The case of the invisible checkboxes and radio buttons

Since upgrading to x64 Sonya Cinnamon I am encountering a problem with
forms in Firefox and SeaMonkey. As noted in the title, checkboxes and
radio buttons are invisible in forms. They can still be used, but you
have to know they are there. This is in the latest release of each of
the browsers. Most of these forms are on secure websites, but I searched
and found a sample available for anyone to see if they also have the
problem here:

http://toolsqa.com/automation-practice-form/

As I encountered this first in SeaMonkey, I posted about it in the
SeaMonkey support group. I had not seen this in the previous release of
SeaMonkey, and the developer immediately noted that this was the first
release of SeaMonkey that relies on GTK3 as opposed to GTK2. Thus there
is suspicion that this is a GTK3 theme problem. Given this, it is
unsurprising that it is also exhibited by Firefox, which has been GTK3
based for several releases now.

I have already had to add GTK3 customization in
~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to get my scroll bar steppers back. Hopefully
there is also something I can add here, or as someone else suggested in
a userChrome.css in my SeaMonkey profile, that will get my checkboxes
and radio buttons to display again.

Is anyone else seeing this in the same environment? Are there changes in
Sylvia that might correct this? Does anyone have the fix I need to add
to my customization file?

Dave

0
David
12/7/2017 5:27:57 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24023 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

Em 07-12-2017 15:27, David H. Durgee escreveu:
> Since upgrading to x64 Sonya Cinnamon I am encountering a problem with
> forms in Firefox and SeaMonkey. As noted in the title, checkboxes and
> radio buttons are invisible in forms. They can still be used, but you
> have to know they are there. This is in the latest release of each of
> the browsers. Most of these forms are on secure websites, but I searched
> and found a sample available for anyone to see if they also have the
> problem here:
>
> http://toolsqa.com/automation-practice-form/
>
> As I encountered this first in SeaMonkey, I posted about it in the
> SeaMonkey support group. I had not seen this in the previous release of
> SeaMonkey, and the developer immediately noted that this was the first
> release of SeaMonkey that relies on GTK3 as opposed to GTK2. Thus there
> is suspicion that this is a GTK3 theme problem. Given this, it is
> unsurprising that it is also exhibited by Firefox, which has been GTK3
> based for several releases now.
>
> I have already had to add GTK3 customization in
> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to get my scroll bar steppers back. Hopefully
> there is also something I can add here, or as someone else suggested in
> a userChrome.css in my SeaMonkey profile, that will get my checkboxes
> and radio buttons to display again.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this in the same environment? Are there changes in
> Sylvia that might correct this? Does anyone have the fix I need to add
> to my customization file?

If you turn off the page style temporarily, you should be able to see
them. That is in the menu: View -> Page style -> "No style" instead of
"page basic style".

I cannot see all forms (checkbox, radio) in a (trash!) Google Forms
(trash!), because it uses a very bad stylesheet that does not work at
all when colors are changed in Firefox settings. I can only see the
textfields and questions without turning off the "forced colors" that I use.

I visited the page you pointed. Everything there works flawlessly in my
Firefox, showing both the colors I chose in Firefox, and the theme
colors in my OS has for their HTML: buttons+their text; radios and
checkboxes "place to see current choice"; buttons for dropdowns; roll
bar for selects; limiting line for textarea (I do not see one there!);
inputs.

0
Balaco
12/7/2017 6:06:06 PM
David H. Durgee wrote:
> Since upgrading to x64 Sonya Cinnamon I am encountering a problem with
> forms in Firefox and SeaMonkey. As noted in the title, checkboxes and
> radio buttons are invisible in forms. They can still be used, but you
> have to know they are there. This is in the latest release of each of
> the browsers. Most of these forms are on secure websites, but I searched
> and found a sample available for anyone to see if they also have the
> problem here:
>
> http://toolsqa.com/automation-practice-form/
>
> As I encountered this first in SeaMonkey, I posted about it in the
> SeaMonkey support group. I had not seen this in the previous release of
> SeaMonkey, and the developer immediately noted that this was the first
> release of SeaMonkey that relies on GTK3 as opposed to GTK2. Thus there
> is suspicion that this is a GTK3 theme problem. Given this, it is
> unsurprising that it is also exhibited by Firefox, which has been GTK3
> based for several releases now.
>
> I have already had to add GTK3 customization in
> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to get my scroll bar steppers back. Hopefully
> there is also something I can add here, or as someone else suggested in
> a userChrome.css in my SeaMonkey profile, that will get my checkboxes
> and radio buttons to display again.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this in the same environment? Are there changes in
> Sylvia that might correct this? Does anyone have the fix I need to add
> to my customization file?

PS: problem solved.  Someone on mint forums pointed me to theme changes
that fixed this problem.  In case someone else is seeing it, try
changing your choice for controls in the theme settings.

Dave
0
David
12/7/2017 6:08:04 PM
Em 07-12-2017 16:08, David H. Durgee escreveu:
> David H. Durgee wrote:
>> Since upgrading to x64 Sonya Cinnamon I am encountering a problem with
>> forms in Firefox and SeaMonkey. As noted in the title, checkboxes and
>> radio buttons are invisible in forms. They can still be used, but you
>> have to know they are there. This is in the latest release of each of
>> the browsers. Most of these forms are on secure websites, but I
>> searched and found a sample available for anyone to see if they also
>> have the problem here:
>>
>> http://toolsqa.com/automation-practice-form/
>>
>> As I encountered this first in SeaMonkey, I posted about it in the
>> SeaMonkey support group. I had not seen this in the previous release
>> of SeaMonkey, and the developer immediately noted that this was the
>> first release of SeaMonkey that relies on GTK3 as opposed to GTK2.
>> Thus there is suspicion that this is a GTK3 theme problem. Given this,
>> it is unsurprising that it is also exhibited by Firefox, which has
>> been GTK3 based for several releases now.
>>
>> I have already had to add GTK3 customization in
>> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to get my scroll bar steppers back.
>> Hopefully there is also something I can add here, or as someone else
>> suggested in a userChrome.css in my SeaMonkey profile, that will get
>> my checkboxes and radio buttons to display again.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this in the same environment? Are there changes
>> in Sylvia that might correct this? Does anyone have the fix I need to
>> add to my customization file?
>
> PS: problem solved.  Someone on mint forums pointed me to theme changes
> that fixed this problem.  In case someone else is seeing it, try
> changing your choice for controls in the theme settings.

You could say exactly what you did to solve the problem. Someone else
may need it and may try to find that information here. It also may
affect other distributions, window managers, or systems.

0
Balaco
12/7/2017 6:36:07 PM
Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 16:08, David H. Durgee escreveu:
>> David H. Durgee wrote:
>>> Since upgrading to x64 Sonya Cinnamon I am encountering a problem with
>>> forms in Firefox and SeaMonkey. As noted in the title, checkboxes and
>>> radio buttons are invisible in forms. They can still be used, but you
>>> have to know they are there. This is in the latest release of each of
>>> the browsers. Most of these forms are on secure websites, but I
>>> searched and found a sample available for anyone to see if they also
>>> have the problem here:
>>>
>>> http://toolsqa.com/automation-practice-form/
>>>
>>> As I encountered this first in SeaMonkey, I posted about it in the
>>> SeaMonkey support group. I had not seen this in the previous release
>>> of SeaMonkey, and the developer immediately noted that this was the
>>> first release of SeaMonkey that relies on GTK3 as opposed to GTK2.
>>> Thus there is suspicion that this is a GTK3 theme problem. Given this,
>>> it is unsurprising that it is also exhibited by Firefox, which has
>>> been GTK3 based for several releases now.
>>>
>>> I have already had to add GTK3 customization in
>>> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to get my scroll bar steppers back.
>>> Hopefully there is also something I can add here, or as someone else
>>> suggested in a userChrome.css in my SeaMonkey profile, that will get
>>> my checkboxes and radio buttons to display again.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else seeing this in the same environment? Are there changes
>>> in Sylvia that might correct this? Does anyone have the fix I need to
>>> add to my customization file?
>>
>> PS: problem solved.  Someone on mint forums pointed me to theme changes
>> that fixed this problem.  In case someone else is seeing it, try
>> changing your choice for controls in the theme settings.
>>

> You could say exactly what you did to solve the problem. Someone else
> may need it and may try to find that information here. It also may
> affect other distributions, window managers, or systems.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear in my PS.  I went into the "Themes"
sub-menu of the "Preferences" menu. In that panel I changed my choice of
"Controls" to one of the other choices.  As I had the problematic page
in the background, I could see immediately when the problem was
corrected.  As noted above, this is with Cinnamon.  Things might differ
with another manager.

I hope this is more helpful to anyone else seeing this problem.

Dave
0
David
12/7/2017 7:04:47 PM
Em 07-12-2017 17:04, David H. Durgee escreveu:
> Balaco wrote:

>>> PS: problem solved.  Someone on mint forums pointed me to theme changes
>>> that fixed this problem.  In case someone else is seeing it, try
>>> changing your choice for controls in the theme settings.
>>>

>> You could say exactly what you did to solve the problem. Someone else
>> may need it and may try to find that information here. It also may
>> affect other distributions, window managers, or systems.
>
> Sorry, I thought I made it clear in my PS.  I went into the "Themes"
> sub-menu of the "Preferences" menu. In that panel I changed my choice of
> "Controls" to one of the other choices.  As I had the problematic page
> in the background, I could see immediately when the problem was
> corrected.  As noted above, this is with Cinnamon.  Things might differ
> with another manager.
>
> I hope this is more helpful to anyone else seeing this problem.

I had not understood it completely.

And I think the problem may not be window manager related.

Futher, there are two very different kind of themes: window manager and
programs'. And I thought you were talking about a window manager theme.

Thank you for clarifying it.
0
Balaco
12/7/2017 7:33:20 PM
Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 17:04, David H. Durgee escreveu:
>> Balaco wrote:

>>> You could say exactly what you did to solve the problem. Someone else
>>> may need it and may try to find that information here. It also may
>>> affect other distributions, window managers, or systems.
>>
>> Sorry, I thought I made it clear in my PS.  I went into the "Themes"
>> sub-menu of the "Preferences" menu. In that panel I changed my choice of
>> "Controls" to one of the other choices.  As I had the problematic page
>> in the background, I could see immediately when the problem was
>> corrected.  As noted above, this is with Cinnamon.  Things might differ
>> with another manager.
>>
>> I hope this is more helpful to anyone else seeing this problem.
>>

> I had not understood it completely.
>
> And I think the problem may not be window manager related.
>
> Futher, there are two very different kind of themes: window manager and
> programs'. And I thought you were talking about a window manager theme.
>
> Thank you for clarifying it.

Cinnamon IS the window manager on my system.  This IS a window manager
theme problem.  The menus I am referring to above are the system menus,
not program menus.  As soon as I modified the controls in the theme the
problem went away.

I would imagine that these symptoms could happen on any linux system
using GTK3 based controls with an error similar to what caused my
problems.  So you are correct, this is not limited to cinnamon based
systems.

Let me know if there is a way I can provide further clarification.

Dave
0
David
12/8/2017 12:18:28 AM
Em 07-12-2017 22:18, David H. Durgee escreveu:
> Balaco wrote:

>>> Sorry, I thought I made it clear in my PS.  I went into the "Themes"
>>> sub-menu of the "Preferences" menu. In that panel I changed my choice of
>>> "Controls" to one of the other choices.  As I had the problematic page
>>> in the background, I could see immediately when the problem was
>>> corrected.  As noted above, this is with Cinnamon.  Things might differ
>>> with another manager.
>>>
>>> I hope this is more helpful to anyone else seeing this problem.
>>>

>> I had not understood it completely.
>>
>> And I think the problem may not be window manager related.
>>
>> Futher, there are two very different kind of themes: window manager
>> and programs'. And I thought you were talking about a window manager
>> theme.
>>
>> Thank you for clarifying it.
>
> Cinnamon IS the window manager on my system.  This IS a window manager
> theme problem.  The menus I am referring to above are the system menus,
> not program menus.  As soon as I modified the controls in the theme the
> problem went away.
>
> I would imagine that these symptoms could happen on any linux system
> using GTK3 based controls with an error similar to what caused my
> problems.  So you are correct, this is not limited to cinnamon based
> systems.
>
> Let me know if there is a way I can provide further clarification.

hahaha... so it was window manager, after all. I have not used themes
for Firefox, so I just assumed it was about it, since you said it here.

This seems enough. No more doubts for me.

People may find what you said important: GTK programs, like Firefox is,
may have similar issues.

Before fixing the problem, did you see it any other program? No, I assume.
0
Balaco
12/8/2017 12:32:13 AM
Balaco wrote:
> Em 07-12-2017 22:18, David H. Durgee escreveu:
>> Balaco wrote:

>>> I had not understood it completely.
>>>
>>> And I think the problem may not be window manager related.
>>>
>>> Futher, there are two very different kind of themes: window manager
>>> and programs'. And I thought you were talking about a window manager
>>> theme.
>>>
>>> Thank you for clarifying it.
>>
>> Cinnamon IS the window manager on my system.  This IS a window manager
>> theme problem.  The menus I am referring to above are the system menus,
>> not program menus.  As soon as I modified the controls in the theme the
>> problem went away.
>>
>> I would imagine that these symptoms could happen on any linux system
>> using GTK3 based controls with an error similar to what caused my
>> problems.  So you are correct, this is not limited to cinnamon based
>> systems.
>>
>> Let me know if there is a way I can provide further clarification.
>>

> hahaha... so it was window manager, after all. I have not used themes
> for Firefox, so I just assumed it was about it, since you said it here.
>
> This seems enough. No more doubts for me.
>
> People may find what you said important: GTK programs, like Firefox is,
> may have similar issues.
>
> Before fixing the problem, did you see it any other program? No, I assume.

I saw it only in the browsers, Firefox and SeaMonkey, but perhaps that
is not surprising as how often are checkboxes and radio buttons used in
every day applications?  Perhaps in configuration menus, but once you
have an application installed and working how often do you open those?

Dave
0
David
12/8/2017 12:37:26 AM
Em 07-12-2017 22:37, David H. Durgee escreveu:
> Balaco wrote:

>>> Cinnamon IS the window manager on my system.  This IS a window manager
>>> theme problem.  The menus I am referring to above are the system menus,
>>> not program menus.  As soon as I modified the controls in the theme the
>>> problem went away.
>>>
>>> I would imagine that these symptoms could happen on any linux system
>>> using GTK3 based controls with an error similar to what caused my
>>> problems.  So you are correct, this is not limited to cinnamon based
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> Let me know if there is a way I can provide further clarification.
>>>

>> hahaha... so it was window manager, after all. I have not used themes
>> for Firefox, so I just assumed it was about it, since you said it here.
>>
>> This seems enough. No more doubts for me.
>>
>> People may find what you said important: GTK programs, like Firefox
>> is, may have similar issues.
>>
>> Before fixing the problem, did you see it any other program? No, I
>> assume.
>
> I saw it only in the browsers, Firefox and SeaMonkey, but perhaps that
> is not surprising as how often are checkboxes and radio buttons used in
> every day applications?  Perhaps in configuration menus, but once you
> have an application installed and working how often do you open those?

Mozilla and Seamonkey are browsers (sure, SM is more) of the same
company, and probably have many things in common. Browsers forked from
their source code (as Palemoon) should have (mostly) the same issues.

I do not know which programs use GTK. It is not explicitly written in
(at least) Firefox, so we have no easy ways to check that. I think.
0
Balaco