X on one tab

It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.

Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.

When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
new URL and start the process over again.

0
Keith
12/5/2017 8:45:08 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24017 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

Keith Nuttle wrote:
> It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
> only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
> when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.
>
> Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.
>
> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
> tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
> close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
> I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
> new URL and start the process over again.

When you reach the last tab click Home instead of the X.
0
Luis
12/5/2017 8:50:37 PM
Keith Nuttle wrote:

> It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
> only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
> when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.
>
> Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.
>
> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
> tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
> close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
> I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
> new URL and start the process over again.

The browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab setting still exists in FF57.
Been there since FF3.5+.  You've been using an add-on to modify behavior
for so long that you forgot the native behavior of the web browser (same
behavior exhibited in Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer and
likely the majority of their variants).

>From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries#Browser:
  browser. tabs. closeWindowWithLastTab
  Boolean
  (Firefox 3.5 and above) This preference controls whether closing the
  last tab, closes the window.
  True:  Close window when closing last tab (default)
  False: Do not close the window when closing last tab (pre Firefox 3.5
         behavior)
  Note:  Changing to False prevents Firefox from closing the window when
         you close the last tab such as with Ctrl+W, and subsequently
         from closing Firefox itself when closing the last tab of the
         last Firefox window.
0
VanguardLH
12/5/2017 9:05:07 PM
On 12/05/2017 03:50 PM, Luis wrote:
> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
>> only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
>> when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.
>>
>> Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.
>>
>> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
>> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the
>> existing tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on
>> that tab to close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and
>> so forth.  When I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of
>> allowing me to open a new URL and start the process over again.
>>
> When you reach the last tab click Home instead of the X.
Agreed.  Sounds like the OP can't plan his day well or got off meds.

Sorry that's harsh, but come on folks.  McDonald's coffee is HOT.
Driving Drunk is dangerous.   Hot stoves burn.

There are certain things you don't have to think about.

0
Big
12/5/2017 9:06:34 PM
Keith Nuttle wrote:
> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
> tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
> close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
> I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
> new URL and start the process over again.

In about:config check the setting of browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab
(if that setting still exists in your FF version).

-p

0
PietB
12/5/2017 9:17:43 PM
On 2017-12-05 4:06 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 12/05/2017 03:50 PM, Luis wrote:
>> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>> It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
>>> only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
>>> when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.
>>>
>>> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
>>> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the
>>> existing tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on
>>> that tab to close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and
>>> so forth.  When I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of
>>> allowing me to open a new URL and start the process over again.
>>>
>> When you reach the last tab click Home instead of the X.
> Agreed.  Sounds like the OP can't plan his day well or got off meds.
>
> Sorry that's harsh, but come on folks.  McDonald's coffee is HOT.
> Driving Drunk is dangerous.   Hot stoves burn.
>
> There are certain things you don't have to think about.

Hi Al,
Again, your posting address does not appear to be valid, so this message
is being posted here.

In the time since I sent you the message about your habit of posting
off-topic messages, and explained how to move discussions somewhere else
(like the mozilla.general), you have posted the above message which is
not only not an attempt to help, but bordering on a personal attack.

The purpose of warnings is to help you understand the rules before it
gets to the point of moderation. It's clear to me that you're either not
willing to follow the posting rules or you're unable to, and informing
you about the your habit of posting off-topic messages is having no
effect. I'm not going to keep sending you warnings every few months.

As per <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/cancellation/>, this
message is to inform you that your future posts will be held for
moderator approval before making it to the forum.

If you'd like to reply to this message, please email me with a valid
return address, thanks. Replies to this message posted in the newsgroup
will be removed.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 12/5/17 3:45 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
> only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
> when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.
>
> Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.
>
> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
> tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
> close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
> I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
> new URL and start the process over again.

About:config> browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab=false

--
Caver1

0
Caver1
12/5/2017 9:24:06 PM
On 12/5/17 3:45 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> It is bad enough that FF removed ability to the hide tab toolbar when
> only one tab is being used, but it is darn right infuriating that now
> when you click on the X on that single tab it closes Firefox.
>
> Is there any way to remove this annoying behavior.
>
> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
> tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
> close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
> I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
> new URL and start the process over again.

Well, my Home page is almost always the first tab and everything else
opens to the right of it. Then when I'm done closing the tabs, my home
page remains.

I usually select the home page tab, and use "Close OtherTabs" from the
context menu.

PietB's about:config tip still works in my Firefox 59.0a1.

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
On 12/5/2017 4:17 PM, PietB wrote:
> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> When reading some thing like a news page, I open a new tab as I find
>> interesting articles. The new tab is opened to the right of the existing
>> tab.  When I reach the bottom of that page, I click the X on that tab to
>> close that tab and read the article in the next tab, and so forth.  When
>> I reach the last tab, now it closes FF, instead of allowing me to open a
>> new URL and start the process over again.
>
> In about:config check the setting of browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab
> (if that setting still exists in your FF version).
>
> -p

Thanks!   It works in FF 57.

I do not pay any attention to how many tabs I have open, as I am more
interested in what I am reading that worring about if it is the last tab.

0
Keith