Services?

The FF Tools interface has categories "Get Add-ons", "Extensions",
"Plugins", "Appearance", and "Services". What are "Services"? And where
would one find them? They seem to have been around for some time even
though you can use "Get Add-ons" and search for them with no success.
Just curious.
--
Jeff Barnett
0

Jeff Barnett wrote:

> The FF Tools interface has categories "Get Add-ons", "Extensions",
> "Plugins", "Appearance", and "Services". What are "Services"? And where
> would one find them? They seem to have been around for some time even
> though you can use "Get Add-ons" and search for them with no success.
> Just curious.

Apparently Mozilla renamed Services to Cloud Services (without making a
change in the config screen shown inside of Firefox).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CloudServices

I think below is a list of some of the services you can add to Firefox:

https://activations.cdn.mozilla.net/en-US/

You can see Mozilla's service statuses at:

https://status.services.mozilla.com/

That'll give an idea of services that are embedded in Firefox.  Doesn't
seem like much has been done with using Firefox's services. Supposedly
it is to add functionality to Firefox without requiring additional code
inside of Firefox, but I don't know why extensions wouldn't handle the
same tasks.  Since it is a "cloud" oriented feature, I suspect no code
gets added to Firefox itself and instead some definition file is added
to the list of services.  Using the service would mean accessing some
server to perform the function.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/JavaScript_code_modules/Services.jsm

So it looks like that module is part of Firefox and a "service" is some
definition for a server to handle some communications between Firefox as
the client to the server.  Just a guess.  I couldn't find documentation
from Mozilla about their "services" feature in Firefox.
0
VanguardLH
7/17/2017 5:09:03 AM
On 2017-07-17 12:38 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> The FF Tools interface has categories "Get Add-ons", "Extensions",
> "Plugins", "Appearance", and "Services". What are "Services"? And where
> would one find them? They seem to have been around for some time even
> though you can use "Get Add-ons" and search for them with no success.
> Just curious.

Services are used when you use the share button to share a page. For
more info, see
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/share-webpage-through-firefox-share>.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Chris Ilias wrote on 7/16/2017 11:09 PM:
> On 2017-07-17 12:38 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> The FF Tools interface has categories "Get Add-ons", "Extensions",
>> "Plugins", "Appearance", and "Services". What are "Services"? And
>> where would one find them? They seem to have been around for some time
>> even though you can use "Get Add-ons" and search for them with no
>> success. Just curious.
>
> Services are used when you use the share button to share a page. For
> more info, see
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/share-webpage-through-firefox-share>.

Thanks for the info. I'm sort of surprised that such a specific social
facility would be built in. Many very much more useful browser
capabilities have been relegated to addons and they seem to be falling
out of favor with Mozilla. (Or has that move been reversed?)
--
Jeff Barnett
0
> Many very much more useful browser
> capabilities have been relegated to addons and they seem to be falling
> out of favor with Mozilla. (Or has that move been reversed?)

There are a few extensions that are considered Firefox features but are
distributed as "system extensions". Part of the reason is to allow
updating of that functionality without having to release a point upgrade
to Firefox.

If you go into about:support and look in the Extensions section (Release
Channel) or "Nightly Features" (Firefox Nightly), there are several
extensions listed there that are not on the Add-ons -> Extensions menu.

A few such "system extensions" are:

Pocket - implements the pocket feature.

Multi-process staged rollout - part of the logic to enable or disable
multi-processing. It was used in 54 to turn on multi-processing for
many, but not all users who have no extensions nor accessibility
features enabled, and the extension was (is? will be?) updated to
increase those using multi-processing, including those with compatible
extensions and eventually those using accessibility features.

Application Update Service Helper - can be used by Mozilla on determine
which Firefox platforms get certain Firefox updates and "system
extensions" updates, or to update critical Firefox settings if a problem
is detected.

Web Compat - if an update breaks compatibility with a few websites, this
extension could be updated to fix such compatibility issues.

As an interesting aside, Firefox extensions will go WebExtensions-only
at 57 with a couple of exceptions: Firefox Nightly 57 will allow legacy
extensions with a switch (intended purpose to allow legacy in Nightly 57
is to do performance comparisons), but once 57 moves from Nightly to
beta/developer, Legacy extensions will not load; and "system
extensions" may still continue to use legacy APIs as needed.
0
Mark12547