Updating a Mac

I don't normally work with Mac, but I've managed to acquire an old one
(new enough to still be supported) that I can use for testing and support.

I installed Firefox 57.0.1 on this machine several weeks ago, and am
getting around to checking for updates now. With Windows, I'm used to
being able to force an update by going to Help -> About, but in this
particular installation, if I go to Help, there's no option for About in
the drop-down menu. If I go to about: from the address bar, it confirms
that I'm running 57.0.1, but I'm not seeing any way of upgrading, short
of downloading a new copy and installing from that.

Is this something peculiar to the Mac version of Firefox, this
particular install, or something else?

Smith
0
NFN
1/12/2018 10:13:21 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24318 articles. 8 followers. Post Follow

On 2018-01-12 5:13 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
> I don't normally work with Mac, but I've managed to acquire an old one
> (new enough to still be supported) that I can use for testing and support.
>
> I installed Firefox 57.0.1 on this machine several weeks ago, and am
> getting around to checking for updates now. With Windows, I'm used to
> being able to force an update by going to Help -> About, but in this
> particular installation, if I go to Help, there's no option for About in
> the drop-down menu. If I go to about: from the address bar, it confirms
> that I'm running 57.0.1, but I'm not seeing any way of upgrading, short
> of downloading a new copy and installing from that.
>
> Is this something peculiar to the Mac version of Firefox, this
> particular install, or something else?

On all Mac applications, the "About", "Preferences" and "Quit" functions
are found through the product menu. In this case, there should be a menu
called "Firefox", so the path is Firefox-->About_Firefox.

When looking up instructions on
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version>, it
should adjust the text and images to the operating system you are using,
but you can change it by clicking on "EDITING TOOLS", and changing the
OS under "CUSTOMIZE THIS ARTICLE".

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
On 1/12/18 5:13 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
> I don't normally work with Mac, but I've managed to acquire an old one
> (new enough to still be supported) that I can use for testing and
> support.
>
> I installed Firefox 57.0.1 on this machine several weeks ago, and am
> getting around to checking for updates now. With Windows, I'm used to
> being able to force an update by going to Help -> About, but in this
> particular installation, if I go to Help, there's no option for About
> in the drop-down menu. If I go to about: from the address bar, it
> confirms that I'm running 57.0.1, but I'm not seeing any way of
> upgrading, short of downloading a new copy and installing from that.
>
> Is this something peculiar to the Mac version of Firefox, this
> particular install, or something else?
>
> Smith

Click on the word FIREFOX on top left of screen (far left of FF tool bar).
Click on About Firefox
Should get a popup with a Check for Updates button
0
Reed
1/12/2018 10:43:40 PM
Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Is this something peculiar to the Mac version of Firefox, this
>> particular install, or something else?
>
> On all Mac applications, the "About", "Preferences" and "Quit" functions
> are found through the product menu. In this case, there should be a menu
> called "Firefox", so the path is Firefox-->About_Firefox.
>
> When looking up instructions on
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version>, it
> should adjust the text and images to the operating system you are using,
> but you can change it by clicking on "EDITING TOOLS", and changing the
> OS under "CUSTOMIZE THIS ARTICLE".

There it is.  I always get tripped up by the product menu.  That's
actually part of why I have this Mac -- I do a measure of support for
Mac users, and it helps that I actually know enough of the Mac UI to
know how to get around.

I just updated, and everything is behaving the way I want.

Thanks.

Smith

0
NFN