Won't run, won't quit...

Firefox won't open a page, it also won't completely quite.  Task
manager says that it's still running, and cannot close it.  I left for
about four weeks, and when I come back; this!  I cannot end whatever
part of firefox.exe is still running.  IE works fine, but firefox will
not find any page whatsoever.  HELP?

0
jarheadjohn45

Yep.  Even tried installing the latest version.  Wouldn't work; it said
the firefoxe.exe was still running, and I still could not close it.
Matter of fact, it's "running" right now.  I'm at a total loss here.
There is no "uninstall" feature, soooooooooo, huh?

0
jarheadjohn45
5/6/2006 4:45:33 PM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:
> Firefox won't open a page, it also won't completely quite.  Task
> manager says that it's still running, and cannot close it.  I left for
> about four weeks, and when I come back; this!  I cannot end whatever
> part of firefox.exe is still running.  IE works fine, but firefox will
> not find any page whatsoever.  HELP?

Did you try restarting your computer?
0
Aggro
5/6/2006 4:46:09 PM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yep.  Even tried installing the latest version.  Wouldn't work; it said
> the firefoxe.exe was still running, and I still could not close it.
> Matter of fact, it's "running" right now.  I'm at a total loss here.
> There is no "uninstall" feature, soooooooooo, huh?

If you're running Windows XP:
Try doing a System Restore to a restore point before all this happened,
and then reboot.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:  sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Steven
5/6/2006 5:11:56 PM
_jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com_ spoke thusly on 06/05/2006 12:37 PM:
> Firefox won't open a page, it also won't completely quite.  Task
> manager says that it's still running, and cannot close it.  I left for
> about four weeks, and when I come back; this!  I cannot end whatever
> part of firefox.exe is still running.  IE works fine, but firefox will
> not find any page whatsoever.  HELP?

Do you have a firewall?
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

0
jarheadjohn45
5/6/2006 5:19:58 PM
Yes, I've had a firewall since long before I installed Firefox.

0
jarheadjohn45
5/6/2006 5:21:47 PM
_jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com_ spoke thusly on 06/05/2006 1:21 PM:
> Yes, I've had a firewall since long before I installed Firefox.

Please quote the text you are replying to. Read these:
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

What firewall do you have?
Which version of Firefox do you have?
Which version of Firefox does your firewall say you have?
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
5/6/2006 5:24:02 PM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:

> Firefox won't open a page, it also won't completely quite.  Task
> manager says that it's still running, and cannot close it.  I left for
> about four weeks, and when I come back; this!  I cannot end whatever
> part of firefox.exe is still running.  IE works fine, but firefox will
> not find any page whatsoever.  HELP?

while you were away, FF probably updated itself.  So, to open a web
page, check your firewall settings, and make sure its accepting the
NEW FF.  Or, better yet, remove the FF setting in your firewall.

When you close FF, sometimes it still running.  Eventhough you don't
see it, its still running in the background.  One way to end this is
to bring up the Task Manager [ctrl+alt+del] and end it that way.  Does
this solve your problem?

--
How to Get a Life
Difficulty Level: Hard

0
jarheadjohn45
5/6/2006 5:30:45 PM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:
> Oh Joy!!!!!!!  Yeah, that's a dream come true.  I'm not about to do a
> full system restore.

It's easy.  I'm not talking about restoring your system from backup
disks or backup tape.  I am just talking about restoring your system to
a previous checkpoint that Windows XP automatically saved for you.
Windows XP sets aside about 50 MB of your hard disk storage as automatic
checkpoints of previous configurations of your drivers, Registry, etc.

If you have Windows XP, you can find the System Restore application in
the subfolder Accessories\System Tools.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:  sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Steven
5/6/2006 5:34:06 PM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how to access a specific application through my norton
> firewall.  Hell, I'm not even sure how to see what version of Firefox I
> have.  Right clicking on it and clicking properties doesn't even show
> it.  I'm at a loss here.

Norton is notorious for not recognizing an updated version of FF and
blocking it. To access what gwtc was talking about you need to go into
program controls and you will prob. find more than one entry for Firefox
....delete all of them and when you next open FF you will get a prompt
asking about access to the internet ..make sure "permit" is the choice
highlighted and click ok after checkboxing "always use this action".

To find out which version of FF you have go to Help on the toolbar and
then "about Mozilla Firefox" and if you have the current version you
will see Firefox 1.5.0.3 ..if you have that version then it was updated
while you were away and your Norton firewall is prob. blocking that
version while still "allowing" the previous version which isn't around
anymore!

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
5/6/2006 5:37:20 PM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how to access a specific application through my norton
> firewall.  Hell, I'm not even sure how to see what version of Firefox I
> have.  Right clicking on it and clicking properties doesn't even show
> it.  I'm at a loss here.

Did you try:

Disconnect physically from the Internet.  Unplug your computer from the
Internet.
Then reboot but go into Safe Mode (you know, hit F8 or whatever at the
right moment).
Then disable your firewall altogether (that's why I asked you to
physically unplug from the Internet first).
Then see if you can start FF normally.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:  sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Steven
5/6/2006 5:53:30 PM
On 5/6/2006 10:30 AM jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com scribbled:

> I'm not sure how to access a specific application through my norton
> firewall.  Hell, I'm not even sure how to see what version of Firefox I
> have.  Right clicking on it and clicking properties doesn't even show
> it.  I'm at a loss here.

go to menu
help>about FF for version.

You were requested to quote previous posts with your responses, as is
preferred in this group.
If you can't find a fault with the firewall, try closing all instances
of  Firefox via Task Manager.
Search for file parent.lock (search for hidden files).
If it exists, delete it.
Don't know curent status of the parent.lock problem but it has been
known to cause similar symptoms.

Just a stab...
0
jg
5/7/2006 12:58:44 AM
When Fx was updated,  the settings from you firewall was updated?.

Perhaps Fx crash and leave parent.lock in the profile folder, delete the
file and try again.

If parent.lock exist before an attempt of start, fx report an existing
instance running.

jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com escribi�:
> Firefox won't open a page, it also won't completely quite.  Task
> manager says that it's still running, and cannot close it.  I left for
> about four weeks, and when I come back; this!  I cannot end whatever
> part of firefox.exe is still running.  IE works fine, but firefox will
> not find any page whatsoever.  HELP?

0
gato2005_cl
5/7/2006 1:05:34 AM
jarheadjohn45@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how to access a specific application through my norton
> firewall.  Hell, I'm not even sure how to see what version of Firefox I
> have.  Right clicking on it and clicking properties doesn't even show
> it.  I'm at a loss here.

When posting from Google simply clicking on "Reply" does not quote the
previous text. Click on  "show options" at the top of the article, then
click on the  "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers.

--
Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
*Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

Irwin

Won't send, won't receive, won't do anything but send me rejection messages!
I keep getting messages such as these: Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum c= onnections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to re= duce the number of cached connections. Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SM= TP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again. I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one = of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, s= o there is no way...

Firefox won't load, won't open web pages
I've had no trouble with FireFox until recently. Now here is what's happening: Firefox won't load, and won't open web pages. Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.50817, faulting module msctf.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000197db. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. There is, of course, no help available from Microsoft. _Linda Amar_ spoke thusly on 02/06/2006 8:17 PM: > I've had no trouble with FireFox until recently. Now here is what's > happening: Fire...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

DS won't load, DSrepair won't run, errors -618, -663
One of our servers running NW 6.5 sp5, edir 8.7.3.8 inexplicably crashed, no abend or errors, just total lockup. When restarted, it can't load DS, giving this error, "Could not open local database. It is inconsistent, try to correct the error with DSRepair" With DSRepair -a loaded, repair local database fails to start and the log states, "Insufficient space or missing files, error -618. Unable to update repair status error -663" Upon exiting DSRepair, I get a big red box advising, "Unable to set DS database state for the current operation. Try runnin...

External links won't open if Firefox isn't running
When Firefox is not running and I click on a link in an email or on my desktop or quicklaunch toolbar, Firefox will open, but the tab is blank--it does not open the web page associated with the link. What setting must I change or what fix is there so this works like Firefox 2.0 did? On Jan 26, 10:31=A0pm, dan...@charter.net wrote: > When Firefox is not running and I click on a link in an email or on my > desktop or quicklaunch toolbar, Firefox will open, but the tab is > blank--it does not open the web page associated with the link. What > setting must I change or what fi...

Thunderbird won't store passwords, won't quit checking every 10 minutes.
This has happened before with the Mozilla Suite, and I hoped Thunderbird would solve the problem. I have unchecked the box (Tools/Account Settings/) to check mail and have even tried setting it to 120 minutes. It still keeps asking for a password every 10 minutes or so. There are no passwords stored for any POP accounts, only SMTP. -- Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged Tools by Steve Bottorff www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com Remove REMOVE from address when replying Steve B. wrote: > This has happened before with the Mozilla Suite, and I hoped...

Firefox won't consistently display my webpage correctly; won't always go back
Name: Jean Everett Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox won't consistently display my webpage correctly; won't always go back Comments: Not sure if I'm sending this to the right place, but all other options were far too confusing and time-consuming for me to work with (I'm a botanist, not a computer (insert polite word for geek). I maintain very simple Netscape Composer webpages for the courses I teach (here's one: http://www.cofc.edu/~everettj/BIOL301.html. The image banners at the top often don't display in Firefox. I can get them in Internet Explorer,...

2007 version of firefox won't start! & version 2006 of thunderbird won't start
Name: Robert Calhoon Email: rjcalhoonatcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: 2007 version of firefox won't start! & version 2006 of thunderbird won't start Comments: sip these two go back to earlier version wait till starting gets fixed broke on office machine and home 4 pc's broke too. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Firefox crashes on start
I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've looked up and down google to try and find the answer to no avail. Suddenly, today, firefox stopped working. I was doing some maintenance on the computer and did the following: upgraded Spyware doctor and rescanned upgraded Registry Mechanie, did a registry fix and a computer optimization I have to assume the problem comes from there, since it was working fine before that. The first crash report I got referenced moveplayer@movenetworks.com. Since then, they've been different. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, nothing w...

Firefox won't recognize flash player plugin and won't re-install flash plugin
Name: Scott Coppersmith Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox won't recognize flash player plugin and won't re-install flash plugin Comments: Firefox 3 beta 4 "forgets" that the flash plugin is installed and when it tries to autoinstall I get the error "install-977..rdf (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist" It started doing this with Beta 3 after I installed the DownloadHelper add-on. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 ...

won't close, then won't re-open
Name: Murray Product: Firefox Summary: won't close, then won't re-open Comments: For several weeks MF wouldn't completely close and was constantly running in the background, but then wouldn't reopen. I went online looking for a solution, but you don't have one. So. Bye bye. I'm done with you. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1064 Safari/532.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but ...

XP won't run new Win validation, can't run WU
XP Home w/ IE8 -- just went to Windows Update for the hell of it (admin account) and for the first time in a long time, WU claims I need to validate Windows. Fine by me, it's genuine, but the validation ActiveX control is failing and neither validation nor Update will run. The IE8 Info Bar is not popping up to alert me about the ActiveX problem, and if I click the "alternate validation method" button, a popup states that all ActiveX controls are "Passed" with the exception of the Windows Genuine Advantage control, which freezes as "checking". ...

Module won't die! Page won't die!
Hi, I've got a module on my page...it's all blanked out...(remnant of the site before it deleted my desktop modules directory and I had to reinstall the modules) that is returning an error. So I tried to delete this module but it won't delete. So I then deleted the page and that worked...except I can't delete the page out of the recycle bin. Any help? Quick Tip, Go straight to the database. Note the tab name, module name and any extra information related to the modules content. 1. If content is stored in table (e.g. HtmlText) go to the modules Table search for deleted modules (IsD...

Bookmarks won't save, history won't record.
Name: Peter Styles Email: dagrimdialer619athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Bookmarks won't save, history won't record. Comments: I'm on Windows Vista SP1, and using a custom built computer. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b1) Gecko/20081007 Firefox/3.1b1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - Won't run, won't quit... - mozilla.support.firefox