32bit & 64bit SM questions.

A couple questions:

1. Is the official Mac SeaMonkey 64-bit or 32-bit for Mac OS X Sierra
v10.12.6 on a 2012 13.3" MacBook Pro (MBP) with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB SSD?

2. In my updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1, my 32-bit SM is slow with some web
sites especially with muliple tabs like on YouTube, Google News,
LinkedIn, etc. For an example, it can go up to almost 3 GB of RAM with
about 10 HTML5 YouTube video tabs (not playing all at the same time,
just buffering them with one video playing). I don't have this problem
in MBP. I wonder if it is capped at 3 GB of RAM since it is a 32-bit
process even though I am using a 64-bit OS.

I hope someone can answer my technical questions. Thank you for reading. :)
--
"Ants can carry twenty times their weight, which is useful information
if you're moving out and you need help getting a potato chip across
  | |o   o| |         http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
10/11/2018 8:03:54 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12963 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2018-10-11 4:03 p.m., Ant wrote:
> A couple questions:
>
> 1. Is the official Mac SeaMonkey 64-bit or 32-bit for Mac OS X Sierra
> v10.12.6 on a 2012 13.3" MacBook Pro (MBP) with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB SSD?

On Mac, SeaMonkey has been 64-bit since version 2.1.

--
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Newsgroup moderator

FRG

Ant wrote:
> A couple questions:
>
> 1. Is the official Mac SeaMonkey 64-bit or 32-bit for Mac OS X Sierra v10.12.6
> on a 2012 13.3" MacBook Pro (MBP) with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB SSD?
>
> 2. In my updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1, my 32-bit SM is slow with some web sites
> especially with muliple tabs like on YouTube, Google News, LinkedIn, etc. For
> an example, it can go up to almost 3 GB of RAM with about 10 HTML5 YouTube
> video tabs (not playing all at the same time, just buffering them with one
> video playing). I don't have this problem in MBP. I wonder if it is capped at
> 3 GB of RAM since it is a 32-bit process even though I am using a 64-bit OS.
>
> I hope someone can answer my technical questions. Thank you for reading. :)
0
Frank
10/12/2018 8:43:04 AM
I can't have both 32-bit official (EXE installer) and and 64-bit
official (portable zip file) installed at the same time? I know I can't
run both of them at the same time. Also, will my old extensions still
work in the 64-bit portable version? Here is what I have right now:

Last updated: Fri Oct 12 2018 11:19:44 GMT-0700 (Pacific Standard Time)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4

Extensions (enabled: 5)
* ColorfulTabs 31.1.9 (http://www.addongenie.com/colorfultabs)
* DOM Inspector 2.0.16.1-signed
(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/inspector/) (disabled)
* Open With 6.8.6 (https://github.com/darktrojan/openwith)
* PrefBar 7.1.1 (http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/)
* uBlock Origin 1.16.4.4 (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock)
* uBlock Origin Updater 1.6.4 (https://github.com/JustOff/ublock0-updater/)

On 10/12/2018 1:43 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> I have seen SeaMonkey hit a GB or 2 but not much more. I hope we are
> able to provide an x64 Windows build soon after the new infra is ready.
> You can try this one if you would like to take a test drive:
> http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/
> Please uninstall your x86 build first. The profiles are compatible. Mapi
> is not Working in x64 TB and SM Windows builds so send from explorer
> will fail. This is an unofficial build with no warranty but most of the
> the additional backports over 2.49.4 where done by me.
>
> FRG
>
> Ant wrote:
>> A couple questions:
>>
>> 1. Is the official Mac SeaMonkey 64-bit or 32-bit for Mac OS X Sierra
>> v10.12.6 on a 2012 13.3" MacBook Pro (MBP) with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB
>> SSD?
>>
>> 2. In my updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1, my 32-bit SM is slow with some web
>> sites especially with muliple tabs like on YouTube, Google News,
>> LinkedIn, etc. For an example, it can go up to almost 3 GB of RAM with
>> about 10 HTML5 YouTube video tabs (not playing all at the same time,
>> just buffering them with one video playing). I don't have this problem
>> in MBP. I wonder if it is capped at 3 GB of RAM since it is a 32-bit
>> process even though I am using a 64-bit OS.
>>
>> I hope someone can answer my technical questions. Thank you for
>> reading. :)--
"The general, unable to control his irritation, will launch his men to
the assault like swarming ants, with the result that one-third of his
men are slain, while the town still remains untaken. Such are the
disastrous effects of a siege." --Chapter 3 in Sun Tzu's The Ancient Art
of War (Translated by Lionel Giles)
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\            If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
   / /\ /\ \            Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
  | |o   o| |         http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
10/12/2018 6:20:10 PM
You can have both x86 and x64 installed. There is no 64 Bit official 2.49
available. Everything Windows x64 is unoffical. 2.49.5 has fixes over 2.49.4
but the profiles are interchangable. Extensions should work in both versions.
The x64 version only supports Flash if you still use plugins. It will update
DOMi to 2.0.17.2. I never found the time to put the updated version on AMO.

If unsure do a profile backup and just try it. I also use NoScript 5.1.9
together with uBlock 1.16.4.4. You memory problems might well be tracker and
third party scripts running amok.

FRG

Ant wrote:
> [...]
>>> with one video playing). I don't have this problem in MBP. I wonder if it
>>> is capped at 3 GB of RAM since it is a 32-bit process even though I am
>>> using a 64-bit OS.
>>>
>>> I hope someone can answer my technical questions. Thank you for reading. :)--
> "The general, unable to control his irritation, will launch his men to the
> assault like swarming ants, with the result that one-third of his men are
> slain, while the town still remains untaken. Such are the disastrous effects
> of a siege." --Chapter 3 in Sun Tzu's The Ancient Art of War (Translated by
> Lionel Giles)
> Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this
> signature correctly.
>     /\___/\            If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
>    / /\ /\ \            Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
0
Frank
10/12/2018 8:26:19 PM
Thanks! I do use the updated Flash plugins from Adobe. Flash is rarely
used though. Oops, I meant to say UNofficial 64-bit. :(

On 10/12/2018 1:26 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> You can have both x86 and x64 installed. There is no 64 Bit official
> 2.49 available. Everything Windows x64 is unoffical. 2.49.5 has fixes
> over 2.49.4 but the profiles are interchangable. Extensions should work
> in both versions. The x64 version only supports Flash if you still use
> plugins. It will update DOMi to 2.0.17.2. I never found the time to put
> the updated version on AMO.
>
> If unsure do a profile backup and just try it. I also use NoScript 5.1.9
> together with uBlock 1.16.4.4. You memory problems might well be tracker
> and third party scripts running amok.
>
> FRG
>
> Ant wrote:
>> I can't have both 32-bit official (EXE installer) and and 64-bit
>> official (portable zip file) installed at the same time? I know I
>> can't run both of them at the same time. Also, will my old extensions
>> still work in the 64-bit portable version? Here is what I have right now:
>>
>> Last updated: Fri Oct 12 2018 11:19:44 GMT-0700 (Pacific Standard Time)
>> User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
>>
>> Extensions (enabled: 5)
>> * ColorfulTabs 31.1.9 (http://www.addongenie.com/colorfultabs)
>> * DOM Inspector 2.0.16.1-signed
>> (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/inspector/) (disabled)
>> * Open With 6.8.6 (https://github.com/darktrojan/openwith)
>> * PrefBar 7.1.1 (http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/)
>> * uBlock Origin 1.16.4.4 (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock)
>> * uBlock Origin Updater 1.6.4
>> (https://github.com/JustOff/ublock0-updater/)
>>

>> On 10/12/2018 1:43 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>> I have seen SeaMonkey hit a GB or 2 but not much more. I hope we are
>>> able to provide an x64 Windows build soon after the new infra is
>>> ready. You can try this one if you would like to take a test drive:
>>> http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/
>>> Please uninstall your x86 build first. The profiles are compatible.
>>> Mapi is not Working in x64 TB and SM Windows builds so send from
>>> explorer will fail. This is an unofficial build with no warranty but
>>> most of the the additional backports over 2.49.4 where done by me.
>>>
>>> FRG

Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was
taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered
that his luggage be taken away from underneath that tree and then
ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set on fire. Allah
sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient to burn a
single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Book 54,
Number 536