Saved Passwords Disappeared on Update

I installed the latest update of Firefox today (release
channel, 32.0.3).  (Windows 7 PC, fully updated).  Shortly
after that, I tried to use a saved password, a feature I
have been using for years.  However, the password did not
show up in the dialogue box after I entered my user name,
and Firefox did not save the password after I entered it
manually.  I checked the Security Options, and "save
passwords" was still checked, but the list of saved
passwords had disappeared, as had the list of exceptions.

This happened with the previous update.  That time, I closed
Firefox and reopened it, and the passwords were back.  This
time, I did the same thing, and the passwords did not return.

I did a Google search of "lost passwords in Firefox", and
the responses were about either lost master passwords or
profile problems.  I do not seem to have lost my master
password, and my profile seems to be otherwise OK, if
bookmarks are an indicator (i.e., they are all there).

Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, do you have a
solution?
I back up my app data nightly, and I should have good files
to replace any files that got corrupt.  As an amateur, my
instinct is to replace as few files as necessary, so if
there are a couple of files for the passwords, please let me
know.  However, if replacing the profile is the better
procedure, I would appreciate a little help doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
15
Neil

On 2014-09-30 2:02 PM, Neil wrote:
> I installed the latest update of Firefox today (release channel,
> 32.0.3).  (Windows 7 PC, fully updated).  Shortly after that, I tried to
> use a saved password, a feature I have been using for years.  However,
> the password did not show up in the dialogue box after I entered my user
> name, and Firefox did not save the password after I entered it
> manually.  I checked the Security Options, and "save passwords" was
> still checked, but the list of saved passwords had disappeared, as had
> the list of exceptions.
>
> This happened with the previous update.  That time, I closed Firefox and
> reopened it, and the passwords were back.  This time, I did the same
> thing, and the passwords did not return.
>
> I did a Google search of "lost passwords in Firefox", and the responses
> were about either lost master passwords or profile problems.  I do not
> seem to have lost my master password, and my profile seems to be
> otherwise OK, if bookmarks are an indicator (i.e., they are all there).
>
> Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, do you have a solution?
> I back up my app data nightly, and I should have good files to replace
> any files that got corrupt.  As an amateur, my instinct is to replace as
> few files as necessary, so if there are a couple of files for the
> passwords, please let me know.  However, if replacing the profile is the
> better procedure, I would appreciate a little help doing it.

There are changes to the password manager in the latest major update, so
something may be preventing your previous passwords from being imported.
The Remember Passwords extension is one possibility.

You can force Firefox to re-import your old passwords. Here's how:
1. In the location bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes) and
press <Enter>.
2. Click [I'll be careful, I Promise!]
3. Search for the preference: signon.importedFromSqlite
4. Right click on signon.importedFromSqlite, and select "Reset".
5. Go to Help-->Troubleshooting_Information, then click on [Open
Folder]. That will open Windows Explorer in your Firefox profile.
6. Close Firefox
7. In your profile folder, delete the file "logins.json".

The next time you start Firefox, it should re-import your passwords from
your old passwords file.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2014-09-30 2:02 PM, Neil wrote: <snip>
>>
> There are changes to the password manager in the latest
> major update, so something may be preventing your previous
> passwords from being imported. The Remember Passwords
> extension is one possibility.
>
> You can force Firefox to re-import your old passwords.
> Here's how:
> 1. In the location bar, type "about:config" (without the
> quotes) and press <Enter>.
> 2. Click [I'll be careful, I Promise!]
> 3. Search for the preference: signon.importedFromSqlite
> 4. Right click on signon.importedFromSqlite, and select
> "Reset".
> 5. Go to Help-->Troubleshooting_Information, then click on
> [Open Folder]. That will open Windows Explorer in your
> Firefox profile.
> 6. Close Firefox
> 7. In your profile folder, delete the file "logins.json".
>
> The next time you start Firefox, it should re-import your
> passwords from your old passwords file.

Chris,

	Thanks for the tip.  I checked my add-ons, and I do have
Remember Passwords.  The funny thing is that it was not
disabled, but it was marked for being disabled on restart as
incompatible with FF32.0.3.  I restarted without changing
the signon preference, and the passwords are back.  But I
will save these instructions, as they seem like they could
be useful for a lot of reasons.

	Neil

1
Neil