Windows Version vs. Linux Version

I've noticed one minor difference between the Win and Linux versions.  In
the Windows version, if I click on the navigation bar's url part the entire
contents of the bar are selected and typing clears the selection and
replaces it with whatever I type.  In the Linux version on my dual boot
machine, this doesn't happen.  Nothing is highlighted and whatever I type
gets appended to whatever is already there.  Is this the way it is supposed
to be?  No big deal -- just curious.

Thank you

0
Jack
3/13/2007 5:26:52 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

Jack Gillis wrote:
> I've noticed one minor difference between the Win and Linux versions.  In
> the Windows version, if I click on the navigation bar's url part the entire
> contents of the bar are selected and typing clears the selection and
> replaces it with whatever I type.  In the Linux version on my dual boot
> machine, this doesn't happen.  Nothing is highlighted and whatever I type
> gets appended to whatever is already there.  Is this the way it is supposed
> to be?  No big deal -- just curious.
>
> Thank you

I haven't tried it but there's a setting in about:config:
browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll
that's set to true in windows. Look and see what's it set to in Linux.
(not in front of a Linux box atm)

--
100% money back guarantee!
If at any time you are dissatisfied with the performance of your Mozilla
clay wrote:
> Jack Gillis wrote:
>> I've noticed one minor difference between the Win and Linux versions.
>> In the Windows version, if I click on the navigation bar's url part
>> the entire contents of the bar are selected and typing clears the
>> selection and replaces it with whatever I type.  In the Linux version
>> on my dual boot machine, this doesn't happen.  Nothing is highlighted
>> and whatever I type gets appended to whatever is already there.  Is
>> this the way it is supposed to be?  No big deal -- just curious.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> I haven't tried it but there's a setting in about:config:
> browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll
> that's set to true in windows. Look and see what's it set to in Linux.
> (not in front of a Linux box atm)

In my Linux Fx 1.5.0.11pre it is set to default/boolean/false. Clicking the
URL bar once places the cursor at the mouse pointer. Clicking twice selects it
all.

I guess whatever value is "right" for you is whatever _you_ prefer; but I
suppose it would be easier to set consistent settings across all your machines
& usernames.

Hitting Ctrl-L selects and highlights the whole URL Bar. Anything printable
then typed replaces its contents.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Arbitrary systems, pl.n.:
	Systems about which nothing general can be said, save "nothing
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> clay wrote:
>> Jack Gillis wrote:
>>> I've noticed one minor difference between the Win and Linux versions.
>>> In the Windows version, if I click on the navigation bar's url part the
>>> entire contents of the bar are selected and typing clears the selection
>>> and replaces it with whatever I type.  In the Linux version on my dual
>>> boot machine, this doesn't happen.  Nothing is highlighted and whatever
>>> I type gets appended to whatever is already there.  Is this the way it
>>> is supposed to be?  No big deal -- just curious.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>
>> I haven't tried it but there's a setting in about:config:
>> browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll
>> that's set to true in windows. Look and see what's it set to in Linux.
>> (not in front of a Linux box atm)
>>

> In my Linux Fx 1.5.0.11pre it is set to default/boolean/false. Clicking
> the URL bar once places the cursor at the mouse pointer. Clicking twice
> selects it all.
>
> I guess whatever value is "right" for you is whatever _you_ prefer; but I
> suppose it would be easier to set consistent settings across all your
> machines & usernames.
>
> Hitting Ctrl-L selects and highlights the whole URL Bar. Anything
> printable then typed replaces its contents.

For mouse-bound users, there's also an extension named
FirefoxClearURLButton.  You can put its button on the toolbar next to the
address box and a click clears the field.

--
Blinky

0
Blinky
3/13/2007 8:17:14 AM
"Tony Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net> wrote in message

Snip

> I guess whatever value is "right" for you is whatever _you_ prefer; but I
> suppose it would be easier to set consistent settings across all your
> machines & usernames.

Yes, that sums it up very well.

Thanks.

0
Jack
3/13/2007 3:12:02 PM
"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed one minor difference between the Win and Linux versions.  In
> the Windows version, if I click on the navigation bar's url part the
> entire contents of the bar are selected and typing clears the selection
> and replaces it with whatever I type.  In the Linux version on my dual
> boot machine, this doesn't happen.  Nothing is highlighted and whatever I
> type gets appended to whatever is already there.  Is this the way it is
> supposed to be?  No big deal -- just curious.
>
> Thank you

Thank you to all who responded.

0
Jack

Diff between windows version and linux version
In the windows version, I can leave messages on server "until I delete them", but the linux version says "until I delete them or move them out of the INBOX" I guess that means if I use a filter to move a message into another folder, the message will be deleted from the server? If so, is there any way to get the windows function in the linux version? Thanks Pete Holsberg wrote: > In the windows version, I can leave messages on server "until I delete > them", but the linux version says "until I delete them or move them out > of th...

New Firefox versions should result in larger file versions that previous firefox versions
Name: Jeff Email: jturner_at_citadel.com Product: Firefox Summary: New Firefox versions should result in larger file versions that previous firefox versions Comments: I work for a company whose software does enterprise vulnerability management. I work with Windows and Windows applications. One of the things we do is install patches to products where needed. We rely on file versions because they are the best bet to know which version of an application is on the system (files are generally where the vulnerabilities reside). If a system�s registry gets �restored� or rolled ...

linux version is slower compared to windows version
Name: deepak Email: deepc01atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: linux version is slower compared to windows version Comments: i m using ubuntu 8.10 and have upgraded to firefox 3.5.2 but this version of version of firefox seems to be slower compared to the windows version. when i click any image(2mb in size) to enlarge it the linux version take time to display the image and after when it is displayed, when i right-click to save the image on my hard-disk, it takes the same amount of time to save. this is not the case with the windows version. image is instantly saved after...

XE3 Developer Version vs. ToGo Version vs. full IB XE3 Version
I started out with the developer edition in Delphi XE6. Then I purchased and installed the Interbase XE3 ToGo edition. However, as I had problems tracking the steps in the Interbase XE3 Quick Start Guide with the Developer Edition and the ToGo Edition, I purchased and installed the regular Interbase XE3 edition. Now, I do not know what version is running when I click on the Server (the Server box only contains the bottom label of “properties” and does not show the two buttons for “Server Properties” an d “Guardian Properties”. Then when I attempt to login to SYSDBA with the password “mast...

You are targeting Windows version 0x06010000, but your SDK only supports up to version 0x06000000
Title: You are targeting Windows version 0x06010000, but your SDK only supports up to version 0x06000000 Post: I am attaching my original report (to bugzilla - Bug 665343) and questions (text below). Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to offer. I am new to this, so I need help in finding all of the right resources and using them correctly. Any kind of advise is welcome so that I can get up to speed. Thank You. Here is what I have so far: (havesofar)=================>>>>> Hello! I am not sure if I am directing this question to the right place...

Portable versions (Linux and Windows) to carry all on USBmemories and run on both Linux and Windows
Name: Luis Lumbreras Picazo Email: LuisdotLumbrerasdotPicazoatgmaildotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: Portable versions (Linux and Windows) to carry all on USBmemories and run on both Linux and Windows Comments: I am looking for something extra, not only portable, also multiplatform: Lets say: I want to carry Thunderbird on a USBmemory and be able to run (obviously on Linux running the Linux Portable Version and on Windows running the Windows Portable Version) it in all Linux and also on all Windows so the next steps are possible to be done in secuence: -Start Windows ...

Firefox: Differences between Linux & Windows versions
I have a questions about Firefox under Linux [MDK 10.0/KDE]: On Firefox (0.93/0.10) under *Linux* the standard toolbar icons look larger (mainly vertically) then they do in the equivalent Windows versions. The effect is to make the GUI appear 'chunky' and not particularly attractive. In comparison, the toolbar set up for Konqueror (KDE browser) is far more pleasant to look at and use. Is there a way, perhaps via some javascript file, to alter the size of the toolbar icons OR is there some other Linux configuration issue in force here, not FF itself? Rob Strover wrote...

Runtime Version vs Version
Hello, When I am viewing the Properties for a Reference dll in my Reference folder I see that there are two versions for the file.  One says "Runtime Version" and the other "Version".  What is the difference between these two? Thank you,Ryan It may simply be the Assembly Version and File Version. These are set independantly in the application properties in the compiler. Mine are always the same...but you could version them independantly  I'm just a little confused.  I thought I converted my VS2005 2.0 application to VS2008 3.5 succe...

ASA-Versions an Windows-Versions
Hi I have some questions to ASA-Versions and Windows-Versions: Is ASA 9.0.1 compatible to Windows Vista? Will it be compatible to Windows 2008? I suppose, ASA 10.0.1 is compatible to Windows Vista? Will it also be compatible to Windows 2008? If, not, will there be an ASA 10.x, that is compatible to Windows 2008? When will the ASA 11 come? Thanks in advance, Alex Alex Wittler wrote: > Hi > > I have some questions to ASA-Versions and Windows-Versions: > > Is ASA 9.0.1 compatible to Windows Vista? Will it be compatible to Windows > 2008? >...

VS version and Framework version
IE web controls look great and there are obviously many developers using them. But the fact is Microsft say they are not supporting them, and on one page claim "This product is only compatible with machine running builds of the .NET Framework (1.0.3705.0) and Visual Studio .net (7.0.9466)". In help|about of Visual Studio I find I am running framework build 1.1.4322 and VS 7.1.3088 This is on My home PC, which has an upgrade to the latest version of VS. At work I have a latest version of VS. What are my chances of using IE web controls on both machines? David David, ...

Running Windows version of Firefox undr Wine on Linux...
Name: Philip Stephens Email: pstephensatserenitycomputingdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Running Windows version of Firefox undr Wine on Linux... Comments: I am rather disappointed to see that the Linux version of Firefox is so much slower than the Windows version, even running under Wine on Linux it is faster than the native Linux version. As a software developer I appreciate the trade-offs, but Linux is a growing market segment, and will become increasingly significant. In reality, applications tend to decide the platform people will use. Today the web browser is increa...

hi, I have wrongly installed the dutch version of Firefox and I now want to change the language to english. I downloaded the eng version but whenever I over write the eng version and i restart firefox
Name: Henrietta Email: henrietta1dotkinnobathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: hi, I have wrongly installed the dutch version of Firefox and I now want to change the language to english. I downloaded the eng version but whenever I over write the eng version and i restart firefox, the dutch version appears. anyone can help? thanks Henrietta Comments: see summary Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a respons...

How to getting firefox support let by default without version=1.7 or version=1.8?
LS0gDQogICAgICAgICDmraToh7QNCuekvA0K572X5YuH5YiaDQpZb3Vycw0KICAgIHNpbmNlcmVs eSwNCllvbmdnYW5nIEx1bw0K ...

use windows plug-ins in linux/unix versions of firefox
it should be possible 2 use some of the wine(www.winehq.com) code to provide more support for windows-only plug-ins in linux versions of firefox,or to code some sort of wrapper plug-in between the installed wine and the installed firefox. what do you think ? regards lordmicr0n(); ...

Web resources about - Windows Version vs. Linux Version - mozilla.support.firefox

The Windows Blog

Windows 10 November update was pulled for forgetting privacy settings; it’s now back
The mystery behind the removal of the Windows 10 November Update , version 1511, has been revealed. Last week Microsoft received reports that, ...

Microsoft confirms the Windows 10 November Update WAS pulled and this is why
Over the weekend we spotted that the Windows 10 November Update (aka Threshold 2) had been removed from the Media Creation Tool (MCT), and had ...

Microsoft Black Friday deals that Windows 10 fans will love
Microsoft’s Black Friday offer includes discounts on several devices and also a special sale on digital products available from its content store. ...

Windows at 30: Microsoft’s biggest blunders
Windows at 30: Microsoft’s biggest OS goofs Image by Johnathan Nightingale via Flickr In the high-stakes, high-paced world of tech, surviving ...

Xiaomi’s latest iPad mini clone runs Android or Windows 10
... it has a neat trick up its sleeve. The 7.9-inch Mi Pad 2, which would look right at home in the Apple Store, can run either Android or Windows ...

Turkish Consulate in Moscow Was Stoned and Had Bottles Thown Through It’ Windows
Over five hundred people gathered at Turkish embassy in Moscow to protest and throw stones, bottles, paint cans and even eggs into the building ...

Media Creation Tool Succumbs to Windows 10 Update
In the November update, an alternate Windows 10 installation method is pulled while some users complain about disappearing software.