unknown tabs open up at startup

whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to -

file:///C:/Program
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=files
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=firefox

i have set homepage to about:blank. have also checked other possible
sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as
to why they open up. this happens every time. if i use safe mode then it
is clean.

initially i neglected it for lack of enough time to deal with it; but
now it's getting irritating.

what is this? spyware? but spyware doctor doesnt detect any.
0
Shreyas
1/12/2006 4:13:21 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24197 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

11 Replies
813 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 4

Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
> whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to -
> 
> file:///C:/Program
> http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=files 
> 
> http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=firefox 
> 
> 
> i have set homepage to about:blank. have also checked other possible
> sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as
> to why they open up. this happens every time. if i use safe mode then it
> is clean.
> 
> initially i neglected it for lack of enough time to deal with it; but
> now it's getting irritating.
> 
> what is this? spyware? but spyware doctor doesnt detect any.

Fudge, I just answered this at the old group. :) In this group, look for 
Chris Ilias's post on Home page versus Start page.  You should find your 
answer there as well.

Lee

-- 
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/12/2006 4:42:56 PM
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
> 
>>whenever i open firefox, 3 tabs automatically open up pointing to -
>>
>>file:///C:/Program
>>http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=files 
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=firefox 
>>
>>
>>i have set homepage to about:blank. have also checked other possible
>>sources(like ini files and config files) but couldnt find the reason as
>>to why they open up. this happens every time. if i use safe mode then it
>>is clean.
>>
>>initially i neglected it for lack of enough time to deal with it; but
>>now it's getting irritating.
>>
>>what is this? spyware? but spyware doctor doesnt detect any.
> 
> 
> Fudge, I just answered this at the old group. :) In this group, look for 
> Chris Ilias's post on Home page versus Start page.  You should find your 
> answer there as well.
> 
> Lee
> 
I guess we're going to get multi postings now -- here and on the 
secnews server.
0
gwtc
1/12/2006 9:36:15 PM
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 12/01/2006 4:36 PM:
> I guess we're going to get multi postings now -- here and on the secnews 
> server.

The intent is to abandon those groups, which is why I'm no longer doing 
tech support on the secnews mozilla support groups. I'll post a reminder 
next week.
-- 
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
(Please do not email me tech support questions)
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
Netscape 7 Help <http://ilias.ca/netscape/>
0
Chris
1/12/2006 10:34:20 PM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> 
> Fudge, I just answered this at the old group. :) In this group, look for 
> Chris Ilias's post on Home page versus Start page.  You should find your 
> answer there as well.
> 
> Lee
> 

i changed browser.startup.page in about:config but thost tabs r still 
there. all three of them.

and i m a new subsciber to this newsgroup. so i dont have old archives 
(or i dont know how to find them if they r not listed in google groups)
0
Shreyas
1/13/2006 12:13:04 AM
Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>

/snip/
> 
> i changed browser.startup.page in about:config but thost tabs r still 
> there. all three of them.
> 
> and i m a new subsciber to this newsgroup. so i dont have old archives 
> (or i dont know how to find them if they r not listed in google groups)

The group has existed for about a day. Archives are not an issue at this 
point

I really don't know what is causing your problem. Try starting in safe 
Mode, and test it. That would show us if there is a problem extension. 
I doubt it, but lets rule it out.

Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

If that gets things working, report back here.  If it doesn't, create a 
new profile for test purposes:

To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe 
-p in the field, and click OK.  Note the space after exe, it is important.

Test the Start/Home page functions, and report back.

Lee
-- 
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/13/2006 2:47:35 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>>
> 
> /snip/
>>
>> i changed browser.startup.page in about:config but thost tabs r still 
>> there. all three of them.
>>
>> and i m a new subsciber to this newsgroup. so i dont have old archives 
>> (or i dont know how to find them if they r not listed in google groups)
> 
> The group has existed for about a day. Archives are not an issue at this 
> point
> 
> I really don't know what is causing your problem. Try starting in safe 
> Mode, and test it. That would show us if there is a problem extension. I 
> doubt it, but lets rule it out.
> 
> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
> 
> If that gets things working, report back here.  If it doesn't, create a 
> new profile for test purposes:
> 
> To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe 
> -p in the field, and click OK.  Note the space after exe, it is important.
> 
> Test the Start/Home page functions, and report back.
> 
> Lee
I have seen this symptom in NS8, but never with FF.  It required a new 
profile to fix.
0
Ron
1/13/2006 9:01:13 AM
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The group has existed for about a day. Archives are not an issue at this 
> point
> 

the issue of archives was in relation to the 'Chris Ilias's post' that u 
asked me to refer to. i couldnt find it.


> I really don't know what is causing your problem. Try starting in safe 
> Mode, and test it. That would show us if there is a problem extension.

yeah, this thing i forgot to mention. there r no unwanted tabs in safe 
mode. i have following extensions installed - DOM Inspector 1.8, PDF 
Downloader 0.5.1.2, Talkback 1.5
i disabled them, but still the tabs r there.


i m trying the rest, and will let u know of the results.


-
Shreyas
0
Shreyas
1/13/2006 12:51:21 PM
oh i found it. apparently, nobody else could have!!!

the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's 'Parameters' 
set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn thing!

obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request and 
hence the three tabs.

some smarter fellow had been seemingly researching on my pc and i can 
imagine who that possibly can be. :-)

anyway, really sorry for the trouble guys and thanks for ur timely 
responses.

-
Shreyas
0
Shreyas
1/13/2006 1:18:44 PM
Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
> oh i found it. apparently, nobody else could have!!!
> 
> the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's 'Parameters' 
> set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn thing!
> 
> obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request and 
> hence the three tabs.
> 
> some smarter fellow had been seemingly researching on my pc and i can 
> imagine who that possibly can be. :-)
> 
> anyway, really sorry for the trouble guys and thanks for ur timely 
> responses.
> 
> -
> Shreyas

So when you started in Safe Mode, you weren't using the shortcut, so you 
didn't have the problem.

Thank you so much for getting back to us with the resolutions, this one 
was really puzzling me.

Lee

-- 
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
http://mozilla.com   http://mozilla.org
0
Leonidas
1/13/2006 4:21:36 PM
On 01/13/06 08:18, Shreyas Kulkarni wrote:
> oh i found it. apparently, nobody else could have!!!
> 
> the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's 'Parameters' 
> set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn thing!
> 
> obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request and 
> hence the three tabs.
> 
> some smarter fellow had been seemingly researching on my pc and i can 
> imagine who that possibly can be. :-)
> 
> anyway, really sorry for the trouble guys and thanks for ur timely 
> responses.

Ha! I figured it out. :-D

</annoying bragging>

And, don't worry about it. You weren't any trouble. We're here to help, 
and it's fun to see a user figure something out for themselves, even if 
it means their posting here was useless. :-)

BTW, the proper signature delimiter is "-- ", not just "- ".
-- 
Yay!
0
Matt
1/13/2006 10:18:49 PM
Shreyas Kulkarni <"shyran[__at__]gmail[__dot__]com"> wrote in
<news:oJOdnXaIjI4kNVreRVn-gg@mozilla.org>:

> the problem was the shortcut that i was using. it had it's
> 'Parameters' set to 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' !!! damn
> thing!
>
> obviously firefox was using those command line args as a request
> and hence the three tabs.

I'll add my thanks for posting your solution.  I didn't know that Fx
would take multiple URL input like that, and it's good to know.
(Internally, Fx uses | characters for multiple URLs in bookmarks &c.,
but that's not so good for use on command lines, where they mean
something else.)

-- 
�Q�
0
ISO
1/13/2006 11:00:27 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Open and protect a tab on FireFox startup
Hi, I am trying to get firefox to lock and protect a tab on startup using the Tab Mix Plus extension. I can get the url I want in the tab to open on startup by setting the home page obviosuly, but I would like Tab Mix Plus to lock and protect the tab automatically. Anyone have any ideas how to do this, or aware of an alternative extension, I cant seem to find one. Thanks, Phil flip wrote: > Hi, > I am trying to get firefox to lock and protect a tab on startup using > the Tab Mix Plus extension. > I can get the url I want in the tab to open on startup by setting...

"Firefox Express"
Name: Graham Mitchell Email: gdmitchellatshawdotca Product: Firefox Summary: "Firefox Express" - opening Firefox without opening saved tabs Comments: I use tab saving pretty commonly, but what I'd find useful is some way to open Firefox without opening the saved tabs from the last session, but still have them saved. To explain what I mean, a short scenario: I'm going to play WoW for a bit. So, I close Firefox, saving my ten-or- so tabs. However, while I'm playing, suddenly I want to look something up - quest details on wowhead, say, but could be ...

OLDER VERSION, TYPE IN URL AND IT AUTOMATICALLY OPEN A NEW TAB. FIREFOX 3 WILL LOAD NEW URL OVER THE TAB ALREADY OPENED RATHER THAN PUT IN A NEW TAB
Name: JENNIFER FERDINAND Email: AGOLDENROSEatGMAILdotCOM Product: Firefox Summary: OLDER VERSION, TYPE IN URL AND IT AUTOMATICALLY OPEN A NEW TAB. FIREFOX 3 WILL LOAD NEW URL OVER THE TAB ALREADY OPENED RATHER THAN PUT IN A NEW TAB Comments: IN OLDER VERSION, TYPE IN URL AND IT AUTOMATICALLY OPENED A NEW TAB. FIREFOX 3 WILL LOAD NEW URL OVER THE TAB ALREADY OPENED RATHER THAN LOAD IT IN A NEW TAB. I'M NOT SURE IF I NEED TO INSTALL AN APPLICATION TO DO THAT BUT I BROWSED MANY APPLICATION AND COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING THAT WOULD OPEN A NEW WEB ADDRESS IN A NEW TAB RATH...

Can Firefox open up 3 tabs on startup?
Name: Philip Farris Email: philipwfarrisatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Can Firefox open up 3 tabs on startup? Comments: Hi, I really like Firefox, just got it working with the fingerprint reader on my Sony Vaio... Is it possible to have Firefox open more than one tab on startup? I like having my email page, CNN, and the weather page all open up automatically. Also, I wish there were an easy way to open a new tab with the mouse by clicking in the tab area. Why do we have to go thru a menu, or use the keyboard? Thanks, Philip Farris Browser Details: Mozil...

Firefox 2: Opening new tab does not load home page & launching Firefox opening new application instance
I have noticed two issues with Firefox 2 for me: When I open a new tab, either from the File menu, or right clicking in the tabs area and selecting "New Tab", the tabs open, but they are blank. They do not start with my selected home page (Google). When I launch Firefox 2 from the main executable, it does load the home page. Also, when I launch Firefox 2 multiple times from the main executable, it creates a new application instance of Firefox 2 instead of opening a new tab in the same application instance. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix these ...

Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server
Name: Vladimir Ilyash Email: fundamentatoratyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server Comments: When I access Firefox 3 Beta 5 through local proxy-server and open a new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs it opens so many saved password dialog windows as there are tabs opened. So I need to click OK in every dialog window to allow access to proxy with saved credentials and load all saved tabs. Moreover, whene...

how do I get the annoying firefox tab out of firefox startup?
Name: David Young Email: toodotwhiteatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: how do I get the annoying firefox tab out of firefox startup? Comments: A flaw in an otherwise perfect browser. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8 ...

[Hendrix] Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server
Name: Vladimir Ilyash Email: fundamentatoratyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server Comments: When I access Firefox 3 Beta 5 through local proxy-server and open a new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs it opens so many saved password dialog windows as there are tabs opened. So I need to click OK in every dialog window to allow access to proxy with saved credentials and load all saved tabs. Moreover, whene...

Tabs--How to keep tabs open when close and reopen Firefox
Everytime I use FireFox 2.0 (FF) I open X number of the same tabs, my baseline tabs so to speak. There are 5-6 of these. I would like these to already be displayed when I reopen FF the next day instead of having to reopen them one by one. I have read the documentation but don't see anything that addresses this (the History/Recently Closed Tabs only works if the computer has not been turned off). Can the tabs be automatically displayed/opened when FF is opened? naturalost wrote: > Everytime I use FireFox 2.0 (FF) I open X number of the same tabs, my > baseline tabs so ...

Opening new tabs opens to the right of the current tab, not the right of all tabs.
Name: Richard Canning Email: richardatelindaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Opening new tabs opens to the right of the current tab, not the right of all tabs. Comments: Just installed the new beta, one change is that when you open a new tab, it opens to the right of the tab that called it, not the right of all tabs. Previously it would open as a new tab at the very right. I understand how people would like this change, but having an option to select which method you want would be wonderful. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2...

In Firefox 3.1 i noticed that you made it so that when there is only one tab open it still shows the tab like internet explorer. I like it more when it shows that tabs only when there is more than one
Name: Ben Product: Firefox Summary: In Firefox 3.1 i noticed that you made it so that when there is only one tab open it still shows the tab like internet explorer. I like it more when it shows that tabs only when there is more than one open. It gives it a cleaner interface. That was one of the big reasons why i switched to Firefox. Thanks! Comments: In Firefox 3.1 i noticed that you made it so that when there is only one tab open it still shows the tab like internet explorer. I like it more when it shows that tabs only when there is more than one open. It gives it a cleaner inter...

save opened tabs in firefox 3beta2 + reverting to firefox 2
Name: marius doroftei Email: mdorofteiatbitdefenderdotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: save opened tabs in firefox 3beta2 + reverting to firefox 2 Comments: hy guys ! thunbs up for firefox3. i like the new feature to be able to save my opened tabs when i close the browser. used it alot first time i put up firefox3 beta2 and checked the checkbox that said "dont remind me again" or something like that so that i have this facility all the time. out of curiosity i unistalled it and looked around the old stuff in firefox2, but i noticed that the tabs i le...

Keep The new tab option like in opera and ie 7.0 it makes more easier to open new tab and also when we click on a link to open it in new tab make it to open by adjacent to that tab so it makes easier
Name: y vinod kumar reddy Product: Firefox Summary: Keep The new tab option like in opera and ie 7.0 it makes more easier to open new tab and also when we click on a link to open it in new tab make it to open by adjacent to that tab so it makes easier for the end user Comments: i think u may make these changes in the next coming version Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

v3
Name: Chris Mills Email: cdmatlizardloungedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: v3 - opening multiple tabs opens even more tabs insted of replacing tabs. Comments: I'd like it if the functionality of v2 with tabs were put back in use. It used to be that I could open multiple tabs and they would replace the current multiple tabs - now I just end up with more and more tabs which is very tedious. I typically will open 10 tabs of a particular theme of web sites - scan the information and then switch to a new set of tabs for different information. This is nearly impossible to do wi...

Web resources about - unknown tabs open up at startup - mozilla.support.firefox

Category:Unknown-importance United States articles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 40,290 total. This list may not reflect recent changes ( learn more ). (previous 200) ( ...

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknowns Fotos - Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown - Facebook
“Tangier is Morocco. Always was Morocco. And recently the country’s leadership seems to have embraced it in all its ill-reputed glory. The days ...

Parts Unknown (@PartsUnknownCNN) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

XCOM®: Enemy Unknown for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi ...
Get XCOM®: Enemy Unknown on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

unknown strain - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
raw i like the composition on this shot. love my space case! strong buds. my links: eggrole.deviantart.com eggrole.wordpress.com

Australia vs New Zealand Third cricket Test: Pink ball brings in an unknown unknown
The modern cricketer is so thoroughly drilled, that the sudden intrusion of a rogue factor - in this case a pink ball - can so discombobulate ...

Unknown Mortal Orchestra review: energy, melody and the occasional miracle
... recipe kept the audience guessing and entertained. We'll get the simple stuff out of the way first. To the mainstream they may be "unknown" ...

'Jet' mystery: Cause of tiles blown off Girrawheen home could remain unknown
Tiles blown off a Perth grandmother's roof in Girrawheen could remain a mystery forever after the Australian Defence Force said none of their ...

Fate of key Paris attack suspect unknown
Identities of dead under investigation after Paris police raid 'demolished' new ISIL cell.

Top 50 UK websites expose your browser to unknown scripts
How much risk are you facing just by visiting a website? Do you know what scripts are running and which other sites they're pulling data from? ...

Resources last updated: 12/11/2015 2:45:51 AM