torrent and magnet

I'm getting this message:

The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the
following protocols (magnet) isn’t associated with any program or is not
allowed in this context.

    You might need to install other software to open this address.

how do I configure Firefox to download all magnet files?

somehow, .torrent files get downloaded:

thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ ll Downloads/*.torrent
-rw-rw-r-- 1 thufir thufir 30136 Nov 12 14:24 Downloads/ubuntu-17.10-
server-amd64.iso.torrent
thufir@dur:~$

I'd like to do something similar with magnet files.  see also:

https://askubuntu.com/q/949281/45156

(although I can't seem to get "content type" of "magnet" to display in
that list now.)

thanks,

Thufir
0
thufir
11/13/2017 9:11:45 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 23945 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 11/13/17 4:11 AM, thufir wrote:
> I'm getting this message:
>

> The address wasn’t understood
>
> Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the
> following protocols (magnet) isn’t associated with any program or is not
> allowed in this context.
>
>      You might need to install other software to open this address.
>

> how do I configure Firefox to download all magnet files?
>

> somehow, .torrent files get downloaded:
>
> thufir@dur:~$
> thufir@dur:~$ ll Downloads/*.torrent
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 thufir thufir 30136 Nov 12 14:24 Downloads/ubuntu-17.10-
> server-amd64.iso.torrent
> thufir@dur:~$
>

> I'd like to do something similar with magnet files.  see also:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/q/949281/45156
>

> (although I can't seem to get "content type" of "magnet" to display in
> that list now.)
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

The last I knew, you have to register the protocol.

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol>

I did that years ago.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
11/13/2017 1:40:13 PM
WaltS48 wrote:

> thufir wrote:
>
>> I'm getting this message:
>>
>> The address wasn�t understood
>>
>> Firefox doesn�t know how to open this address, because one of the
>> following protocols (magnet) isn�t associated with any program or is not
>> allowed in this context.
>>
>>      You might need to install other software to open this address.
>>
>> how do I configure Firefox to download all magnet files?
>
> The last I knew, you have to register the protocol.
>
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol>
>
> I did that years ago.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/945387

Refers to the same KB article you mentioned but is a 4-year old
discussion.  The OP will need a client that becomes the handler for
magnet links.  An even older article at:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/open-magnet-link-in-browser/

says not all Torrent clients support the magnet protocol.  It's an old
article so maybe the non-magnetized clients have become magnetized.
0
VanguardLH
11/13/2017 7:24:50 PM
On 11/13/17 2:24 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> thufir wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting this message:
>>>
>>> The address wasn’t understood
>>>
>>> Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the
>>> following protocols (magnet) isn’t associated with any program or is not
>>> allowed in this context.
>>>
>>>       You might need to install other software to open this address.
>>>
>>> how do I configure Firefox to download all magnet files?
>>
>> The last I knew, you have to register the protocol.
>>
>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol>
>>
>> I did that years ago.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/945387
>
> Refers to the same KB article you mentioned but is a 4-year old
> discussion.  The OP will need a client that becomes the handler for
> magnet links.  An even older article at:
>
> https://www.maketecheasier.com/open-magnet-link-in-browser/
>
> says not all Torrent clients support the magnet protocol.  It's an old
> article so maybe the non-magnetized clients have become magnetized.

Ubuntu comes with Transmission. I installed qBittorrent, just to
distribute Linux distros when a new one becomes available.😉