What are all these +++ directories?

Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
them?  Thanks.
0
Rav
12/25/2016 1:41:32 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23482 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

16 Replies
31 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 6

On 12/25/2016 8:41 AM, Rav wrote:
> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
> them?  Thanks.

I believe we determined in this thread 
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Storage_API> that 
they are web storage.

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Storage_API>


0
WaltS48
12/25/2016 4:03:48 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> Rav wrote:
>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
>> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
>> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
>> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
>> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
>> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
>> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
>> them?  Thanks.
> 
> I believe we determined in this thread 
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Storage_API> that 
> they are web storage.

Still I'm wondering:
- Why is it in a folder called "default"?
- Just checked that folder and found that out of the 19 items present
  17 have exactly the same timestamp, which seems to coincide with my
  last update of FF (which I always do manually). Why?
- There's an entry "web.whatsapp.com" which I never visited or will
  ever visit. So why is that entry there?

And the key question also posed by the OP: can all (or at least the
"old" or "inactive" ones) safely be removed?

-p

0
PietB
12/25/2016 4:54:38 PM
On 12/25/2016 11:54 AM, PietB wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Rav wrote:
>>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under
>>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or
>>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I
>>> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage
>>> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies,
>>> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the
>>> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top
>>> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under
>>> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of
>>> them?  Thanks.
>>
>> I believe we determined in this thread
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Storage_API> that
>> they are web storage.
>
> Still I'm wondering:
> - Why is it in a folder called "default"?
> - Just checked that folder and found that out of the 19 items present
>   17 have exactly the same timestamp, which seems to coincide with my
>   last update of FF (which I always do manually). Why?
> - There's an entry "web.whatsapp.com" which I never visited or will
>   ever visit. So why is that entry there?
>
> And the key question also posed by the OP: can all (or at least the
> "old" or "inactive" ones) safely be removed?
>
> -p
>
To answer just the "Key question": When I run Ccleaner it deletes all of 
those folders without causing browsing problems.  The sites just 
recreate them.
Dave Pyles
0
Dave
12/25/2016 7:46:15 PM
PietB <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

> There's an entry "web.whatsapp.com" which I never visited or will ever
> visit. So why is that entry there?

As I recall from recent online reading, add-ons and plug-ins can use DOM
storage, too.  Have one of the following installed?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=whatsapp&appver=50.0&platform=windows
0
VanguardLH
12/25/2016 9:16:23 PM
Rav <PaulR@cais.com> wrote:

> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.

Just in case you were wondering why that syntax was used for naming,
colon (:) and forward slash (/) are not legitimate characters in a path
name.  You cannot have a folder named https://www.cnn.com.  So colon and
forward slashes got replaced with legitimate placeholder characters.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

> I thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web
> Storage Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not
> cookies, because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had
> (and the directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There
> are 71 top level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565
> directories under those.  Any idea what these directories are for? 
> And can I get rid of them?  Thanks.

Under Options -> Advanced -> Network, I have the web cache configured
for zero (override enabled, zero cache size).  I also have Firefox purge
DOM storage (Offline Website Data) when it exits.   I don't want any
site to leave behind its data (claimed to be user data) on my computer.
If I revisit a site, I will re-login and start a new session there.  I
also have Firefox purge everything on its exit (plus I have CCleaner
cleanup Firefox, too, on occasion) which includes Site Preferences
(which has been shown before and still allows tracking by sites when
using Firefox).  As a result, I don't have the storage subfolders you
mention.
0
VanguardLH
12/25/2016 9:19:03 PM
Rav <PaulR@cais.com> Wrote in message:
> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
> them?  Thanks.
> 

Discussed on here just 10 days prior to your post.
-- 
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
Dave
12/26/2016 8:21:02 AM
Dave Pyles wrote:
> PietB wrote:
>> And the key question also posed by the OP: can all (or at least the
>> "old" or "inactive" ones) safely be removed?
>
> To answer just the "Key question": When I run Ccleaner it deletes
> all of those folders without causing browsing problems.  The sites
> just recreate them.

Thanks for the "key answer". ;-)

-p

0
PietB
12/26/2016 10:43:41 AM
VanguardLH wrote:
> PietB wrote:
>> There's an entry "web.whatsapp.com" which I never visited or will ever
>> visit. So why is that entry there?
> 
> As I recall from recent online reading, add-ons and plug-ins can use DOM
> storage, too.  Have one of the following installed?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=whatsapp&appver=50.0&platform=windows

Nope, none of them.

-p

0
PietB
12/26/2016 10:46:22 AM
On 12/25/2016 4:19 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Rav <PaulR@cais.com> wrote:
>
>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under
>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or
>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.
>
> Just in case you were wondering why that syntax was used for naming,
> colon (:) and forward slash (/) are not legitimate characters in a path
> name.  You cannot have a folder named https://www.cnn.com.  So colon and
> forward slashes got replaced with legitimate placeholder characters.
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx
>
>> I thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web
>> Storage Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not
>> cookies, because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had
>> (and the directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There
>> are 71 top level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565
>> directories under those.  Any idea what these directories are for?
>> And can I get rid of them?  Thanks.
>
> Under Options -> Advanced -> Network, I have the web cache configured
> for zero (override enabled, zero cache size).  I also have Firefox purge
> DOM storage (Offline Website Data) when it exits.   I don't want any
> site to leave behind its data (claimed to be user data) on my computer.
> If I revisit a site, I will re-login and start a new session there.  I
> also have Firefox purge everything on its exit (plus I have CCleaner
> cleanup Firefox, too, on occasion) which includes Site Preferences
> (which has been shown before and still allows tracking by sites when
> using Firefox).  As a result, I don't have the storage subfolders you
> mention.
>

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, neither thing worked for me.  I 
checked to clear Offline Website Data upon exit, but it didn't.  And I 
checked all the Firefox options in CCleaner (after downloading the 
latest version), and those directories remain after cleaning.  The only 
thing I haven't tried yet is your suggestion of setting the web cache 
size to zero.
0
Rav
12/26/2016 2:24:46 PM
On 12/26/2016 9:24 AM, Rav wrote:
> On 12/25/2016 4:19 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Rav <PaulR@cais.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under
>>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or
>>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.
>>
>> Just in case you were wondering why that syntax was used for naming,
>> colon (:) and forward slash (/) are not legitimate characters in a path
>> name.  You cannot have a folder named https://www.cnn.com.  So colon and
>> forward slashes got replaced with legitimate placeholder characters.
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx
>>
>>
>>> I thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web
>>> Storage Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not
>>> cookies, because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had
>>> (and the directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There
>>> are 71 top level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565
>>> directories under those.  Any idea what these directories are for?
>>> And can I get rid of them?  Thanks.
>>
>> Under Options -> Advanced -> Network, I have the web cache configured
>> for zero (override enabled, zero cache size).  I also have Firefox purge
>> DOM storage (Offline Website Data) when it exits.   I don't want any
>> site to leave behind its data (claimed to be user data) on my computer.
>> If I revisit a site, I will re-login and start a new session there.  I
>> also have Firefox purge everything on its exit (plus I have CCleaner
>> cleanup Firefox, too, on occasion) which includes Site Preferences
>> (which has been shown before and still allows tracking by sites when
>> using Firefox).  As a result, I don't have the storage subfolders you
>> mention.
>>
>
> Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, neither thing worked for me.  I
> checked to clear Offline Website Data upon exit, but it didn't.  And I
> checked all the Firefox options in CCleaner (after downloading the
> latest version), and those directories remain after cleaning.  The only
> thing I haven't tried yet is your suggestion of setting the web cache
> size to zero.

Followup:  Under Offline Web Content, it said my application cache was 
using 0 bytes of disk space.  I clicked Clear Now anyway, but again, the 
directories remained.
0
Rav
12/26/2016 2:28:31 PM
Rav <PaulR@cais.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Rav <PaulR@cais.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under
>>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or
>>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.
>>
>> Just in case you were wondering why that syntax was used for naming,
>> colon (:) and forward slash (/) are not legitimate characters in a path
>> name.  You cannot have a folder named https://www.cnn.com.  So colon and
>> forward slashes got replaced with legitimate placeholder characters.
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx
>>
>>> I thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web
>>> Storage Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not
>>> cookies, because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had
>>> (and the directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There
>>> are 71 top level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565
>>> directories under those.  Any idea what these directories are for?
>>> And can I get rid of them?  Thanks.
>>
>> Under Options -> Advanced -> Network, I have the web cache configured
>> for zero (override enabled, zero cache size).  I also have Firefox purge
>> DOM storage (Offline Website Data) when it exits.   I don't want any
>> site to leave behind its data (claimed to be user data) on my computer.
>> If I revisit a site, I will re-login and start a new session there.  I
>> also have Firefox purge everything on its exit (plus I have CCleaner
>> cleanup Firefox, too, on occasion) which includes Site Preferences
>> (which has been shown before and still allows tracking by sites when
>> using Firefox).  As a result, I don't have the storage subfolders you
>> mention.
> 
> Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, neither thing worked for me.  I 
> checked to clear Offline Website Data upon exit, but it didn't.  And I 
> checked all the Firefox options in CCleaner (after downloading the 
> latest version), and those directories remain after cleaning.  The only 
> thing I haven't tried yet is your suggestion of setting the web cache 
> size to zero.

Those folders you see are from old Firefox sessions.  They weren't
created during the current Firefox session to then have Firefox know
what to purge on exit.  I doubt it does a recursive subfolder wipe.  So
configure Firefox as mentioned above, exit Firefox, delete those old
session folders in Windows Explorer or in a command shell, then load
Firefox to see if those folders get created again.
0
VanguardLH
12/26/2016 7:38:08 PM
Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> Rav <PaulR@cais.com> Wrote in message:
>
>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
>> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
>> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
>> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
>> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
>> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
>> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
>> them?
> 
> Discussed on here just 10 days prior to your post.

Subject header was ...?  Would it have a datestamp 10 calendar days from
Rav's 12/25/2016 original post or from your 12/26/2016 reply?  Although
he pops in occasionally, Rav may not visit here often enough to know
about the prior thread.  Identification would help, especially since
there is no guarantee that scanning through Subjects will point to a
discussion that included "DOM" (I don't see "dom" mentioned in a Subject
header until way back to 11/6/2016).
0
VanguardLH
12/26/2016 7:50:30 PM
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:
> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> 
>> Rav <PaulR@cais.com> Wrote in message:
>>
>>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
>>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
>>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
>>> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
>>> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
>>> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
>>> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
>>> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
>>> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
>>> them?
>> 
>> Discussed on here just 10 days prior to your post.
> 
> Subject header was ...?  Would it have a datestamp 10 calendar days from
> Rav's 12/25/2016 original post or from your 12/26/2016 reply?  Although
> he pops in occasionally, Rav may not visit here often enough to know
> about the prior thread.  Identification would help, especially since
> there is no guarantee that scanning through Subjects will point to a
> discussion that included "DOM" (I don't see "dom" mentioned in a Subject
> header until way back to 11/6/2016).
> 

Subj: 'What is storage folder purpose' on 10/12/16
Yeah - I miscounted the days .
Can't copy/paste in this app.
It's not DOM storage
-- 
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
Dave
12/27/2016 6:16:50 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------EF6333EAC05CB5C60215AE8E
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On 12/26/2016 02:50 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Dave Royal<dave@dave123royal.com>  wrote:
>
>> Rav<PaulR@cais.com>  Wrote in message:
>>
>>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under
>>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or
>>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I
>>> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage
>>> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies,
>>> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the
>>> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top
>>> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under
>>> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of
>>> them?
>> Discussed on here just 10 days prior to your post.
> Subject header was ...?  Would it have a datestamp 10 calendar days from
> Rav's 12/25/2016 original post or from your 12/26/2016 reply?  Although
> he pops in occasionally, Rav may not visit here often enough to know
> about the prior thread.  Identification would help, especially since
> there is no guarantee that scanning through Subjects will point to a
> discussion that included "DOM" (I don't see "dom" mentioned in a Subject
> header until way back to 11/6/2016).


This is the link from Dec. 9th I meant to post in my other reply which 
somehow didn't get proofread. 😢

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/nneoeUmoYxQ/p2s2b_qcDAAJ>

☮

-- 
Visit Pittsburgh<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
Coexist<https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote<http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>  2,864,974 more than the winner
Ubuntu 16.04LTS


--------------EF6333EAC05CB5C60215AE8E
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/26/2016 02:50 PM, VanguardLH
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:mailman.873.1482854516.19729.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org">
      <pre wrap="">Dave Royal <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:dave@dave123royal.com">&lt;dave@dave123royal.com&gt;</a> wrote:

</pre>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="">Rav <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:PaulR@cais.com">&lt;PaulR@cais.com&gt;</a> Wrote in message:

</pre>
        <blockquote type="cite">
          <pre wrap="">Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
them?
</pre>
        </blockquote>
        <pre wrap="">Discussed on here just 10 days prior to your post.
</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre wrap="">Subject header was ...?  Would it have a datestamp 10 calendar days from
Rav's 12/25/2016 original post or from your 12/26/2016 reply?  Although
he pops in occasionally, Rav may not visit here often enough to know
about the prior thread.  Identification would help, especially since
there is no guarantee that scanning through Subjects will point to a
discussion that included "DOM" (I don't see "dom" mentioned in a Subject
header until way back to 11/6/2016).
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <p>This is the link from Dec. 9th I meant to post in my other reply
      which somehow didn't get proofread. <img style="width: 3ex;
        height: 3ex; min-width: 20px; min-height: 20px; display:
        inline-block; margin: 0 .15em .2ex; line-height: normal;
        vertical-align: middle" class="emojione" alt="😢"
src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/emojione/2.2.6/assets/png/1f622.png"></p>
    <p><a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/nneoeUmoYxQ/p2s2b_qcDAAJ">&lt;https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/nneoeUmoYxQ/p2s2b_qcDAAJ&gt;</a><br>
    </p>
    <img style="width: 3ex; height: 3ex; min-width: 20px; min-height:
      20px; display: inline-block; margin: 0 .15em .2ex; line-height:
      normal; vertical-align: middle" class="emojione" alt="☮"
src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/emojione/2.2.6/assets/png/262e.png">
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Visit Pittsburgh <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/">&lt;http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/&gt;</a>
Coexist <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://www.coexist.org/">&lt;https://www.coexist.org/&gt;</a>
National Popular Vote <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/">&lt;http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/&gt;</a> 2,864,974 more than the winner
Ubuntu 16.04LTS
</pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------EF6333EAC05CB5C60215AE8E--
0
WaltS48
12/27/2016 6:45:34 PM
Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:
>
>> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> Rav <PaulR@cais.com> Wrote in message:
>>>
>>>> Running Windows 7, Firefox 50.1.0.  Under my Firefox profile, under 
>>>> storage\default, are a bunch of directories that start with http+++ or 
>>>> https+++, such as http+++www.cnn.com, https+++plus.google.com, etc.  I 
>>>> thought they might be DOM storage, but when I installed the Web Storage 
>>>> Viewer extension, they didn't show up there.  They're not cookies, 
>>>> because they don't match up at all to the few cookies I had (and the 
>>>> directories remained after I deleted those cookies).  There are 71 top 
>>>> level directories, with a total of 1018 files and 1565 directories under 
>>>> those.  Any idea what these directories are for?  And can I get rid of 
>>>> them?
>>> 
>>> Discussed on here just 10 days prior to your post.
>> 
>> Subject header was ...?
> 
> Subj: 'What is storage folder purpose' on 10/12/16

Alas, my configured retention (in my local client) is 60 days.  I don't
keep them forever.  The bigger the message store (I visit 58 newsgroups
which I recently pared down) then the slower is the client on some
operations and the greater the chance for database corruption.
Thankfully Walt gave a URL to an archived copy.

> Yeah - I miscounted the days .
> Can't copy/paste in this app.

X-Newsreader: PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Well, at least, it looks like you got rid of their spammifying bogus
signature.

> It's not DOM storage

I don't see how "Web Storage" (sessionStorage and localStorage) differs
from DOM Storage.  Different name, same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_storage
"Web storage and DOM storage ..."

In Firefox, you enable its "Offline Website Data" to purge DOM storage
(aka Web Storage) when it exits.  In Internet Explorer, the option is
called "Cookies and website data".  In Google Chrome, it's "Cookies and
other site and plug-in data".  
0
VanguardLH
12/27/2016 8:29:11 PM
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:
> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> 
>> It's not DOM storage
> 
> I don't see how "Web Storage" (sessionStorage and localStorage) differs
> from DOM Storage.  Different name, same thing.

The storage that uses the +++ directories, indexed DB, is not DOM
 storage. DOM storage is local storage and session storage, which
 is probably a subset of 'web storage'', which is a later
 nomenclature. 

Several of my addons use local storage. In the early days Fx used
 to clear it along with cookies - there was quite a bit of
 discussion in bugzilla about it. As more types of storage were
 invented the 'clear private data' options got more numerous -
 though it's obviously hard to explain what the various types are
 in simple usage. Some folk just like zapping thus stuff as a
 matter of principle, then complain my addons don't
 work!
-- 
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
Dave
12/28/2016 9:15:12 PM
Reply: