Updating Firefox #3

I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
43.0.1. My questions:

1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?

2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
file.

--
Thank you,
Jo-Anne

On 4/8/2018 at 12:42 PM, Jo-Anne created this epitome of digital genius:
> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
> 43.0.1. My questions:
>
> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?
>
> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
> file.

First, why are you using such an old version of FF?  Current version is
59.0.2

But, anyway, read this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

To back up your profile simply copy the folder to a safe place.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/8/2018 4:51:02 PM
On 4/8/2018 12:42 PM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
> 43.0.1. My questions:
>
> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?
>
> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
> file.

The current version is 59.0.2

As I remember Firefox changed the structure of some of the files in the
Profile, so the old files can only be imported into the current version

Only a few plugins will work with the current version, and many old
addon will not work.   On the positive side many of the old popular
addons have be adapted to the new system.

I was some what reluctant to update. but the addons were revised quickly
I miss nothing from the old addons, and enjoy the current version with
its addons and plugins.

Once you have installed the latest version, Copy the old profile to the
new install folders. When you start Firefox the old profile will be
automatically imported.
0
Keith
4/8/2018 5:32:04 PM
Keith Nuttle wrote:

> Jo-Anne wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
>> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
>> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
>> 43.0.1.
>
> The current version is 59.0.2

As I recall a ways back, Firefox's internal updater couldn't jump to the
latest version.  The user had to upgrade to a lesser but later version
and then could jump from that version to the latest version (available
at that time).  If you downloaded the update file yourself, you could
make the jump in one step.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/get-latest-version-firefox-windows-xp-vista

The OP never mentioned her OS or its version.  If she is using Windows
XP then Firefox ESR 52 is the latest she can get (after either using
Firefox's auto-updater to move to 43.0.1 and then update again or
download the ESR 52 installer).
0
VanguardLH
4/8/2018 6:30:02 PM
On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 11:42:27 -0500, Jo-Anne wrote:

> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?

Should be. You can always make a backup of your Profile folder. As for
add-ons: if you install Fx 52.x ESR you can hold on to them for a while.

> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
> file.

Simply backup your Profile folder.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles#w_backing-up-your-profile>

--
s|b
On 04/08/2018 12:32 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

[snip]

> The current version is 59.0.2

Maybe 43 is as far as FF will update at one time. Once on 43, it will
allow further updates. I have several virtual machines I don't update
very often, and it can take more than one update cycle.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We didn't send you to Washington to make intelligent decisions. We sent
you to represent us." [Kent York, Baptist minister to US Rep. Bill
Sarpalius]
0
Mark
--------------5C5B1862CDFFD25EC03D03ED

On 08/04/2018 17:42, Jo-Anne wrote:
> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
> 43.0.1. My questions:

59.0.2 is the latest.

> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all
> my data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?

All updates are seamless.  I download the full installer file and
install it as normal and it will upgrade the machine automatically.

> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find
> that material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer
> being supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of
> Firefox.) So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file
> and as an html file.

Backup in Mozilla terms is to copy the WHOLE user profile somewhere
else.  There are add-ons but I don't normally use them.

--------------5C5B1862CDFFD25EC03D03ED

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:mailman.145.1523205782.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org">I'm
      currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
      the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
      properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should
      be 43.0.1. My questions:
    59.0.2 is the latest.  <br>
      cite="mid:mailman.145.1523205782.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org">
      1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain
      all my data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported
      by Firefox)?
    All updates are seamless.  I download the full installer file and
    install it as normal and it will upgrade the machine automatically.<br>
      cite="mid:mailman.145.1523205782.2177.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org">
      2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I
      find that material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no
      longer being supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer
      versions of Firefox.) So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as
      a .json file and as an html file.
    Backup in Mozilla terms is to copy the WHOLE user profile somewhere
    else.  There are add-ons but I don't normally use them.<br>
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>

--------------5C5B1862CDFFD25EC03D03ED--
0
Good
4/8/2018 7:20:10 PM
On 04/08/2018 03:04 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 04/08/2018 12:32 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The current version is 59.0.2
>
> Maybe 43 is as far as FF will update at one time. Once on 43, it will
> allow further updates. I have several virtual machines I don't update
> very often, and it can take more than one update cycle.
>
> [snip]

That's what happens.  It might make 2 or 3 update jumps to get to 59.0.2

0
Big
4/8/2018 7:26:40 PM
On 4/8/2018 2:42 PM, s|b wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 11:42:27 -0500, Jo-Anne wrote:
>
>> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
>> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?
>
> Should be. You can always make a backup of your Profile folder. As for
> add-ons: if you install Fx 52.x ESR you can hold on to them for a while.
>
>> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
>> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
>> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
>> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
>> file.
>
> Simply backup your Profile folder.
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles#w_backing-up-your-profile>

I just checked and the article that I found said the the next ESR
version, 60 ESR, will be released in August 2018.

So if you upgrade to version 52.X ESR and try to keep the old addons and
extensions, you will only have them for 4 months, and you will be facing
another major update with the accompaning distruption.  Timewise to me
it makes sense to do the big upgrade now and not have to repeat it in
August.
0
Keith
4/8/2018 8:57:11 PM
On 2018-04-08 12:42, Jo-Anne wrote:
> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
> 43.0.1. My questions:
>
> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?
>
> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
> file.

a) Find and download the latest ESR version of Firefox (I'm on 52.7.3)

b) Start Firefox, don't bother opening any tabs, and shut it down.

c) Copy the bookmarks files into the new Profile (they will overwrite
what's been created there).

d) Restart FF, you should have all your bookmarks back.

If customisation and extensions are important to you, back the whole
Profile, and copy it over the new one. Some of the old extensions will
not work, newer versions or replacements may be available. Same for
miscellaneous customisation ("Themes" have gone bonkers IMO: all kinds
of weird pictures overlaying the things you need to see clearly. Bah!)

Good luck.

Whatever you do, back up the Profile!

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
Keith Nuttle wrote:
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
>> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
>> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
>> 43.0.1. My questions:
>
> The current version is 59.0.2
> Only a few plugins will work with the current version, and many old
> addon will not work.

Which is exactly why I'd suggest Jo-Anne to install the ESR version.

-p

0
PietB
4/9/2018 7:52:21 AM
Keith Nuttle wrote:
> I just checked and the article that I found said the the next
> ESR version, 60 ESR, will be released in August 2018.

I seem to recall that 60 and beyond will no longer support stuff
like Flash, whether you need it or not.

> So if you upgrade to version 52.X ESR and try to keep the old
> addons and extensions, you will only have them for 4 months

You don't *have to* "upgrade" after those 4 months. Chances are
high that, if you stop "upgrading" beyond 52.x, you won't have
any problems.
As a matter of fact, I've completely switched to PaleMoon, which
is based on a much older FF version. With one (!) exception all
sites that I need to visit work like a charm.

> and you will be facing another major update with the accompaning
> distruption.  Timewise to me it makes sense to do the big upgrade
> now and not have to repeat it in August.

I fully disagree: see above.

-p

0
PietB
4/9/2018 8:02:02 AM
Jo-Anne wrote:
> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
> 43.0.1. My questions:
>
> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?
>
> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
> file.

You can back up your profile manually.  You can still get Firefox to
find it for you, right?  Use Help > Troubleshooting Information.

0
EE
4/9/2018 4:58:45 PM
On 2018-04-09 4:02 AM, PietB wrote:
> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> I just checked and the article that I found said the the next
>> ESR version, 60 ESR, will be released in August 2018.
>
> I seem to recall that 60 and beyond will no longer support stuff
> like Flash, whether you need it or not.

Flash support is planned to end sometime around 2019-2020.

>> So if you upgrade to version 52.X ESR and try to keep the old
>> addons and extensions, you will only have them for 4 months
>
> You don't *have to* "upgrade" after those 4 months. Chances are
> high that, if you stop "upgrading" beyond 52.x, you won't have
> any problems.
> As a matter of fact, I've completely switched to PaleMoon, which
> is based on a much older FF version. With one (!) exception all
> sites that I need to visit work like a charm.

Given the information Jo-Anne (the person who started this thread)
provided, updating to the latest version should be fine, so long as she
backs up her profile before updating.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 16:57:11 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

> I just checked and the article that I found said the the next ESR
> version, 60 ESR, will be released in August 2018.
>
> So if you upgrade to version 52.X ESR and try to keep the old addons and
> extensions, you will only have them for 4 months, and you will be facing
> another major update with the accompaning distruption.  Timewise to me
> it makes sense to do the big upgrade now and not have to repeat it in
> August.

That's all fine if your add-ons are transformed into WebExtensions, but
that's not always the case. For me, there still isn't a decent
alternative to Tab Groups and I will hang on to it for as long as I can
by using an ESR version that still supports that add-on.

--
s|b
Chris Ilias wrote:
> PietB wrote:
>> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>> I just checked and the article that I found said the the next
>>> ESR version, 60 ESR, will be released in August 2018.
>>
>> I seem to recall that 60 and beyond will no longer support stuff
>> like Flash, whether you need it or not.
>
> Flash support is planned to end sometime around 2019-2020.

Which gives you a *lot* more time than the breakdown by 60 ESR.
And end of support doesn't necessarily mean end of life.

-p

0
PietB
4/10/2018 12:25:39 AM
On 4/8/2018 11:42 AM, Jo-Anne wrote:
> I'm currently using Firefox 39.0.3. I'm being forced to update because
> the webpages of some retailers (Amazon included) no longer work
> properly. When I checked for updates, I was told my update should be
> 43.0.1. My questions:
>
> 1. Is this update pretty seamless? In other words, will it retain all my
> data and settings (except for add-ons no longer supported by Firefox)?
>
> 2. In case of a problem, what should I back up--and where do I find that
> material? (In the past, I've used Mozbackup, but it's no longer being
> supported, so I worry that it won't work for newer versions of Firefox.)
> So far, I've backed up my bookmarks--both as a .json file and as an html
> file.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I'll try updating to 43.0.1,
as Firefox has suggested--and then I'll decide whether to continue to
later versions. (I'll also copy my Profile before I start.) The last
time I did a Firefox update, it changed things dramatically. I'm hoping
this update won't be as drastic.
--
Jo-Anne
0