w10 and Firefox as default app

Hi All,

I just created a new user in Windows Nein, oops Windows Ten.
When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
it does not show in the choices.

I reinstalled Firefox and that did not help.

So far I created an .html and a .htm file and set the default
to Firefox, but that did not change the main problem

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T
mozilla.support.firefox 24082 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just created a new user in Windows Nein, oops Windows Ten.
> When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
> it does not show in the choices.
>
> I reinstalled Firefox and that did not help.
>
> So far I created an .html and a .htm file and set the default
> to Firefox, but that did not change the main problem
>
> Any words of wisdom?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Did you set the default via FF or via W10?
I've read that W10 sometimes refuses to ack FF or other browsers except Edge.
0
Paul
1/9/2018 2:04:14 AM
On 01/08/2018 06:04 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just created a new user in Windows Nein, oops Windows Ten.
>> When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
>> it does not show in the choices.
>>
>> I reinstalled Firefox and that did not help.
>>
>> So far I created an .html and a .htm file and set the default
>> to Firefox, but that did not change the main problem
>>
>> Any words of wisdom?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> Did you set the default via FF or via W10?
> I've read that W10 sometimes refuses to ack FF or other browsers except
> Edge.

I triggered it from opening Firefox and from Firefox's preferences
On 1/8/2018 9:04 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just created a new user in Windows Nein, oops Windows Ten.
>> When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
>> it does not show in the choices.
>>
>> I reinstalled Firefox and that did not help.
>>
>> So far I created an .html and a .htm file and set the default
>> to Firefox, but that did not change the main problem
>>
>> Any words of wisdom?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> Did you set the default via FF or via W10?
> I've read that W10 sometimes refuses to ack FF or other browsers except
> Edge.
Some times W10 has its own ideas about what is the default programs, and
you must change in windows, even though the program offers the option of
changing the default, Windows does on always accept that.

0
Keith
1/9/2018 2:10:01 AM
On 01/08/2018 05:53 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just created a new user in Windows Nein, oops Windows Ten.
> When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
> it does not show in the choices.
>
> I reinstalled Firefox and that did not help.
>
> So far I created an .html and a .htm file and set the default
> to Firefox, but that did not change the main problem
>
> Any words of wisdom?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

In the registry, I manually changed

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\

to FIREFOX.EXE

And I rebooted but my Go To Assist dropped, so who knows.
On 01/08/2018 07:21 PM, T wrote:
> On 01/08/2018 05:53 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just created a new user in Windows Nein, oops Windows Ten.
>> When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
>> it does not show in the choices.
>>
>> I reinstalled Firefox and that did not help.
>>
>> So far I created an .html and a .htm file and set the default
>> to Firefox, but that did not change the main problem
>>
>> Any words of wisdom?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>

> In the registry, I manually changed
>
> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\
>
> to FIREFOX.EXE
>
> And I rebooted but my Go To Assist dropped, so who knows.

And I put his laptop on deathwatch. I was an el-cheap-o
that is over two years old (for what he paid for it, it
is a wonder it lasted this long).

The think got slower and slower, even with several real boots
(I turned off Fast Boot).

He also had a bunch of weird mail up on  his imap server.
I web mailed into it from my side and when through it with him
and removed all the jokes and such.  Thunderbird calmed down
after that too.
T wrote:

> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>
>> T wrote:
>>
>>> When I go to set the default web browser app to Firefox,
>>> it does not show in the choices.
>>
>> Did you set the default via FF or via W10?
>
> I triggered it from opening Firefox and from Firefox's preferences

Use Start>Settings>Apps>DefaultApps>WebBrowser and select Firefox

or are you saying firefox isn't on the list?

it will probably plead with you to keep Edge, but you know what to do...
0
Andy
1/9/2018 12:06:04 PM
On 01/09/2018 04:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> T wrote:
>
>> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

>>> Did you set the default via FF or via W10?
>>
>> I triggered it from opening Firefox and from Firefox's preferences
>
> Use Start>Settings>Apps>DefaultApps>WebBrowser and select Firefox
>
> or are you saying firefox isn't on the list?

Exactly.  Firefox is not on the list.

> it will probably plead with you to keep Edge, but you know what to do...

yes, the proper response is to scoff.

T wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Use Start>Settings>Apps>DefaultApps>WebBrowser and select Firefox
>> or are you saying firefox isn't on the list?
>
> Exactly.  Firefox is not on the list.

Is the user that installed firefox an admin? If not, try that.
0
Andy
1/9/2018 1:35:01 PM
On 01/09/2018 05:35 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> T wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Use Start>Settings>Apps>DefaultApps>WebBrowser and select Firefox
>>> or are you saying firefox isn't on the list?
>>
>> Exactly.  Firefox is not on the list.
>
> Is the user that installed firefox an admin? If not, try that.

He was.  :'(
On 09/01/2018 12:30, T wrote:
> On 01/09/2018 04:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> T wrote:

>>> I triggered it from opening Firefox and from Firefox's preferences
>>
>> Use Start>Settings>Apps>DefaultApps>WebBrowser and select Firefox

As above, but don't choose Web Browser. Scroll down and select 'Choose
default applications by protocol. Then select the FTP, HTTP & HTTPS
options on the left. Click on the app to the right and select Firefox

>> or are you saying firefox isn't on the list?
>

> Exactly.  Firefox is not on the list.
>

>> it will probably plead with you to keep Edge, but you know what to do...
>
> yes, the proper response is to scoff.

0
Brian
1/10/2018 1:43:21 AM
On 2018-01-09 18:11, T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 01/09/2018 05:35 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> T wrote:

>>> Exactly.  Firefox is not on the list.
>>
>> Is the user that installed firefox an admin? If not, try that.
>
> He was.  :'(

Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs? Is Firefox
listed there?

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  According 2 Intel, 1+1 equals 3, for very large values of 1.

0
B00ze
1/10/2018 4:53:44 AM
On 01/09/2018 08:53 PM, B00ze wrote:
> Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs? Is Firefox
> listed there?

No and that is the issue I need help with.  The only
ones listed a edge, explorer and go find an app in
the store.

Is there any manual registry setting I can throw.

And, yes, I do realize this is Windows 10 and I am lucky
anything works.
On 1/10/2018 11:40 AM, T wrote:
> On 01/09/2018 08:53 PM, B00ze wrote:
>> Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs? Is Firefox
>> listed there?
>
> No and that is the issue I need help with.  The only
> ones listed a edge, explorer and go find an app in
> the store.
>
> Is there any manual registry setting I can throw.
>
> And, yes, I do realize this is Windows 10 and I am lucky
> anything works.

I'm surprised.  I had no problem defaulting to Firefox and Thunderbird
in settings, aps on my new laptop.

I think the first thing I did was default to Firefox when I first
brought it up and also synced Firefox to get all my bookmarks.  Did not
think I had to do it again in settings but it is set there and Firefox
is an option.
0
Frank
1/10/2018 8:24:46 PM
On 01/10/2018 12:24 PM, Frank wrote:
> On 1/10/2018 11:40 AM, T wrote:
>> On 01/09/2018 08:53 PM, B00ze wrote:
>>> Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs? Is Firefox
>>> listed there?
>>
>> No and that is the issue I need help with.  The only
>> ones listed a edge, explorer and go find an app in
>> the store.
>>
>> Is there any manual registry setting I can throw.
>>
>> And, yes, I do realize this is Windows 10 and I am lucky
>> anything works.
>
> I'm surprised.  I had no problem defaulting to Firefox and Thunderbird
> in settings, aps on my new laptop.
>
> I think the first thing I did was default to Firefox when I first
> brought it up and also synced Firefox to get all my bookmarks.  Did not
> think I had to do it again in settings but it is set there and Firefox
> is an option.

This is the first I have seen it too.  I must have done 30 so far
in the last two months.
On 2018-01-10 15:35, T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 01/10/2018 12:24 PM, Frank wrote:
>>>
>>> No and that is the issue I need help with.  The only
>>> ones listed a edge, explorer and go find an app in
>>> the store.
>>>
>>> Is there any manual registry setting I can throw.
>>>
>>> And, yes, I do realize this is Windows 10 and I am lucky
>>> anything works.
>>
>> I'm surprised.  I had no problem defaulting to Firefox and Thunderbird
>> in settings, aps on my new laptop.
>>
>> I think the first thing I did was default to Firefox when I first
>> brought it up and also synced Firefox to get all my bookmarks.  Did
>> not think I had to do it again in settings but it is set there and
>> Firefox is an option.
>
> This is the first I have seen it too.  I must have done 30 so far
> in the last two months.

Kinda basic suggestion, but maybe the user profile did not create
correctly? What happens if you create another? Also, if Firefox is there
under local admin but no longer there for any new user, there might be a
way - you can export file associations while under admin and re-import
them (Still as admin) as defaults for new users. Not sure if this will
fix Firefox missing from available programs, but at least all the
filetypes and protocols should be correctly associated to Firefox.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8744-export-import-default-app-associations-new-users-windows.html

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  Gravity is a myth <> The earth sucks.

0
B00ze
1/11/2018 5:32:48 AM
On 01/10/2018 09:32 PM, B00ze wrote:
> On 2018-01-10 15:35, T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'm surprised.  I had no problem defaulting to Firefox and Thunderbird
>>> in settings, aps on my new laptop.
>>>
>>> I think the first thing I did was default to Firefox when I first
>>> brought it up and also synced Firefox to get all my bookmarks.  Did
>>> not think I had to do it again in settings but it is set there and
>>> Firefox is an option.
>>
>> This is the first I have seen it too.  I must have done 30 so far
>> in the last two months.
>
> Kinda basic suggestion, but maybe the user profile did not create
> correctly? What happens if you create another? Also, if Firefox is there
> under local admin but no longer there for any new user, there might be a
> way - you can export file associations while under admin and re-import
> them (Still as admin) as defaults for new users. Not sure if this will
> fix Firefox missing from available programs, but at least all the
> filetypes and protocols should be correctly associated to Firefox.
>
> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8744-export-import-default-app-associations-new-users-windows.html
>

> Best Regards,

Hi B00ze,

I put his laptop of death watch.  He got slower and slower and more
annoying to work on despite frequent actual reboots (not fast boots).

His original user account said it was a "local account" but required a
"web" logon.  So I created a fresh local account (I despise their
web accounts) and copied over his Documents, etc..

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox.  No joy.  So I
used the file manager and set .html and .htm to Firefox and
also set the default browser to Firefox in the registry.
The default browser was still set to Edge.

I promptly lost my Go To Assist connection.  By that point, I'd
had it with his crappy laptop and put it on death watch.
I sent him a template I have for a Lenovo business class laptop.

So, something else is going on that is making his computer unstable,
probably his hardware.  It is over two years old and was purchased for
under 400 U$D.  Two years is about what he paid for, if not a
bit better.

-T