webpages don't fully print

For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some 
commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but 
the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7 and 
Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there something 
in particular I should tell the companies?

-- 
Thank you,
Jo-Anne

0
Jo
7/20/2018 12:49:25 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

24 Replies
45 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

My bloviated meandering follows what Jo-Anne graced us with on 7/19/2018 
5:49 PM:
> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some 
> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but 
> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7 and 
> Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there something 
> in particular I should tell the companies?
> 
Firefox print has always been the ugly stepchild for the browser. I end 
up using Chrome whenever I need to reliably count on a reproduction of 
the content.

-- 
Sailfish
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
0
Sailfish
7/20/2018 1:07:11 AM
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:49:25 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some 
>commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but 
>the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7 and 
>Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there something 
>in particular I should tell the companies?

Do you used the 'print preview' ?
0
KenW
7/20/2018 1:23:24 AM
On 7/19/2018 8:23 PM, KenW wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:49:25 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some
>> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but
>> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7 and
>> Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there something
>> in particular I should tell the companies?
>
> Do you used the 'print preview' ?
>

Yes, and it shows only the first page, except for headers/footers.

-- 
Jo-Anne
0
Jo
7/20/2018 1:46:22 AM
On 7/19/2018 8:07 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what Jo-Anne graced us with on 7/19/2018
> 5:49 PM:
>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some
>> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but
>> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7
>> and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there
>> something in particular I should tell the companies?
>>
> Firefox print has always been the ugly stepchild for the browser. I end
> up using Chrome whenever I need to reliably count on a reproduction of
> the content.
>

Thank you, Sailfish. In the past I used Internet Explorer, which has 
always printed very well; but I've been trying to stay away from it 
because it's supposed to be more insecure than other browsers.

-- 
Jo-Anne
0
Jo
7/20/2018 1:47:59 AM
On 7/19/2018 9:46 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 8:23 PM, KenW wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:49:25 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from
>>> some commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page
>>> prints but the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm
>>> using Windows 7 and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I
>>> can do? Is there something in particular I should tell the
>>> companies?
>> 
>> Do you used the 'print preview' ?
>> 
> 
> Yes, and it shows only the first page, except for headers/footers.
> 

Yesterday I was unable to successfully print a web page using FF 61.0.1, 
or Chrome.  Hate to say it, but for the first time in months I opened 
Edge and was able to print the web page flawlessly.  (It was a menu page 
from a restaurant's web site so I wasn't seriously concerned about 
browser security for that task.)
0
Peter
7/20/2018 1:09:14 PM
On 7/19/2018 9:46 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 8:23 PM, KenW wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:49:25 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from
>>> some commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page
>>> prints but the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm
>>> using Windows 7 and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I
>>> can do? Is there something in particular I should tell the
>>> companies?
>> 
>> Do you used the 'print preview' ?
>> 
> 
> Yes, and it shows only the first page, except for headers/footers.
> 

Yesterday I was unable to successfully print a web page using FF 61.0.1, 
or Chrome.  Hate to say it, but for the first time in months I opened 
Edge and was able to print the web page flawlessly.  (It was a menu page 
from a restaurant's web site so I wasn't seriously concerned about 
browser security for that task.)
0
Peter
7/20/2018 1:09:14 PM
On 2018-07-20 09:09, Peter wrote:
> On 7/19/2018 9:46 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 7/19/2018 8:23 PM, KenW wrote:
>>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:49:25 -0500, Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from
>>>> some commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page
>>>> prints but the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm
>>>> using Windows 7 and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I
>>>> can do? Is there something in particular I should tell the
>>>> companies?
>>>
>>> Do you used the 'print preview' ?
>>>
>>
>> Yes, and it shows only the first page, except for headers/footers.
>>
> 
> Yesterday I was unable to successfully print a web page using FF 61.0.1, 
> or Chrome.� Hate to say it, but for the first time in months I opened 
> Edge and was able to print the web page flawlessly.� (It was a menu page 
> from a restaurant's web site so I wasn't seriously concerned about 
> browser security for that task.)

The printability of a webpage depends on its coding. The fact that it 
prints correctly in Edge but not in the other browsers tells you that it 
was created with an MS web-page app. That in turn suggests that MS apps 
violate standards. It would not be the first time MS has violated 
standards that other browsers expect. If so, this would not be the first 
time that MS has violated standards to make competitor apps fail.

One workaround is to Save Page Complete, then go into the folder that 
stores its components, and extract the bits you want to print. Another 
workaround is to highlight an Copy, then Paste into a word-processor. 
But neither of these workarounds will work in every case, and both have 
limitations.

Good luck,

-- 
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
Power is control over oneself,
the ability to do what you have to do,
not what you want to do.
0
Wolf
7/20/2018 1:21:28 PM
On 20/07/2018 01:49, Jo-Anne wrote:
> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some 
> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but 
> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7 and 
> Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there something 
> in particular I should tell the companies?
> 
If I have this problem, I use FastStone Capture to do a screen/web page 
capture and then print, after cropping if necessary.

0
Michael
7/20/2018 1:33:13 PM
On 2018-07-19 8:49 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some 
> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but 
> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7 and 
> Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there something 
> in particular I should tell the companies?

Hi Jo-Anne,
Could you please provide the URL of a page in which the first page 
prints, but the others are blank except for headers/footers?

-- 
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Mailing list/Newsgroup moderator
0
Chris
7/20/2018 2:36:03 PM
On 7/20/2018 9:36 AM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2018-07-19 8:49 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some
>> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but
>> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7
>> and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there
>> something in particular I should tell the companies?
>
> Hi Jo-Anne,
> Could you please provide the URL of a page in which the first page
> prints, but the others are blank except for headers/footers?
>

I can't give you the exact URL, Chris, because it was my account's 
wishlist, then cart, and finally receipt. However, you can get an idea 
of what happens by going to the following webpages--one at Hamilton 
Books and the other at Deep Discount. Before you do that, though, I 
thought I'd mention that I just checked both sites at Internet Explorer 
and at Chrome. Results are below.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/books

There are 100 books shown on this webpage. When I try to print it in 
Firefox, print preview always shows three pages, no matter what size I 
choose to print. At 50% size, the first page is essentially blank--just 
the header and "Books." The second page is 12 of the 100 books. The 
third page is the info at the bottom of the screen about the company's 
catalogs. The webpage looks like it'll print OK in Chrome, but in 
Internet Explorer print preview freezes and won't show anything; I tried 
twice and had to close the program both times.

A similar thing happens at Deep Discount. For example, I clicked on a 
particular movie studio. The first page of DVDs (images and text) showed 
25 items. When I looked at print preview in Firefox, there were 13 at 
50%, and all the pages were covered with gibberish. I get the same sort 
of thing when I try to print my wishlist. This site, however, prints 
more pages when the type size is larger and fewer pages when the type 
size is smaller, even though it still doesn't print what's on the 
webpage. In this case, neither Internet Explorer nor Chrome can print 
the webpage properly. See

https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod=AV&lb=Warner%20Home%20Video

-- 
Jo-Anne
0
Jo
7/20/2018 7:42:37 PM
On 7/20/2018 8:33 AM, Michael wrote:
> On 20/07/2018 01:49, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some
>> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but
>> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7
>> and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there
>> something in particular I should tell the companies?
>>
> If I have this problem, I use FastStone Capture to do a screen/web page
> capture and then print, after cropping if necessary.
>

I've been using DuckCapture in this situation, but it would be much 
better if I could simply print the webpage. Is FastStone Capture free? I 
seem to recall giving it up a while back because after a month (or 
thereabouts), I was going to have to pay.

-- 
Thank you,
Jo-Anne

0
Jo
7/21/2018 5:59:55 AM
On 21/07/2018 06:59, Jo-Anne wrote:
> On 7/20/2018 8:33 AM, Michael wrote:
>> On 20/07/2018 01:49, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some
>>> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but
>>> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7
>>> and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there
>>> something in particular I should tell the companies?
>>>
>> If I have this problem, I use FastStone Capture to do a screen/web page
>> capture and then print, after cropping if necessary.
>>
> 
> I've been using DuckCapture in this situation, but it would be much 
> better if I could simply print the webpage. Is FastStone Capture free? I 
> seem to recall giving it up a while back because after a month (or 
> thereabouts), I was going to have to pay.
> 
Not free but fairly cheap for a lifetime licence and it is very flexible 
in selecting what to capture.

0
Michael
7/21/2018 6:28:04 AM
On 7/21/2018 1:28 AM, Michael wrote:
> On 21/07/2018 06:59, Jo-Anne wrote:
>> On 7/20/2018 8:33 AM, Michael wrote:
>>> On 20/07/2018 01:49, Jo-Anne wrote:
>>>> For a while now, I've been having trouble printing webpages from some
>>>> commercial sites--including their receipts. The first page prints but
>>>> the others are blank except for headers/footers. I'm using Windows 7
>>>> and Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. Is there anything I can do? Is there
>>>> something in particular I should tell the companies?
>>>>
>>> If I have this problem, I use FastStone Capture to do a screen/web page
>>> capture and then print, after cropping if necessary.
>>>
>>
>> I've been using DuckCapture in this situation, but it would be much
>> better if I could simply print the webpage. Is FastStone Capture free?
>> I seem to recall giving it up a while back because after a month (or
>> thereabouts), I was going to have to pay.
>>
> Not free but fairly cheap for a lifetime licence and it is very flexible
> in selecting what to capture.
>

Thank you. I'll take another look at it.

-- 
Jo-Anne

0
Jo
7/21/2018 6:34:04 AM
On 07/20/2018 02:42 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:

[snip]

> A similar thing happens at Deep Discount. For example, I clicked on a 
> particular movie studio. The first page of DVDs (images and text) showed 
> 25 items. When I looked at print preview in Firefox, there were 13 at 
> 50%, and all the pages were covered with gibberish. I get the same sort 
> of thing when I try to print my wishlist. This site, however, prints 
> more pages when the type size is larger and fewer pages when the type 
> size is smaller, even though it still doesn't print what's on the 
> webpage. In this case, neither Internet Explorer nor Chrome can print 
> the webpage properly. See
> 
> https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod=AV&lb=Warner%20Home%20Video

I got similar results. I have seen these problems many times.

The gibberish appears to be text printed on top of other text.

I also see horizontal truncation, a problem that has been going on for a 
long time (I remember it with MSIE 3, when that was new.).

The list may have been implemented as a table, although I can print long 
tables from my website with no problems.

These problems could be caused by poorly-written web pages. If would 
still be nice to have FF work with the web pages that exist. Anyway, if 
FF can display these properly on the screen, why is another bitmapped 
device so hard?

-- 
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When a minister says that God will help you, ask him to put up the
collateral." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]
0
Mark
7/21/2018 3:53:29 PM
On 7/21/2018 10:53 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 07/20/2018 02:42 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> 
> [snip]
> 
>> A similar thing happens at Deep Discount. For example, I clicked on a 
>> particular movie studio. The first page of DVDs (images and text) 
>> showed 25 items. When I looked at print preview in Firefox, there were 
>> 13 at 50%, and all the pages were covered with gibberish. I get the 
>> same sort of thing when I try to print my wishlist. This site, 
>> however, prints more pages when the type size is larger and fewer 
>> pages when the type size is smaller, even though it still doesn't 
>> print what's on the webpage. In this case, neither Internet Explorer 
>> nor Chrome can print the webpage properly. See
>>
>> https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod=AV&lb=Warner%20Home%20Video
> 
> I got similar results. I have seen these problems many times.
> 
> The gibberish appears to be text printed on top of other text.
> 
> I also see horizontal truncation, a problem that has been going on for a 
> long time (I remember it with MSIE 3, when that was new.).
> 
> The list may have been implemented as a table, although I can print long 
> tables from my website with no problems.
> 
> These problems could be caused by poorly-written web pages. If would 
> still be nice to have FF work with the web pages that exist. Anyway, if 
> FF can display these properly on the screen, why is another bitmapped 
> device so hard?
> 

  Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and frequently 
does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for a couple years.

  I assume the Mozilla team just doesn't update the print engine when it 
updates everything else...  and hasn't updated it in years.  Can't think 
of another reason that it would display a web page perfectly fine but be 
unable to print it.
0
Ryan
8/3/2018 3:57:04 AM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040408020609090704030308
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 03/08/2018 04:57, Ryan P. wrote:
>
>>
>
>  Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and frequently 
> does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for a couple years.

The print problem is because of the way the webpage is designed. Mostly 
it for screen display and so when you select to print then the 
appropriate style sheet is not present so all you get is complete 
rubbish based on what FF can make of it.

A competent web designer will normally provide a print style sheet so 
that irrelevant styles for screen are not in it and so you get a nice 
print page.  Unfortunately, these days it is all about screen display.  
Hard copies have become obsolete!!

>
>  I assume the Mozilla team just doesn't update the print engine when 
> it updates everything else...  and hasn't updated it in years.  Can't 
> think of another reason that it would display a web page perfectly 
> fine but be unable to print it.

See my explanation above.



-- 
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------040408020609090704030308
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FCFBE3" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 03/08/2018 04:57, Ryan P. wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:mailman.516.1533268654.17373.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite"><br>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <br>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
       Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and
      frequently does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for
      a couple years.
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    The print problem is because of the way the webpage is designed. 
    Mostly it for screen display and so when you select to print then
    the appropriate style sheet is not present so all you get is
    complete rubbish based on what FF can make of it.<br>
    <br>
    A competent web designer will normally provide a print style sheet
    so that irrelevant styles for screen are not in it and so you get a
    nice print page.  Unfortunately, these days it is all about screen
    display.  Hard copies have become obsolete!!<br>
    <br>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:mailman.516.1533268654.17373.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">
      <br>
       I assume the Mozilla team just doesn't update the print engine
      when it updates everything else...  and hasn't updated it in
      years.  Can't think of another reason that it would display a web
      page perfectly fine but be unable to print it.
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    See my explanation above.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div class="moz-signature">
        <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 950 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>
      </div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040408020609090704030308--
0
UTF
8/3/2018 4:34:08 AM
On 08/02/2018 10:57 PM, Ryan P. wrote:

[snip]

>   Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and frequently 
> does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for a couple years.

FF is supposed to reduce the font size (within limits), so it's more 
likely to print the full width of the page than MSIE. This doesn't 
always worth.

BTW, HTML is designed to adapt to the page size without losing any 
information. For some strange reason, most web designers insist on 
defeating that, so you end up either with required horizontal scrolling 
(for a page that insists on being wide) or wasted space on the screen 
(if you have a wide browser window). Then they talk about "responsive 
design" when they would have had something better for years if they 
hadn't defeated it.

>   I assume the Mozilla team just doesn't update the print engine when it 
> updates everything else...  and hasn't updated it in years.  Can't think 
> of another reason that it would display a web page perfectly fine but be 
> unable to print it.

And why doesn't it use the same procedures to do the same thing? Both 
(screen and printer) use bitmaps. How can one work perfectly while the 
other is such a mess?

-- 
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God,
for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because
they are spiritually discerned." Paul, 1 Corinthians 2:14
0
Mark
8/3/2018 6:01:43 PM
In message 
<mailman.514.1533319335.17372.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Mark 
Lloyd <not@mail.invalid> writes:
[]
>BTW, HTML is designed to adapt to the page size without losing any 
>information. For some strange reason, most web designers insist on 
>defeating that, so you end up either with required horizontal scrolling 
>(for a page that insists on being wide) or wasted space on the screen 
>(if you have a wide browser window). Then they talk about "responsive 
>design" when they would have had something better for years if they 
>hadn't defeated it.

Yes; they design for a fixed size screen. Which is silly. Not only do 
people have monitors of widely differing resolutions and varying shapes, 
but not everybody browses in full screen windows. As you say, HTML is 
perfectly capable of wrapping to suit the space available - and has been 
since it started!

If they really want to tie down their layout, they should do a .pdf - 
that's more or less what _that_ format was designed for. But breaking 
HTML often causes it not to work.
>
>>  �I assume the Mozilla team just doesn't update the print engine when 
>>it  updates everything else...� and hasn't updated it in years.� Can't 
>>think  of another reason that it would display a web page perfectly 
>>fine but be  unable to print it.
>
>And why doesn't it use the same procedures to do the same thing? Both 
>(screen and printer) use bitmaps. How can one work perfectly while the 
>other is such a mess?
>
Exactly! The only difference is that printers tend to be higher 
resolution (at least for black text on white) than monitors, and also 
use ink, so it's useful to be able to turn off large areas of colour (or 
black) when printing. But I'd gladly forgo higher resolution (jaggies in 
text), if it meant I could print what I see (and given that most of my 
"printing" is to .pdf, the ink thing isn't relevant either).
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
0
J
8/3/2018 8:02:58 PM
On 8/2/2018 9:34 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 03/08/2018 04:57, Ryan P. wrote:
>>
>>>
>>
>>  Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and frequently 
>> does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for a couple years.
> 
> The print problem is because of the way the webpage is designed. Mostly 
> it for screen display and so when you select to print then the 
> appropriate style sheet is not present so all you get is complete 
> rubbish based on what FF can make of it.
> 
> A competent web designer will normally provide a print style sheet so 
> that irrelevant styles for screen are not in it and so you get a nice 
> print page.  Unfortunately, these days it is all about screen display. 
> Hard copies have become obsolete!!

This is why some web sites have printer friendly options. Use them if 
they exist.
-- 
"It is certain that there may be extraordinary mental activity with an 
extremely small absolute mass of nervous matter: thus the wonderfully 
diversified instincts, mental powers, and affections of ants are 
notorious, yet their cerebral ganglia are not so large as the quarter of 
a small pin's head. Under this point of view, the brain of an ant is one 
of the most marvelous atoms of matter in the world, perhaps more so than 
the brain of a man." --Charles Darwin (from The Origin of Species, 1859)
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\            If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
   / /\ /\ \            Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
  | |o   o| |         http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
8/4/2018 12:14:24 AM
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> BTW, HTML is designed to adapt to the page size without losing any 
>> information. For some strange reason, most web designers insist on 
>> defeating that, so you end up either with required horizontal scrolling 
>> (for a page that insists on being wide) or wasted space on the screen 
>> (if you have a wide browser window). Then they talk about "responsive 
>> design" when they would have had something better for years if they 
>> hadn't defeated it.
> 
> Yes; they design for a fixed size screen.

No, they don't, but they don't know what they're talking about.
They say "screen size", but they mean "window size". Even with
the largest super-resolution supersize screens sites can tell
you your screen is too small because the site "is optimized
for 1024x768".

-p

0
PietB
8/4/2018 8:02:39 AM
On 8/3/18 8:14 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 8/2/2018 9:34 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>> On 03/08/2018 04:57, Ryan P. wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>  Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and frequently 
>>> does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for a couple years.
>>
>> The print problem is because of the way the webpage is designed. 
>> Mostly it for screen display and so when you select to print then the 
>> appropriate style sheet is not present so all you get is complete 
>> rubbish based on what FF can make of it.
>>
>> A competent web designer will normally provide a print style sheet so 
>> that irrelevant styles for screen are not in it and so you get a nice 
>> print page.  Unfortunately, these days it is all about screen display. 
>> Hard copies have become obsolete!!
> 
> This is why some web sites have printer friendly options. Use them if 
> they exist.

But, I want to print the site as displayed in the browser, not the 
printer friendly option.

-- 
CPU: 3.2 Ghz AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor
RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
0
WaltS48
8/4/2018 3:14:50 PM
On 08/04/2018 03:02 AM, PietB wrote:

[snip]

> No, they don't, but they don't know what they're talking about.
> They say "screen size", but they mean "window size". Even with
> the largest super-resolution supersize screens sites can tell
> you your screen is too small because the site "is optimized
> for 1024x768".
> 
> -p

Yes, it's window size. I know that, and somehow typed the wrong word.

Of course, screen size is appropriate with full screen mode.

-- 
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A dogma is the hand of the dead on the throat of the living." [Lemuel
K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays_]
0
Mark
8/4/2018 3:29:51 PM
On 8/4/2018 8:14 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>>>  Firefox frequently prints everything at 50% for me, and frequently 
>>>> does not print all of a webpage.  Its been that way for a couple years.
>>>
>>> The print problem is because of the way the webpage is designed. 
>>> Mostly it for screen display and so when you select to print then the 
>>> appropriate style sheet is not present so all you get is complete 
>>> rubbish based on what FF can make of it.
>>>
>>> A competent web designer will normally provide a print style sheet so 
>>> that irrelevant styles for screen are not in it and so you get a nice 
>>> print page.  Unfortunately, these days it is all about screen 
>>> display. Hard copies have become obsolete!!
>>
>> This is why some web sites have printer friendly options. Use them if 
>> they exist.
> 
> But, I want to print the site as displayed in the browser, not the 
> printer friendly option.

Well, those never come out correctly.  Even print to PDF files don't 
look right either. Argh! :(
-- 
"One day he sprained an ankle rather than crush an ant." --Les Miserables
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\            If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
   / /\ /\ \            Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
  | |o   o| |         http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
8/6/2018 9:15:48 AM
On 8/4/2018 8:14 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
.....
> But, I want to print the site as displayed in the browser, not the 
> printer friendly option.

Actually, ONE way works. Download the web page like with PrefBar's 
Page2Image button addon feature or whatever. However, printing it can be 
tricky. I just print that saved image file in my web browser as multiple 
sections of it.
-- 
"When you can't fight on and drop to die; you're just a big tasty feast 
for the crows, ants, buzzards and flies." --unknown
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see 
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\            If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
   / /\ /\ \            Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
  | |o   o| |         http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
8/6/2018 9:19:29 AM
Reply: