Un-install/re-install and profile

XP sp3 and FF 3.6 on a desktop sys with 4gb mem.

I think I need to un-install/re-install FF 3.6. Too many flaky effects as it is.

How difficult would it be to back-up my profile and re-install when I have
a fresh FF installed? What's involved?

  Thx,

Puddin

On 04/12/2011 11:32 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
> XP sp3 and FF 3.6 on a desktop sys with 4gb mem.
>
> I think I need to un-install/re-install FF 3.6. Too many flaky effects as it is.
>
> How difficult would it be to back-up my profile and re-install when I have
> a fresh FF installed? What's involved?
>
>    Thx,
>
> "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule."

If the following describes steps you already know, my apologies:

a) If you haven't already done so, Unhide hidden files and folders>
Control Panel >Folder Options > View > uncheck "Hide..."

b) Navigate to Documents and Settings > [you] > Application Data >
Thunderbird

c) Open another Explorer window and select or create a back-up folder

d) Copy Profiles and profile.ini to your back up folder. This wills ave
not only your settings, but (more importantly) all your e-mail.

e) Start FF, and google for Revo uninstaller. Download the free version.

f) Go to mozilla.org. It will open with a page offering you the latest
version of TBird for your platform. If you don't want it, you'll have to
hunt for earlier versions. Haven't tried that on the current moz
website, so I don't know how to do that. Sorry.

g) Start Revo, and uninstall Tbird.

h) Install TBird from the fresh down load. Start it, don't set up any
accounts, and shut it down.

i) Navigate to  /Thunderbird as before. TBird will have created Profiles
and profile.ini.

j) Open another Explorer window, navigate to your back up folder, and
copy the backed up Profiles and profiles.ini over the new ones

k) Restart TBird. You should see everything as it was before, including
all your e-mails.

HTH
Wolf K.

0