sync?

Dear List,

What does "Sync" synchronize?  Bookmarks?

If so, if I sync bookmarks between an Android and
a Linux machine, is there a way to tell what came
from what machine?

Many thanks,
-T
mozilla.support.firefox 23865 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 10/08/2017 09:54 PM, T wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> What does "Sync" synchronize?  Bookmarks?
>
> If so, if I sync bookmarks between an Android and
> a Linux machine, is there a way to tell what came
> from what machine?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
If you sign into sync, all of the bookmarks on the first machine are
uploaded to the cloud.

In theory if you installed FF brand new on another machine and signed
into sync on that machine, in a few minutes all items you want synced
will sync.  In otherwords all the bookmarks for example will dupe on
machine #2.

If you make a change on machine 2 it will show on machine 1 when you
load FF there and let it run long enough to finish the sync.

BOTH MACHINES ARE DUPES>    There is no who did what.  They just mirror
each other.

As for what happens when you have 2 machines with 2 totally different
sets of bookmarks and start them syncing, I'm not sure.  I guess you
would wind up with a complete set of bookmarks containing both machines.
   Some may be duped then.    I've never tried it.  I usually blank all
bookmarks before doing a sync on a new machine just to be sure.

0
Big
10/9/2017 2:06:57 AM
On 10/08/2017 07:06 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/08/2017 09:54 PM, T wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> What does "Sync" synchronize?  Bookmarks?
>>
>> If so, if I sync bookmarks between an Android and
>> a Linux machine, is there a way to tell what came
>> from what machine?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
> If you sign into sync, all of the bookmarks on the first machine are
> uploaded to the cloud.
>
> In theory if you installed FF brand new on another machine and signed
> into sync on that machine, in a few minutes all items you want synced
> will sync.  In otherwords all the bookmarks for example will dupe on
> machine #2.
>
> If you make a change on machine 2 it will show on machine 1 when you
> load FF there and let it run long enough to finish the sync.
>
> BOTH MACHINES ARE DUPES>    There is no who did what.  They just mirror
> each other.
>
> As for what happens when you have 2 machines with 2 totally different
> sets of bookmarks and start them syncing, I'm not sure.  I guess you
> would wind up with a complete set of bookmarks containing both machines.
>    Some may be duped then.    I've never tried it.  I usually blank all
> bookmarks before doing a sync on a new machine just to be sure.

Thank you!

I was hoping for separate folders.

Are the cloud copies private or are they open to Google style
data harvesting?
On 10/08/2017 10:31 PM, T wrote:
> On 10/08/2017 07:06 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 10/08/2017 09:54 PM, T wrote:
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> What does "Sync" synchronize?  Bookmarks?
>>>
>>> If so, if I sync bookmarks between an Android and
>>> a Linux machine, is there a way to tell what came
>>> from what machine?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>> If you sign into sync, all of the bookmarks on the first machine are
>> uploaded to the cloud.
>>
>> In theory if you installed FF brand new on another machine and signed
>> into sync on that machine, in a few minutes all items you want synced
>> will sync.  In otherwords all the bookmarks for example will dupe on
>> machine #2.
>>
>> If you make a change on machine 2 it will show on machine 1 when you
>> load FF there and let it run long enough to finish the sync.
>>
>> BOTH MACHINES ARE DUPES>    There is no who did what.  They just
>> mirror each other.
>>
>> As for what happens when you have 2 machines with 2 totally different
>> sets of bookmarks and start them syncing, I'm not sure.  I guess you
>> would wind up with a complete set of bookmarks containing both
>> machines.    Some may be duped then.    I've never tried it.  I
>> usually blank all bookmarks before doing a sync on a new machine just
>> to be sure.
>>

> Thank you!
>
> I was hoping for separate folders.
>
> Are the cloud copies private or are they open to Google style
> data harvesting?
No idea.

0
Big
10/9/2017 3:00:05 AM
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 18:54:21 -0700, T wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> What does "Sync" synchronize?  Bookmarks?
>
> If so, if I sync bookmarks between an Android and a Linux machine, is
> there a way to tell what came from what machine?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

You can specify what is sync'd. The Android bookmarks appear separately
on the desktop machine under 'mobile bookmarks' in 'show all bookmarks'.
You can use the mobile bookmarks on desktop and vice versa.

You can organise the mobile bookmarks on desktop, e.g. put them in
subfolders, which will then sync back to Android.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
0
On 10/09/2017 05:37 AM, Dave Royal wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 18:54:21 -0700, T wrote:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> What does "Sync" synchronize?  Bookmarks?
>>
>> If so, if I sync bookmarks between an Android and a Linux machine, is
>> there a way to tell what came from what machine?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> You can specify what is sync'd. The Android bookmarks appear separately
> on the desktop machine under 'mobile bookmarks' in 'show all bookmarks'.
> You can use the mobile bookmarks on desktop and vice versa.
>
> You can organise the mobile bookmarks on desktop, e.g. put them in
> subfolders, which will then sync back to Android.

Cool.  Thank you!
In article <mailman.1106.1507514843.16833.support-
firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, BigAl@invalid.com says...
> As for what happens when you have 2 machines with 2 totally different
> sets of bookmarks and start them syncing, I'm not sure.  I guess you
> would wind up with a complete set of bookmarks containing both machines.

Yes. I had organized my bookmarks in different folders on two different
installs of Firefox, and the bookmarks that were in one folder on one
machine and a different folder on the other machine just got duplicated.

0
Mark12547