Saved Passwords Disappeared on Update

I installed the latest update of Firefox today (release
channel, 32.0.3).  (Windows 7 PC, fully updated).  Shortly
after that, I tried to use a saved password, a feature I
have been using for years.  However, the password did not
show up in the dialogue box after I entered my user name,
and Firefox did not save the password after I entered it
manually.  I checked the Security Options, and "save
passwords" was still checked, but the list of saved
passwords had disappeared, as had the list of exceptions.

This happened with the previous update.  That time, I closed
Firefox and reopened it, and the passwords were back.  This
time, I did the same thing, and the passwords did not return.

I did a Google search of "lost passwords in Firefox", and
the responses were about either lost master passwords or
profile problems.  I do not seem to have lost my master
password, and my profile seems to be otherwise OK, if
bookmarks are an indicator (i.e., they are all there).

Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, do you have a
solution?
I back up my app data nightly, and I should have good files
to replace any files that got corrupt.  As an amateur, my
instinct is to replace as few files as necessary, so if
there are a couple of files for the passwords, please let me
know.  However, if replacing the profile is the better
procedure, I would appreciate a little help doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
3
Neil
9/30/2014 6:02:59 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23878 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 2014-09-30 2:02 PM, Neil wrote:
> I installed the latest update of Firefox today (release channel,
> 32.0.3).  (Windows 7 PC, fully updated).  Shortly after that, I tried to
> use a saved password, a feature I have been using for years.  However,
> the password did not show up in the dialogue box after I entered my user
> name, and Firefox did not save the password after I entered it
> manually.  I checked the Security Options, and "save passwords" was
> still checked, but the list of saved passwords had disappeared, as had
> the list of exceptions.
>
> This happened with the previous update.  That time, I closed Firefox and
> reopened it, and the passwords were back.  This time, I did the same
> thing, and the passwords did not return.
>
> I did a Google search of "lost passwords in Firefox", and the responses
> were about either lost master passwords or profile problems.  I do not
> seem to have lost my master password, and my profile seems to be
> otherwise OK, if bookmarks are an indicator (i.e., they are all there).
>
> Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, do you have a solution?
> I back up my app data nightly, and I should have good files to replace
> any files that got corrupt.  As an amateur, my instinct is to replace as
> few files as necessary, so if there are a couple of files for the
> passwords, please let me know.  However, if replacing the profile is the
> better procedure, I would appreciate a little help doing it.

There are changes to the password manager in the latest major update, so
something may be preventing your previous passwords from being imported.
The Remember Passwords extension is one possibility.

You can force Firefox to re-import your old passwords. Here's how:
1. In the location bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes) and
press <Enter>.
2. Click [I'll be careful, I Promise!]
3. Search for the preference: signon.importedFromSqlite
4. Right click on signon.importedFromSqlite, and select "Reset".
5. Go to Help-->Troubleshooting_Information, then click on [Open
Folder]. That will open Windows Explorer in your Firefox profile.
6. Close Firefox
7. In your profile folder, delete the file "logins.json".

The next time you start Firefox, it should re-import your passwords from
your old passwords file.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2014-09-30 2:02 PM, Neil wrote: <snip>
>>
> There are changes to the password manager in the latest
> major update, so something may be preventing your previous
> passwords from being imported. The Remember Passwords
> extension is one possibility.
>
> You can force Firefox to re-import your old passwords.
> Here's how:
> 1. In the location bar, type "about:config" (without the
> quotes) and press <Enter>.
> 2. Click [I'll be careful, I Promise!]
> 3. Search for the preference: signon.importedFromSqlite
> 4. Right click on signon.importedFromSqlite, and select
> "Reset".
> 5. Go to Help-->Troubleshooting_Information, then click on
> [Open Folder]. That will open Windows Explorer in your
> Firefox profile.
> 6. Close Firefox
> 7. In your profile folder, delete the file "logins.json".
>
> The next time you start Firefox, it should re-import your
> passwords from your old passwords file.

Chris,

	Thanks for the tip.  I checked my add-ons, and I do have
Remember Passwords.  The funny thing is that it was not
disabled, but it was marked for being disabled on restart as
incompatible with FF32.0.3.  I restarted without changing
the signon preference, and the passwords are back.  But I
will save these instructions, as they seem like they could
be useful for a lot of reasons.

	Neil

3
Neil

Web resources about - Saved Passwords Disappeared on Update - mozilla.support.firefox

List of people who disappeared mysteriously - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... ), where modern Belgium is located. According to the writer Florus (iii.10.8), Ambiorix and his men managed to cross the Rhine and disappeared ...

What If Humans Disappeared? - YouTube
If we suddenly disappeared, what would happen to our planet? Squarespace: http://squarespace.com/asap click for a free trial and 10% off Why ...

Boy, 13, who disappeared four years ago is reunited with his mother
A 13-year-old boy who had been missing for four years has been reunited with his family after police found him hidden behind a wall in his father's ...

Police searching Willunga property of Dale McCauley, who disappeared in 1998 and is believed to have ...
POLICE are searching a Willunga house, and a dam at a nearby property, over the disappearance and suspected murder of a man 17 years ago.

Neighbours recall barking dogs, scream-like noise when wife disappeared
If anyone had a sense something was amiss in the Brisbane suburb of Brookfield on the night Allison Baden-Clay disappeared, it was her neighbours' ...

American disappeared in Iran on rogue CIA mission
An American man who disappeared in Iran more than six years ago had been working for the CIA in what US intelligence officials describe as a ...

CCTV shows man in a blue hoodie spoke to missing ABC worker Jill Meagher moments before she disappeared ...
LIVE COVERAGE: A MAN in a blue hoodie was seen talking to Jill Meagher moments before her disappearance, CCTV footage reveals.

Intruder seen snooping at Rayney home after Corryn disappeared, Lloyd Rayney testifies in 170-page statement ...
LLOYD Rayney claims a “big” and “bald” intruder wearing gloves was seen by a neighbour snooping around his Como home in the days after his wife ...

Television stars who disappeared from the limelight, and where they went - PerthNow Search Search
FOR a while, these stars of television shone brightly and enjoyed a period of fame and acting success.

Gerard Baden-Clay trial: Allison Baden-Clay seemed 'fine and happy' on day she disappeared
Brisbane mother Allison Baden-Clay seemed &#8220;fine and happy&#8221; as she dropped her children at school on the day she disappeared, a court ...