Saved passwords have disappeared

I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O

I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in view 
of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords button 
(or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it could have 
happened other than through some interaction with the Clear Recent 
History function.

Any comments?

Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
order to restore the passwords?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
1
Herb
8/4/2009 1:50:35 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23615 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

15 Replies
714 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 16

"Herb" ...
> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
> 
> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in view 
> of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords button 
> (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it could have 
> happened other than through some interaction with the Clear Recent 
> History function.
> 
> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
> order to restore the passwords?

The setup in   Tools, Options, Privacy  can be very deadly indeed
click on the   Settings   button and make sure you only have   only checkmarked:
      Cache,     and   Offsite Website Data
      A dialog where almost everything could really damage your usage.
also make sure you did not checkmark   Tools, Options. Privacy
       Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
and check your title bar to make sure it does not show "(Private browsing)".

Of course if you are in a  Private session (new in FF 3.5),  terminating the private session
will put  you back to where you were before the private session.
     Tools,  Start Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
     Tools,  Stop Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)

The profile files are described in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
in FF 3.*    with Firefox down you would need to restore both
    signons3.txt      and     key3.db

-- 
HTH,
David McRitchie,   extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
Firefox Custom:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm
 

    



      
      
1
David
8/4/2009 2:23:36 PM
David McRitchie wrote:
> "Herb" ...
>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
>> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
>> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in view 
>> of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords button 
>> (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it could have 
>> happened other than through some interaction with the Clear Recent 
>> History function.
>>
>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>> order to restore the passwords?
> 
> The setup in   Tools, Options, Privacy  can be very deadly indeed
> click on the   Settings   button and make sure you only have   only checkmarked:
>       Cache,     and   Offsite Website Data
>       A dialog where almost everything could really damage your usage.
> also make sure you did not checkmark   Tools, Options. Privacy
>        Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
> and check your title bar to make sure it does not show "(Private browsing)".
> 
> Of course if you are in a  Private session (new in FF 3.5),  terminating the private session
> will put  you back to where you were before the private session.
>      Tools,  Start Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>      Tools,  Stop Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
> 
> The profile files are described in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
> in FF 3.*    with Firefox down you would need to restore both
>     signons3.txt      and     key3.db
> 

David,
    Signons3 is no longer used (v3.5).  There is a file called 
signons.sqlite which now contains active password file.  However, 
deleting that file will cause FF 3.5x to look for signons3 and make a 
new file.

1
Ron
8/4/2009 3:00:34 PM
"Ron Hunter" ...
> David McRitchie wrote:
>> "Herb" ...
>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
>>> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
>>> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in view 
>>> of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords button 
>>> (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it could have 
>>> happened other than through some interaction with the Clear Recent 
>>> History function.
>>>
>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>>> order to restore the passwords?
>> 
>> The setup in   Tools, Options, Privacy  can be very deadly indeed
>> click on the   Settings   button and make sure you only have   only checkmarked:
>>       Cache,     and   Offsite Website Data
>>       A dialog where almost everything could really damage your usage.
>> also make sure you did not checkmark   Tools, Options. Privacy
>>        Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
>> and check your title bar to make sure it does not show "(Private browsing)".
>> 
>> Of course if you are in a  Private session (new in FF 3.5),  terminating the private session
>> will put  you back to where you were before the private session.
>>      Tools,  Start Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>>      Tools,  Stop Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>> 
>> The profile files are described in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
>> in FF 3.*    with Firefox down you would need to restore both
>>     signons3.txt      and     key3.db
>> 
> 
> David,
>    Signons3 is no longer used (v3.5).  There is a file called 
> signons.sqlite which now contains active password file.  However, 
> deleting that file will cause FF 3.5x to look for signons3 and make a 
> new file.

Thanks that  documentation is getting a little messy without clear
upper ranges. 
1
David
8/4/2009 6:36:54 PM
On 04.08.2009 15:23 UK Time, David McRitchie wrote:
> "Herb" ...
>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
>> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
>> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in 
>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords 
>> button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it 
>> could have happened other than through some interaction with the Clear 
>> Recent History function.
>>
>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>> order to restore the passwords?
> 
> The setup in   Tools, Options, Privacy  can be very deadly indeed
> click on the   Settings   button and make sure you only have   only 
> checkmarked:
>      Cache,     and   Offsite Website Data
>      A dialog where almost everything could really damage your usage.
> also make sure you did not checkmark   Tools, Options. Privacy
>       Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
> and check your title bar to make sure it does not show "(Private 
> browsing)".
> 
> Of course if you are in a  Private session (new in FF 3.5),  terminating 
> the private session
> will put  you back to where you were before the private session.
>     Tools,  Start Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>     Tools,  Stop Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
> 
> The profile files are described in 
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
> in FF 3.*    with Firefox down you would need to restore both
>    signons3.txt      and     key3.db
> 

Thanks for your reply.

I just upgraded from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 and guess what?

My passwords have miraculously reappeared! 8-)

Do you think I should see my doctor re. early signs of hallucinations, 
or is there a rational explanation? =-O

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
1
Herb
8/5/2009 12:23:19 PM
 Herbert Eppel wrote:
> My passwords have miraculously reappeared! 8-)
> 
> Do you think I should see my doctor re. early signs of hallucinations, 
> or is there a rational explanation? =-O
 
No!   Without internet access you'd go crazy, and never get out. 
1
David
8/5/2009 1:00:57 PM
On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
> 
> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in view 
> of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords button 
> (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it could have 
> happened other than through some interaction with the Clear Recent 
> History function.
> 
> Any comments?
> 
> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
> order to restore the passwords?
> 

It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent History 
function, and all my passwords have disappeared - arrrghhhh!!!

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
1
Herb
11/3/2009 2:58:36 PM
On 04.08.2009 16:00 UK Time, Ron Hunter wrote:
> David McRitchie wrote:
>> "Herb" ...
>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
>>> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
>>> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in 
>>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords 
>>> button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it 
>>> could have happened other than through some interaction with the 
>>> Clear Recent History function.
>>>
>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>>> order to restore the passwords?
>>
>> The setup in   Tools, Options, Privacy  can be very deadly indeed
>> click on the   Settings   button and make sure you only have   only 
>> checkmarked:
>>       Cache,     and   Offsite Website Data
>>       A dialog where almost everything could really damage your usage.
>> also make sure you did not checkmark   Tools, Options. Privacy
>>        Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
>> and check your title bar to make sure it does not show "(Private 
>> browsing)".
>>
>> Of course if you are in a  Private session (new in FF 3.5),  
>> terminating the private session
>> will put  you back to where you were before the private session.
>>      Tools,  Start Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>>      Tools,  Stop Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>>
>> The profile files are described in 
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
>> in FF 3.*    with Firefox down you would need to restore both
>>     signons3.txt      and     key3.db
>>
> 
> David,
>    Signons3 is no longer used (v3.5).  There is a file called 
> signons.sqlite which now contains active password file.  However, 
> deleting that file will cause FF 3.5x to look for signons3 and make a 
> new file.

Just to be clear, which file(s) should I copy from my laptop in order to 
restore my saved passwords?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
-1
Herb
11/3/2009 3:00:04 PM
On 03.11.2009 15:00 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> On 04.08.2009 16:00 UK Time, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> David McRitchie wrote:
>>> "Herb" ...
>>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used 
>>>> the Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, 
>>>> and now all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>>
>>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in 
>>>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords 
>>>> button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it 
>>>> could have happened other than through some interaction with the 
>>>> Clear Recent History function.
>>>>
>>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>>>> order to restore the passwords?
>>>
>>> The setup in   Tools, Options, Privacy  can be very deadly indeed
>>> click on the   Settings   button and make sure you only have   only 
>>> checkmarked:
>>>       Cache,     and   Offsite Website Data
>>>       A dialog where almost everything could really damage your usage.
>>> also make sure you did not checkmark   Tools, Options. Privacy
>>>        Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
>>> and check your title bar to make sure it does not show "(Private 
>>> browsing)".
>>>
>>> Of course if you are in a  Private session (new in FF 3.5),  
>>> terminating the private session
>>> will put  you back to where you were before the private session.
>>>      Tools,  Start Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>>>      Tools,  Stop Private Browsing   (Ctrl+Shift+P)
>>>
>>> The profile files are described in 
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
>>> in FF 3.*    with Firefox down you would need to restore both
>>>     signons3.txt      and     key3.db
>>>
>>
>> David,
>>    Signons3 is no longer used (v3.5).  There is a file called 
>> signons.sqlite which now contains active password file.  However, 
>> deleting that file will cause FF 3.5x to look for signons3 and make a 
>> new file.
> 
> Just to be clear, which file(s) should I copy from my laptop in order to 
> restore my saved passwords?
> 

Deleting signons.sqlite (or perhaps simply restarting FF?) seems to have 
done the trick 8-)

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
1
Herb
11/3/2009 3:39:36 PM
On 03.11.2009 14:58 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the 
>> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now 
>> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in 
>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords 
>> button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it 
>> could have happened other than through some interaction with the Clear 
>> Recent History function.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>> order to restore the passwords?
>>
> 
> It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent History 
> function, and all my passwords have disappeared - arrrghhhh!!!
> 
> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

This strange behaviour is still present in 3.6.

This is what happens:
After I use the Clear Recent History function all my saved passwords 
temporarily disappear and miraculously reappear when I restart FF.

Very odd, isn't it?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
1
Herb
1/28/2010 1:18:40 PM
"Herb" <HE@UK> wrote in message news:DaKdnYJBCYYtE_zWnZ2dnUVZ_jVi4p2d@mozilla.org...
> On 03.11.2009 14:58 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 
>>> 3.5.1, and now all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all 
>>> passwords button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it could have happened other than through some 
>>> interaction with the Clear Recent History function.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>>>
>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in order to restore the passwords?
>>>
>>
>> It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent History function, and all my passwords have disappeared - 
>> arrrghhhh!!!
>>
>> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> This strange behaviour is still present in 3.6.
>
> This is what happens:
> After I use the Clear Recent History function all my saved passwords temporarily disappear and miraculously reappear when I 
> restart FF.


The immediate fix for anyone losing their bookmarks is to immediately
restore them from one of the last five day backups built-in to Firefox
by  acting on  the first section is   "Restoring bookmarks from backup"
  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-_Firefox

It doesn't help that the designers have changed the meaning of what
they mean by history in Firefox.    Since you are are a regular here
I'm sure it's something else but  make sure passwords is not checkmarked
in   Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ...

"Clear Recent  History" is a part of  Private browsing  and sounds like a confusion of the
all encompassing   history as opposed what browser users  think of
as history.    http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2009/06/30/firefox-35-and-privacy/

This bug is interesting after losing passwords being asked to try
"Safe Mode"  (looks  like passwords is the only thing it's  not designed to destroy)
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919

bugzilla search:   "clear recent history" passwords
 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance%20desc&bug_status=__all__&product=Firefox&content=%22clear%20recent%20history%22%20passwordsBug 472226 - Attempt to avoid accidental dataloss by removing"saved passwords" from clear recent history dialog (not history anddoesn't respect timeframe)   [Marked as Fixed, but  having residual code] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472226Bug 480169 - Clear recent history refresh (sprint) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=480169Bug 490702 - Remove obsolete leftovers from removed clear passwordsand offline data options in clear recent history dialog https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490702Bug 538919 - Firefox wont remember cookies nor saved passwordsafter using private browsing. Must restart browser https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919
1
David
1/28/2010 3:57:55 PM
On 28.01.2010 15:57 UK Time, David McRitchie wrote:
> "Herb" <HE@UK> wrote in message 
> news:DaKdnYJBCYYtE_zWnZ2dnUVZ_jVi4p2d@mozilla.org...
>> On 03.11.2009 14:58 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>> On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used 
>>>> the Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, 
>>>> and now all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>>
>>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in 
>>>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords 
>>>> button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it 
>>>> could have happened other than through some interaction with the 
>>>> Clear Recent History function.
>>>>
>>>> Any comments?
>>>>
>>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in 
>>>> order to restore the passwords?
>>>>
>>>
>>> It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent History 
>>> function, and all my passwords have disappeared - arrrghhhh!!!
>>>
>>> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> This strange behaviour is still present in 3.6.
>>
>> This is what happens:
>> After I use the Clear Recent History function all my saved passwords 
>> temporarily disappear and miraculously reappear when I restart FF.
> 
> 
> The immediate fix for anyone losing their bookmarks is to immediately
> restore them from one of the last five day backups built-in to Firefox
> by  acting on  the first section is   "Restoring bookmarks from backup"
>  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-_Firefox
> 
> It doesn't help that the designers have changed the meaning of what
> they mean by history in Firefox.    Since you are are a regular here
> I'm sure it's something else but  make sure passwords is not checkmarked
> in   Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ...
> 
> "Clear Recent  History" is a part of  Private browsing  and sounds like 
> a confusion of the
> all encompassing   history as opposed what browser users  think of
> as history.    
> http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2009/06/30/firefox-35-and-privacy/
> 
> This bug is interesting after losing passwords being asked to try
> "Safe Mode"  (looks  like passwords is the only thing it's  not designed 
> to destroy)
>   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919
> 
> bugzilla search:   "clear recent history" passwords
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance%20desc&bug_status=__all__&product=Firefox&content=%22clear%20recent%20history%22%20passwordsBug 
> 472226 - Attempt to avoid accidental dataloss by removing"saved 
> passwords" from clear recent history dialog (not history anddoesn't 
> respect timeframe)   [Marked as Fixed, but  having residual code] 
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472226Bug 480169 - Clear 
> recent history refresh (sprint) 
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=480169Bug 490702 - Remove 
> obsolete leftovers from removed clear passwordsand offline data options 
> in clear recent history dialog 
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490702Bug 538919 - Firefox 
> wont remember cookies nor saved passwordsafter using private browsing. 
> Must restart browser https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

Please note that my bookmarks aren't actually lost (and if they were I 
could easily recover them from my laptop or external USB backup drive).

The *appear* to be lost when I use "Clear Recent History", but they 
magically re-appear when I restart FF.

As for Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ..., this option only 
appears to be active if "Clear history when Firefox closes" is checked, 
which it isn't in my case and the Settings button is therefore greyed out.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
1
Herb
1/28/2010 5:02:50 PM
On 1/28/2010 7:18 AM, Herb wrote:
> On 03.11.2009 14:58 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used the
>>> Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1, and now
>>> all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in
>>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all passwords
>>> button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't see how it
>>> could have happened other than through some interaction with the
>>> Clear Recent History function.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>>>
>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop in
>>> order to restore the passwords?
>>>
>>
>> It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent History
>> function, and all my passwords have disappeared - arrrghhhh!!!
>>
>> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> This strange behaviour is still present in 3.6.
>
> This is what happens:
> After I use the Clear Recent History function all my saved passwords
> temporarily disappear and miraculously reappear when I restart FF.
>
> Very odd, isn't it?
>
Clearing them would be the intended action, if you have clear passwords 
checked in the 'data' section of the clear history settings.  But if it 
is not checked, and the passwords disappear, then it would be rather 
upsetting.
Do you have any extensions that might affect passwords, or the privacy 
settings?


-- 
Ron Hunter -- rphunter@charter.net
1
Ron
1/28/2010 5:13:24 PM
On 1/28/2010 11:02 AM, Herb wrote:
> On 28.01.2010 15:57 UK Time, David McRitchie wrote:
>> "Herb" <HE@UK> wrote in message
>> news:DaKdnYJBCYYtE_zWnZ2dnUVZ_jVi4p2d@mozilla.org...
>>> On 03.11.2009 14:58 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>>> On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used
>>>>> the Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1,
>>>>> and now all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in
>>>>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all
>>>>> passwords button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't
>>>>> see how it could have happened other than through some interaction
>>>>> with the Clear Recent History function.
>>>>>
>>>>> Any comments?
>>>>>
>>>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop
>>>>> in order to restore the passwords?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent
>>>> History function, and all my passwords have disappeared - arrrghhhh!!!
>>>>
>>>> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
>>>
>>> This strange behaviour is still present in 3.6.
>>>
>>> This is what happens:
>>> After I use the Clear Recent History function all my saved passwords
>>> temporarily disappear and miraculously reappear when I restart FF.
>>
>>
>> The immediate fix for anyone losing their bookmarks is to immediately
>> restore them from one of the last five day backups built-in to Firefox
>> by acting on the first section is "Restoring bookmarks from backup"
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-_Firefox
>>
>> It doesn't help that the designers have changed the meaning of what
>> they mean by history in Firefox. Since you are are a regular here
>> I'm sure it's something else but make sure passwords is not checkmarked
>> in Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ...
>>
>> "Clear Recent History" is a part of Private browsing and sounds like a
>> confusion of the
>> all encompassing history as opposed what browser users think of
>> as history.
>> http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2009/06/30/firefox-35-and-privacy/
>>
>> This bug is interesting after losing passwords being asked to try
>> "Safe Mode" (looks like passwords is the only thing it's not designed
>> to destroy)
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919
>>
>> bugzilla search: "clear recent history" passwords
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance%20desc&bug_status=__all__&product=Firefox&content=%22clear%20recent%20history%22%20passwordsBug
>> 472226 - Attempt to avoid accidental dataloss by removing"saved
>> passwords" from clear recent history dialog (not history anddoesn't
>> respect timeframe) [Marked as Fixed, but having residual code]
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472226Bug 480169 - Clear
>> recent history refresh (sprint)
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=480169Bug 490702 - Remove
>> obsolete leftovers from removed clear passwordsand offline data
>> options in clear recent history dialog
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490702Bug 538919 -
>> Firefox wont remember cookies nor saved passwordsafter using private
>> browsing. Must restart browser
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919
>
> Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
>
> Please note that my bookmarks aren't actually lost (and if they were I
> could easily recover them from my laptop or external USB backup drive).
>
> The *appear* to be lost when I use "Clear Recent History", but they
> magically re-appear when I restart FF.
>
> As for Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ..., this option only
> appears to be active if "Clear history when Firefox closes" is checked,
> which it isn't in my case and the Settings button is therefore greyed out.
>
??  I thought you said your PASSWORDS disappeared, but came back.  Which 
is it, bookmarks, or passwords, or both?


-- 
Ron Hunter -- rphunter@charter.net
-1
Ron
1/28/2010 5:15:34 PM
On 28.01.2010 17:15 UK Time, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 1/28/2010 11:02 AM, Herb wrote:
>> On 28.01.2010 15:57 UK Time, David McRitchie wrote:
>>> "Herb" <HE@UK> wrote in message
>>> news:DaKdnYJBCYYtE_zWnZ2dnUVZ_jVi4p2d@mozilla.org...
>>>> On 03.11.2009 14:58 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>>>> On 04.08.2009 14:50 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>>>>>> I'm not sure whether this is coincidence, but this morning I used
>>>>>> the Clear Recent History function for the first time in FF 3.5.1,
>>>>>> and now all my saved passwords have disappeared =-O
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the passwords intentionally and in
>>>>>> view of the fact that I removed/deactivated the Delete all
>>>>>> passwords button (or whatever it was called) some time ago, I can't
>>>>>> see how it could have happened other than through some interaction
>>>>>> with the Clear Recent History function.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Any comments?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Can someone remind me which file(s) I need to copy from my laptop
>>>>>> in order to restore the passwords?
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> It just happened again in 3.5.4, i.e. I used the Clear Recent
>>>>> History function, and all my passwords have disappeared - arrrghhhh!!!
>>>>>
>>>>> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
>>>>
>>>> This strange behaviour is still present in 3.6.
>>>>
>>>> This is what happens:
>>>> After I use the Clear Recent History function all my saved passwords
>>>> temporarily disappear and miraculously reappear when I restart FF.
>>>
>>>
>>> The immediate fix for anyone losing their bookmarks is to immediately
>>> restore them from one of the last five day backups built-in to Firefox
>>> by acting on the first section is "Restoring bookmarks from backup"
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-_Firefox
>>>
>>> It doesn't help that the designers have changed the meaning of what
>>> they mean by history in Firefox. Since you are are a regular here
>>> I'm sure it's something else but make sure passwords is not checkmarked
>>> in Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ...
>>>
>>> "Clear Recent History" is a part of Private browsing and sounds like a
>>> confusion of the
>>> all encompassing history as opposed what browser users think of
>>> as history.
>>> http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2009/06/30/firefox-35-and-privacy/
>>>
>>> This bug is interesting after losing passwords being asked to try
>>> "Safe Mode" (looks like passwords is the only thing it's not designed
>>> to destroy)
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919
>>>
>>> bugzilla search: "clear recent history" passwords
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance%20desc&bug_status=__all__&product=Firefox&content=%22clear%20recent%20history%22%20passwordsBug 
>>>
>>> 472226 - Attempt to avoid accidental dataloss by removing"saved
>>> passwords" from clear recent history dialog (not history anddoesn't
>>> respect timeframe) [Marked as Fixed, but having residual code]
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472226Bug 480169 - Clear
>>> recent history refresh (sprint)
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=480169Bug 490702 - Remove
>>> obsolete leftovers from removed clear passwordsand offline data
>>> options in clear recent history dialog
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490702Bug 538919 -
>>> Firefox wont remember cookies nor saved passwordsafter using private
>>> browsing. Must restart browser
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538919
>>
>> Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
>>
>> Please note that my bookmarks aren't actually lost (and if they were I
>> could easily recover them from my laptop or external USB backup drive).
>>
>> The *appear* to be lost when I use "Clear Recent History", but they
>> magically re-appear when I restart FF.
>>
>> As for Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ..., this option only
>> appears to be active if "Clear history when Firefox closes" is checked,
>> which it isn't in my case and the Settings button is therefore greyed 
>> out.
>>
> ??  I thought you said your PASSWORDS disappeared, but came back.  Which 
> is it, bookmarks, or passwords, or both?
> 

I meant passwords, not bookmarks, sorry about the confusion.

Actually, I blame David for the confusion because he started talking 
about bookmarks and I picked it up from his reply :-)

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk
-1
Herb
1/28/2010 5:25:55 PM
"Herb" <...
> On 28.01.2010 17:15 UK Time, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 1/28/2010 11:02 AM, Herb wrote:
>>> As for Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings -> ..., this option only
>>> appears to be active if "Clear history when Firefox closes" is checked,
>>> which it isn't in my case and the Settings button is therefore greyed 
>>> out.
>>>
>> ??  I thought you said your PASSWORDS disappeared, but came back.  Which 
>> is it, bookmarks, or passwords, or both?
>> 
> 
> I meant passwords, not bookmarks, sorry about the confusion.
> 
> Actually, I blame David for the confusion because he started talking 
> about bookmarks and I picked it up from his reply :-)

Sorry about that,  the bug reports were about  passwords though
and seem to  indicate an ongoing problem even though some are  
marked fixed.

 
1
David
1/28/2010 6:07:47 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

saved passwords disappeared after installi8ng that new 3.09 firefox
Name: d Product: Firefox Summary: saved passwords disappeared after installi8ng that new 3.09 firefox Comments: i jst upgraded to Tiger on my G4 powerbook and so re installed firefox whilst having backed up 'profiles' on my ext HD for passwords etc and when i installed the upgrade, after a couple of days, suddenly my saved passwords and bookmarks had gone. Nobody uses the computer cept me and i hadn't deleted anything or done any weird clean ups since my whole system was cleaned w the erase and install process. So then i put back the profiles again with the 3.0.8 f...

saved passwords disappeared after installi8ng that new 3.09 firefox #2
Name: d Product: Firefox Summary: saved passwords disappeared after installi8ng that new 3.09 firefox Comments: i jst upgraded to Tiger on my G4 powerbook and so re installed firefox whilst having backed up 'profiles' on my ext HD for passwords etc and when i installed the upgrade, after a couple of days, suddenly my saved passwords and bookmarks had gone. Nobody uses the computer cept me and i hadn't deleted anything or done any weird clean ups since my whole system was cleaned w the erase and install process. So then i put back the profiles again with the 3.0.8 f...

Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server
Name: Vladimir Ilyash Email: fundamentatoratyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server Comments: When I access Firefox 3 Beta 5 through local proxy-server and open a new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs it opens so many saved password dialog windows as there are tabs opened. So I need to click OK in every dialog window to allow access to proxy with saved credentials and load all saved tabs. Moreover, whene...

[Hendrix] Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server
Name: Vladimir Ilyash Email: fundamentatoratyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Firefox 3 Beta 5 opens multiple saved password dialog windows when open new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs when access the web through proxy server Comments: When I access Firefox 3 Beta 5 through local proxy-server and open a new session of Firefox with multiple saved tabs it opens so many saved password dialog windows as there are tabs opened. So I need to click OK in every dialog window to allow access to proxy with saved credentials and load all saved tabs. Moreover, whene...

Saved Passwords: master password for hiding saved passwords but not for using them
Name: Josh Abbe Email: joshabbe2atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Saved Passwords: master password for hiding saved passwords but not for using them Comments: Hey Firefox, I love how you save my passwords for sites that I frequent. Under tools/options/security, I am able to view all of my passwords that I have saved for various sites. I have a few issues with this. First of all, the default is to just show all passwords to anyone who tries to see them. So, if my roommate uses firefox but doesnt know much about computers and just clicks "save my password ...

Firefox does not save all passwords
I just started using Firefox as my main browser. A great feature is that it saves the log in information (user name and password) for most sites. But there are quite a few sites where Firefox does not save the log in information (e.g. American Express). Why is it? Is there anyway to manually save the log in information? Thanks. tenplay wrote: > I just started using Firefox as my main browser. A great feature is > that it saves the log in information (user name and password) for most > sites. But there are quite a few sites where Firefox does not save the >...

FireFox no saving Passwords.
What do I need to set in about config in FF2.0.0.11 to make FF save passwords. It will abide by passwords already entered but if you change a password and the remove the listing to reset It won't save the password. No problems in SM 1.1.7 -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Phillip M. Jones, CET http://www.vpea.org If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9...

Error when firefox asks to save entered password/username and entered password is empty
Name: Palm Kevin Email: palmdotkevinatgmxdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Error when firefox asks to save entered password/username and entered password is empty Comments: When firefox asks to save entered password/username and entered password is empty (toolbar that appears on top of page after the user/pwd has been entered) than the following unnormal beahiour occurs: When click on remember, bar doesn't dissapear! and next time I go to this page user/password have not been saved! I'd like Firefox to always remember entered username and passord (empty in this case) ...

Firefox Saved Passwords
Name: Ashley Hoskins Email: ash-hoskathotmaildotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Saved Passwords Comments: In the saveed passwords pannel other people are able to view your passwords. I think you should be able to set a password to be able to view your saved passwords. Otherwise someone could just load up Firefox open the Options pannel click Show Passwords and get access to everything you have on the internet. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.moz...

Starting up Firefox with multiple tabs saved, multiple prompts for proxy password and master password occur
Name: Pavel Tcholakov Email: pcholakovatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Starting up Firefox with multiple tabs saved, multiple prompts for proxy password and master password occur Comments: If using a proxy that requires a password, when Firefox is started and multiple tabs have been saved from a prevoius session, there will be multiple proxy password dialogs popped up. If a Master Password is used, there will also be multiple password dialgos for that - one per tab saved from the previous session. Firefox should only prompt for a password once, globally, not once per t...

Option to start firefox with no Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, saved passwords, authenticated sessions.
Name: Poul Wittig Email: poulwittigatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Option to start firefox with no Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History, Cache, Cookies, saved passwords, authenticated sessions. Comments: I own a laptop, and there are many situations in which a classmate/parent/whatever wish to borrow my computer to either check there email, calender or simply just surf the web. Now it would be great if there was an option to start Firefox with no personal information such as Browsing History, Download History, Saved Form and Search History...

The new Firefox 3.5
Name: Daniel Email: bossennewpatgarrifuliodotmailexpiredotcom Product: Firefox Summary: The new Firefox 3.5 - when using same username for different sites with different passwords, when I save the password on one site, the one in the other site changes too. Comments: The new Firefox 3.5 - when using same username to log on to two different websites with different passwords, when I save the password on one site, the one in the other site changes too. I cannot save different passwords for same username on different sites. Hope you can fix this. Keep up the good work. Brow...

Forcing firefox to save passwords
Several websites apparently do something to prevent me from saving my username and password. Is there a way of forcing firefox to save these items? I'm reluctant to muck up my password file with intuitive experimentation... -- Cheers, Bev *************************************************************** When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb. On 24.01.2006 18:36 UK Time, The Real Bev wrote: > Several websites apparently do something to prevent me from saving my > username and password. Is there a way of forcing firefox to save these > it...

Prevent saving Password in firefox
I am working on a login page. On firefox, it always provides user to remember the user ID and Password. I want to prevent the browser automaticly remember user ID and password. I can't remove it on coding. Anyone have any idea? I really appreciate. Thanks That is Client side so you can write a Jqvascript code snippet that clears that field .... Offcourse you can disable in browser itself from .... Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Passwords -> View Saved Passwords -> Passwords Never SavedASP.Net Tips & Tricks - Jawad's Blog Thanks. I write a small piece of Javascript. Th...

Web resources about - Saved passwords have disappeared - mozilla.support.firefox

List of people who disappeared mysteriously - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... ), where modern Belgium is located. According to the writer Florus (iii.10.8), Ambiorix and his men managed to cross the Rhine and disappeared ...

What If Humans Disappeared? - YouTube
If we suddenly disappeared, what would happen to our planet? Squarespace: http://squarespace.com/asap click for a free trial and 10% off Why ...

Boy, 13, who disappeared four years ago is reunited with his mother
A 13-year-old boy who had been missing for four years has been reunited with his family after police found him hidden behind a wall in his father's ...

Police searching Willunga property of Dale McCauley, who disappeared in 1998 and is believed to have ...
POLICE are searching a Willunga house, and a dam at a nearby property, over the disappearance and suspected murder of a man 17 years ago.

Neighbours recall barking dogs, scream-like noise when wife disappeared
If anyone had a sense something was amiss in the Brisbane suburb of Brookfield on the night Allison Baden-Clay disappeared, it was her neighbours' ...

American disappeared in Iran on rogue CIA mission
An American man who disappeared in Iran more than six years ago had been working for the CIA in what US intelligence officials describe as a ...

CCTV shows man in a blue hoodie spoke to missing ABC worker Jill Meagher moments before she disappeared ...
LIVE COVERAGE: A MAN in a blue hoodie was seen talking to Jill Meagher moments before her disappearance, CCTV footage reveals.

Intruder seen snooping at Rayney home after Corryn disappeared, Lloyd Rayney testifies in 170-page statement ...
LLOYD Rayney claims a “big” and “bald” intruder wearing gloves was seen by a neighbour snooping around his Como home in the days after his wife ...

Television stars who disappeared from the limelight, and where they went - PerthNow Search Search
FOR a while, these stars of television shone brightly and enjoyed a period of fame and acting success.

Gerard Baden-Clay trial: Allison Baden-Clay seemed 'fine and happy' on day she disappeared
Brisbane mother Allison Baden-Clay seemed &#8220;fine and happy&#8221; as she dropped her children at school on the day she disappeared, a court ...

Resources last updated: 1/23/2016 11:42:29 PM