window.open() opens new window - FF configured to open in tab

Firefox 19.0
Windows XP Pro SP-3

Example site URL: http://www.pcconnection.com/
(I've hit this problem at many sites, however.)

Firefox is configured (enabled) as:

  Tools -> Options -> Tabs
  "Open new windows in a new tab instead" = Enabled

Presumably this means when a page tries to open a new window (another
instance of the web browser) that instead a new tab will appear in the
current window.  Works that way in IE8 (when "Always open popups in a
new tab" is enabled).

Go down the page and click on the "Site Help" link.  What I get is a new
window.  Per the attributes in the window.open(), not only do I get a
new window but it also has no toolbars.  That means there is no address
or location bar to show me the URL for the page.  This is how scammers
and malicious sites would pretend to open a page at the same site but,
nope, it was somewhere else.  I want that address bar to KNOW where is
that page being displayed there.  For FF (and IE), that means forcing
new windows (popups) to display in a tab so the existing address bar
shows the URL for that otherwise "secret" page.

Yes, I can look in the code for the "Site Help" link to get the
destination URL, which is:

javascript:void(window.open('http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Content/Help/Default.htm','SiteHelp','toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=770,height=575'))

to see the script opens a toolbar-less window at:

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Content/Help/Default.htm

I'd rather not have to dig into page code to figure out where is the
page in the new window.  I really don't want a new window, either, and
instead a new tab in the existing window.  It seems the "Open new
windows in a new tab instead" option in Firefox doesn't work.  This site
managed to escape that setting.

I can use Adblock Plus and define an element hiding rule, such as:

##A[href^="javascript:void(window.open("]

to eliminate any site that tries to script a void function (no return
value) the window.open() function.  If I figure out ABP's syntax then I
could enhance this to block regardless of what function name was used.
But that's not what I want.  I *do* want the link to work but I want the
document to load in a new tab, not in a new window.  I'd like Firefox to
obey its own setting to "Open new windows in a tab instead".

I read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction
and see mine is set to 2 (the default).  From what I interpret from that

- The features attribute is defined (toolbar=no) so the link does NOT
get diverted to open_newwindow's action (i.e., the window will open
regardless of the open_newwindow setting).
- However, for javascripted window.open(), it must NOT have the features
attribute defined or, conversely, this setting does not apply for a
Javascripted window.open() where the features attribute is defined.

The link DOES have the features attribute define in the Javascripted
window.open() so open_newwindow.restriction should not apply which means
it won't override the open_newwindow setting.

So we're back to the "Open new windows in a tab instead" setting
described by http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_newwindow.
Mine open_newwindow is set to 3 whose value is defined as "Open links,
that would normally open in a new window, in a new tab in the current
window (Default in Firefox 2.0 and newer)."  So it should work as
configured and shown in about:config.  The "Site Help" link which is a
javascripted window.open() having a non-blank 'features' attribute
should open in a new tab, NOT in a new window.

A remaining setting browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external is
defined as:

-1 = open_newwindow applies to external links (default)
3 = open external links in a new tab
2 = open external links in a new window
1 = open external links in active tab

Mine is set to -1 (the default) which means clicking on a URL link in
some app, like an e-mail client, will open a new tab in an existing
instance of Firefox (or open a new instance of Firefox if there isn't
one).  That one I might change later (to 2), but for now all the config
settings are correct for opening a javascripted window.open() in a new
tab, NOT in a new window.  Be nice if Firefox honored that setting.
0
VanguardLH
2/26/2013 11:01:31 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 9 followers. Post Follow

VanguardLH wrote:

> Firefox 19.0 Windows XP Pro SP-3
>
> Example site URL: http://www.pcconnection.com/
> (I've hit this problem at many sites, however.)
>
> Firefox is configured (enabled) as:
>
>   Tools -> Options -> Tabs "Open new windows in a new tab instead" =
>   Enabled
>
> Presumably this means ...when a page tries to open a new window (another
> instance of the web browser) that instead a new tab will appear in the
> current window.  Works that way in IE8 (when "Always open popups in a
> new tab" is enabled).

There is a difference, I think, between a "new window" and a "popup."

> Go down the page and click on the "Site Help" link.  What I get is a new
> window.  Per the attributes in the window.open(), not only do I get a
> new window but it also has no toolbars.

This situation is nothing new. Sites have been using JavaScript to open
toolbarless windows for eons. This is not restricted to Fx 19, as I see
the same in both Fx 16 and 17. I also don't think this can be accurately
described as a "new instance" of the browser - such as you would get by
doing a Shift-Click on a link.

I also looked at your "Site Help" with Opera (floating popup window within
the main window, can't be dragged outside of it), and Chromium and IceCat
(new toolbarless window same as Fx). [No IE here; not using Windows]

--
   -bts
Beauregard
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 05:01:31 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

> Firefox 19.0
> Windows XP Pro SP-3
>
> Example site URL: http://www.pcconnection.com/
> (I've hit this problem at many sites, however.)
>
> Firefox is configured (enabled) as:
>
>   Tools -> Options -> Tabs
>   "Open new windows in a new tab instead" = Enabled
>
> Presumably this means when a page tries to open a new window (another
> instance of the web browser) that instead a new tab will appear in the
> current window.  Works that way in IE8 (when "Always open popups in a
> new tab" is enabled).

This Mozilla support page explains it
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab-preferences-and-settings

   Note: If you have chosen to open pages in new tabs, Firefox will
   ignore this option and will open a new window from a link if the
   page author specified that the new window should have a specific
   size, because some pages can only be displayed correctly at a
   specific size.

> Go down the page and click on the "Site Help" link.  What I get is a new
> window.  Per the attributes in the window.open(), not only do I get a
> new window but it also has no toolbars.  That means there is no address
> or location bar to show me the URL for the page.  This is how scammers
> and malicious sites would pretend to open a page at the same site but,
> nope, it was somewhere else.  I want that address bar to KNOW where is
> that page being displayed there.  For FF (and IE), that means forcing
> new windows (popups) to display in a tab so the existing address bar
> shows the URL for that otherwise "secret" page.

Here, Firefox also shows the address bar on the new window.
Screen-shot:  http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/1130/ffaddressinnewwindow200.gif

For FF, that means having the preference setting
"dom.disable_window_open_feature.location" set to true.
In FF 19.0, this appears to be the default setting.

> Yes, I can look in the code for the "Site Help" link to get the
> destination URL, which is:
>
> javascript:void(window.open('http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Content/Help/Default.htm','SiteHelp','toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=770,height=575'))
>
> to see the script opens a toolbar-less window at:
>
> http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Content/Help/Default.htm
>
> I'd rather not have to dig into page code to figure out where is the
> page in the new window.

I see the address on the new window, without needing to dig
into the code.

--
Kind regards
Ralph
On 2/26/2013 6:01 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Firefox 19.0
> Windows XP Pro SP-3
>
> Example site URL: http://www.pcconnection.com/
> (I've hit this problem at many sites, however.)
>
> Firefox is configured (enabled) as:
>
>    Tools -> Options -> Tabs
>    "Open new windows in a new tab instead" = Enabled

For what it's worth, with the same setting in Tools > Option > Tabs,
that the "Site Help" link opens in a new tab for me.

Dave Pyles

0
Dave
2/26/2013 2:24:34 PM
On 2/26/2013 5:01 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> javascripted window.open() having a non-blank 'features' attribute
> should open in a new tab, NOT in a new window.
>
> A remaining setting browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external is
> defined as:
>
> -1 = open_newwindow applies to external links (default)
> 3 = open external links in a new tab
> 2 = open external links in a new window
> 1 = open external links in active tab
>
> Mine is set to -1 (the default) which means clicking on a URL link in
> some app, like an e-mail client, will open a new tab in an existing
> instance of Firefox (or open a new instance of Firefox if there isn't
> one).  That one I might change later (to 2), but for now all the config
> settings are correct for opening a javascripted window.open() in a new
> tab, NOT in a new window.  Be nice if Firefox honored that setting.

I believe you can resolve this issue by setting your Javascript to
disallow opening and closing windows.

0
Ron
2/26/2013 2:32:16 PM
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Firefox 19.0
> Windows XP Pro SP-3
>
> Example site URL: http://www.pcconnection.com/
> (I've hit this problem at many sites, however.)
>
> Firefox is configured (enabled) as:
>
>   Tools -> Options -> Tabs
>   "Open new windows in a new tab instead" = Enabled
>
> Presumably this means when a page tries to open a new window (another
> instance of the web browser) that instead a new tab will appear in the
> current window.  Works that way in IE8 (when "Always open popups in a
> new tab" is enabled).
>
> Go down the page and click on the "Site Help" link.  What I get is a
> new window.

To have even window.open() follow the setting you list above, use
about:config to also set browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0.

> Per the attributes in the window.open(), not only do I
> get a new window but it also has no toolbars.

To change that, set dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar to true.

> That means there is no address or location bar to show me the URL for
> the page.

For this, set dom.disable_window_open_feature.location to true.

You may want to change other dom.disable_window_open_feature.* prefs to
true as well, though none of them should matter once window.open()
can't open new windows.
0
UTF
2/26/2013 5:43:25 PM
Ron Hunter wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Example site URL: http://www.pcconnection.com/
>>
>> Firefox is configured (enabled) as:
>>
>>    Tools -> Options -> Tabs
>>    "Open new windows in a new tab instead" = Enabled
>>
>> Presumably this means when a page tries to open a new window (another
>> instance of the web browser) that instead a new tab will appear in the
>> current window.
>>
>> Go down the page and click on the "Site Help" link.  What I get is a new
>> window.  ...  I really don't want a new window, either, and
>> instead a new tab in the existing window.  It seems the "Open new
>> windows in a new tab instead" option in Firefox doesn't work.
>> ... Be nice if Firefox honored that setting.
>
> I believe you can resolve this issue by setting your Javascript to
> disallow opening and closing windows.

Under Tools -> Options -> Content -> Javascript: Advanced button, there
are 3 options:

  Allows script to:
  X  Move or resize popup windows
     Raise or lower windows
  X  Disable or replace context menus

X = option was enabled.

I disabled the first option (Move or resize popup windows) and revisited
the site to click on the Site Help link (that uses a Javascripted
window.open() to open a new window).  Didn't help.  I still got a new
window opened for the site help page.

I could disable Javascript entiredly to block this bad behavior but that
means not seeing that page.  I *do* want the contents of that page (at
the example site and other sites where I've seen the misbehavior).  I
want that page to open in a new tab, not in a new window.

I'm not trying to block the new page.  I'm trying to get Firefox to
honor its "Open new windows in a tab instead" option.
0
VanguardLH
2/27/2013 1:45:16 PM
�Q� wrote:

> To have even window.open() follow the setting you list above, use
> about:config to also set browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction

Mine is set to 2 which is defined as:

2
Divert all links according to browser.link.open_newwindow, unless the
new window specifies how it should be displayed. (Default in Firefox 1.5
and later, in SeaMonkey 2.1a3 and later, and Camino 1.5)

This includes:

    All links with target="_blank".
    JavaScript calls to window.open() without the "features" parameter
    (3rd parameter).

This does not include:

    JavaScript calls to window.open() with the "features" parameter (3rd
    parameter).

The javascript:void(open.window...) function *did* specify how to open
the new windows (i.e., the features parameter was non-blank).  So it
should NOT be covered by the open_newwindow.restriction setting.

The Javascripted window open was:

javascript:void(
  window.open('http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Content/Help/Default.htm',
  'SiteHelp',
  'toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=770,height=575'
  )
)

The features parameter (3rd parameter) is non-blank so this instance
should be covered by the "This does not include" clause for a value 2
for the open_newwindow.restriction setting.  It is this that Mozilla
appears not to honor.

I did try changing this to 0 for a value and, yep, the window would open
as a new tab.  But that means the "Open new window in a tab instead" is
not being honored.

As I read through the description for open_newwindows.restriction (with
my comments bold italicized between the starred slashes):

2
/*That's the value I had.*/

Divert all links according to browser.link.open_newwindow, unless the
new window specifies how it should be displayed. (Default in Firefox 1.5
and later, in SeaMonkey 2.1a3 and later, and Camino 1.5)
/*Yep, the window.open() specifies how it should be displayed.*/

This includes:

    All links with target="_blank".
    JavaScript calls to window.open() without the "features" parameter
    (3rd parameter).
    /*Oh oh, mine is WITH a [non-blank] features parameter.*/

This does not include:

    JavaScript calls to window.open() with the "features" parameter (3rd
    parameter).
    /*Mine has features specified so it should be excluded from any
    handling by this setting.*/

Following the logic for their description of this parameter with a
value = 2, and with my case having the features parameter specified, the
entire "unless" clause is voided.  That should mean all Javascripted
window.open() with a non-blank features parameter should "Divert all
links according to browser.link.open_newwindow".  The "unless" doesn't
apply in this case.  This setting condenses into:

Divert all links according to open_newwindow
unless features not specified

The entire "This does not include" is actually superfluous since it is
merely the converse of the 2nd condition of the "unless" clause.  Maybe
they meant to write it differently but I can only go by what they
document.

For now, yes, I can set open_newwindow.restriction = 0 but should I
really have to?  Doing this is further proof that the description of the
"Open new windows in a new tab instead" option is false or incomplete.
The uset sets this option.  It doesn't work.  It seems along with this
option, if enabled, should be shown or enabled a sub-option for this
open_newwindow.restriction setting.  After all, they are dependent.

It's bad enough that the config UI doesn't expose all the settings.
Users also have to dig into about:config to look at settings with
absolutely no descriptions to them.

>> Per the attributes in the window.open(), not only do I
>> get a new window but it also has no toolbars.
>
> To change that, set dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar to true.

That worked to keep a toolbar in the new window.

>> That means there is no address or location bar to show me the URL for
>> the page.
>
> For this, set dom.disable_window_open_feature.location to true.

That was already set to "true".  This complaint was in error.  I didn't
notice there was a location bar (aka address bar) in the new window
because it was a thin gray bar with black & gray text (black for the
URL's domain, gray for the path and parameters).  Getting a new window
was distracting enough so I focused on that; however, there was a
non-editable location bar to show me the page's location.

Since the value=2 for open_newwindow.restriction doesn't work as
described and I've changed it to 0 (so open_newwindow always gets used),
this setting is moot (but I've kept it) since I'll have the location bar
in the main window and have the new window open as a tab instead -- just
like the option in the config UI claims.

> You may want to change other dom.disable_window_open_feature.* prefs to
> true as well, though none of them should matter once window.open()
> can't open new windows.

So how do you know all these settings?  "Learn by burn" method?  I can
go visit:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Preferences

but that doesn't really tell me which preference setting to go read.

I see the Tools -> Options -> Sync option supposedly lets me keep a copy
of all these preferences so they'll be that way on other hosts where I
run Firefox.  Alas, it looks like Sync doesn't stay running.  Everytime
I go to look at that option (after having exited and later reloaded
Firefox), I have to login again.  Not showing the user that they are
logged into their Mozilla sync account means, to the user, that they are
not logged in to do any synchronizing.  Might have to go back to using
Xmarks.

Thanks for all your help with digging into about:config for settings not
exposed in the config UI for Firefox to make changes sot the "Open new
windows in new tabs instead" actually does what it says.
0
VanguardLH
2/27/2013 2:53:09 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:53:09 -0600
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> =C2=BBQ=C2=AB wrote:
>=20
> > To have even window.open() follow the setting you list above, use
> > about:config to also set browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to
> > 0.
>=20
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction
>=20
> Mine is set to 2 which is defined as:
>=20
> 2
> Divert all links according to browser.link.open_newwindow, unless the
> new window specifies how it should be displayed. (Default in Firefox
> 1.5 and later, in SeaMonkey 2.1a3 and later, and Camino 1.5)
>=20
> This includes:
>=20
>     All links with target=3D"_blank".
>     JavaScript calls to window.open() without the "features"
> parameter (3rd parameter).=20
>=20
> This does not include:
>=20
>     JavaScript calls to window.open() with the "features" parameter
> (3rd parameter).=20
>=20
> The javascript:void(open.window...) function *did* specify how to open
> the new windows (i.e., the features parameter was non-blank).  So it
> should NOT be covered by the open_newwindow.restriction setting. =20

A setting of 2 for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction means that
window.open() called with features parameter is *not* included among
the links are handled (diverted to tabs) in accordance with your
browser.link.open_newwindow pref.  This was the behavior you
experienced.

0
UTF
2/27/2013 3:50:30 PM
�Q� wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:53:09 -0600
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> �Q� wrote:
>>
>>> To have even window.open() follow the setting you list above, use
>>> about:config to also set browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to
>>> 0.
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction
>>
>> Mine is set to 2 which is defined as:
>>
>> 2
>> Divert all links according to browser.link.open_newwindow, unless the
>> new window specifies how it should be displayed. (Default in Firefox
>> 1.5 and later, in SeaMonkey 2.1a3 and later, and Camino 1.5)
>>
>> This includes:
>>
>>     All links with target="_blank".
>>     JavaScript calls to window.open() without the "features"
>> parameter (3rd parameter).
>>
>> This does not include:
>>
>>     JavaScript calls to window.open() with the "features" parameter
>> (3rd parameter).
>>
>> The javascript:void(open.window...) function *did* specify how to open
>> the new windows (i.e., the features parameter was non-blank).  So it
>> should NOT be covered by the open_newwindow.restriction setting.
>
> A setting of 2 for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction means that
> window.open() called with features parameter is *not* included among
> the links are handled (diverted to tabs) in accordance with your
> browser.link.open_newwindow pref.  This was the behavior you
> experienced.

Apparently that's what it does.  That's not how it is defined.  The
documentation on open_newwindow.restriction is unclear.  The way it is
written could be interpreted as:

- "This does not include" applies against the "Divert all links" clause.
or
- "This does not include" applies against the "unless" clause.

From your suggestion and by testing, it appears the intended definition
was:

- "This does not include" applies against the "Divert all links" clause.

The "Open new windows in new tabs instead" option should have linked
together BOTH the open_newwindow (at 3) and open_newwindow.restriction
(at 0) settings so the resultant behavior matched the option's
description.  "Open new windows" means ALL new windows, not some of them
or only for some types.

Thanks for the info.
0
VanguardLH
2/27/2013 4:42:33 PM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:42:33 -0600
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> =C2=BBQ=C2=AB wrote:
=20
> > A setting of 2 for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction means
> > that window.open() called with features parameter is *not* included
> > among the links are handled (diverted to tabs) in accordance with
> > your browser.link.open_newwindow pref.  This was the behavior you
> > experienced.
>=20
> Apparently that's what it does.  That's not how it is defined.  The
> documentation on open_newwindow.restriction is unclear.

You're talking about the information on a third-party web site,
Mozillazine.  This newsgroup isn't concerned with troubleshooting
perceived Mozillazine problems.  Mozillazine has a forum for discussing
issues with its web site, linked from <http://forums.mozillazine.org/>.

FWIW, Mozillazine's kb attempts to document hidden prefs and
other things users may want to know about;  it's not an attempt to
provide definitions which Mozilla must abide by.

0
UTF
2/27/2013 7:49:28 PM
�Q� wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:42:33 -0600
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> �Q� wrote:
>
>>> A setting of 2 for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction means
>>> that window.open() called with features parameter is *not* included
>>> among the links are handled (diverted to tabs) in accordance with
>>> your browser.link.open_newwindow pref.  This was the behavior you
>>> experienced.
>>
>> Apparently that's what it does.  That's not how it is defined.  The
>> documentation on open_newwindow.restriction is unclear.
>
> You're talking about the information on a third-party web site,
> Mozillazine.  This newsgroup isn't concerned with troubleshooting
> perceived Mozillazine problems.  Mozillazine has a forum for discussing
> issues with its web site, linked from <http://forums.mozillazine.org/>.
>
> FWIW, Mozillazine's kb attempts to document hidden prefs and
> other things users may want to know about;  it's not an attempt to
> provide definitions which Mozilla must abide by.

Have you ever tried using Help -> Firefox Help menu (that takes you to
Mozilla's online help site)?  Oh joy, a mix of help articles (from
Mozilla) and lots of forum posts.  Don't know why Mozilla thought they
had to emulate Microsoft's support site.  Now in both you have to
disable inclusion of "community" threads.

Do a search there on "open_newwindow".  Eliminate the community posts so
you see what *Mozilla* offers for documentation on their Firefox
product.  Zero results.  So Mozilla is NOT documenting the configuration
of their product, so obviously I have to go elsehwere.  I gave up trying
to use Mozilla's help to figure out how to use or tweak their products.
0
VanguardLH

superreview requested: [Bug 172962] Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) : [Attachment 159443] optional addition to divert window.open to a new tab
Dan M <danm.moz@gmail.com> has asked Peter Van der Beken <peterv@propagandism.org> for superreview: Bug 172962: Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172962 Attachment 159443: optional addition to divert window.open to a new tab https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=159443&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 172962] Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) : [Attachment 159443] optional addition to divert window.open to a new tab
Peter Van der Beken <peterv@propagandism.org> has granted Dan M <danm.moz@gmail.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 172962: Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172962 Attachment 159443: optional addition to divert window.open to a new tab https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=159443&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Peter Van der Beken <peterv@propagandism.org> >Index: dom/src/base/nsGlobalWindow.cpp >=================================...

superreview granted: [Bug 172962] Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) : [Attachment 161419] don't divert window.open to a new tab if the named wind
Johnny Stenback <jst@mozilla.jstenback.com> has granted Dan M <danm.moz@gmail.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 172962: Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172962 Attachment 161419: don't divert window.open to a new tab if the named window exists https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=161419&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Johnny Stenback <jst@mozilla.jstenback.com> sr=jst ...

superreview requested: [Bug 172962] Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) : [Attachment 161419] don't divert window.open to a new tab if the named wi
Dan M <danm.moz@gmail.com> has asked Johnny Stenback <jst@mozilla.jstenback.com> for superreview: Bug 172962: Options for where to open URLs from other applications (reuse tab, new tab, new window) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172962 Attachment 161419: don't divert window.open to a new tab if the named window exists https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=161419&action=edit ...

When in secondary window open link as new tab opens tab in primary window
Hi! As discussed in bugzilla issue 626365 FF4.x no longer opens links as new tabs in secondary windows, but in primary windows even if that means opening a new primary window just for that purpose. This worked perfectly fine in FF3 and is much appreciated behavior for all those who make use of tickers that tend to open in secondary (pop-up) windows. I tried to understand the reasoning in the bug, but cannot follow, especially the argument that FF4 behavior is better UX. I strongly disagree on that point, because FF4 does something that I strongly doubt is expected behavior. Besides t...

opening new window other than window.open
is there any other way of opening a new window... aside from window.open? window.open has a memory leak so i want to prevent using it as much as possible.Alvin ShihSoftware DeveloperMCP MCTS MCPD Hi window.showmodaldialog() but supports only IE....   Regards Suresh Kumar Goudampally Why dont you avoid pop up windows all together and use an iframe that is positioned over the content? Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn Hi,Try Target="_blank" N.P.SenthilSoftware Engineer  Link buttons targer property is set to "_blank"...

Open a new window with window.open()
Hi, =20 in our web application, we try to open a popup-window with window.open(). But instead of opening a new window, a new tab is opened. =20 In the SeaMonkey preferences, we configured it, to open new links in a new tab. With firefox, we had the same preferences, but when window.open() was called, a new window was opened.=20 How can we configure SeaMonkey, so that it has the Firefox behavior when calling window.open() ? =20 Thanks in advance. =20 =20 =20 Artur Zeiler schrieb: > Hi, > > in our web application, we try to open a popup-window wi...

window.open and window.opener
Sorry for a really dumb post. I am not a scripting person... I find the whole thing a bit strange really with losely coupled types ect...Anyway, I am putting together a ASP.NET v2 application. One of the pages I am planning on implementing a link to open a pop-up window. In this popup window, the user will select the location of somthing, the window close and the value returned back to one of the parent browsers controls. I know this is not rocket science and I have done endless searches to try and find the answer. I am loading up the page and passing in the ClientID of the control I wish to...

shifting "open in new tab" and "open in new window" in firefox 2
Name: Markus Gr�rmann Email: randale-mail_at_gmx.de Product: Firefox Summary: shifting "open in new tab" and "open in new window" in firefox 2 Comments: Heyho! In firefox 2, opening new pages in a new tab instead of a new window is the standard setting. But ifyou right-click on a random link to open it either in a new window or a new tab, the option on top of the right-click-menu is "open in new window" you have to scroll down to open the link in a new tab. To support tabbed browsing as well as possible, the option to open links in a new tab s...

superreview granted: [Bug 429926] Make Cmd+T open a new window when no browser windows are open : [Attachment 316692] BrowserOpenTab() even when no windows are open
neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> has granted Stefan <stefanh@inbox.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 429926: Make Cmd+T open a new window when no browser windows are open https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=429926 Attachment 316692: BrowserOpenTab() even when no windows are open https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=316692&action=edit ...

superreview requested: [Bug 429926] Make Cmd+T open a new window when no browser windows are open : [Attachment 316692] BrowserOpenTab() even when no windows are open
Stefan <stefanh@bluebottle.com> has asked neil@parkwaycc.co.uk <neil@httl.net> for superreview: Bug 429926: Make Cmd+T open a new window when no browser windows are open https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=429926 Attachment 316692: BrowserOpenTab() even when no windows are open https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=316692&action=edit ...

OPEN NEW WINDOW USING window.open
Hi, can any eagle eyed geniuses spot what I'm doing wrong here? It's doing my nut! I'm simply trying to call a new page in a new window that I want to control the size, etc. I've tried two different ways - one from within my code behind and the other triggered by a LinkButton command action. Both do absolutely nothing. Please help... Private Sub InfoClick1(ByVal pSiteCode) Response.Write("<script>window.open('siteinfo.aspx?sitecode='" & pSiteCode & "','Info','left=20,top=20,height=500,width=850,toolbar=no,status=no,resizable=1,scrollbars=no')</script>") End Sub +...

open in new tab instead of opening new windows
It was working fine but once my inverter tripped shutting down my pc and when I restarted, xp did a scandisk and I found that FF3b3 was back to basics, the very initial settings that I had installed with, even addons needed to be reupdated. Whatever. I have redone all settings. But, while my options-tab is still saying "open new urls in new tabs (not in new window)" when I go to a site where javascript opens the link to a new window/ tab, it is not opening in a new tab as I would wish, but in a new window. I have reset that option again, but not working. javascri...

New Windows open when tabs should open
Name: Andrew Email: loweandratgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: New Windows open when tabs should open Comments: New windows should be opened in a new tab in the current window. This is not working as of the current 3.6.12 release. My new windows should open in tabs. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to s...

Firefox windows plus mini internet window opens when opening firefox
When switching between open windows (using mouse function) I see the regula= r firefox window as well as a mini internet window. I can not click on the= mini window. This just started a few weeks ago. It happens when using fir= efox regular or private browsing. I want to make sure it is not a malware o= r keystroke program loading. AVG nor advanced systemcare show anything is = wrong. This does not happen using google chrome or IE9. Any thoughts woul= d be appreciated. Thanks On 12-08-03 12:55 PM, pmb wrote: > When switching between open windows (using mouse function) I see ...

Web resources about - window.open() opens new window - FF configured to open in tab - mozilla.support.firefox

Introducing the Build-A-Rig Project: Company Configured PC Contest, Readers Win PCs
A while back Newegg approached us with an interesting offer. They wanted to regularly give away complete PCs to our readers, and they wanted ...

Deals: Lowest prices ever on 3 custom configured Haswell MacBook Pro Retinas
Apple authorized reseller and B&H Photo this week is offering users of our Price Guides between $150 and $255 off a handful of well-equipped ...

Phoenix Motorcars still not dead, will present "newly configured" electric truck at FedFleet
It's been quite a long while since we last had any real news from Phoenix Motorcars to report, but, whaddya know, we do now. The long-struggling ...

27 percent of websites aren't configured for smartphone searches
A new report from SEO and content marketing specialist BrightEdge reveals that although almost 60 percent of American adults own smartphones ...

Dell joins the ranks of systems pre-configured for VDI
Dell and VMware have partnered to offer a rack-mountable pre-configured system to support VDI environments.

Maiocco: 49ers offensive line hasn't gelled, still being configured
... A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Maiocco: 49ers offensive line hasn't gelled, still being configured ...

Elastic Fully Configured Application Development Clouds
Elastic Fully Configured Application Development Clouds

With the UCS, Cisco Proves That It Can Sell Pre-Configured Data Center Systems
Data Center Knowledge With the UCS, Cisco Proves That It Can Sell Pre-Configured Data Center Systems eWeek Analysis: Less than three years ...

Apple’s new Mac Pro arrives tomorrow, can be configured to cost more than $10,000
At long last, Apple's new, incredibly small Mac Pro is going on sale. From December 19 you'll be able to pick up an entry-level Mac Pro for $3000 ...

Check whether your web server is correctly configured
... off with total restriction and then access rights should be applied appropriately. You can check whether your web server is correctly configured ...