W3C validation does not pass on the referer

I have on my web pages a standard link to do web page validation by W3C.

I don't know when this was changed, but in Firefox 61.0.1 the "referer"
in "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer" does not pass on the web
page url anymore, and hence the default web page is always validated.

Internet Explorer still works fine, and so do Opera and Google Chrome.

It is obviously a (security?) setting in Firefox that causes my problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
0
Dempsey
7/17/2018 4:17:01 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On 7/17/18 12:17 AM, Dempsey wrote:
> I have on my web pages a standard link to do web page validation by W3C.
>
> I don't know when this was changed, but in Firefox 61.0.1 the "referer"
> in "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer" does not pass on the web
> page url anymore, and hence the default web page is always validated.
>
> Internet Explorer still works fine, and so do Opera and Google Chrome.
>
> It is obviously a (security?) setting in Firefox that causes my problem.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Have you tried changing "http://" to "https://" for the referrer link?

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
7/17/2018 2:08:40 PM
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 22:17:01 -0600, Dempsey wrote:

> I have on my web pages a standard link to do web page validation by W3C.
>
> I don't know when this was changed, but in Firefox 61.0.1 the "referer"
> in "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer" does not pass on the web
> page url anymore, and hence the default web page is always validated.
>
> Internet Explorer still works fine, and so do Opera and Google Chrome.
>
> It is obviously a (security?) setting in Firefox that causes my problem.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Does this explain what you're seeing?
<https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/31/preventing-data-leaks-by-
stripping-path-information-in-http-referrers/>
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
On 17-Jul-2018 10:07, Dave Royal wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 22:17:01 -0600, Dempsey wrote:
>
>> I have on my web pages a standard link to do web page validation by W3C.
>>
>> I don't know when this was changed, but in Firefox 61.0.1 the "referer"
>> in "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer" does not pass on the web
>> page url anymore, and hence the default web page is always validated.
>>
>> Internet Explorer still works fine, and so do Opera and Google Chrome.
>>
>> It is obviously a (security?) setting in Firefox that causes my problem.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
>
> Does this explain what you're seeing?
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/31/preventing-data-leaks-by-
> stripping-path-information-in-http-referrers/>

Thanks, that explains a lot. I think that I will change "referer" into
the full url for my W3C validation.
0
Dempsey
7/19/2018 1:17:42 PM
On 17-Jul-2018 08:08, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 7/17/18 12:17 AM, Dempsey wrote:
>> I have on my web pages a standard link to do web page validation by W3C.
>>
>> I don't know when this was changed, but in Firefox 61.0.1 the
>> "referer" in "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer" does not pass
>> on the web page url anymore, and hence the default web page is always
>> validated.
>>
>> Internet Explorer still works fine, and so do Opera and Google Chrome.
>>
>> It is obviously a (security?) setting in Firefox that causes my problem.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
>

> Have you tried changing "http://" to "https://" for the referrer link?

I maintain someone's website that is completely "https://" and I had to
use "https://" for the validation link for it to be accepted, but still
the same problem.

As I already said in my reply to Dave Royal, I will use the full url
instead of "referer" in this case.
0
Dempsey