Sort of "own-brand" Firefox?

I bought an Acer Iconia tablet a few months ago. It came with Firefox
installed, and I've used it a few times. Although the FF is now no doubt
months old, I've never seen it update, so thought I'd look at what
version it was. Surprisingly, it is shown as:

"Acer Edition
acer-002-2"

When I try to update it from its own settings, it reports that no update
is available. From what I understand, this is often the way with the
apps, and indeed the OS itself, on Acer android tablets. Is the only way
to get an updated (and updateable) FF to download and install android FF
from Google?

--

Jeff
0

On 2017-03-20 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I bought an Acer Iconia tablet a few months ago. It came with Firefox
> installed, and I've used it a few times. Although the FF is now no doub=
> months old, I've never seen it update, so thought I'd look at what
> version it was. Surprisingly, it is shown as:
>
> "Acer Edition
> acer-002-2"
>
> When I try to update it from its own settings, it reports that no updat=
> is available. From what I understand, this is often the way with the
> apps, and indeed the OS itself, on Acer android tablets. Is the only wa=
> to get an updated (and updateable) FF to download and install android F=
> from Google?

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you yearn for an updated=20
FF, try it and see. But do not remove the bundled Acer-Firefox, just in=20
case. It has certainly been tweaked to work on the underpowered hardware =

of the tablet.

OTOH, the tablet may from time to time update itself. My Android phone=20
does so about once a year. System updates also update some of the apps.

HTH

--=20
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can=E2=80=99t drink the wate=
r?=E2=80=9D

0
Wolf
3/20/2017 1:57:21 PM
On 3/20/2017 9:57 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2017-03-20 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I bought an Acer Iconia tablet a few months ago. It came with Firefox
>> installed, and I've used it a few times. Although the FF is now no doubt
>> months old, I've never seen it update, so thought I'd look at what
>> version it was. Surprisingly, it is shown as:
>>
>> "Acer Edition
>> acer-002-2"
>>
>> When I try to update it from its own settings, it reports that no update
>> is available. From what I understand, this is often the way with the
>> apps, and indeed the OS itself, on Acer android tablets. Is the only way
>> to get an updated (and updateable) FF to download and install android FF
>> from Google?
>
> Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you yearn for an updated
> FF, try it and see. But do not remove the bundled Acer-Firefox, just in
> case. It has certainly been tweaked to work on the underpowered hardware
> of the tablet.
>
> OTOH, the tablet may from time to time update itself. My Android phone
> does so about once a year. System updates also update some of the apps.
>
> HTH

I don't have a android system but it would be my recommendation to
update for the Mozilla site, not a third party site.   Less chance of
garbage coming down with the update, and will be the current version.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/
0
Keith
3/20/2017 3:49:21 PM
On 20/03/17 15:49, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 3/20/2017 9:57 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
>> On 2017-03-20 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> I bought an Acer Iconia tablet a few months ago. It came with Firefox
>>> installed, and I've used it a few times. Although the FF is now no doubt
>>> months old, I've never seen it update, so thought I'd look at what
>>> version it was. Surprisingly, it is shown as:
>>>
>>> "Acer Edition
>>> acer-002-2"
>>>
>>> When I try to update it from its own settings, it reports that no update
>>> is available. From what I understand, this is often the way with the
>>> apps, and indeed the OS itself, on Acer android tablets. Is the only way
>>> to get an updated (and updateable) FF to download and install android FF
>>> from Google?
>>
>> Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you yearn for an updated
>> FF, try it and see. But do not remove the bundled Acer-Firefox, just in
>> case. It has certainly been tweaked to work on the underpowered hardware
>> of the tablet.
>>
>> OTOH, the tablet may from time to time update itself. My Android phone
>> does so about once a year. System updates also update some of the apps.
>>
>> HTH
>>
> I don't have a android system but it would be my recommendation to
> update for the Mozilla site, not a third party site.   Less chance of
> garbage coming down with the update, and will be the current version.
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/

That page redirects you to Google Play store or asks for an email
address before you can download. Yet if you click on the "Systems and
Languages" box, it goes to
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/all/> where you can
download a *.apk without having to give an email address. Why the
difference?

--

Jeff
0
On 20/03/17 13:57, Wolf K. wrote:
> On 2017-03-20 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I bought an Acer Iconia tablet a few months ago. It came with Firefox
>> installed, and I've used it a few times. Although the FF is now no doubt
>> months old, I've never seen it update, so thought I'd look at what
>> version it was. Surprisingly, it is shown as:
>>
>> "Acer Edition
>> acer-002-2"
>>
>> When I try to update it from its own settings, it reports that no update
>> is available. From what I understand, this is often the way with the
>> apps, and indeed the OS itself, on Acer android tablets. Is the only way
>> to get an updated (and updateable) FF to download and install android FF
>> from Google?
>
> Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you yearn for an updated
> FF, try it and see. But do not remove the bundled Acer-Firefox, just in
> case. It has certainly been tweaked to work on the underpowered hardware
> of the tablet.

I'm not so interested in new bells and whistles, as getting any security
fixes. Not that I'd do anything which requires privacy on an android
machine. I doubt the tablet is /that/ underpowered (MediaTek Cortex
MT8163 A53 Quad-core  1.3 GHz, 1gb ram, 16 GB eMMC storage). I'll
download the latest from Google Play and try it.

> OTOH, the tablet may from time to time update itself. My Android phone
> does so about once a year. System updates also update some of the apps.

Some of the apps do update, but not the OS (5.1 lollipop).

Anyway, as soon as the guarantee runs out I'll root it and only have the
apps I want it to run.

--

Jeff
0
On 03/20/2017 07:40 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 20/03/17 15:49, Keith Nuttle wrote:

>>> Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you yearn for an updated
>>> FF, try it and see. But do not remove the bundled Acer-Firefox, just in
>>> case. It has certainly been tweaked to work on the underpowered hardware
>>> of the tablet.
>>>
>>> OTOH, the tablet may from time to time update itself. My Android phone
>>> does so about once a year. System updates also update some of the apps.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>> I don't have a android system but it would be my recommendation to
>> update for the Mozilla site, not a third party site.   Less chance of
>> garbage coming down with the update, and will be the current version.
>>
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/
>
> That page redirects you to Google Play store or asks for an email
> address before you can download. Yet if you click on the "Systems and
> Languages" box, it goes to
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/all/> where you can
> download a *.apk without having to give an email address. Why the
> difference?

Because there are people who don't want a Google account, and hence
cannot use the Play Store for installing apps.
Installing FF via the .apk file should work, however, you'll also have
to install subsequent updates manually.
0
Christian
3/25/2017 8:00:04 AM
I install Moz APKs on devices both with and without Google Play installed.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/releases/52.0.1/

Select the correct architecture - ARM or Intel then language. You need 'install from external sources' set.

Not tried on an Acer device though.
0
david