URL Loads in Safe Mode, Not With All Add-ons Disabled

I was trying to load:

http://eeditionnytimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/accountingloginse2_nytimes.aspx

and the page wouldn't load.  In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.  Using Chrome, no
problem.  What's the most likely cause and what is the suggested fix?

Win 10 Home, ver. 1709 up to date using the Windows firewall without
modification and Avast Free Antivirus (up to date program and anti-virus
files) with all shields active.

FF 60.0.  Installed add-ons: Ad Block Plus, Empty Cache Button, Forecast
Fox (fix version), Last Pass, No Squint Plus, and Privacy Badger.

Thanks for your thoughts.
0
Peter
5/11/2018 7:05:23 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24314 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On Fri, 11 May 2018 15:05:23 -0400, Peter
<HapilyRetired@junkaddress.com> wrote:

>I was trying to load:
>

>http://eeditionnytimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/accountingloginse2_nytimes.aspx
>
>and the page wouldn't load.  In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
>disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.  Using Chrome, no
>problem.  What's the most likely cause and what is the suggested fix?
>
>Win 10 Home, ver. 1709 up to date using the Windows firewall without
>modification and Avast Free Antivirus (up to date program and anti-virus
>files) with all shields active.
>
>FF 60.0.  Installed add-ons: Ad Block Plus, Empty Cache Button, Forecast
>Fox (fix version), Last Pass, No Squint Plus, and Privacy Badger.

I can't tell you what your problem is, but I can tell you that it
loads here with FF60 without a problem.
0
Ken
5/11/2018 7:31:07 PM
On 5/11/2018 3:05 PM, Peter wrote:
> I was trying to load:
>

> http://eeditionnytimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/accountingloginse2_nytimes.aspx
>

> and the page wouldn't load.� In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
> disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.� Using Chrome, no
> problem.� What's the most likely cause and what is the suggested fix?
>
> Win 10 Home, ver. 1709 up to date using the Windows firewall without
> modification and Avast Free Antivirus (up to date program and anti-virus
> files) with all shields active.
>
> FF 60.0.� Installed add-ons: Ad Block Plus, Empty Cache Button, Forecast
> Fox (fix version), Last Pass, No Squint Plus, and Privacy Badger.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

If you have a shield on the left side of the search bar left click it
and turn off Tracking Protection.
0
Hank
5/11/2018 9:12:29 PM
On 11-5-2018 21:05, Peter wrote:
> I was trying to load:
>

> http://eeditionnytimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/accountingloginse2_nytimes.aspx
>
> and the page wouldn't load.  In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
> disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.  Using Chrome, no
> problem.  What's the most likely cause and what is the suggested fix?
>
> Win 10 Home, ver. 1709 up to date using the Windows firewall without
> modification and Avast Free Antivirus (up to date program and anti-virus
> files) with all shields active.
>
> FF 60.0.  Installed add-ons: Ad Block Plus, Empty Cache Button, Forecast
> Fox (fix version), Last Pass, No Squint Plus, and Privacy Badger.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

Loads fine here (FF45ESR , XP PRO SP3),
so start hating w10.......
0
Sjouke
5/11/2018 9:13:42 PM
On 5/11/2018 3:05 PM, Peter wrote:
> I was trying to load:
>

> http://eeditionnytimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/accountingloginse2_nytimes.aspx
>

> and the page wouldn't load.� In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
> disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.� Using Chrome, no
> problem.� What's the most likely cause and what is the suggested fix?
>
> Win 10 Home, ver. 1709 up to date using the Windows firewall without
> modification and Avast Free Antivirus (up to date program and anti-virus
> files) with all shields active.
>
> FF 60.0.� Installed add-ons: Ad Block Plus, Empty Cache Button, Forecast
> Fox (fix version), Last Pass, No Squint Plus, and Privacy Badger.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.

Loads OK here using FF 61.0b3 (64-bit) under W10 v1803. Didn't need to
disable any add-ons -- Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin are
all I have though. Which all goes to say that I don't have a clue as to
your problem but that it isn't an impossible goal.
0
John
5/11/2018 11:11:54 PM
In article <mailman.143.1526065553.2160.support-
firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, HapilyRetired@junkaddress.com says...
> In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
> disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.

Besides disabling add-ons, Safe Mode also temporarily disables "hardware
acceleration".

If it is "hardware acceleration" causing issues, you can turn it off by
going into Menu -> Options, "General" side-tab, then scrolling down to
the "Performance" section. UN-check "Use recommended performance
settings" to reveal additional settings. Then UN-check "Use hardware
acceleration when available." I don't know if you have to quit and
restart Firefox to have the changed settings take effect.

There are also other about:config settings that are ignored in Safe
Mode. For example, privacy.resistFingerprinting is normally False, but
if you had set it to True the User Agent string might be confusing the
website.
0
Mark12547
5/11/2018 11:17:19 PM
On 2018-05-11 19:17, Mark12547 <mark12547@xyzzy.invalid> wrote:

> In article <mailman.143.1526065553.2160.support-
> firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, HapilyRetired@junkaddress.com says...
>> In safe mode, no problem. However, when I
>> disabled all my FF add-ons, it still wouldn't load.
>
> Besides disabling add-ons, Safe Mode also temporarily disables
> hardware acceleration.
> [snip]
>
> There are also other about:config settings that are ignored in Safe
> Mode. For example, privacy.resistFingerprinting is normally False, but
> if you had set it to True the User Agent string might be confusing the
> website.

As far as I know it returns MOST about:config settings to default.
So I'd say the issue is something in User.js, if Mark is using that.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  "640K ought to be enough for anyone." -Gates

0
B00ze
5/12/2018 2:16:17 AM
On 5/11/2018 7:17 PM, Mark12547 wrote:
> In article <mailman.143.1526065553.2160.support-
> firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, HapilyRetired@junkaddress.com says...
>> In safe mode, no problem. However, when I disabled all my FF
>> add-ons, it still wouldn't load.
>>

> Besides disabling add-ons, Safe Mode also temporarily disables
> "hardware acceleration".
>
> If it is "hardware acceleration" causing issues, you can turn it off
> by going into Menu -> Options, "General" side-tab, then scrolling
> down to the "Performance" section. UN-check "Use recommended
> performance settings" to reveal additional settings. Then UN-check
> "Use hardware acceleration when available." I don't know if you have
> to quit and restart Firefox to have the changed settings take
> effect.
>
> There are also other about:config settings that are ignored in Safe
> Mode. For example, privacy.resistFingerprinting is normally False,
> but if you had set it to True the User Agent string might be
> confusing the website.

Thanks to all who replied.  Hank suggested clicking the shield that
appeared on the left side of the address bar.  That allowed the site to
render all the text (and enabled the site to at least be functional) but
no graphics or color.  However, Mark, your suggestion - turning off
hardware acceleration (which was hidden because the "Use recommended
performance settings" was checked - I suspect by default - caused the
page to render in its entirety.  I'm leaving hardware acceleration off,
as I don't notice any performance slowdown even though I'm using a 5-6
year old Dell (XPS 8300) desktop.  Thanks again.  Problem resolved!
0
Peter
5/12/2018 10:15:46 AM
On 05/11/2018 04:12 PM, Hank wrote:

[snip]

> If you have a shield on the left side of the search bar left click it
> and turn off Tracking Protection.

Its the address bar, but that's what I did to get it to work.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"So, how come there are no "talking snakes" nowadays? ... Because you
are not righteous enough to hear them talk." [Raoul Newton,
net.fundie.idiot]
0
Mark