkey window. How
> do I do that? Thanks!
>
> John

I am using an older version of PDF Viewer.  It is 2.0.389, and I
installed it in SeaMonkey almost two years ago.  It works quite well.
If you want it, reply in this newsgroup thread.  I will then make it
available to you.

By the way, I have successfully (so far) avoided using the cloud for
anything.  Thus, I still use Adobe Reader 11.0.23, but not as a
SeaMonkey plug-in.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.
0
David
1/11/2020 4:39:50 PM

WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/10/20 4:13 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
>>

>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Do you have the PDF viewer extension installed?
>>>
>>> It should appear in the Actions column of Helper Applications and you
>>> can select it.
>>>
>> No, I was not aware of this extension. It only has been downloaded 46
>> times and has no reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
>>
>> It wasn't required before, so why would it be required now? There
>> ought to be a better way.
>>
>> John
>
> It is not required. Looks like it has 140 users to me.
>
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>
>

> The better way for me is to use Firefox which doesn't allow the Adobe
> Acrobat Plugin anymore and has a built-in PDF viewer.
>
> I hope someone comes along with a solution to your problem.

This works! Thank you for your help.

John
--
Q: What's the quickest way to get a mailbox full of spam?
A: Post a message in any newsgroup using a real email address.

Therefore, please reply in this newsgroup. Thank you.
0
notme
1/12/2020 1:21:38 AM
On 2020-01-10 23:20, WaltS48 wrote:
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>

This extension does not work for me with PDF e-mail attachments. Am I
missing anything?
0
That
1/12/2020 11:03:30 AM
On 12/01/20 11:03, That Guy wrote:
> On 2020-01-10 23:20, WaltS48 wrote:
>> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>
>
> This extension does not work for me with PDF e-mail attachments. Am I
> missing anything?

No, you've found this bug:
<https://github.com/IsaacSchemm/pdf.js-seamonkey/issues/2>

My bug report linked above includes a proposed fix that "works for me"
but Isaac hasn't yet rolled it in.

/df

--
London
UK
notme@nonospam.org wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> No, I was not aware of this extension. It only has been downloaded 46
>>> times and has no reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
>>>
>>> It wasn't required before, so why would it be required now? There
>>> ought to be a better way.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> It is not required. Looks like it has 140 users to me.
>>
>> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>
>>

>> The better way for me is to use Firefox which doesn't allow the Adobe
>> Acrobat Plugin anymore and has a built-in PDF viewer.
>>
>> I hope someone comes along with a solution to your problem.
>>
> This works! Thank you for your help.
>
> John
I spoke too soon. It works for opening a .pdf but when I try to print
the .pdf from SeaMonkey the output is garbage. If I save the file to my
desktop and open it with Acrobat Reader, then it prints fine.

John
--
Q: What's the quickest way to get a mailbox full of spam?
A: Post a message in any newsgroup using a real email address.

Therefore, please reply in this newsgroup. Thank you.
0
notme
1/17/2020 11:13:40 PM
On 1/17/2020 3:13 PM, notme@nonospam.org wrote:
> notme@nonospam.org wrote:
>>

>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> It is not required. Looks like it has 140 users to me.
>>>
>>> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/pdf-js-for-seamonkey/?src=ss>
>>>

>>> The better way for me is to use Firefox which doesn't allow the Adobe
>>> Acrobat Plugin anymore and has a built-in PDF viewer.
>>>
>>> I hope someone comes along with a solution to your problem.
>>>
>> This works! Thank you for your help.
>>
>> John
> I spoke too soon. It works for opening a .pdf but when I try to print
> the .pdf from SeaMonkey the output is garbage. If I save the file to my
> desktop and open it with Acrobat Reader, then it prints fine.
>
> John

While I do not get garbage, I find that text near the right edge of the
page is truncated.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods.  Real
meat is natural.  Beyond Meat is definitely not.  No,
I do NOT own a cattle ranch, a butcher shop, or any
other business doing commerce in meat.
0
David