Updating Of Extensions To Web Extensions - Done Automatically ?

I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no longer
shows the legacy sign.

However "Adblock Plus" by Mr Palant is still showing legacy. With all
the users of this extension I cannot understand why it hasn't updated.Is
everyone else still using the legacy version like myself ?

Michael

---

Michael
10/8/2017 5:11:06 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23860 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 2017-10-08 1:11 PM, Michael wrote:
> I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
> latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no longer
> shows the legacy sign.
>
> However "Adblock Plus" by Mr Palant is still showing legacy. With all
> the users of this extension I cannot understand why it hasn't updated.Is
> everyone else still using the legacy version like myself ?

According to
<https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/web-extensions-builds-are-now-the-official-adblock-plus-for-firefox-development-builds>,
the development version is a WebExtention.
Firefox 57 is still a month away, so there's time.

With that said, I recommend you use uBlock Origin instead of AdBlock Plus.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 10/8/17 7:11 PM, Michael wrote:
> I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
> latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no longer
> shows the legacy sign.
>
> However "Adblock Plus" by Mr Palant is still showing legacy. With all
> the users of this extension I cannot understand why it hasn't updated.

The prep work has already been done for Adblock Plus, so I'd expect it
will update to the webextension version prior to the release of FF57.
https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/new-data-storage-in-adblock-plus-for-firefox
https://adblockplus.org/blog/the-plan-towards-offering-adblock-plus-for-firefox-as-a-web-extension

> Is
> everyone else still using the legacy version like myself ?

If you don't want to wait you can install an ABP development build. It's
also available from AMO. Works well for me with FF57 beta.

> Michael
>
> ---

Oh please, stop this crap.

0
Christian
10/8/2017 5:37:39 PM
On 10/8/17 7:23 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-10-08 1:11 PM, Michael wrote:
>> I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
>> latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no
>> longer shows the legacy sign.
>>
>> However "Adblock Plus" by Mr Palant is still showing legacy. With all
>> the users of this extension I cannot understand why it hasn't
>> updated.Is everyone else still using the legacy version like myself ?
>
> According to
> <https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/web-extensions-builds-are-now-the-official-adblock-plus-for-firefox-development-builds>,
> the development version is a WebExtention.
> Firefox 57 is still a month away, so there's time.
>
> With that said, I recommend you use uBlock Origin instead of AdBlock Plus.

Why?

0
Christian
10/8/2017 5:38:44 PM
Dne 08/10/2017 v 19:11 Michael napsal(a):
> I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
> latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no longer
> shows the legacy sign.
>
> However "Adblock Plus" by Mr Palant is still showing legacy. With all
> the users of this extension I cannot understand why it hasn't updated.Is
> everyone else still using the legacy version like myself ?

Generally , webextension migration status
of many widely used extensions can be monitored here:

https://arewewebextensionsyet.com

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
0
Poutnik
10/8/2017 5:42:58 PM
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 13:23:30 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:

> Firefox 57 is still a month away, so there's time.

ATM around 5.000 out of 25.000 add-ons are WebExtensions. Only 20.000 to
go, but we still got a full month...

--
s|b
In article <mailman.1030.1507482700.16832.support-
> I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
> latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no longer
> shows the legacy sign.

I don't know who wrote AdBlocker Ultimate, but it isn't the same person
who wrote AdBlock Plus.

If you want to continue using AdBlock Plus, the author is planning on
having the WebExtensions variant available in the addons.mozilla.org
(AMO) release channel available before Firefox 57 is placed on the
Release Channel. When an updated AdBlock Plus is placed on the AMO
release channel, your Firefox should automatically update to that
version within a day (or sooner if you go to the Hamburger Menu -> add-
ons -> extensions page, click on the gear, and click on "Check for
updates").

If you _need_ a WebExtensions version of AdBlock Plus before then, you
can download a version from the Development Channel of AMO here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-
plus/versions/beta

Note that this is a development version and might not be quite finished.

Also note that once you install AdBlock Plus from the AMO Development
Channel, you will NOT get updated to the AMO Release Channel if a newer
version is posted on the AMO Release Channel, so at a later date you may
need to install again, but from the AMO Release Channel

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Personally, I prefer uBlock Origin because under equivalent conditions
it is faster and take less memory than AdBlock Plus.

Of course, uBlock Origin and AdBlock Plus each have their strengths and
weaknesses. But if you want to compare, it may be better to compare the
WebExtensions version of AdBlock Plus against uBlock Origin (which is
already WebExtensions) because some features may have had to be skipped
for the WebExtensions versions.

0
Mark12547
10/9/2017 10:20:33 PM
Ublock Origin is not for me ,there are too many options  when compared
with Adblock Plus. Adblocker Ultimate is good so may stick with that on
its own until a stable release of the web extension for Adblock Plus is
released
Michael

> Of course, uBlock Origin and AdBlock Plus each have their strengths and
> weaknesses. But if you want to compare, it may be better to compare the
> WebExtensions version of AdBlock Plus against uBlock Origin (which is
> already WebExtensions) because some features may have had to be skipped
> for the WebExtensions versions.

---

Michael
10/10/2017 10:34:27 AM
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:34:27 +0100, Michael wrote:

> Ublock Origin is not for me ,there are too many options  when compared
> with Adblock Plus.

That's only when you choose the "advanced" settings, no?

--
s|b
Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 10/8/17 7:23 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 2017-10-08 1:11 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> I use two adblockers "Adblock Plus" and "Adblocker Ultimate" . The
>>> latter extension updated automatically to a web extension and no
>>> longer shows the legacy sign.
>>>
>>> However "Adblock Plus" by Mr Palant is still showing legacy. With all
>>> the users of this extension I cannot understand why it hasn't
>>> updated.Is everyone else still using the legacy version like myself ?
>>
>> According to
>> <https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/web-extensions-builds-are-now-the-official-adblock-plus-for-firefox-development-builds>,
>> the development version is a WebExtention.
>> Firefox 57 is still a month away, so there's time.
>>
>> With that said, I recommend you use uBlock Origin instead of AdBlock Plus.
>
> Why?

It blocks more things and is easier to set up.  If you want to use
another subacription, you just check another checkbox.
0
EE