where to set compatibility mode?

I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in Firefox.
I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer, but
there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere else
to check this?

21
jbclem
6/13/2010 9:07:19 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23681 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox, 3.0
and 3.6.

"jbclem" <jbclem1@charter.net> wrote in message
> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in Firefox.
> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
but
> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
else
> to check this?

1
jbclem
6/13/2010 9:11:27 PM
On 06/13/2010 02:11 PM jbclem scribbled:

> Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox, 3.0
> and 3.6.
>

> "jbclem" <jbclem1@charter.net> wrote in message
>> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in Firefox.
>> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
> but
>> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
>> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
> else
>> to check this?

I'm not sure what you are referring to but I would think this is a
winbloze question, not Firefox.  The version of FF you are using stated
what OS versions it was compatible with in the release notes - I know of
no FF feature/setting which makes it compatible with anything - winbloze
apparently does.

You have a Firefox problem?
1
goodwin
6/13/2010 9:40:22 PM
"jbclem" ...
> Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox, 3.0
> and 3.6.
>> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in Firefox.
>> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
> >but
>> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
>> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
>> else to check this?    // jbclem

I think your answer is in the first reference below
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes#Windows_compatibility_mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Windows_Compatibility_mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage#Windows_Compatibility_mode

The above were found with a Google search, basically
    site:kb.mozillazine.org "Windows Compatibility Mode"
but I throw in a few more things to eliminate some items so the search url
actually looks like:
    site:kb.mozillazine.org -intitle:talk -inurl:"/index.php?title=" -inurl:"/index.php?title=" "Windows Compatibility Mode"

and the url looks like:
   http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&q=site%3Akb.mozillazine.org+-intitle%3Atalk+-inurl:%22/index.php?title=%22+-inurl%3A%22%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3D%22+%22Windows%20Compatibility%20Mode%22&btnG=Search

Since I use a keyword shortcut what I typed on the location bar looked like:
:: "Windows Compatibility Mode"

Firefox Keyword Shortcuts
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm

Question may be confusing to others because normally we thing of
compatibility testing of  extensions to the Firefox version number
   http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,   extensions I use are briefly documented on my site

1
David
6/13/2010 9:48:25 PM
I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu power.
Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by Firefox.
So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode, but I
can't find it on my computer.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
ompatibility-mode/
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
starting point.

John

"goodwin" <connyank@cox.net> wrote in message
> On 06/13/2010 02:11 PM jbclem scribbled:
>
> > Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox,
3.0
> > and 3.6.
> >

> > "jbclem" <jbclem1@charter.net> wrote in message
> >> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in
Firefox.
> >> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
> > but
> >> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
> >> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
> > else
> >> to check this?
> >>

> I'm not sure what you are referring to but I would think this is a
> winbloze question, not Firefox.  The version of FF you are using stated
> what OS versions it was compatible with in the release notes - I know of
> no FF feature/setting which makes it compatible with anything - winbloze
> apparently does.
>
> You have a Firefox problem?

-1
jbclem
6/13/2010 10:05:24 PM
David, thanks for the response...but what does it say?  Was this a lesson in
using Firefox and Google?  I'm still trying to figure out how to check for
Windows Compatibilty Mode in Firefox...and why the directions given (in the
links I posted) don't work.

"David McRitchie" <firefox01@verizon.net> wrote in message
> "jbclem" ...
> > Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox,
3.0
> > and 3.6.
> >> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in
Firefox.
> >> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
> > >but
> >> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
> >> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
> >> else to check this?    // jbclem
>
> I think your answer is in the first reference below
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes#Windows_compatibility_mode
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Windows_Compatibility_mode
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage#Windows_Compatibility_mode
>
> The above were found with a Google search, basically
>     site:kb.mozillazine.org "Windows Compatibility Mode"
> but I throw in a few more things to eliminate some items so the search url
> actually looks like:

site:kb.mozillazine.org -intitle:talk -inurl:"/index.php?title=" -inurl:"/in
dex.php?title=" "Windows Compatibility Mode"

> and the url looks like:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&q=site%3Akb.mozillazi
ne.org+-intitle%3Atalk+-inurl:%22/index.php?title=%22+-inurl%3A%22%2Findex.p
hp%3Ftitle%3D%22+%22Windows%20Compatibility%20Mode%22&btnG=Search

> Since I use a keyword shortcut what I typed on the location bar looked
like:
> :: "Windows Compatibility Mode"
>
> Firefox Keyword Shortcuts
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
>
> Question may be confusing to others because normally we thing of
> compatibility testing of  extensions to the Firefox version number
>    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility
>
> --
> HTH,
> David McRitchie,   extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
> Firefox Custom:    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

1
jbclem
6/13/2010 10:28:25 PM
On 10-06-13 6:05 PM, jbclem wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu power.
> Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
> Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by Firefox.
> So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode, but I
> can't find it on my computer.
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
> http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
> ompatibility-mode/
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
>
> I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
> starting point.

Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
-1
On 6/13/2010 6:05 PM, jbclem wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu power.
> Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
> Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by Firefox.
> So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode, but I
> can't find it on my computer.
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
> http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
> ompatibility-mode/
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
>
> I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
> starting point.
>
> John
>

> "goodwin"<connyank@cox.net>  wrote in message
>> On 06/13/2010 02:11 PM jbclem scribbled:
>>
>>> Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox,
> 3.0
>>> and 3.6.
>>>

>>> "jbclem"<jbclem1@charter.net>  wrote in message
> Firefox.
>>> but
>>> else
>>>>

>> I'm not sure what you are referring to but I would think this is a
>> winbloze question, not Firefox.  The version of FF you are using stated
>> what OS versions it was compatible with in the release notes - I know of
>> no FF feature/setting which makes it compatible with anything - winbloze
>> apparently does.
>>
>> You have a Firefox problem?

I believe there is such a thing in Windows 2000, but I am unsure.
However if you are running Windows XP, if you go to the program and
right click on the program icon, select "properties" and you will get a
menu with five tabs. One: "General"; "version", "compatibility",
"digital signatures", and "summary".

You can get to the program by right clicking the shortcut icon, select
"properties", and in the "shortcut tab", select "find target"

This is a function in the Windows operating system and is not related to
the Mozilla products specifically. )TB & FF)  Its function to allow
older programs to run in the Windows version for which it was designed.
i.e. If you have an old Windows 95 program, you would click the
compatibility mode and select Windows 95 from the drop down menu.

If you have downloaded the correct version of Firefox, it will load in
the correct compatibility mode, and you will not have to worry about it.
-1
Keith
6/13/2010 10:53:33 PM

"jbclem"  ...
> David, thanks for the response...but what does it say?  Was this a lesson in
> using Firefox and Google?  I'm still trying to figure out how to check for
> Windows Compatibilty Mode in Firefox...and why the directions given (in the
> links I posted) don't work.

>> I think your answer is in the first reference below
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes#Windows_compatibility_mode

I didn't notice any links that you posted

Windows compatibility mode
On Windows XP, sometimes Firefox must be run in Windows 2000 compatibility
mode.    Right click on your Firefox desktop icon and click on
Compatibility > change the setting to Windows 2000 > click Apply.[24]

reference [24] is
FF keeps shutting down on me -- mozillaZine Forums
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2882218#2882218

The other material I posted was how I found the links in the mozillazine KB

I guess the real question is why did you ask about "Windows Compatibility Mode"
and what are you trying to solve, where did you hear about setting it,
the above forums reference seems to suggest it doesn't need to be set in XP,
I've used Windows 2000 and I never set it.   You said you have Firefox 3.0 and
Firefox 3.6 and I've had both of those  (the current version is 3.6.3).

FWIW,    my previous posting in the thread did eventually show up for me.
1
David
6/13/2010 11:56:22 PM
Chris Ilias has written on 6/13/2010 6:36 PM:
> On 10-06-13 6:05 PM, jbclem wrote:
> > I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu power.
> > Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
> > Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by Firefox.
> > So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode, but I
> > can't find it on my computer.
> >
> > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
> > http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
> > ompatibility-mode/
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
> >
> > I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
> > starting point.
>
> Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
> In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.

What FF icon is that?

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

It's not whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame.
1
Pete
6/14/2010 12:13:55 AM
jbclem wrote:
> David, thanks for the response...but what does it say?  Was this a lesson in
> using Firefox and Google?  I'm still trying to figure out how to check for
> Windows Compatibilty Mode in Firefox...and why the directions given (in the
> links I posted) don't work.
>

> "David McRitchie"<firefox01@verizon.net>  wrote in message
>> "jbclem" ...
>>> Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox,
> 3.0
>>> and 3.6.
> Firefox.
>>
>> I think your answer is in the first reference below
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes#Windows_compatibility_mode
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Windows_Compatibility_mode
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage#Windows_Compatibility_mode
>>
>> The above were found with a Google search, basically
>>      site:kb.mozillazine.org "Windows Compatibility Mode"
>> but I throw in a few more things to eliminate some items so the search url
>> actually looks like:
>>

> site:kb.mozillazine.org -intitle:talk -inurl:"/index.php?title=" -inurl:"/in
> dex.php?title=" "Windows Compatibility Mode"
>>
>> and the url looks like:
>>
> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&q=site%3Akb.mozillazi
> ne.org+-intitle%3Atalk+-inurl:%22/index.php?title=%22+-inurl%3A%22%2Findex.p
> hp%3Ftitle%3D%22+%22Windows%20Compatibility%20Mode%22&btnG=Search
>>
>> Since I use a keyword shortcut what I typed on the location bar looked
> like:
>> :: "Windows Compatibility Mode"
>>
>> Firefox Keyword Shortcuts
>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
>>
>> Question may be confusing to others because normally we thing of
>> compatibility testing of  extensions to the Firefox version number
>>     http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>> David McRitchie,   extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
>> Firefox Custom:    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

I think you said that you were using Windows 2000.  There is no
Compatibility Mode in Windows 2000.
Dave Pyles
1
David
6/14/2010 12:31:58 AM
Pete Holsberg <pjh42@pobox.com> wrote:
>Chris Ilias has written on 6/13/2010 6:36 PM:
>> On 10-06-13 6:05 PM, jbclem wrote:
>> > I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu power.
>> > Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
>> > Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by Firefox.
>> > So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode, but I
>> > can't find it on my computer.
>> >
>> > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
>> > http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
>> > ompatibility-mode/
>> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
>> >
>> > I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
>> > starting point.
>>
>> Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
>> In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.
>
>What FF icon is that?

Whichever icon you click on to launch Firefox.

--
"Trim your follow-ups."
Alan
Pete Holsberg wrote:

> Chris Ilias has written on 6/13/2010 6:36 PM:
> > On 10-06-13 6:05 PM, jbclem wrote:
> > > I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu power.
> > > Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
> > > Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by Firefox.
> > > So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode, but I
> > > can't find it on my computer.
> > >
> > > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
> > > http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
> > > ompatibility-mode/
> > > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
> > >
> > > I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
> > > starting point.
> >
> > Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
> > In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.
>
> What FF icon is that?

The FF shortcut icon which you use to launch Firefox.
This includes icons in the Start menu.

Are you running an  old version of Windows?
Some old versions of Windows do not have this Windows
Compatibility Mode.

--
Regards
Ralph
On 10-06-13 8:13 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote:
> Chris Ilias has written on 6/13/2010 6:36 PM:
>> Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
>> In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.
>
> What FF icon is that?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
says firefox.exe, but the desktop shortcut will work as well.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Pete Holsberg wrote:
> Chris Ilias has written on 6/13/2010 6:36 PM:
>> On 10-06-13 6:05 PM, jbclem wrote:
>> > I've been trying to figure out why Firefox uses so much of my cpu
>> power.
>> > Here are some links to websites that discuss unchecking Windows
>> > Compatibility Mode as a way to cut down on excessive cpu usage by
>> Firefox.
>> > So someone out there thinks there is a Windows Compatibility Mode,
>> but I
>> > can't find it on my computer.
>> >

>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+consumes+a+lot+of+CPU+resources
>>

>> http://www.nofullstop.com/2008/07/16/troubleshooting-firefox-by-running-in-c
>>
>> > ompatibility-mode/
>> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
>> >
>> > I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but this seemed like a good
>> > starting point.
>>
>> Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
>> In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.
>
> What FF icon is that?

Your shortcut icon for Firefox on the desktop or where ever you start
the program from.
Dave Pyles
-1
David
6/14/2010 1:32:09 AM
On 13.06.2010 19:13, Pete Holsberg wrote:

>> Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
>> In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.
>
> What FF icon is that?

The one on the desktop which is also known as the "desktop shortcut".

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
www.ufaq.org
On 13/06/2010 17:11, jbclem wrote:
> Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox, 3.0
> and 3.6.
>

> "jbclem"<jbclem1@charter.net>  wrote in message
>> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in Firefox.
>> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
> but
>> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
>> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
> else
>> to check this?

No.

"Compatibility mode" is an Internet Explorer concept. Windows Update
every now and then downloads the current version of this IE extension.

You can get similar extensions for FireFox. I can't recall their names,
as I don't use them. Click on Tools > Add-ons > Get Add-ons, and sniff
around.

HTH
wolf k.
1
Greywolf
6/14/2010 4:13:09 AM
I guess I'm going to have to conclude that there is no compatibility mode
adjustment in Windows 2000.  When I check the properties from any of the
firefox.exe files, or from the desktop Firefox icons, or from the start menu
Firefox tabs...there are only two choices: General, and Shortcut.  From the
start menu, the Firefox properties show General, and Sharing.  And that's
it...no mention of compatibility anywhere.  It must be a WinXp  item.

I'm trying to figure out why Firefox has such high cpu% usage, and I'm sure
that some of it comes from different web sites and their use of java, etc...
But one of the things I've noticed is that just the act of clicking on a
link will shoot the cpu% usage up to 90-98%.  I thought I would check the
compatibility mode issue to see if there was a connection.  Apparently there
is none.

John

"Greywolf" <wekirch@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On 13/06/2010 17:11, jbclem wrote:
> > Forgot to mention I'm using Win2000, and have two versions of Firefox,
3.0
> > and 3.6.
> >

> > "jbclem"<jbclem1@charter.net>  wrote in message
> >> I'd like to know if I have Windows Compatibility Mode enabled in
Firefox.
> >> I've checked the properties for each firefox.exe I have on my computer,
> > but
> >> there is no mention of the compatibility mode. I've also checked the
> >> properties for the shortcut, nothing there either.  Is there somewhere
> > else
> >> to check this?
>
> No.
>
> "Compatibility mode" is an Internet Explorer concept. Windows Update
> every now and then downloads the current version of this IE extension.
>
> You can get similar extensions for FireFox. I can't recall their names,
> as I don't use them. Click on Tools > Add-ons > Get Add-ons, and sniff
> around.
>
> HTH
> wolf k.

-1
jbclem
6/14/2010 5:37:22 AM
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:37:22 -0700, in message <t8KdnRjVl8ePXYjRnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@mozilla.org>
jbclem wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why Firefox has such high cpu% usage, and I'm sure
> that some of it comes from different web sites and their use of java, etc...

Flash animations are a big user of CPU.  If you have 4 tabs open and
each has 2 Flash advertising banners, the CPU usage can add up.
Install the Flashblock extension and see if this makes a difference.

  Flashblock -  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

> But one of the things I've noticed is that just the act of clicking on a
> link will shoot the cpu% usage up to 90-98%.

Does your AV include a link checker?

--
Regards
Ralph

"Ralph Fox" <-rf-nz-@xn--kba.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:37:22 -0700, in message
<t8KdnRjVl8ePXYjRnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@mozilla.org>
> jbclem wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out why Firefox has such high cpu% usage, and I'm
sure
> > that some of it comes from different web sites and their use of java,
etc...

> Flash animations are a big user of CPU.  If you have 4 tabs open and
> each has 2 Flash advertising banners, the CPU usage can add up.
> Install the Flashblock extension and see if this makes a difference.
>

>   Flashblock -  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
>

> > But one of the things I've noticed is that just the act of clicking on a
> > link will shoot the cpu% usage up to 90-98%.
>
> Does your AV include a link checker?
>

> > I thought I would check the
> > compatibility mode issue to see if there was a connection.  Apparently
there
> > is none.
>

> --
> Regards
> Ralph

-1
jbclem
6/14/2010 10:45:37 AM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:45:37 -0700, in message =
<k5GdnTq9E_LMlYvRnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@mozilla.org>=20
jbclem wrote:

> I've used Flashblock and NoScript for quite a while.  I only use my
> antivirus manually (at least most of the time)...and I didn't know what=
> link checker was until now...I just installed a Firefox extension link
> checker.  I'll try it out and see if I can learn something from it.

I was not recommending a link checker.  I thought that perhaps
when you clicked on a link and your CPU shot up to up to 90-98%,
that might possibly be an AV link checker chewing CPU cycles.

Is it consistently shooting up to up to 90-98% ?
Does it vary depending on the link ?

>=20
> "Ralph Fox" <-rf-nz-@xn--kba.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:37:22 -0700, in message
> <t8KdnRjVl8ePXYjRnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@mozilla.org>
> > jbclem wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to figure out why Firefox has such high cpu% usage, and =
I'm
> sure
> > > that some of it comes from different web sites and their use of =
java,
> etc...
> >

> > Flash animations are a big user of CPU.  If you have 4 tabs open and
> > each has 2 Flash advertising banners, the CPU usage can add up.
> > Install the Flashblock extension and see if this makes a difference.
> >

> >   Flashblock -  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
> >

> > > But one of the things I've noticed is that just the act of clicking=
 on a
> > > link will shoot the cpu% usage up to 90-98%.
> >
> > Does your AV include a link checker?
> >

> > > I thought I would check the
> > > compatibility mode issue to see if there was a connection.  =
Apparently
> there
> > > is none.

--=20
Regards
Ralph
1
Ralph
6/14/2010 11:08:44 AM
On 14/06/2010 01:37, jbclem wrote:
> I guess I'm going to have to conclude that there is no compatibility mode
> adjustment in Windows 2000.  When I check the properties from any of the
> firefox.exe files, or from the desktop Firefox icons, or from the start menu
> Firefox tabs...there are only two choices: General, and Shortcut.  From the
> start menu, the Firefox properties show General, and Sharing.  And that's
> it...no mention of compatibility anywhere.  It must be a WinXp  item.

OK, I noew understand what your problem is.

Current Firefox is no longer backward compatible with DOS (which
includes Win3.x/9x/ME.)

Anyhow, you don't need a Compatibility setting for Windows 2000.
Compatibility is designed to run some apps as if they were running in
earlier versions of Windows, namely Win95/98/ME, NT4/SP5, and Windows
2000. Windows 2000 has a fairly complete DOS (ie, DOS simulator) built
in, and IIRC runs it by default. Also, W2K is really just NT4/SP5 with a
handful of bug fixes.

On XP does not run DOS by default, it has to be invoked via
"Compatibility". The changes from NT/W2K are substantial enough that
apps written for those OSs may not run properly on XP. The main reason
for Compatibility mode is games, many of which are so tightly coded that
even minor chnages in an OS may render them unplayable. I've never had a
compatibility issue with productivity apps.

> I'm trying to figure out why Firefox has such high cpu% usage, and I'm sure
> that some of it comes from different web sites and their use of java, etc...
> But one of the things I've noticed is that just the act of clicking on a
> link will shoot the cpu% usage up to 90-98%.  I thought I would check the
> compatibility mode issue to see if there was a connection.  Apparently there
> is none.
>
> John

Bottom post, please, as I am doing now. Then the post > answer sequence
flows logically.

FF's high CPU usage has been noticed an all platforms, not only Windows.
Some people have reported that uninstalling various add-ons cures the
problem.

OTOH, it may be the hardware and/or the OS. W2K is an obsolete OS, and
is presumably running on old hardware with a correspondingly old BIOS.
But people who complain of FF's CPU usage rarely post hardware
specifics, so that it's a guess that the hardware is the problem.

FWIW, I've never had a CPU usage issue with XP Pro/SP3 running on an
Intel DuoCore, even though the motherboard's BIOS is now four years old.

I suspect you won't be able to fix the CPU usage problem.

HTH
wolf k.
1
Greywolf
6/14/2010 1:01:38 PM
"Greywolf" ...
> On 14/06/2010 01:37, jbclem wrote:   <O.P. entirely snipped>
> FF's high CPU usage has been noticed an all platforms, not only Windows.
> Some people have reported that uninstalling various add-ons cures the
> problem.

Since the actual question has been made clear,  and that it is high cpu usage
the place to start would be to check your extensions, to see if any of them have
major reported problems,  and work to resolve the problems it causes.
    If you have Skype,  or  AVG  in particular there may be extensions installed
    that you were not aware of.  But go through the entire list.   Particularly
    note any extensions you have that you don't know what they are, and anything
    in the list that mentions an extension you have.
  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

RSS feeds and autorefresh,  and autoplay  can make things run slower.

The "BarTab"  extension might help if you have a lot of tabs open, or if you
have more than one tab open that has flash files.

1
David
6/14/2010 1:57:27 PM
Ralph Fox has written on 6/13/2010 9:29 PM:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:13:55 -0400, in message <mailman.2706.1276474447.19335.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>
> Pete Holsberg wrote:
>
> > Chris Ilias has written on 6/13/2010 6:36 PM:

> > > Right-click the Firefox icon, and select Properties.
> > > In the Properties window, select the Compatibility tab.
> >
> > What FF icon is that?
>
> The FF shortcut icon which you use to launch Firefox.
> This includes icons in the Start menu.

> Are you running an  old version of Windows?
> Some old versions of Windows do not have this Windows
> Compatibility Mode.

I have XP, Vista and 7.

--
Pete Holsberg