64 bit SM 2.49.5

I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can 
I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?

Thanks,

JAS
0
JAS
2/9/2020 5:32:10 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13358 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

20 Replies
30 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?

It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
the 64 bit version.
Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to installing in
  C:\Program Files (x86)\
and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
  C:\Program Files\

Regards,
Lee
0
Lee
2/9/2020 7:10:25 PM
Lee wrote:
> On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
> 
> It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
> the 64 bit version.
> Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to installing in
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\
> and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
>    C:\Program Files\
> 
> Regards,
> Lee
> 

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/

System Requirements, Installation and Uninstallation
Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
Please note that the new Windows x64 version will only support Windows 7 x64 
and up. You need to uninstall a previous Windows x86 version if you want to 
use it. Installing the x64 over the old x86 is not supported and does not 
remove the old version which might cause problems later.

FRG
0
Frank
2/9/2020 7:39:26 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>> On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
>>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have 
>>> installed now?
>>
>> It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
>> the 64 bit version.
>> Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to installing in
>>    C:\Program Files (x86)\
>> and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
>>    C:\Program Files\
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lee
>>
> 
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
> 
> System Requirements, Installation and Uninstallation
> Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
> Please note that the new Windows x64 version will only support Windows 7 
> x64 and up. You need to uninstall a previous Windows x86 version if you 
> want to use it. Installing the x64 over the old x86 is not supported and 
> does not remove the old version which might cause problems later.
> 
> FRG
It is on a HP 450 G3 64 bit Windows 10 Pro laptop. Is there an advantage 
to using the 64 bit version of SM.

Tanks,
JAS
0
JAS
2/9/2020 7:48:14 PM
JAS wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> Lee wrote:
>>> On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>>>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
>>>
>>> It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
>>> the 64 bit version.
>>> Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to installing in
>>>    C:\Program Files (x86)\
>>> and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
>>>    C:\Program Files\
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Lee
>>>
>>
>> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
>>
>> System Requirements, Installation and Uninstallation
>> Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
>> Please note that the new Windows x64 version will only support Windows 7 x64 
>> and up. You need to uninstall a previous Windows x86 version if you want to 
>> use it. Installing the x64 over the old x86 is not supported and does not 
>> remove the old version which might cause problems later.
>>
>> FRG
> It is on a HP 450 G3 64 bit Windows 10 Pro laptop. Is there an advantage to 
> using the 64 bit version of SM.
> 
> Tanks,
> JAS

Better memory management. It is the future. But if you still use old binary 
plugins like Silverlight or Java be aware that it only supports the Flash 
plugin. Extensions supported in 2.49.5 should work fine.

FRG
0
Frank
2/9/2020 8:32:30 PM
On 2/9/2020 11:10 AM, Lee wrote:
> On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
> 
> It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
> the 64 bit version.
> Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to installing in
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\
> and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
>    C:\Program Files\

IIRC, its release notes said to uninstall 32-bit version before 
installing the 64-bit version to upgrade. SM should check for this and 
do it automatically after confirming with the user.
-- 
"What reason, like the careful ant, draws laboriously together, the wind 
of accident sometimes collects in a moment." --Friedrich von Schiller
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
2/9/2020 8:40:49 PM
On 2/9/2020 12:32 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> JAS wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>> Lee wrote:
>>>> On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. 
>>>>> Can
>>>>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have 
>>>>> installed now?
>>>>
>>>> It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
>>>> the 64 bit version.
>>>> Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to 
>>>> installing in
>>>>    C:\Program Files (x86)\
>>>> and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
>>>>    C:\Program Files\
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Lee
>>>>
>>>
>>> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
>>>
>>> System Requirements, Installation and Uninstallation
>>> Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system 
>>> requirements.
>>> Please note that the new Windows x64 version will only support 
>>> Windows 7 x64 and up. You need to uninstall a previous Windows x86 
>>> version if you want to use it. Installing the x64 over the old x86 is 
>>> not supported and does not remove the old version which might cause 
>>> problems later.
>>>
>>> FRG
>> It is on a HP 450 G3 64 bit Windows 10 Pro laptop. Is there an 
>> advantage to using the 64 bit version of SM.
>>
>> Tanks,
>> JAS
> 
> Better memory management. It is the future. But if you still use old 
> binary plugins like Silverlight or Java be aware that it only supports 
> the Flash plugin. Extensions supported in 2.49.5 should work fine.

Even with 64-bit Java plugins?
-- 
"Don't be no Ant-Man. An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
2/9/2020 8:41:48 PM

Ant wrote:
> On 2/9/2020 12:32 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> JAS wrote:
>>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>>> Lee wrote:
>>>>> On 2/9/20, JAS <jasforumsall@outlook.com> wrote:
>>>>>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>>>>>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
>>>>>
>>>>> It'd be safer to uninstall the 32 bit version, reboot and then install
>>>>> the 64 bit version.
>>>>> Especially on Windows, where the 32 bit version defaults to installing in
>>>>>    C:\Program Files (x86)\
>>>>> and the 64 bit version defaults to installing in
>>>>>    C:\Program Files\
>>>>>
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> Lee
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
>>>>
>>>> System Requirements, Installation and Uninstallation
>>>> Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
>>>> Please note that the new Windows x64 version will only support Windows 7 
>>>> x64 and up. You need to uninstall a previous Windows x86 version if you 
>>>> want to use it. Installing the x64 over the old x86 is not supported and 
>>>> does not remove the old version which might cause problems later.
>>>>
>>>> FRG
>>> It is on a HP 450 G3 64 bit Windows 10 Pro laptop. Is there an advantage to 
>>> using the 64 bit version of SM.
>>>
>>> Tanks,
>>> JAS
>>
>> Better memory management. It is the future. But if you still use old binary 
>> plugins like Silverlight or Java be aware that it only supports the Flash 
>> plugin. Extensions supported in 2.49.5 should work fine.
> 
> Even with 64-bit Java plugins?

No longer supported.  2.53.1 will remove the x86 support for them too. Only 
Flash for now but it will be hopefully gone next year too.

FRG
0
Frank
2/9/2020 8:52:39 PM
On 2/9/2020 9:32 AM, JAS wrote:
> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can 
> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> JAS
> 

My PC is configured with two physical hard drives: a solid-state drive
(SSD) partiioned for two logical drives (C and one other) and a spinner
used only for data.  For a long time now (even on a prior PC that had
two spinners and no SSD), I installed SeaMonkey in a special folder not
on my C-drive.  When the 64-bit SeaMonkey 2.49.5 became available, I had
no problem installing it without uninstalling 2.49.4.

Yes, Frank-Rainer Grahl and others are correct:  If a 32-bit SeaMonkey
is installed in the Windows default location, you must uninstall it
before installing a 64-bit SeaMonkey.  That is because the default
locations for 32-bit and 64-bit applications are not the same.  However,
not everyone installs applications in the Windows default locations.

By the way, my five SeaMonkey profiles are not in the expected default
location.  They are on my spinner because I consider them to be mostly
data (preference variables, cookies, bookmarks, etc).

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods.  Real
meat is natural.  Beyond Meat is definitely not.  No,
I do NOT own a cattle ranch, a butcher shop, or any
other business doing commerce in meat.
0
David
2/9/2020 9:46:20 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 2/9/2020 9:32 AM, JAS wrote:
>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> JAS
>>
> 
> My PC is configured with two physical hard drives: a solid-state drive
> (SSD) partiioned for two logical drives (C and one other) and a spinner
> used only for data.  For a long time now (even on a prior PC that had
> two spinners and no SSD), I installed SeaMonkey in a special folder not
> on my C-drive.  When the 64-bit SeaMonkey 2.49.5 became available, I had
> no problem installing it without uninstalling 2.49.4.
> 
> Yes, Frank-Rainer Grahl and others are correct:  If a 32-bit SeaMonkey
> is installed in the Windows default location, you must uninstall it
> before installing a 64-bit SeaMonkey.  That is because the default
> locations for 32-bit and 64-bit applications are not the same.  However,
> not everyone installs applications in the Windows default locations.
> 
> By the way, my five SeaMonkey profiles are not in the expected default
> location.  They are on my spinner because I consider them to be mostly
> data (preference variables, cookies, bookmarks, etc).
> 

This has nothing to do with default installations. If you just run the zipped 
version no harm done.

But if you install it DLLs for accessibility and email sending via explorer 
and others (Mapi) are registered. Same for association setup.

So please uninstall and reinstall. If you don't and you experience problems 
with OS integration you are on your own and shouldn't wonder.

FRG

0
Frank
2/9/2020 9:54:53 PM
On 2/9/2020 1:54 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 2/9/2020 9:32 AM, JAS wrote:
>>> I have the 32 bit ver. of Seamonkey 2.49.5 loaded on my laptop now. Can
>>> I run the 64 bit installer right over the 32 bit ver. I have installed now?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JAS
>>>
>>
>> My PC is configured with two physical hard drives: a solid-state drive
>> (SSD) partiioned for two logical drives (C and one other) and a spinner
>> used only for data.  For a long time now (even on a prior PC that had
>> two spinners and no SSD), I installed SeaMonkey in a special folder not
>> on my C-drive.  When the 64-bit SeaMonkey 2.49.5 became available, I had
>> no problem installing it without uninstalling 2.49.4.
>>
>> Yes, Frank-Rainer Grahl and others are correct:  If a 32-bit SeaMonkey
>> is installed in the Windows default location, you must uninstall it
>> before installing a 64-bit SeaMonkey.  That is because the default
>> locations for 32-bit and 64-bit applications are not the same.  However,
>> not everyone installs applications in the Windows default locations.
>>
>> By the way, my five SeaMonkey profiles are not in the expected default
>> location.  They are on my spinner because I consider them to be mostly
>> data (preference variables, cookies, bookmarks, etc).
>>
> 
> This has nothing to do with default installations. If you just run the zipped 
> version no harm done.
> 
> But if you install it DLLs for accessibility and email sending via explorer 
> and others (Mapi) are registered. Same for association setup.
> 
> So please uninstall and reinstall. If you don't and you experience problems 
> with OS integration you are on your own and shouldn't wonder.
> 
> FRG
> 

I just now did the following:

1.  Back up my five profiles.

2.  Uninstall SeaMonkey 2.49.5 x64.

3.  Install SeaMonkey 2.49.5 x64 in the same non-default location where
I had previously installed SeaMonkey.

Whenever I install or update an application, I log the changes to the
Windows registry and to all my files.  When I updated from SeaMonkey
2.49.4 to 2.49.5 x64 without first removing SeaMonkey, the log was 265
KB.  This time, the log was only 91 KB.

Doing all this did not resolve my only problem, which I think is a
profile issue.  In one profile, I cannot set the master password or any
site-specific password.  In two other profiles, I do not have this
problem.  In the two remaining of my five profiles, I do not use
passwords.  The profile having the problem shows no other signs of
corruption.  I would appreciate if someone could tell me what files I
could copy from one of the two "totally good" profiles into the problem
profile to fix this.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods.  Real
meat is natural.  Beyond Meat is definitely not.  No,
I do NOT own a cattle ranch, a butcher shop, or any
other business doing commerce in meat.
0
David
2/9/2020 10:47:50 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> If you just run the zipped version no harm done.
> 
So just run the ZIP versions.  I have never used an installer, and that 
goes back to Netscape.  Then you can put it anyplace you want and with 
any name.  Preferably NOT on a boot partition.  The Win partition gets 
cluttered too much already.

Ray

0
Ray
2/10/2020 12:18:40 AM
On 2/9/2020 12:52 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
....
>>> Better memory management. It is the future. But if you still use old 
>>> binary plugins like Silverlight or Java be aware that it only 
>>> supports the Flash plugin. Extensions supported in 2.49.5 should work 
>>> fine.
>>
>> Even with 64-bit Java plugins?
> 
> No longer supported.  2.53.1 will remove the x86 support for them too. 
> Only Flash for now but it will be hopefully gone next year too.

Interesting and thanks.
-- 
"Ants are the dominant insects of the world, and they've had a great 
impact on habitats almost all over the land surface of the world for 
more than 50-million years." --E. O. Wilson
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
2/10/2020 1:57:00 AM
Ray Davison wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> 
>> If you just run the zipped version no harm done.
>>
> So just run the ZIP versions.  I have never used an installer, and that 
> goes back to Netscape.  Then you can put it anyplace you want and with 
> any name.  Preferably NOT on a boot partition.  The Win partition gets 
> cluttered too much already.
> 
> Ray
> 
Thanks for all the replies and I am going to uninstall the 32 bit and 
install the 64 bit,

Thanks,
JAS
0
JAS
2/10/2020 2:26:55 AM
JAS wrote on 10/02/2020 1:26 PM:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>
>>> If you just run the zipped version no harm done.
>>>
>> So just run the ZIP versions.  I have never used an installer, and 
>> that goes back to Netscape.  Then you can put it anyplace you want and 
>> with any name.  Preferably NOT on a boot partition.  The Win partition 
>> gets cluttered too much already.
>>
>> Ray
>>
> Thanks for all the replies and I am going to uninstall the 32 bit and 
> install the 64 bit,
> 
> Thanks,
> JAS

Safety first, JAS, back-up your profile .... just in case!!

-- 
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/10/2020 8:20:26 AM
Daniel wrote:
> JAS wrote on 10/02/2020 1:26 PM:
>> Ray Davison wrote:
>>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>>
>>>> If you just run the zipped version no harm done.
>>>>
>>> So just run the ZIP versions.  I have never used an installer, and 
>>> that goes back to Netscape.  Then you can put it anyplace you want 
>>> and with any name.  Preferably NOT on a boot partition.  The Win 
>>> partition gets cluttered too much already.
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>
>> Thanks for all the replies and I am going to uninstall the 32 bit and 
>> install the 64 bit,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JAS
> 
> Safety first, JAS, back-up your profile .... just in case!!
> 
Or better yet. do not have profiles on either the boot or app 
partitions.  If app, profile and mail are in three separate locations 
life is much more simple and safe.

Ray

0
Ray
2/10/2020 9:44:56 PM
Ray Davison wrote on 11/02/2020 8:44 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> JAS wrote on 10/02/2020 1:26 PM:
>>> Ray Davison wrote:
>>>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> If you just run the zipped version no harm done.
>>>>>
>>>> So just run the ZIP versions.  I have never used an installer, and 
>>>> that goes back to Netscape.  Then you can put it anyplace you want 
>>>> and with any name.  Preferably NOT on a boot partition.  The Win 
>>>> partition gets cluttered too much already.
>>>>
>>>> Ray
>>>>
>>> Thanks for all the replies and I am going to uninstall the 32 bit and 
>>> install the 64 bit,
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> JAS
>>
>> Safety first, JAS, back-up your profile .... just in case!!
>>
> Or better yet. do not have profiles on either the boot or app 
> partitions.  If app, profile and mail are in three separate locations 
> life is much more simple and safe.
> 
> Ray
> 
You reading my minds, Ray??

Win7 OS on C:\, Executable programs on F:\ and Profile on G:\ myself!!

-- 
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/11/2020 8:14:47 AM
Daniel wrote:
>>>
>> Or better yet. do not have profiles on either the boot or app 
>> partitions.  If app, profile and mail are in three separate locations 
>> life is much more simple and safe.
>>
>> Ray
>>
> You reading my minds, Ray??
> 
> Win7 OS on C:\, Executable programs on F:\ and Profile on G:\ myself!!
> 
Now do one more thing.  Get mail out of the profile and into a separate 
tree on G:.

Ray


0
Ray
2/11/2020 5:46:22 PM
Ray Davison wrote on 12/02/2020 4:46 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>>>>
>>> Or better yet. do not have profiles on either the boot or app 
>>> partitions.  If app, profile and mail are in three separate locations 
>>> life is much more simple and safe.
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>
>> You reading my minds, Ray??
>>
>> Win7 OS on C:\, Executable programs on F:\ and Profile on G:\ myself!!
>>
> Now do one more thing.  Get mail out of the profile and into a separate 
> tree on G:.
> 
> Ray

Why do you recommend doing that, Ray??

-- 
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/12/2020 5:53:20 AM
Daniel wrote:
>>>
>> Now do one more thing.  Get mail out of the profile and into a 
>> separate tree on G:.
>>
>> Ray
> 
> Why do you recommend doing that, Ray??
> 
To maintain them separately.  Mail changes often, the profiles less so. 
I have separate bat files to backup profiles and mail.

And how often has someone said "I lost my mail".  If it is in it's own 
tree you will probably never loose mail because Win doesn't know where 
it is and so cannot effect it.

Ray



0
Ray
2/12/2020 7:16:14 PM
Ray Davison wrote:

>>
> To maintain them separately.  Mail changes often, the profiles less so. 
> I have separate bat files to backup profiles and mail.
> 
And, it allows you to use the same mail in multiple profiles.

You may have a test profile where you want to use the same mail.

You may have his and hers profiles that use the same computer and apps 
and want to share one mail account.

Etc, etc, etc

Ray

0
Ray
2/12/2020 7:25:42 PM
Reply: