vertical scrollbar

When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and drag
right just a little, it appears.

Thoughts?

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/14/2018 6:33:12 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24202 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

--------------F9AC56C6EAFB1147EC868F82

On 14/04/2018 19:33, Ed Mullen wrote:
> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and
> drag right just a little, it appears.
>
> Thoughts?

Screen resolution?

--------------F9AC56C6EAFB1147EC868F82

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:mailman.396.1523737198.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org">When
      I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
      vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and
      drag right just a little, it appears.
      Thoughts?
    Screen resolution?<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------F9AC56C6EAFB1147EC868F82--
0
Good
4/14/2018 8:30:56 PM
On 4/14/2018 at 4:30 PM, Good Guy created this epitome of digital genius:
> On 14/04/2018 19:33, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
>> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and
>> drag right just a little, it appears.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Screen resolution?
>

> --
> With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Total screen is 1920x1080, browser not maximized.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/14/2018 9:06:43 PM
In message
<mailman.397.1523737889.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Good
Guy <Hello.World@example.com> writes:
>On 14/04/2018 19:33, Ed Mullen wrote:
>  When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
>  vertical scrollbar is not showing.� If I grab the right border and
>  drag right just a little, it appears.
>  Thoughts?

Is it all such pages, or only some? I've seen ones where the coding is
bad enough to make things like that happen, but not all.

>Screen resolution?

Shouldn't prevent scrollbars from appearing - and Ed's not using a
full-screen window, anyway, if he can move the border.

Increasingly, web designers are designing as if they're using .pdf; HTML
should _not_ be seen as a fixed-size design method - text should rewrap
to suit the window width, at least until you get to a ridiculously
narrow window. It should _never_ be necessary to scroll _horizontally_
to be able to read the text on a web page, but far too often it is,
these days.

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells
On 04/14/2018 02:33 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and drag
> right just a little, it appears.
>
> Thoughts?

Are you running Windows, Linux or Mac.

I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it's that way on a lot of windows.
I think it's design.  And I hate it too.

Al
0
Big
4/14/2018 11:20:40 PM
On 4/14/2018 at 7:20 PM, Big Al created this epitome of digital genius:
> On 04/14/2018 02:33 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
>> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and
>> drag right just a little, it appears.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> Are you running Windows, Linux or Mac.
>
> I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it's that way on a lot of windows. I
> think it's design.  And I hate it too.
>
> Al

Win 10 Pro.  Standard theme.

But it's not page design because it is any page I go to after opening FF.

Hmm.  Weird.  I restarted in Safe Mode and the scrollbar appears.
Restarted.  Disabled all add-ons. Restarted.  No scrollbar! WTF?

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/15/2018 3:08:34 PM
On 04/14/2018 03:30 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> On 14/04/2018 19:33, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
>> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and
>> drag right just a little, it appears.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Screen resolution?

The scrollbar would be hidden if somehow the FF window was larger than
the screen (this is possible). However, then it would not be possible to
grab the right border (since it's off the screen, a little farther than
the scrollbar).

[pork-scented sig snipped]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"File Linking Error. Your mistake is now in every file."
0
Mark
4/15/2018 4:57:28 PM
On 04/14/2018 05:21 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

>> Screen resolution?
>
> Shouldn't prevent scrollbars from appearing - and Ed's not using a
> full-screen window, anyway, if he can move the border.

And if the scrollbar was not visible because of screen resolution,
moving the right edge to the RIGHT couldn't help. The scrollbar would be
even further off the screen. Moving it LEFT might help (if it was off
the screen).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"File Linking Error. Your mistake is now in every file."
0
Mark
4/15/2018 5:00:12 PM
On 04/14/2018 07:20 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 04/14/2018 02:33 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
>> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and drag
>> right just a little, it appears.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> Are you running Windows, Linux or Mac.
>
> I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it's that way on a lot of windows.
> I think it's design.  And I hate it too.
>
> Al

Ubuntu 16.04 and have never seen that behavior. I doubt that it's Firefox.

--
Caver1
0
> On 04/14/2018 07:20 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 04/14/2018 02:33 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> When I open FF and go to a page that is longer than the viewport the
>>> vertical scrollbar is not showing.  If I grab the right border and drag
>>> right just a little, it appears.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> Are you running Windows, Linux or Mac.
>>
>> I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it's that way on a lot of windows.
>> I think it's design.  And I hate it too.
>>
>> Al
>>

> Ubuntu 16.04 and have never seen that behavior. I doubt that it's Firefox.

It is not site specific, it is any page I go to after opening FF. It is
something to do with my setup since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode.
But, I disabled all add-ons and it still happens.  So it's got to be a
pref but I can't figure out what.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/16/2018 1:25:24 PM
On 04/16/2018 09:25 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/15/2018 at 4:37 PM, Caver1 created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> Are you running Windows, Linux or Mac.
>>>
>>> I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it's that way on a lot of windows.
>>> I think it's design.  And I hate it too.
>>>
>>> Al
>>>

>> Ubuntu 16.04 and have never seen that behavior. I doubt that it's Firefox.
>>

> It is not site specific, it is any page I go to after opening FF. It is
> something to do with my setup since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode.
> But, I disabled all add-ons and it still happens.  So it's got to be a
> pref but I can't figure out what.

At this point it can be very time consuming to figure out what pref,
unless you are lucky.
I have been there.

--
Caver1
0
On 04/16/2018 01:24 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 04/16/2018 09:25 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Ubuntu 16.04 and have never seen that behavior. I doubt that it's Firefox.
>>>

>> It is not site specific, it is any page I go to after opening FF. It is
>> something to do with my setup since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode.
>> But, I disabled all add-ons and it still happens.  So it's got to be a
>> pref but I can't figure out what.
>>

> At this point it can be very time consuming to figure out what pref,
> unless you are lucky.
> I have been there.

How about userChrome.css. Do you use it?

--
Caver1
0
> On 04/16/2018 01:24 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>> On 04/16/2018 09:25 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> On 4/15/2018 at 4:37 PM, Caver1 created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> It is not site specific, it is any page I go to after opening FF. It is
>>> something to do with my setup since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode.
>>> But, I disabled all add-ons and it still happens.  So it's got to be a
>>> pref but I can't figure out what.
>>>

>> At this point it can be very time consuming to figure out what pref,
>> unless you are lucky.
>> I have been there.
>>

> How about userChrome.css. Do you use it?

Yes I do.  But that's not it.  Renamed it and started FF and no
scrollbar still.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/17/2018 1:41:31 PM
On 04/17/2018 09:41 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, Caver1 created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> At this point it can be very time consuming to figure out what pref,
>>> unless you are lucky.
>>> I have been there.
>>>

>> How about userChrome.css. Do you use it?
>>

> Yes I do.  But that's not it.  Renamed it and started FF and no
> scrollbar still.

How about a new profile with nothing added?

--
Caver1
0
> On 04/17/2018 09:41 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> How about userChrome.css. Do you use it?
>>>

>> Yes I do.  But that's not it.  Renamed it and started FF and no
>> scrollbar still.
>>

> How about a new profile with nothing added?

Of course I could do that.  But without knowing the problem's cause I
could quite possibly wind up with the same problem after getting the new
profile working like the old one.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/18/2018 2:17:39 PM
On 04/18/2018 10:17 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Caver1 created this epitome of digital genius:
>> On 04/17/2018 09:41 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> On 4/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, Caver1 created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> Yes I do.  But that's not it.  Renamed it and started FF and no
>>> scrollbar still.
>>>

>> How about a new profile with nothing added?
>>

> Of course I could do that.  But without knowing the problem's cause I
> could quite possibly wind up with the same problem after getting the new
> profile working like the old one.

That's always a possibility. Starting with a new profile after other
troubleshooting means fails will show definitely whether or not it is a
profile problem or an install problem.
If it is an install problem then adding to the new profile won't do any
good.
I had a problem I couldn't figure out once that I couldn't figure out
that turned out to be something that I had added to my userChrome.css
eliminating the addons did no good but trying the new profile showed me
that I had to dig deeper. Took awhile to find that one. sometimes it
could be a preference change in about:config that an addon didn't cause.
One time I had a bad profile. Once I added everything back to a new
profile everything was fine. That is still a head scratcher.
Testing with a new profile is just one testing tool to use after you try
other obvious things.
--
Caver1
0